Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Regular Nintendo posted:

Should the song at the end have been "arms wide open" or "take me higher" :thunk:

DuckTales- The Moon ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I mean civ 6 had a similar issue where they crippled their ai by misspelling yield :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's incomprehensible to me that there apparently isn't any error logging when using unknown keywords/references/whatever in configuration files. This is 101 level poo poo, goddamn.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

synthetik posted:

Single letter fixes the AI in Aliens : Colonel Marines.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul/news/the-biggest-bug-in-the-game-is-just-one-letter-long

tldr: Teather != Tether in the .ini file
PC Gamer tested this and has a little bit of comparison footage...wow.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/all-this-time-aliens-colonial-marines-stupid-ai-may-have-been-caused-by-a-single-typo

edit: I forgot that the game also came out on consoles, so I guess they're SOL

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Jul 14, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
This aliens thing is the funniest gaming thing I've heard in a while. How did noone on the team notice? You don't need QA to tell you these things when you're the one making the AI and I'm assuming it worked on during the build, you would notice this.

If this had happened in No Mans Sky I could understand, because they would just act like they were adding features later by tweaking it to run right.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Jul 14, 2018

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Quill posted:

The incompetence is astounding. I bet that Gearbox won't put out an official patch either, because that would mean owning up to their mistake. Maybe Randy Pitchford will start twittering up some indefensible nonsense again.

Why would they put out a patch for a 5 year old game that doesn't sell in any significant numbers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LifeSunDeath posted:

This aliens thing is the funniest gaming thing I've heard in a while. How did noone on the team notice? You don't need QA to tell you these things when you're the one making the AI and I'm assuming it worked on during the build, you would notice this.

If this had happened in No Mans Sky I could understand, because they would just act like they were adding features later by tweaking it to run right.

Supposedly Gearbox was putting all their efforts into Borderlands 2 at the same time, so no one noticed because no one cared.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy :laffo:

I worked with a guy (who got out of the games industry) who worked for a support studio on A:CM and he described his experience as basically the kobiyashi maru of games development. Gonna send this news his way

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They were also allegedly embezzling (is that the right word for this context?) money from Alien's budget and putting it towards Borderlands 2 instead.

Not that there is any proof of that, otherwise I imagine that Sega would have sued.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

spongeh posted:

Why would they put out a patch for a 5 year old game that doesn't sell in any significant numbers.

To gain even a small measure of consumer confidence back by using zero resources? It would show that they care about the quality of their work and some of their customers might appreciate it. As long as Gearbox keeps making games, their image matters.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Veotax posted:

They were also allegedly embezzling (is that the right word for this context?) money from Alien's budget and putting it towards Borderlands 2 instead.

Not that there is any proof of that, otherwise I imagine that Sega would have sued.

drat, disgusting if true. Not because it's unfair on the people working on A:CM, but because all Borderlands games are complete dogshit anyway.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Jeza posted:

drat, disgusting if true. Not because it's unfair on the people working on A:CM, but because all Borderlands games are complete dogshit anyway.

Tales was good.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quill posted:

To gain even a small measure of consumer confidence back by using zero resources? It would show that they care about the quality of their work and some of their customers might appreciate it. As long as Gearbox keeps making games, their image matters.

Nobody remembers or cares about that game

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Regular Nintendo posted:

Nobody remembers or cares about that game

You might not but obviously other people do

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Either way, from what (admittedly little) I understand with how update systems work on consoles/Steam I doubt Gearbox could update it even if they wanted to. Sega is probably the only party that can submit updates to the game since they're the publisher and I doubt they care about that game anymore.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You might not but obviously other people do

There weren't enough people modding the game to find it in 5 years (after the one modder stopped updating his mod pack a couple of years back), and then so few people cared, the comment that found it went ignored for 7 months until now.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Veotax posted:

Either way, from what (admittedly little) I understand with how update systems work on consoles/Steam I doubt Gearbox could update it even if they wanted to. Sega is probably the only party that can submit updates to the game since they're the publisher and I doubt they care about that game anymore.

Yes, anymore

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jeza posted:

Actually they were fun and good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A:CM popped up as a 24h deal on Fanatical the other day and I picked it up for a pittance, so this is perfect timing :)

Its stil available

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/aliens-colonial-marines-collection

but I got it for a whole 20p cheaper :smug:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Veotax posted:

This is a similar story of what happened with the homestuck game. Crowdfunding goes up, the development studio gets paid make game, no news for several months, turns out they spent it all on the new kings quest.

Oops.

Which is why most producers make strict contracts of what has to be delivered by what date or no money for you.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

synthetik posted:

Tales was good.

It also wasn't a Gearbox game (and a rare TT game that was good, at that)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Gearbox needed the extra money to make more hilarious pop culture jokes and make sure every enemy was extra unfun to kill in the higher difficulties

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A little mistake like that can happen to literally anyone. I'm guessing it got overlooked because higher ups didn't give enough time or money to figure out what was wrong.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Gearbox was too busy sacrificing Timegate Studios to care.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

A little mistake like that can happen to literally anyone. I'm guessing it got overlooked because higher ups didn't give enough time or money to figure out what was wrong.

That specific mistake couldn't happen if they had any kind of error checking.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm just always surprised that no one notices (or rather cares I guess) that the AI is way way worse than it is supposed to be.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Krankenstyle posted:

That specific mistake couldn't happen if they had any kind of error checking.

The problem was that the misspelled name was also a legitimate method for some reason. It was probably some bare-bones method used for testing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The problem was that the misspelled name was also a legitimate method for some reason. It was probably some bare-bones method used for testing.

omg then that is the worst possible name for it

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You sure that was the case here? Because I've worked with plenty of programmers whose idea of safe, robust code is
code:
void VeryImportantFunction(input)
{
	if (input is invalid)
		return;

do important things
}

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Triarii posted:

You sure that was the case here? Because I've worked with plenty of programmers whose idea of safe, robust code is
code:
void VeryImportantFunction(input)
{
	if (input is invalid)
		return;

do important things
}

Its what an article I read said.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This popped up on my youtube feed after watching some monster factory and ho boy is it a :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZ_hn98M28

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kikas posted:

This popped up on my youtube feed after watching some monster factory and ho boy is it a :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZ_hn98M28

Its a what?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Let's make the least viable creature we can imagine! OH NO I LOST HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?" :geno:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kikas posted:

oh its the not funny version of Monster Factory

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes, that certainly is a link to a youtube video. that's probably the nicest thing i can say about it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I dunno I really liked “Good luck sneaking up on me now, bad guys!”

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/GameGriffin/status/1021421170145546246

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not a bug, but this guy's videos have been posted here before so it's time for another one of his annual videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWDq35rObV4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hitman Bloodmoney speedrunning has some great stuff. Both glitches and just exploiting the AI, physics & game mechanics.

(starting around 4 minutes) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/289925274?t=4m

Some highlights (gifs by parabolic):
-Activating the end trigger while falling to death:

-Wonky fiber wire physics:

-Wonky elevator physics:

-The wheelchair (the chair itself) counts as a witness and can only be killed using stairs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

-The wheelchair (the chair itself) counts as a witness and can only be killed using stairs:

I'm in love with that sentence