Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

What's better for searching restaurant reviews on a map in London these days? Yelp or Google maps?

There’s the London food thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

My favourite hobby is going to tripadvisor and reading the one-star reviews for places like the Louvre and the Sagrada Familia.

That's a bit harsh. All the places that are super famous and crowded can easily be a 1-star if you're in a stressed out mood and don't have it in you to deal with crowds on that day.

Does the Prado have some of the greatest artworks on Earth, and is the Alhambra a crowning achievement of architecture? Of course. But I'll go back to those places and deal with the crowds when Hell itself freezes over, no sooner. I still gave them both 3 stars because, hey, they're pretty great, but I'd not willingly subject myself to the experience of visiting them again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

That's a bit harsh. All the places that are super famous and crowded can easily be a 1-star if you're in a stressed out mood and don't have it in you to deal with crowds on that day.

Does the Prado have some of the greatest artworks on Earth, and is the Alhambra a crowning achievement of architecture? Of course. But I'll go back to those places and deal with the crowds when Hell itself freezes over, no sooner. I still gave them both 3 stars because, hey, they're pretty great, but I'd not willingly subject myself to the experience of visiting them again.

quote:

Everyone loves the Louvre, but I think that the admission fee is absolutely outrageous , 15 Euros is much too much, and they don’t offer concessions or any discounts. I loved the museum exhibits, BUT, they need to calm down and lower the price!!!
They are simply greedy, other museums around the world are either free or have lower prices

"gently caress you for daring to charge 15E for access to literally the largest museum collection in the world" (it's also free if you're under 26 and have an EU passport).

quote:

No rush, no line, rude security, we weren't allowed inside because i brought my pet. Very well behave in a carrier and small... no bueno.

Yes, I'm sure your chihuahua really missed out by not being able to see the Mona Lisa.

quote:

Even though I didn't wait as much as others, it was terrible. So many people, you cannot enjoy art. Or anything else. If you have a week free, you wouldn't be able to see everything inside. Too much.

"There's too much stuff in this museum. One star."

quote:

Lets be honest folks.. unless your into really weird, bad art this is not the thing for you. Worst thing ive ever done, basically paid €15 to see mona lisa and lets face it.. shes crap too. Its the same stuff from start to finish. Would highly recommend not going unless you are really into your art.

quote:

So many beautiful rooms and so many "french" arts (not enough diversity)! If you're a museum-goer who's into modern arts like myself, you may find it boring. I feel it is just another tourist trap. I wouldn't go back unless there's something special to see.

The wifi was free but just as terrible as at any other museums in Paris. If the screen goes off, the connection is gone too. The coverage was bad as well. I had to walk around to find a good spot to log in each time. Only thing I could find positive was the price of food in the cafeteria (not the restaurant) was the most reasonable among museums in Paris.

LOL this guy actually gave one star because the wifi was bad.

quote:

Went on a hop on hop off tour to see the Eiffel Tower, the louvre and arc de triomphe. The louvre was closed, as it is Tuesday the arc de triomphe couldn’t get to because there was a demonstration. The line was so long for the Eiffel Tower couldn’t wait, as I’m disabled and unable to stand for long periods of time. Very dissappointing, as it took up most of our day, we only have 3 full days in Paris so not very happy
"I don't know how to look up a schedule ahead of time to make sure the place I want to visit is open"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
THIS JAPANESE SUSHI RESTAURANT MAKES GOOD MISO SOUP BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS RAW. ONE STAR

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Julio Cruz posted:

Don't try to do 7 countries in less than a month. Cut Stockholm and Brussels at a bare minimum.

Saladman posted:

I guess your tickets are already set, but if your housing is not already set, you might consider taking one of those places and instead of spending it in a big city, go somewhere a little smaller in the countryside somewhere. All of those cities are massive except for Cambridge. At least take some day trips to get into the countryside. Big cities have a lot to offer but, at least for most people, they get kind of exhausting and same-y after a while. Like, how many famous art museums and national capitals can you see in a month? Three or four, maybe?

If it's not set, I agree to the other person who said cut out one or two stops; also your order is weird. Why are Amsterdam and Brussels not consecutive? (Also IMO skip Brussels, go to Bruges or some trappist brewery or Antwerp or something.) Like cut out Brussels and 2 days of London and spend those 4 days in the Algarve and rent a convertible and drive around eating at little seafood places in the middle of nowhere.

E: I've been to all of those cities—though some not very many times—and I can't think of anything that's really amazing natural-wonder-of-Europe countryside within a < 90 minute travel time from any of those cities but there are some great smaller towns nearby like Sintra to Lisbon or Fontainbleau to Paris or Bruges to Brussels. I've been around London a lot and none of my daytrips have really made a lasting impression except Brighton, which was "wow, this sucks" and Oxford which was really nice. Everything else kind of blurs together, like every town center is a bunch of 1930s-1960s 3 story-tall brick buildings and row houses with Marks and Spencers everywhere. I was always visiting people who were making the plans though and I tend to remember far less of my vacations when someone else arranges it, so YMMV. Anyway, do try to get somewhere outside a massive European capital city besides the 1 day in Cambridge. The Normandy coast around Etretat is absolutely stunning, for instance, but a little far. Loire Valley, same issue. Both are theoretical daytrips but the hassle of renting a car and the exhaustion within such a tiring trip probably make it not worthwhile unless you can do an overnight stay somewhere. You could maybe take a night out of Paris to do the Loire Valley, i.e. rent a car morning in Paris, drive to and overnight in Loire, spend the full day in Loire, return car in Paris in the evening. I would generally not recommend packaged bus tours unless you're both 70 years old and afraid of everything.

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I would tend to agree with the first point that capitals blend together if one does the same kind of activities in every one of them. However, at this time of year with the kind of weather we've been having Stockholm can certainly offer some very easily reachable countryside within less than 90 minutes from the center by ferry to the archipelago.

There are both guided tours that last somewhere between 2-4 hours and ferries going to specific islands depending on what ones preferences are, and enjoying a beach or going for a forest stroll so very close to the city doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg (which tends to be why people do not recommend

Anyway, I'd say the Skansen open-air museum might not be a bad destination if one wants something a bit different from regular art and history museums, at least if one's interested in historical settings since it has gathered together examples of historical living spaces and conditions from all over Sweden, and can easily soak up quite a bit of time if one is so inclined.

I'm won't argue about the merits of going/not going to Stockholm, but if they go there, there are absolutely things to do that do not involve typical museums and city centers and which do not have to empty the bank.

But yeah, if its possible, I too would advice trying to find varying things to do in each city to avoid having it all blur together at the end. Allow yourselves to sit down and chill with a coffee and a cinnamon bun and just soak up the atmosphere for a bit, it might help separate the cities.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the itinerary is pretty intense but it's all pretty much set and revolves around a conference my girlfriend has to do in Amsterdam. She has been to nearly all of the places we are going to so has a pretty good idea of what's worth doing/not doing. I'm just keen to hear of any must see things in each place if anyone has those.

Tasky
May 7, 2008

Come on Bob! The WORLD WIDE WEB!
My Wife and I are doing a Eurotrip for a friend's wedding in Bratislava, then hitting the road heading west to Amsterdam where we will eventually fly out.

The plan so far is Slovakia > Budapest (1 day) > Prague (1 day) > Berlin (3 days) > Amsterdam (3 days before flying out)

Would a Eurorail pass be the best way to do this? If so, what company would be the most ideally suited for that layout?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

HookShot posted:

My favourite hobby is going to tripadvisor and reading the one-star reviews for places like the Louvre and the Sagrada Familia.

This is amazing; I just looked up a mountainside path in my area and...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tasky posted:

My Wife and I are doing a Eurotrip for a friend's wedding in Bratislava, then hitting the road heading west to Amsterdam where we will eventually fly out.

The plan so far is Slovakia > Budapest (1 day) > Prague (1 day) > Berlin (3 days) > Amsterdam (3 days before flying out)

Would a Eurorail pass be the best way to do this? If so, what company would be the most ideally suited for that layout?

It's generally a better deal to just buy the train tickets that you want. Eurail pass is OK for young EU citizens, for people with itineraries with a LOT of long legs in it, and for people focusing on one or two countries, but for your itinerary I would guess it's twice the price of buying the individual tickets in advance. There aren't really any companies to pick from as basically everywhere in continental Europe has only one national railroad carrier and even for trans-national train trips usually they just get together and decide that one company gets to service the route (e.g. you generally won't have both the Czech and Austrian railway companies running something like the Vienna<->Prague route).

Also less than 2 days in a major city is an utter waste of time as all you get to do is walk around the city for 4 hours between check in and checkout and the fairly long train travel that you have, like you'll probably get in town around noon, check in, walk around for 8 hours, then go to sleep and have to go the next morning at 8am.

IMO at minimum Bratislava -> Pick one of Vienna, Prague, or Budapest (2 days) -> Berlin (3 days) -> Amsterdam (3 days)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Some people just want to sit in trains/planes all day only to take a selfie on the main square of every major European city I guess.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Can we change the thread title to “don’t visit 4 countries in a week” or something because I’m seriously feeling like a broken record here.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Julio Cruz posted:

Can we change the thread title to “don’t visit 4 countries in a week” or something because I’m seriously feeling like a broken record here.

If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Inepta Lacerta posted:

However, at this time of year with the kind of weather we've been having Stockholm can certainly offer some very easily reachable countryside within less than 90 minutes from the center by ferry to the archipelago.

As a slight aside to this, due to very high expected temperatures (30C+ for five days or more) the Swedish Meteorological Institute, SMHI, has just issued a warning for "extremely high temperatures" (the most severe rating) in parts of the country, including Stockholm. Might be good to be aware of if visiting.

Anyway, as I imagine Sweden isn't the only place being hit by this heatwave, make sure y"all out there stay hydrated.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
30C + is high, lol

Maybe if you don’t have air conditioning :downsrim:

I’m going to play devils advocate, only city hop every other day if you are taking a night train or some night bus and travel with a light back pack.

Or all you ever do is hangout in the city square and church

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

caberham posted:

I’m going to play devils advocate, only city hop every other day if you are taking a night train or some night bus and travel with a light back pack.

Or all you ever do is hangout in the city square and church

I actually think "don't visit 7 countries in 7 days goddamnit" is in the OP.

City hop every other day can be OK depending on the distances involved and the size of the cities (i.e. not European capitals), but a lot of people seem to be like "lol Barcelona -> Paris -> Amsterdam -> Berlin -> Prague -> Milan that's a good 10 day eurotrip right??" in which case I guess you'd need an IV bag full of methamphetamine to make it through the week.

A one night stay and a 6 hour travel time to get there? Yeah that's fine if you're driving through Iceland or the American Southwest, but people often seem to have the same itinerary/mindset of European capital city visits as if they were doing a rural roadtrip. I mean I made that mistake when I was younger like most other people ('gotta see it all will sleep when I'm dead lol YOLO'), but there's a reason that I have never, ever heard anyone actually recommend doing this, since you actually see and experience way less except the generally-dull views out the side of trains and buses.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tasky posted:

Budapest is way too far out for this to make sense. Either cut Prague out and fly from Budapest to Berlin or leave Budapest out and do trains. You've already got one kinda grueling train trip there, Berlin to Amsterdam.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

caberham posted:

30C + is high, lol

Maybe if you don’t have air conditioning :downsrim:

I'm a swede, I melt at what is semi-high temperatures to others. ;)

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Budapest is way too far out for this to make sense. Either cut Prague out and fly from Budapest to Berlin or leave Budapest out and do trains. You've already got one kinda grueling train trip there, Berlin to Amsterdam.

You can overnight Berlin to Amsterdam and it's not too bad if you can sleep on the train.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Inepta Lacerta posted:

As a slight aside to this, due to very high expected temperatures (30C+ for five days or more) the Swedish Meteorological Institute, SMHI, has just issued a warning for "extremely high temperatures" (the most severe rating) in parts of the country, including Stockholm. Might be good to be aware of if visiting.

Anyway, as I imagine Sweden isn't the only place being hit by this heatwave, make sure y"all out there stay hydrated.

Yeah dont gently caress around with 30+ degree days.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So my wife and inlaws are now in Giethoorn to spend a night. It's too hot right now they say and the sun just pierces through everything - the skies are too clear and there's not even a thin layer of pollution to shield like South East Asia.

They have finished their tour in the Rhineland and love Netherlands. People tend to be "friendlier" or "easier to get along in Netherlands" they say. Well, maybe it's just speaking English in Netherlands and being in bigger metropolitan areas compared to river cruise 24/7.

Europe is pretty, but it's just like a Karaoke video :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YViwdDdJHs

So my inlaws flying out of Frankfurt on the 20th and my wife will take a train with them from Rotterdam - 4.5 hour train
They will spend 2 nights in Frankfurt and send my inlaws to the airport.
She will then take a 4.5 hour train to Paris in the early morning and spend 2 nights and 3 days in Paris.
Take the noon train in Paris and meet me in London on the 23.
Do london poo poo until 31, pick up goon from airport
Bus to Birmingham
Road trip 8 days across UK,
Birmingham
York,
Edinburgh back to heathrow (groan)

Stop over Delhi 4 days
Back to Hong Kong and work

Did I just become a retard? My wife had 3 days extra and instead of lingering in the Netherlands, coming to Uk earlier, or staying in Germany, I insisted on her making a stop over in Paris. The rationale is that she will be in Frankfurt to send off her parents, flying on a budget airline isn't much cheaper, and airports are annoying. Plus she's already been in the Rhineland and Netherlands for quite a bit and loves all the history and food. Oh and the hotel in London is right next to the euro star london destination, so no need to deal with heathrow.

Her basic itinerary:
Arrive 1230pm, check in, drop bags.
Walking tour in the afternoon and then see sunset at Sacre Ceour
Fontainebleau, in the early morning, then Louvre - online ticket (just half a day, I know, I know - heck the Chinese tourist passes are so loving sleazy because people pass around the same pass between different tour groups)
Eat some good food.
Breakfast, then go to UK

asur posted:

You can overnight Berlin to Amsterdam and it's not too bad if you can sleep on the train.

I did this 15 years ago. It sounds good but it still kinda blows. Not cheap at all, that's for sure.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I imagine if I'd been at a conference (am I remembering this right?) and then touring with my parents right before an 8 day road trip I'd want some peace and quiet but that's me. Look at spa packages near/around Frankfurt and get one of the million flights from there to London and she can meet you early if she wants.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
There's no high speed train between Berlin and Amsterdam so if you go during the day you just sit in a slow train for 8-9 hours, cruising through the uninteresting flatlands of northern Germany. And I thought they abolished all the night trains in western Europe already by now because no one uses them any more.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic
so I just found out I will be in Paris, France for the first week of august (1st-7th) , a friend of mine said I should take a train to England for a day or 2, is this advisable?

mrhotdogvendor fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 17, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mrhotdogvendor posted:

so I just out I will be in Paris, France for the first week of august (1st-7th) , a friend of mine said I should take a train to England for a day or 2, is this advisable?

Do you really want to see some part of England?

Personally, I'd say if you think 7 days in Paris is too much for you, there are tons of other places in France you could visit for a change of pace.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you never been to Europe and won’t be going to Europe for a while, yeah you can stop in London but both cities really have a poo poo load to see.

If you like to try some English food then yeah go to London. But the surrounding areas of Paris like Rouen, Reims, the natural parks are also good.

Really depends on who you are with, how much money you want to spend, how fast you travel, how you plan

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

caberham posted:

If you like to try some English food then yeah go to London

The far more accurate statement here would be "if you like to try literally any food you could ever want from anywhere on the planet then yeah go to London"

Traditional English food can of course be had in London but that's almost like going to NYC so you can get a really good traditional plate of Carolina barbecue. Possible, but wasting an opportunity.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Entropist posted:

There's no high speed train between Berlin and Amsterdam so if you go during the day you just sit in a slow train for 8-9 hours, cruising through the uninteresting flatlands of northern Germany. And I thought they abolished all the night trains in western Europe already by now because no one uses them any more.

Night trains still exist, although ironically the only one I can think of here in Zurich is the night train from Zurich to Vienna, which is one of the very few train routes in Europe where you actually have beautiful scenery out the window.

Edit: Now that I think of it there are a couple more. Hamburg also has a night train to Zurich. But yeah it's like a handful of destinations, if even a full hand.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 17, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

The far more accurate statement here would be "if you like to try literally any food you could ever want from anywhere on the planet then yeah go to London"

If you haven’t tried much cuisine from the world then yeah it’s nice to give a shot without flying everywhere

Well eating local is great because you probably won’t find tastier alternatives else where. I’m looking forward to try some Caribbean food!l when I’m in London

But the Chinese food in London and NYC is kind of meh. I can’t say for Caribbean or African cuisines but the East Asian in general isn’t that great. People settle for basic Japanese ramen, raw salmon sushi and California rolls. Some of it is serviceable and if you are from an inland landlocked region, then yeah give it a shot.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Entropist posted:

There's night buses though, if you fancy that gamble

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My favourite reviews are the ones that go along the lines of "Waste of time if you do not speak German, there are very little english signs. Did not get the audio tour as I beleive it ruins the experience, 1/5"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Oh BTW if anyone has tips to Eastern Poland and/or Lithuania, I'm all ears. We've only got accommodation in Vilnius so far, but we're probably doing Warsaw - Krakow -Lublin - ? (maybe Kazimierz Dolny) - ? (maybe Bialystok) - ? (maybe Kaunas) - back to Helsinki.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The salt mines in krakow are 100% worth it imo although make sure you take a lot of water. You can skip Schindlers factory if youve seen a nazi museum before.

If you go to Aushwitz probably go as early as possible, my hostel had a tour leaving at 630 and I wish I did that one. I spent my whole time at aushwitz 1 grumpy because my tour was full of bargey obnoxious baby boomers so minimising that will allow you to actually take it in.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 17, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Yeah I'm definitely not going to do anything related to the Nazis or the Holocaust or any of that, not at all what I want to see. The salt mines are much more my kinda thing, along with pre-modern history in general, nature, countryside views, castles, that sort of stuff. And bars & vegan food but Warsaw will cover that part

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mrhotdogvendor posted:

so I just found out I will be in Paris, France for the first week of august (1st-7th) , a friend of mine said I should take a train to England for a day or 2, is this advisable?

You can easily fill up a week just in Paris and its surroundings, so unless there's something you specifically want to see in London I wouldn't bother.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
If you just wanted to take a selfie with the Big Ben, it's not really worth it, it's in scaffolding for renovation.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Can I get some advice for a 8 day trip in Austria, Slovenia, and/or Swiss (countries ordered by my preference)? I'll have an Interrail pass so I want to travel by train.

I like walking through old historic city centres, looking at architecture and hiking in nature. I don't care about museums and night life. Which cities etc would you guys recommend?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Switzerland: Fribourg, Lugano, Lausanne, and possibly Bern for mid-sized towns. For tiny but nice villages with hiking nearby, Lauterbrunnen, Saas Fee, St Moritz. Interlaken and Davos are, while famous and in a good setting, both very ugly modern 1970s concrete housing, and Lucern is lovely but so swarmed by massive tour groups and shops selling tacky tourist bullshit it's hard for me to enjoy it.

If you want to actually hike as in an all day hike and not a lift to a mountaintop, I'd recommend to spend a minimum of two nights in a place even if it's a small village like Lauterbrunnen or Saas Fee. Go to sleep early, get up and hike, then go to sleep early, get up and go the next day. If by hike you meant take a lift up a mountain and look around, then 1 night is fine somewhere like Lauterbrunnen or Saas Fee.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Slovenia, you absolutely will want to go to Ljubljana and Bled. Ljubljana's old town is phenomenal, and Bled fits the outdoor part of your request to a tee. When you're in Bled, I'd recommend renting a mountain bike and going to the nearby waterfalls as well.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks!

Some ideas I'm considering now:
1) Brussels - Salzburg - Lake Bled - Ljubljana - Vienna
2) Brussels - Salzburg - Hallstatt - Melk - Vienna
3) Brussels - Basel - Innsbruck - Salzburg - Vienna
4) Brussels - Basel - Lausanne - Lauterbrunnen - Zurich

Any recommendations or alternatives would be welcome.

Some explanation:
- The reason most trips end at Vienna is that I can take a sleeper/night train back to Belgium from there.
- Main reason to go to Basel (or Zurich) is that the train ride from (or to) Brussels is still doable.
- I'm considering splitting the trip from Brussels to Salzburg into two parts by visiting some German city in between. I've already visited Munich, Cologne and Heidelberg though so not sure what would be a nice place. (Ulm? Augsburg?)
- Some colleagues recommended Hallstatt and some travel itinerary I found on the internet recommended Melk. Big advantage would be that travel times would be much shorter, but I somehow assume Bled and Ljubljana are nicer.
- With hiking I mean starting at 8 am and walking until 6 pm.
- I'm worried Swiss would be really expensive

I'll be traveling alone and will sleep in hostels.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ras Het posted:

Oh BTW if anyone has tips to Eastern Poland and/or Lithuania, I'm all ears. We've only got accommodation in Vilnius so far, but we're probably doing Warsaw - Krakow -Lublin - ? (maybe Kazimierz Dolny) - ? (maybe Bialystok) - ? (maybe Kaunas) - back to Helsinki.

I actually just left the Baltics and flew to Warsaw this afternoon :v:

All three of the Baltic capitals are quite interesting in different ways. Vilnius has a variety of historic buildings, Riga has quite an upbeat vibe and some fantastic art nouveau buildings, and Tallinn has the beautiful old town with well preserved walls. Vilnius and Riga both feel quite Russian influenced as well, while Tallinn feels much more Westernised. If you're able to modify your itinerary, check how many cruise ships will be in Tallinn each day around your dates and plan accordingly. It's beautiful when there's one (or zero!) ships in port, but if there's 4-5 ... yeah. It's almost Venice levels of crowded.

I'm just going to note as well that some of the transport links between former Eastern bloc countries aren't as good as you might think. Basically all of the infrastructure there was designed post-war to get troops and tanks from Moscow to Germany and not really anywhere else. So travelling east-west (eg Warsaw-Gdansk) is fairly easy, but north-south eg Warsaw-Krakow, not so much.

Walh Hara posted:

Some explanation:
- The reason most trips end at Vienna is that I can take a sleeper/night train back to Belgium from there.
- Main reason to go to Basel (or Zurich) is that the train ride from (or to) Brussels is still doable.
- I'm considering splitting the trip from Brussels to Salzburg into two parts by visiting some German city in between. I've already visited Munich, Cologne and Heidelberg though so not sure what would be a nice place. (Ulm? Augsburg?)
- Some colleagues recommended Hallstatt and some travel itinerary I found on the internet recommended Melk. Big advantage would be that travel times would be much shorter, but I somehow assume Bled and Ljubljana are nicer.
- With hiking I mean starting at 8 am and walking until 6 pm.
- I'm worried Swiss would be really expensive

I'll be traveling alone and will sleep in hostels.

I would recommend not going to Halstatt. It's a pretty village, but there's plenty of other pretty villages around and this one in particular is swamped by mainland Chinese tourists. Slovenia is great though, I think it's a real hidden gem of Europe. Spend a couple of days in Ljubljana and then maybe a week driving around. Lake Bled is picturesque, make sure you get to Vintgar Gorge just nearby (go early in the morning before the tour buses arrive), also check out Soca Canyon, Lake Bohinj, Lake Triglav, Savica Waterfall. There's just an absurd amount of beautiful nature in Slovenia, it's cheap, people are friendly and everyone under 40 speaks reasonable English.

Melk is okay, the big highlight there is the enormous Abbey though from memory a lot of it is closed to the public. You get a great view and I think there's a really nice library room, but otherwise it's really just famous because of the size. Oh and you can do river cruises through a nice stretch of the Danube from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah and if you want a castle on the hill Bled also offers that (and so does Ljubljana though they rebuilt it in the 70s so it isn't exactly authentic anymore)