Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's like a poor imitation of Gormenghast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Dunno what boring rear end sentences you guys like to read

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Ones that can be spoken aloud

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's an epic poem beloved by T. S. Eliot, you swine.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn't say it was bad, just hard to read.

TS Eliot on the other hand is easy to read, just hard to interpret.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i haven't read In Parenthesis but I have read Jones' Anathemata, and i thought it veered into some of the worst of the modernists' excesses

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's an epic poem beloved by T. S. Eliot, you swine.

Wow if t s eliot liked it it must be good and thats why we all still love and read obscure symbolist frenchman number 87

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
more like the wasteman

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The love song of j alfred prufrock

Sex any girl nah that's not me

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CestMoi posted:

Wow if t s eliot liked it it must be good and thats why we all still love and read obscure symbolist frenchman number 87
Correct.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I do love obscure frenchmen, but only the ones that ts eliot didn't like.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yurtcradled posted:

Vividness of a book seems to be the mean vividness of its individual words. But the word-level vividness ratings are all jacked up. "Faeces" doesn't even register (you can see it lacks a rating the most vivid passage from Blood of Sanguinus (61.07% vivid)), while "malformed," which relies entirely on context for specificity, gets a flat "9.0 - Strongly Vivid."

I hate "vivid" language in the sense they mean, I hate seeing too many adjectives and overly lush descriptions of things that don't matter, or the author didn't reflect on why it should matter. I immediately think of that Kiran Desai sentence that I hate, to wit: "He fingered the kindling gingerly for fear of the community of scorpions living, loving, reproducing in the pile". That's the best example of terrible normie writing that I've come across.

People who want to deal with literature using algorithms and computers belong in prison.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm just hoping that this supersedes all literary criticism so I don't have to see people making fun of my favourite fantasy books anymore

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

People who want to deal with literature using algorithms and computers belong in prison.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Overly wordy purple prose is good because a computer told me so boop boop- man who wrote harrowing memoir about being mildly inconvenienced on a boat

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Overly wordy purple prose is good because a computer told me so boop boop- man who wrote harrowing memoir about being mildly inconvenienced on a boat

If you're prefer the reverse, a harrowing tale of being lost at sea in the very few words, I'd recommend Cove by Cynan Jones.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Shibawanko posted:

there's some cool stuff about it. calvino talked about it a lot. but also calvino did parody literally this exact thing everyone's making fun of in if on a winter's night.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The only procedurally written texts I'm interested in are those contained in the hexagonal library of practically-infinite size.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ben Nevis posted:

If you're prefer the reverse, a harrowing tale of being lost at sea in the very few words, I'd recommend Cove by Cynan Jones.

I dont

Btw, pro tier reading tip

Buy deck of cards for a dollar and have 52 bookmarks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*crouches vividly*

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Just finished The Radiance of The King by by Camara Laye which I enjoyed immensely. I know nothing about French West African lit - what works should I go for next?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:thanks:

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

just rip out the pages you already read so you can open up the cover to where you left off

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Staple read pages together imo, like a reverse uncut book

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Binder clip

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dont

You're just trying to make the next game of 52 pickup even more cruel

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

jagstag posted:

just rip out the pages you already read so you can open up the cover to where you left off

The first time I saw someone doing this it was on a bus and I was completely horrified. The second time, it was me :henget:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Heath posted:

gently caress this and gently caress whoever wrote it

Wow, small minded much? Actually, dude, it's Mother loving Vivid Literature.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i actually spent about a week learning R (the language that most of these book-analyzing things are written in) and Stylo, a script that attempts to determine authorship via 'stylometric analysis'. in theory, you feed it, say, three texts, and it tells you that texts 1 and 3 share a common author while text 2 has a different author. in practice, it told me that Herman Melville wrote Pudd'nhead Wilson.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i actually spent about a week learning R (the language that most of these book-analyzing things are written in) and Stylo, a script that attempts to determine authorship via 'stylometric analysis'. in theory, you feed it, say, three texts, and it tells you that texts 1 and 3 share a common author while text 2 has a different author. in practice, it told me that Herman Melville wrote Pudd'nhead Wilson.

Seems like machines don't learn very well at all

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
there's a at least 100% chance that guy on the last page thinks 'cellar door' is a beautiful phrase

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
corpus analysis toolkits can actually be pretty cool for literary analysis but attempting to use them prescriptively in any way is delusional

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Once I add a few more pungent's and a couple feathery's, my oeuvre will clearly hit the vividness I'm going for.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Giles Goat Boy purports to be written by a computer and it's kind of a nonsensical mess that your brain has to constantly edit so good job with that one Barth.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lex Neville posted:

corpus analysis toolkits can actually be pretty cool for literary analysis but attempting to use them prescriptively in any way is delusional

franco moretti said that corpus analytics and other dh methods can promote “prosthetic reading” where we augment our human capabilities or failings to do things we could not ordinarily do (like look for patterns of lexical similarities among corpora that are much too large for one person to read even at a superficial level) but that they should not take the place of close reading or criticism. but then he was outed for being a sexual predator so gently caress him

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Just finished The Radiance of The King by by Camara Laye which I enjoyed immensely. I know nothing about French West African lit - what works should I go for next?

:thanks:

It's totally different from Laye but you might try reading Bound to Violence by Yambo Ouologuem, which is a really wild book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
hey mel if you liked Blackwater you owe it to yourself to read The Elementals

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i finished petals of blood and now i’m reading submission by houellebecq. acadamia being a pool of poo poo is a running theme in both.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I searched Petals of Blood and Google gave me the right author but the book preview it associated is an entirely different book that I suspect was Google translated from Lithuanian or something

https://books.google.com/books/about/Petals_Of_Blood.html?id=KQGvCQAAQBAJ

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I accidentally bought a Perez-Reverte novel thinking it was Vila-Matas :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

relax, it doesn't matter which book you buy if you're illiterate.