Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People also curse and crack jokes about loving so theyre way cooler than the goody two shoes who work with Phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's tone is a lot more over the top and outright mean though, if you enjoyed AA's somewhat more innocent and bumbling tone.

Every trial ends with an over the top execution which range from weird to horrifying especially since you spend most of the game getting to know the other characters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

People also curse and crack jokes about loving so theyre way cooler than the goody two shoes who work with Phoenix

They sound lame, actually, and not good like my friends Nick and co.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

phoenix wright and edgeworth both gently caress so they don't need to constantly crack jokes about fuckin and cussin to compensate for their lack of experiences

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

They sound lame, actually, and not good like my friends Nick and co.

Some of them are lame. Some of them are GOAT.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The four dark devas...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

phoenix wright and edgeworth both gently caress so they don't need to constantly crack jokes about fuckin and cussin to compensate for their lack of experiences

I bet Apollo is thirsty af tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I bet Apollo is thirsty af tho

Well yeah, he's gotta keep the chords of steel cooled. That takes a lot of water.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

al-azad posted:

Some of them are lame. Some of them are GOAT.

That's not how you spell Kokichi Oma :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

It is as more of an adventure game than AA is.

Which is to say that Ace Attorney doesnt do anything beyond its menus and tapping on objects. In DanPa you move around a 3D world and the trials involve rudimentary mini-games and there are character building skits like Persona social links and they all have a weird non-canon RPG mode when you complete the main game.

it’s still 90% conversation trees and clicking on hotspots like a lot of VN.

Sounds cool. Pc version too right? Can you start with any game or hafta go to the original for plot etc?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 16, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyzUuUSChvc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Sounds cool. Pc version too right? Can you start with any game or hafta go to the original for plot etc?

You definitely want to go 1-2-V3. Ignore the Despair Girls spin-off, it's bad and pretty much written out in the anime sequel which is also not required viewing because the third game bookends the series.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

al-azad posted:

The ending is the best closure I've seen in a video game.

I think this is the first time I've ever, ever seen this opinion (:goonsay:) and only seen the exact opposite specifically to the ending. I started and then got disappointed the first twist that revealed I was going to play the generic short hair anime trope guy all along! and then looked up the plot as to whether it had any more major disappointments.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The ending to DRV3 is glorious and all round it's the best game in the series for both mysteries and characters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"Get to know these characters and then watch them get brutally murdered" is a big no thanks from me. The alternate "These people are awful and you should enjoy watching them get brutally murdered" is also a signal to walk the other way.

Brutal murder is bad is basically my point here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: Wait I think I'm just confused

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if i had to hazard a guess, they were simply just too grumpy for each other's company

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever, ever seen this opinion (:goonsay:) and only seen the exact opposite specifically to the ending. I started and then got disappointed the first twist that revealed I was going to play the generic short hair anime trope guy all along! and then looked up the plot as to whether it had any more major disappointments.

I was really upset about your spoiler, but the ending rules insanely hard

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

people talk about a lot here and on twitter and i lived through the mass tumblr immigration into the LP subforum and i still have no clue what danganronpa is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DRV3 starts out bad, turns mediocre, and then has quite possibly the best ending I've ever seen in a video game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk what it is but I just do not like the art style of danganronpa. Like, it's not that I think it's bad or anything, but idk... I just don't like it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i don't feel that way but i totally understand why someone would

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've not played these Dangawhatever games but presumably they're so stylized to take the edge off the aforementioned murder and such.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I've not played these Dangawhatever games but presumably they're so stylized to take the edge off the aforementioned murder and such.

The game would be too off putting without the pink blood. The creator also said at one point he didn't want to mangle the bodies because the audience disconnects with a character when they're ripped in half or whatever (this rule ends up being broken to shocking effect in the series' best case).

Which reminds me, how the hell did Dual Destinies get an M rating? I don't remember that game being more gratuitous than any of other titles in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

Which reminds me, how the hell did Dual Destinies get an M rating? I don't remember that game being more gratuitous than any of other titles in the series.
Probably (End game spoilers) the thing with Athena mutilating her mother's corpse. That's really the only thing I can think of.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Raxivace posted:

Probably (End game spoilers) the thing with Athena mutilating her mother's corpse. That's really the only thing I can think of.

I completely forgot all the details of Dual Destinies. Like even down to Simon Blackquill. I must really have disliked it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I completely forgot all the details of Dual Destinies. Like even down to Simon Blackquill. I must really have disliked it.

It's pretty good, though.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

chumbler posted:

It's pretty good, though.

Yeah, Dual Destinies was great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DR gets worse once you figure out the plot beats the game never stops relying on, so as soon as you start getting to know a character you know they're about to die. You stop giving a poo poo pretty quickly and since that's what the game relies on really heavily it falls apart.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DRV3 agrees with you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHp1GtRiO34

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQn1hnCNjeo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t understand anything anymore

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have you ever run late during the first week of college or university and stepped into the wrong class? And it takes you ten minutes to fully realize it, since the content of the lecture could possibly be related to the class you should be in, until it becomes clear that what the professor is talking about isn’t just some random tangent he or she got on moments before you stepped in, but is instead wholly what the lecture is about?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I saw it happen once except it took him 3 weeks to realise

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Idk what it is but I just do not like the art style of danganronpa. Like, it's not that I think it's bad or anything, but idk... I just don't like it

I looked into it because I heard the game was kind of like Phoenix Wright but I found the character design and art style pretty direly unappealing. Then years later I heard about the actual premise of the games which is possibly even more unappealing. Ick.

Jay Rust posted:

Have you ever run late during the first week of college or university and stepped into the wrong class? And it takes you ten minutes to fully realize it, since the content of the lecture could possibly be related to the class you should be in, until it becomes clear that what the professor is talking about isn’t just some random tangent he or she got on moments before you stepped in, but is instead wholly what the lecture is about?

I had exactly that experience on my first day of college. It's pretty embarrassing.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

That happened to me at the beginning of a semester once when I misread the room number, but I figured it out as soon as the professor handed out the syllabus.

Related, has anyone had a dream where you believe you signed up for a class you never attended or forgot about mid-semester somehow, but now its finals and you're gonna fail. Or is that just me?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

That happened to me at the beginning of a semester once when I misread the room number, but I figured it out as soon as the professor handed out the syllabus.

Related, has anyone had a dream where you believe you signed up for a class you never attended or forgot about mid-semester somehow, but now its finals and you're gonna fail. Or is that just me?

That literally happened to me, I turned up for like the last semester of the year and the tutor said "um who are you"

Still passed it though :cool:

and that tutor's name: Albert Einstein

Convex fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 16, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of my recurring nightmares when I was in school was that I would find out on the day of finals that I had to take an exam for a class I had mistakenly signed up for but never attended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
DanganRonpa is cool but it is much, much more over the top and Phoenix Wright. You literally shoot your counter arguments at people, there are duels, you gotta slash white noise out of your way. My favorite mechanic is the one at the very end, where you piece together everything that happened and how, which is something that PW really needed as some of those cases got way convoluted, the bonus episode of Ace Attorney and the last one of Edgeworth Investigations come to mind.

Sam Faust posted:

Literally happened to my sister. She did fail.

• Locked thread