Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

POh gently caress yeah. I and exclusively I can Ward, an interactive and epic fun activity (pressing button on the dirt) gently caress yeah. I love Supporting

Hi there. That was a simulation of myself as a coward gamer. Pick a mid lane mage and occupy the support position. Carries do NOT NEED KILLS. They have creeps to farm. Obtain all of the kills and buy the Ludens Echo item and then use it to obtain more kills.

you fool. support is the setter of league of legends. through careful play in the early game support lays the groundwork for map dominance that allows the jungler to come out ahead. then, your CC will make you able to defend or make picks, despite your small observed impact support is the true brains behind the operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Vermain posted:

Vi falls off pretty badly by lategame regardless of how you're building her or what role you're playing her into. Like I mentioned, your goal is to try and avoid full on 5v5 teamfights and play in a pick-oriented style, working to secure enough Baron control and map pressure to close the game out before 30-35 minutes. This is from a combination of personal experience and Super Metroid's advice, and that dude knows Vi.

Hey I just wanna say I appreciate a lot of your in-depth posts. I see you in the ffxiv thread, the competitive thread and this thread and you always provide some cool insight to at least think about.
You aren’t unique in this thread but you’re prominent in game threads I follow. This thread in general gives really awesome advice, love you guys

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pog boyfriend posted:

you fool. support is the setter of league of legends. through careful play in the early game support lays the groundwork for map dominance that allows the jungler to come out ahead. then, your CC will make you able to defend or make picks, despite your small observed impact support is the true brains behind the operation.

one of my friends is a diamond support and sometimes he would play with us in norms, and because he was a diamond he'd need to find ways to entertain himself so he'd pick really weird poo poo to support on. two of the ones he really liked to pick were sej and zac, which is funny because i think you could get away with that now and people wouldnt care but this was last season so obviously thats crazy non meta.

anyway, with these random all cc zero damage zero item champs and him supporting were the easiest games of my life, that dude hard carried on no damage champs just by feeding all of us idiots free kills and objectives. and it wasnt more fun because he was setting us up for the kills versus when he would pick taliyah or whatever, it was legit significantly easier because the enemy team is caught out and CC'd and we had a ton of free gold for an item lead from him previously getting us free gold and objectives. thats my story, peace.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Can anyone explain the demotion process from gold to silver? Generally when I went from S2 to S1, I had about a 2-3 game buffer when I initially got promoted. Then if I got a bunch of LP and then came down I had about a 1 game buffer. How is it with gold and demoting back to silver?

I am going to *try* to play this game a bit more casually now and get back into dota but I still want to play this on the side because I think I can still climb. I was playing about 15 games a day when I was grinding up through silver and playing zero games of dota, I rather split it up where its a few games of dota and a few games of this and just play less games in general.

I ask because I have won one, lost one, won one, lost one back and forth and have been playing pingpong between 20 LP and 0 LP. I just want to make sure that all of a sudden if I lose two then I won't suddenly be gold. My MMR is 1494 and the avg gold 5 mmr is 1,479.

Thank you

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EGSunBro posted:

Hey I just wanna say I appreciate a lot of your in-depth posts. I see you in the ffxiv thread, the competitive thread and this thread and you always provide some cool insight to at least think about.
You aren’t unique in this thread but you’re prominent in game threads I follow. This thread in general gives really awesome advice, love you guys

Thank you! I can't claim particularly deep insight on a lot of what I post; my hope is always that it inspires further discussion of some kind.

Enigma89 posted:

Can anyone explain the demotion process from gold to silver? Generally when I went from S2 to S1, I had about a 2-3 game buffer when I initially got promoted. Then if I got a bunch of LP and then came down I had about a 1 game buffer. How is it with gold and demoting back to silver?

My understanding is that you get about a 3-4 game loss buffer at 0 LP each time you enter a new division (e.g. Silver 2 -> Silver 1), and a 10 game loss buffer at 0 LP each time you enter a new bracket (e.g. Silver 1 -> Gold 5). After your buffer is used up, a single loss at 0 LP leads to a demotion. I've heard reports that the buffer is gradually depleted over time if you don't use it, but I can't confirm that. A lot of the actual mechanics used to determine your overall division/bracket ranking are heavily obfuscated, so there's a lot of guesswork as to how the system truly works.

Realistically, I wouldn't worry that much about demoting unless you're angling for the Gold ranked rewards at the end of the season. The whole bracket/division system is a bit of a red herring. The actual MMR difference between Silver 1 and Gold 5 is miniscule at best. It's only when you get to the absolute top of the ladder that you start to see significant differences between divisions - the difference between a Masters and Challenger player is massive.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 15, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Enigma89 posted:

I am going to *try* to play this game a bit more casually now and get back into dota but I still want to play this on the side because I think I can still climb. I was playing about 15 games a day when I was grinding up through silver and playing zero games of dota, I rather split it up where its a few games of dota and a few games of this and just play less games in general.

I ask because I have won one, lost one, won one, lost one back and forth and have been playing pingpong between 20 LP and 0 LP. I just want to make sure that all of a sudden if I lose two then I won't suddenly be gold. My MMR is 1494 and the avg gold 5 mmr is 1,479.

Thank you

you need to drop a pretty significant number of games to demote out of a bracket. the game will give you a little message that says like "we want to put you in silver but we arent going to" or something

theres a guaranteed protection at the bottom of every breakpoint as vermain said but once you win and lose a bunch it doesnt exist. it's only for the specific case of promoting and immediately losing games. after that it just uses your MMR as a guide and of the like four instances total ive ever seen or heard of someone dropping from one bracket to another, they all had like gold 4 or silver 4 mmr (dropping into gold/silver respectively). as i said, you have to lose a lot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If no one's told you yet, you can visit op.gg and search for your summoner name in the appropriate region to get a rough approximation of your MMR. op.gg's number isn't exact, but it's a pretty good estimate and will tell you where you are in terms of relative division/bracket.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

My ADCs were Ashe and MF. I can play Lucian. How do I Heimer in bot lane?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Miftan posted:

My ADCs were Ashe and MF. I can play Lucian. How do I Heimer in bot lane?

Watch Heisendong's coaching series. Practice some of the combos in the Practice Tool until you can do at least one reasonably comfortably. Play ten games in Normals to get a feeling for the champ in some common situations, and then try it in ranked.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Vermain posted:

Watch Heisendong's coaching series. Practice some of the combos in the Practice Tool until you can do at least one reasonably comfortably. Play ten games in Normals to get a feeling for the champ in some common situations, and then try it in ranked.

Oh poo poo that's actually useful, thank you!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

why is it that people think this game is dying? people i talk to seem to have this weird entirely unsubstantiated opinion and i do not know where it is coming from

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pog boyfriend posted:

why is it that people think this game is dying? people i talk to seem to have this weird entirely unsubstantiated opinion and i do not know where it is coming from

League has been dying for 8 years now, every massively popular game has. Mostly comes from people angry about their queue times being longer, or ping being higher, or not liking a new champion, or their main getting nerfed (see the immense loving shitfit being thrown by top laners last season and ADC players this season). Basically "I don't like this thing and therefore League is dying because obviously no-one else will either".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Look like Professor Akali got permission to post an early Akali rework preview. New Shroud looks bonkers, and I can see a combination of E and R giving her significant outplay potential. Looks like a lot of fun, and I like her redesigned look.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
That looks pretty dope. A little more fair to play against but way more mobile

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yay, another character with nearly limitless dashes with invisibility that works under towers and resets tower aggro unlike every other invisibility in the game so your mid laner can't even hide under tower to prevent himself from feeding, fun times ahead.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yay, another character with nearly limitless dashes with invisibility that works under towers and resets tower aggro unlike every other invisibility in the game so your mid laner can't even hide under tower to prevent himself from feeding, fun times ahead.

shut up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Excited for the "oh my god this is going to be so ridiculously op wtf riot" phase of the new champion cycle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

pog boyfriend posted:

It is *gasp* no longer the most popular game on Twitch ALL the time. Dead as a doornail!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

I think the issue really is game growth vs game death. The game is in a stable spot player population-wise, it's just not growing.

There's a huge cost of investment to get into the game now. With the changes Riot is proposing it will make it even more difficult to feel like you can go into ranked. If you remember, the new ranked system will track your rank separately for each position (Top,Mid,Jg,Bot,Sup). On my main account I am fine with this because I have all the champions unlocked. I don't need to worry about having ~3 meta champions for each position it might fill me in. On my smurf account it's an entirely different proposition. If I wanted to buy all the champions at full RP cost I would be looking at $700 (which is a terrible idea, never do this).

I think Riot/Tencent have probably had a tough conversation about power gating by locking champions and we'll see all champions unlocked in the next season or 2. We already see more champions are now being unlocked in ARAM. Moreover, you can see Riot testing the waters with limited skin releases again (Dark Star Cho'Gath). After it's discontinued it can only be gained via gemstone currency (think ~$100-$300 per skin). This will shift the revenue stream over to cosmetics, where it rightfully should be, instead of core gameplay. It also disincentives Riot from building the champion roster with new characters that don't bring in new core gameplay mechanics. I liked the Zoe release because she felt unique. On the other hand, Kai'sa just feels like another marksman that only brought in the mechanic of "upgrades through build order."

They would also gain good faith in the community if they bent to the 60ms ping memes the pro's suffer with and allow for streaming on the TR server in LA (in addition to allowing folks to use a standard queue system). If people could watch pick-up games with non-autofilled pro players it would make for some exciting content.

milkman dad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 16, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rude.

The empowered auto looks pretty strong and well animated at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

Look like Professor Akali got permission to post an early Akali rework preview. New Shroud looks bonkers, and I can see a combination of E and R giving her significant outplay potential. Looks like a lot of fun, and I like her redesigned look.

Looks like I missed it, the video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Professor Akali. :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

milkman dad posted:

I think Riot/Tencent have probably had a tough conversation about power gating by locking champions and we'll see all champions unlocked in the next season or 2. We already see more champions are now being unlocked in ARAM. Moreover, you can see Riot testing the waters with limited skin releases again (Dark Star Cho'Gath). After it's discontinued it can only be gained via gemstone currency (think ~$100-$300 per skin). This will shift the revenue stream over to cosmetics, where it rightfully should be, instead of core gameplay.

This was something they mentioned with the runes rework, the perception that you had to spend your free currency on runes to be competitive was stopping people spending it on champions.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the ninjas should be removed, not enhanced

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

someone mentioned twitch earlier (when the big fortnite streamers are asleep i think LoL is #1 still) but a big thing for reddit is actually LCS viewership (since a large part of the NA/EU fanbase posts on reddit.) riot hosed around with the schedule that had been consistent for ages and it really decimated their viewership, but people look at it as "look, 2 years ago this match would have had 500,000 viewers but now it has 250,000 league is dead for sure!" reddit ends up talking about this a lot and start to convince themselves that it is the reality, and anything that happens becomes evidence to support it.

NA solo queue is shrinking in playerbase though, so it is kinda dying in NA but pretty much everywhere else its fine. riot just invests so much money into the NA pro scene and pays a lot of attention to reddit so when their focus region starts to lose interest it seems like the game is dying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It wasn't just perception, it was a fact, there is no two ways to cut it that buying runes and the runepages to use them and tailor them for AD matchups and AP matchups could help your winrate quite a bit, some specific champions would require their own dedicated rune page that would jump their winrate by 5-10% by itself, like a zac runepage with 30% cooldown or hecarims armor pen and movement quints and so on.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

That is definitely not always the case. There were plenty of bronze to diamond players that would demonstrate how with two base rune pages they could climb the entire ladder. It was and still largely is playing the champions well and having good game sense that brings wins

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

You could just buy tier 1/2 runes if you really wanted extremely specific pages as a new-ish player; you'd get 50+% of the stats for 10% of the price. As long as a page was roughly in the right ballpark (ie AD/arpen for physical champs, AP/mpen for magic), minmaxing with tier 3 runes didn't matter for the vast majority of the playerbase.

That being said, I'm glad they destroyed the old system.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radical posted:

someone mentioned twitch earlier (when the big fortnite streamers are asleep i think LoL is #1 still) but a big thing for reddit is actually LCS viewership (since a large part of the NA/EU fanbase posts on reddit.) riot hosed around with the schedule that had been consistent for ages and it really decimated their viewership, but people look at it as "look, 2 years ago this match would have had 500,000 viewers but now it has 250,000 league is dead for sure!" reddit ends up talking about this a lot and start to convince themselves that it is the reality, and anything that happens becomes evidence to support it.

NA solo queue is shrinking in playerbase though, so it is kinda dying in NA but pretty much everywhere else its fine. riot just invests so much money into the NA pro scene and pays a lot of attention to reddit so when their focus region starts to lose interest it seems like the game is dying.

Yeah, it's doing just fine in non-NA regions. 2017 was the LCK's best year ever for viewership, and Scarra's hinted without going into specifics that the metrics for China/SEA/Korea/etc. that he's seen are "very, very, very, very good." NA's suffered a decline because Fortnite blew up in popularity; it's apparently not played overseas much at all (with PUBG being the only battle royale that's had any kind of traction in the Eastern regions).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Vermain posted:

I can already tell you that they are going to have to nerf her passive, at one point in the video he is only like 6-2 and flash ult1+gunblade+auto attack passive's a full HP Jinx to death. They basically gave her rework Leblanc's passive which was so obviously broken on release.

Everything else looks really cool

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d2vQ1

Hoo baby! Hoo mama!!!

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Put on some clothes girl drat.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

New Akali is hot but I swear the first thing that came to mind here is '...huh, she's Ninja Rambo now?'

I think this means Riot did a good job when my mind goes there first

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i watched that akali trailer and the entire time thought to myself "can't wait to watch this lady blink around a bunch then get run over by Doctor Mundo"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

i watched that akali trailer and the entire time thought to myself "can't wait to watch this lady blink around a bunch then get run over by Doctor Mundo"

It was weird that they chose to show Darius hitting every part of her invisible zone and then tried to play it off as good for Akali.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Radical posted:

All the fancy poo poo in the world cannot prevent Mundo from going where he pleases

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Mundo sees stealth at all times because he's too dumb to be tricked by it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is actually pretty good, I wish that didn't surprise me as much as it does.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Someone at Riot made Akali their yakuza waifu insert

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

RealFoxy posted:

Someone at Riot made Akali their yakuza waifu insert

You say that like it's problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

milkman dad posted:

They would also gain good faith in the community if they bent to the 60ms ping memes the pro's suffer with and allow for streaming on the TR server in LA (in addition to allowing folks to use a standard queue system). If people could watch pick-up games with non-autofilled pro players it would make for some exciting content.

That is actually still popular in dota. Lots of high level players doing custom draft inhouses. I think here in league it's more spamming solo queue

NA is actually competitive in dota too..