Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are no online tools or resources to learn Japanese, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
wrong thread

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Community college for beginner's lessons.

Ookunoshima was very chill and cool. You might as well stay at the hotel (or camp?!?!) and enjoy that gorgeous view as long as possible. The ferries don't run very late and the hotel is the only source of people food on the island. Weekend get booked up but a weekday in September should be fine.

(September is also sumo in Tokyo... and you're just missing the sake festival in Saijo, Hiroshima? )

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

peanut posted:

Community college for beginner's lessons.

Ookunoshima was very chill and cool. You might as well stay at the hotel (or camp?!?!) and enjoy that gorgeous view as long as possible. The ferries don't run very late and the hotel is the only source of people food on the island. Weekend get booked up but a weekday in September should be fine.

(September is also sumo in Tokyo... and you're just missing the sake festival in Saijo, Hiroshima? )

We'll go ahead and get a night at the hotel then!

I know! I'm so sad about Saijo! I didn't realize the sake festival was happening until after we booked our plane tickets. My sister's main concern when picking the dates was catching the Danjiri Matsuri in Osaka, so I'll settle for an afternoon of brewery tours.

Definitely going to hit up sumo in Tokyo, and apparently there's the Kuri Matsturi happening on September 27-28? I'll take all the festivals I can get on this trip.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yooooo Kishiwada??? Yes do it!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You might even see Tochinoshin become a Yokozuna!!!!!!

actually probably not

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For Okunoshima, is the weather cooperates it's worth getting up for the sunrise. You'd need to head back to the pier for it but it's pretty nice.

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Definitely going to hit up sumo in Tokyo, and apparently there's the Kuri Matsturi happening on September 27-28? I'll take all the festivals I can get on this trip.

If you're interested in fireworks, there will be a decently big show on September 29th on the northern edge of Tokyo.

https://www.japanistry.com/event/kita-hanabi-taikai/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
We're still tossing ideas around. Anyone got places they like to stay in Kyoto?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are apartment rentals on booking.com generally considered to be trustworthy enough right now for the new law?

There’s one that got added a few weeks ago in Shinjuku that looks perfect for my friends and I for our trip next year. Free cancellation so we’ve hopped on it for now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Stringent posted:

We're still tossing ideas around. Anyone got places they like to stay in Kyoto?

The b sanjo hotel was not bad at all

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My wife got a decent apartment booking in Amsterdam through booking.com

If it’s super low budget then probably no, like the ones next to a Chinese train station. But average? Probably yes. Since it’s free cancellation make the booking and see if you can contact the owner beforehand.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
We’re travelling during the Rugby World Cup and booking.com lets us book further ahead than Airbnb so we’re gonna use it as a safety net right now, since we assume finding accommodation won’t be easy at that time. This one costs about as much as equivalent Airbnbs do in the same area so hopefully it’s grand.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried dormy inn? It’s pretty good value and rooms! And they have a nice hotspring bath

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I have 3 nights free near the end of my November trip, which are bookended by days in Fukuoka. Is it feasible to spend one night in each Kurokawa, Yufuin, and Takachiho? I won't be driving, and will be relying on trains, buses, etc. Is this completely insane? Does anyone have a recommendation as to which of the three is most skippable if all three are not feasible in 3 nights?

My full itinerary looks like this, for reference:

Nov 3:Arrive in Tokyo at 4:30pm
Nov 4-6: Tokyo
Nov 7-8: Nikko
Nov 9: Tokyo
Nov 10: Himeji, Miyajima
Nov 11: Hiroshima, sleep in Fukuoka (maybe watch sumo)
Nov 12-14: ???
Nov 15: sleep in Fukuoka. The first 2 thirds of this day could be somewhere else/traveling back to Fukuoka.
Nov 16: Fly home from Fukuoka at 2pm

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Himeji and Miyajima in the same day? That’s already insane and not-possible enough.

And without getting tickets in advance you’re probably not getting to the sumo in Fukuoka, especially on a weekend.

I get that a lot of tourists want to see everything in Japan on one trip but holy loving poo poo give yourself time to, I don’t know, breathe. Relax. Enjoy.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Himeji is just a stop to see the castle, and Miyajima is overnight... is that still crazy? My understanding is that a lot of people do Miyajima as a day trip so I thought I was giving myself ample time. Hiroshima is really just a stop as well, so there should be a good half day or so that morning in Miyajima.

Tickets for the sumo tournament don't go on sale until October. I will be purchasing in advance. It's not a huge priority for me; I'm just as happy to just explore Fukuoka a bit, but the tournament just happens to be on when I'm there. So if I don't get tickets nbd.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

harperdc posted:

Himeji and Miyajima in the same day? That’s already insane and not-possible enough.

And without getting tickets in advance you’re probably not getting to the sumo in Fukuoka, especially on a weekend.

I get that a lot of tourists want to see everything in Japan on one trip but holy loving poo poo give yourself time to, I don’t know, breathe. Relax. Enjoy.

You forgot the part where they need to Shinkansen to Himeji first.

Yufuin/Kurokawa/Takachiho are possible to do in one day each BY CAR, but not by public transportation. But seriously, unless you are used to super aggressive travel relax your schedule a bit and enjoy, esp if you haven't been to Japan that many times. Esp if you are not fluent at communication (poo poo is bound to go wrong).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And when you are traveling with even just another person the total travel time will go up. Even if your partner is super aggressive

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I'll be on my own after the first stop in Fukuoka. If I eliminate Yufuin and spend a night in Kurokawa and two in Takachiho, is that better, or still way too fast paced? I'll reevaluate the earlier leg of the journey later, but thanks for the heads up. It's really easy to make your schedule based on actual travel time from station a to station b and forget about getting to station a and away from station b to your destination...

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Spend 2 days in kurokawa. Either give up on takachiho or rent a car. The transportation there is quite complicated.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sumo: cheap seats on a weekday. It starts early, but the main time is 4pm - 6pm.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Don't go to Miyajima. You don't need to crave momiji manju every day for the rest of your life.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Yawgmoft posted:

Don't go to Miyajima. You don't need to crave momiji manju every day for the rest of your life.

Just get the custard filled ones and your don't need to worry about that.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Is this a bad time to mention that they have deep fried momiji manju nowadays?

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
Does anyone have any experience with T1 diabetes in Japan?

I know Japan is super stringent with RXs / syringes. I'll only be there for 3 weeks, so I won't need a yakkan shoumei for the sheer amount of drugs I'll be bringing with me. Last time I visited, I was using a device that didn't require syringes (insulin pen & needle) which did not require a yakkan shoumei. I checked the Ministry of Health's website and found this

quote:

◆ Injectable drug and Syringe for the drug: Up to 1 month supply
  * Only "Pre-filled Syringe" or "Self-injection Kit"
Seems contradictory to me? "Syringe for drug" reads to me like syringes, but the asterisk with "Pre-filled Syringe" and "Self-injection Kit" seems to want to exclude stand-alone syringes. Obviously I'll email the Ministry for clarification, but I thought I'd ask you guys first.

edit Just checked the r/japantravel FAQ and found this

quote:

For quasi-drugs and medical devices (ie: syringes, ibuprofen, anti-diarrheals, eye drops) a 2 month supply is permitted without the need for additional paperwork. Anything more than a 2 month supply would require a Yakkan Shoumei. A quasi-drug is commonly known as an "over-the-counter" drug in other countries.
so case closed, I guess.

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 15, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Well I'm back in Japan to meet the family and it's hot. Why must it be hot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I've been checking the temps vs what it is here in the subtropics and it's appalling how much hotter Japan is.

Oh well. Sweating is better than not getting to visit at all I suppose. Check back how I feel about that in two weeks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japan is unique in that it has four seasons, did you know?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

Weird way to spell Korea there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

Now I do. Time to plan to see all 4.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This trip to japan went great. I did experience 3 days of nonstop heavy rain in Kyoto. We were starting to get worried that our airbnb place would get crushed by the rain. but it held.
while 2 airbnb's got cancelled. we contacted the owners of the place and just paid them in cash and they let us stay. it went off without a hitch. We were prepared to just go to a nearby hotel if it went wrong.

Okinawa was hot and great the aquarium was awesome. Stood in line for an hour to eat at ichiran ramen. while it was delicious, it was not worth standing in a line for an hour.
I did go on a tinder date with a girl in Fukuoka while I was in Tokyo. Our flight back to Amsterdam was in 2 days. So after spending the night at her place and spending the next day most of it in Fukuoka watching Gion Yamakasa (amazing!)
I missed the last train that was covered by the rail pass. So I went into the Nozomi and put my shades and hat on and pretended to be asleep. I hoped that the conductor wouldn't check. I arrived back in Tokyo without any issues just in time prepare my suitcase for the flight back. I wanted to wash my clothes in the hotel and the machine took 100 yen. There was another machine next to it which I thought was to get change. But I accidentally ordered a video on demand. I didn't know how to use it.

It was a good vacation.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 16, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

Stood in line for an hour to eat at ichiran ramen. while it was delicious, it was not worth standing in a line for an hour.

:suicide:

Ichiran is only worth it when it's 2am and you don't need to line up. You could have had Afuri which is way better than all the other ramen you had in your life if you find ichiran delicious.

but good stuff and good travels

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna remember to get Afuri if go to japan again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Afuri doesn't have tonkotsu ramen, looks bad Todd.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I had Afuri in Portland and the yuzu tsukemen whips rear end

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A+ trip report thank you come again ^_^

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

:suicide:

Ichiran is only worth it when it's 2am and you don't need to line up. You could have had Afuri which is way better than all the other ramen you had in your life if you find ichiran delicious.

but good stuff and good travels

Ichiran usually doesn’t have a line most of the time as long as you don’t go to the shinjuku one. Roppongi you can generally get right in because few Chinese and Korean tourists go there

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If you want good easy ramen go to bigiya in gakugeidaigaku, michelin recommended and usually no queue

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I've been to Japan once and was originally planning to go alone and basically split my trip between Tokyo and Yakushima with a couple stops in between. However, it worked out that my mom had time during my trip booked off for plans that had fallen through, so she's coming too, for part of the trip. I've made some modifications to my plans in order to accommodate her coming with me as a first (and probably only) timer. This is why I had some ridiculously fast paced stuff going on in my previous post - she wanted to see sumo and I wanted her to see Miyajima. This is my current plan:

Nov 3 arrive in Tokyo
Nov 4 Mom arrives in Tokyo at 6pm.
Nov 5-6 Tokyo
Nov 7-8 Nikko
Nov 9 Tokyo
Nov 10 Himeji
Nov 11 Hiroshima
Nov 12 Mom goes back to Tokyo and flies home, I go to Miyajima
Nov 13-14 ????
Nov 15 Fukuoka.
Nov 16 fly home out of Fukuoka

Does this look okay? Not too rushed? Anyone have ideas what to do for two days between Miyajima and Fukuoka? I think I'd like to go somewhere smaller and a bit less toured and/or a hot spring. I'm really flexible on this - like I said I originally had planned to go to Yakushima but there's no way that'll work now. I was thinking about going down into Kyushu after that became apparent, but maybe staying closer in southwest Honshu would be better. Tsuwano or Hagi or something? or maybe Kurokawa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Spend an extra day on Miyajima and climb Mt. Misen.