Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I hadn't before had a chance to love the worm, but now I do.

And it loves me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Eltoasto posted:

I hadn't before had a chance to love the worm, but now I do.

And it loves me.

What was, will be
What will be, was

And all manner of things shall be well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rumda posted:

That they're orbiting at full maintenance build crew quarters.

Uh, no. It's the exact opposite. The yellow icon means they're orbiting a place without crew quarters, but maintenance is still reduced by orbiting a starport, without crew quarters, just not as much.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Libluini posted:

Uh, no. It's the exact opposite. The yellow icon means they're orbiting a place without crew quarters, but maintenance is still reduced by orbiting a starport, without crew quarters, just not as much.

His post was written really poorly, put a comma/period after 'maintenance' and his post makes a lot more sense. He's trying to say you should build crew quarters.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah. That makes sense.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I got screwed well and thoroughly by the crisis this time around. The contingency popped up in the middle of my empire with my fleets on the opposite side of the map mopping up a holy war. Not a big deal, I have the income, shipyards and reserves to spam an extra fleet and hold off their attacks. But then an awakened empire declares war on me and shortly after, my fallen Caretaker neighbours go berserk and declare war on me too. So that's a crisis and two awakened empires at once. Not to mention half the galaxy started smelling blood and laying claims on my systems, but they should have their hands full with the contingency soon enough.

It took over a year, but I gathered my fleets and upgraded them, together with a monster of a federation fleet. My one federation member was in a worse spot with a hub almost by their homeworld, but I figured I could focus on the contingency in my territory and then help them out. One jump away from the hub, the federation fleet changed hands and hosed off. :bang: The Caretakers started pushing into my territory from the opposite side around then too. Things were looking grim, so I surrendered to the other awakened empire. Of course that means I'm no longer in a federation, but probably for the best, last I saw the federation fleet was headed on a solo suicide run towards another hub.

So now I'm kinda stuck. I don't have large or tough enough a fleet to take out the contingency hub, so I have to try and take out the berserk Caretakers while still leaving enough of my fleet at home to stop the contingency from taking more territory. Which is kind of important, since they are uncomfortably close to my Dyson Sphere. Losing that would cripple my economy, since I'm operating far above fleet cap.

Edit: gently caress, I need to respec for PD if I'm going to fight the caretakers.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 16, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rumda posted:

That they're orbiting at full maintenance build crew quarters.

Ah, right. That's fine then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeahhhhhh you never want to let the caretakers survive to the endgame crisis because if it's the contingency they will go rampant and now you've got two separate armadas tag teaming you.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

yeahhhhhh you never want to let the caretakers survive to the endgame crisis because if it's the contingency they will go rampant and now you've got two separate armadas tag teaming you.

Eh, 1/3 chance they'll go nuts, but 2/3 chance they'll wake up and help you out. Or try to, anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Really? In the four games with the contingency in it I've had, the three times the caretakers survived they went rampant. The fourth time I took them out before they could.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Sometimes you can get really unlucky and have the same crap pop up over and over. Other times you realize those ringworlds could be put to much better use by you and don't wait to see what fate has in store for you.

Same with the L-gates for me. Back when Distant Stars first dropped I got nothing but loving nantes, over and over again. To the point where I stopped opening the gates. Past 4 or 5 games now the place has been empty when I get around to opening it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Sometimes you can get really unlucky and have the same crap pop up over and over. Other times you realize those ringworlds could be put to much better use by you and don't wait to see what fate has in store for you.

Same with the L-gates for me. Back when Distant Stars first dropped I got nothing but loving nantes, over and over again. To the point where I stopped opening the gates. Past 4 or 5 games now the place has been empty when I get around to opening it.

I got my first non nanite opening and was just disappointed by it after building fleets for it and bastions at the two gates i had.

You don't get to terraform anything with empty opens so it really sucked

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

It seems like Admiral difficulty is a huge step up from Commodore? I've gone from being either equivalent or stronger than anyone to constantly getting stomped. Twice now I've started a game only for one of my neighbors to be constantly in a position to kick me in the nuts constantly. I've been trying to keep a big enough fleet. but my lack of energy is always screwing me.

Actually that's one of my problems in all of my games is once I start claiming systems I get rather sizable problems with energy income. Even if I build all the power plants I can, refrain from building research and mining outposts to save on costs, I'm struggling to maintain a solid income constantly and even if I do have the fleet capacity to have a stronger military, I simply can't afford to. Which the AI is ruthlessly exploiting to kick me in the dick again and again over.

It also seems that AI get a lot smarter about their ship designs too.

Are you building starbases over your planets and stuffing them with trading hubs and the building that buffs them?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wiz agreed today that end game crisis chances are hosed up:

"We already lowered these [contingency spawn chance modifier] weights once but obviously not enough. I made some major tweaks to lower them down to be more in line with the other crises (max of x6 multiplier)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/stellaris/comments/8z19qp/_/

So uh enjoy contingency till next patch I guess :)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ihmemies posted:

"We already lowered these [contingency spawn chance modifier] weights once but obviously not enough. I made some major tweaks to lower them down to be more in line with the other crises (max of x6 multiplier)"

Ah. The dumb mod I made to eliminate the Contingency and rebalance the other two can go away now.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ihmemies posted:

gently caress yeah!!!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

It ended up being an easy fight. I think a large portion of their fleet must have been off attacking somebody else, because I only had to walk through 3 100kish stacks and some stragglers to get to their home system. The contingency hub was costly, but doable afterwards, now that I had that sweet fallen empire tech, not to mention the ringworlds.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at how slowly the contingency expands. The initial attack is terrifying, but they sure do take their time after conquering the first 5 systems or so.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Contingency spawns construction ships at a much lower rate than anything else, and its war fleets are reluctant to get too far ahead of their station building. If you need them to slow the gently caress down, snipe the construction ships--just be aware it won't slow down warfleet spawn rates.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They also expand in a roughly circular pattern which often leads to long delays while they shuffle fleets into position. You may have time to build bastions sometimes if necessary since the expansion is fairly predictable.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Strobe posted:

I promoted one of my factions (65% base happiness, resulting in pops with ~90% happiness, it was great). I check back a few months later and all the factions are gone. :(

EDIT: all annoyance suddenly evaporated because the Vechtar Zavonia event generated the system literally adjacent to my Life-Seeded homeworld at the end of a spiral arm. Perfect placement.

what happens when you promote a faction? if you have 4-5 factions, with population pretty much evenly split, what will happen when i pick one, wont it just piss the rest of them off?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CoolHandMat posted:

what happens when you promote a faction? if you have 4-5 factions, with population pretty much evenly split, what will happen when i pick one, wont it just piss the rest of them off?

IIRC when a faction falls below 5 members it will disband. Promoting a faction just adds some likelihood that POPs will flip to them the next time they switch ethics, it's not a guarantee.

Some POPs just love being contrarian assholes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is Vechtar Zavonia limited to certain ethics and/or biologics? I can't understand why I have never seen it in half a dozen games.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is there anything good in the system guarded by a rogue psionic avatar that's only accessible by wormhole? I've gotten it three times now but never in a position/circumstance to actually kill the drat thing and find out what's up.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CoolHandMat posted:

The race I’m playing rn started with the “deviant” and “quarrelsome” negative traits and my entire empire was basically one massive riot for its first two centuries until I could gene mod it out of them. I tried to manage my factions at first but after I broke about fifteen I just gave up.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay the quest chain where you find the fungus people on the hidden Gaia planet keeps bugging out for me. Second time the fleet strength has shown as 25 and not able to bombard the world. Is there a console command to delete fleets?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

Is Vechtar Zavonia limited to certain ethics and/or biologics? I can't understand why I have never seen it in half a dozen games.

I don't think so? It used to be one of the first things I ran into when first starting a game but it seems to have been pushed further down the list now, it should still show up fairly reliably since each anomaly can only show up once a game now. You'll get to it eventually if you don't run out of planets to scan.

McSpanky posted:

Is there anything good in the system guarded by a rogue psionic avatar that's only accessible by wormhole? I've gotten it three times now but never in a position/circumstance to actually kill the drat thing and find out what's up.

There is a gaia planet and an anomaly that eventually grants a level cap and experience gain bonus to your leaders - pretty good but you're not missing much if you can't get to it.

edit:

Benagain posted:

Okay the quest chain where you find the fungus people on the hidden Gaia planet keeps bugging out for me. Second time the fleet strength has shown as 25 and not able to bombard the world. Is there a console command to delete fleets?
Select the fleet (any fleet, yours, AI, monsters, anything). Open the console. Type 'damage [some large number]' and press enter. Fleet will go away. Keep in mind that this will not cause certain events to trigger if you destroy fleets this way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I got the Shroud event that gives you that Avatar thing but nothing actually happened when I did it.
Is it a known bug? I'm pretty disappointed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any reason not to fill my starbases with shipyards, anchorages and trading hubs and leave all weapons to the defense platforms?

Applewhite posted:

The race I’m playing rn started with the “deviant” and “quarrelsome” negative traits and my entire empire was basically one massive riot for its first two centuries until I could gene mod it out of them. I tried to manage my factions at first but after I broke about fifteen I just gave up.
Weird, I used those on my starting humans to get Adaptive, Natural Engineers and Nomads and had zero issues. I had three factions and only cracked 4 when I started conquering Fanatical Purifier planets and integrating Hegemonic Imperialist vassals, and the former disappeared as soon as I vassalized them.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 17, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any reason not to fill my starbases with shipyards, anchorages and trading hubs and leave all weapons to the defense platforms?

I only put weapons (like the gun/missile building) on starbases I intend to use on chokepoints.

I don't put defense platforms on anything unless I'm at war against superior foes, and even then, I only put them on key checkpoints.

Otherwise my starbase priority goes:

1 Shipyard within reasonable distance of any part of my empire (this often turns into ONE shipyard once I get Gateways)
Enough trading posts to keep me positive on energy production.
Everything else is Anchorages

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a single chokepoint that an overwhelming enemy had to go through to get to me, and slapped 14 defense platforms on the star fortress there. It annihilated their three fleets at once and when the great khan inevitably came calling shortly after that, took out one of their fleets before getting obliterated by the khan's main fleet. Defense platforms are pricey but worth it if you get a lot on one location and get the hull upgrades.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Applewhite posted:

The trick is that you need to keep pops happy. Sad pops are more likely to switch ethics, which causes a runaway effect. So keep them happy in the first place.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
poo poo, I've been putting platforms on anything strategically important (mostly because I have another Hegemonic Imperialist two hops from Earth through Alpha Centauri). I've also only built the 4x Medium platform with guns and plasma so I guess it's time to modernize the fleet. Friendly and federation associate or not, I don't need them getting ideas :tinfoil:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How are you goons outfitting your platforms? I usually go with a even mix of weapon tiers, with small/small, medium/missles, heavy/PD, and then variants (for pulsars or other systems where I want to specialize)

Hangers still seem poo poo compared to small/small.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Shumagorath posted:

The flip side of your question is that weapon modules in the starbase act as a multiplier to your starbase's fleet rating above and beyond the presence of the weapon, so even with weapon platform spam they're useful to have if you're building a starbase specifically for combat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gyshall posted:

How are you goons outfitting your platforms? I usually go with a even mix of weapon tiers, with small/small, medium/missles, heavy/PD, and then variants (for pulsars or other systems where I want to specialize)

Hangers still seem poo poo compared to small/small.
I never bother with Medium weapons because that is all the Starbase has on it. Otherwise yeah that is what I go for.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Is it only possible to selectively genocide purge pops? I want to abandon a planet that I can’t really make use of but don’t want to get rid of the entire species that lives on it - most of them are slaves on my other planets. But selecting purge all on planet does the skull face purge, which I assume will make everyone pissed at me, including my overwhelming ally.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Shumagorath posted:

The other guys covered most of the key points, but I do believe that the bonus to hp/armor spreads to your defense platforms which really helps out that chokepoint system. I'd also suggest that the -fleet disengage chance module is stupid good if you're going to win the fight anyways, as it really helps ensure you get more kills.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Some POPs just love being contrarian assholes.

We have a benevolent democratic government where all species are represented and life is a utopian abundance of prosperity forall beings....

Pops: But.... why dont we have a king?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

The trick is that you need to keep pops happy. Sad pops are more likely to switch ethics, which causes a runaway effect. So keep them happy in the first place.

Yeah it didn’t help that the game had set their default living conditions to “impoverished” without telling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Yeah it didn’t help that the game had set their default living conditions to “impoverished” without telling me.

:capitalism: