Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Got the stupid broken snap ring out of the Crown Vic's transmission, fished the broken bits out of the valve body, dumped in NINE QUARTS of $7/quart Mercon V (at least it's not a GTR...), and it's all good an happy. Thank God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Digging into the AZ-1 now and I'm a bit miffed that I apparently don't have the OEM uh, sill cards? The parts that sit underneath the doors on either side. I've got board there that's cut to fit, but it's covered in 'I swear it's real' carbon fiber sticker, which itself is over previous 'OEM I PROMISE' shiny red sticker. The passenger side is supposed to have a little bump out but nope, gone. Wish I had the OEM driver's seat instead of this goofy racing seat with a 4 point harness. Wish they didn't drill into the dashboard for the poo poo-rear end carbon fiber dashcover. Took out the rear shelf brace-bar. Was going to remove that carbon-fiber look rear board set but again, they tossed the OEM shelf (and in-place-of-glove-box pack) so now I'm stuck with this unless I want to sit on bare metal. Figure I'll just get some black fabric and wrap the side-boards and rear boards to at least attempt to put it back to OEM-like.
I did find the inserts for the top of the doors to keep the sun off my head. I also need a whole bunch of black plastic fasteners.

I don't mind the CF so much, but yeah, they really didn't need to screw that stuff on. I appreciate and value the ability to go back to stock.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Darchangel posted:

I don't mind the CF so much, but yeah, they really didn't need to screw that stuff on. I appreciate and value the ability to go back to stock.

But its fake carbon fiber stickers. Who are those for? Everyone who knows what carbon fiber is can instantly tell its fakes so the only one you are fooling is yourself and you get to look like a poser too.

There were a few of these fake carbon fiber stickers in my GTR too. Why Japan? Why?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kaker whats your bigness level? I heard the autozam is pretty much unusable for folks over 5'9"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Washed, clayed, polished, and waxed so the 24 hr clock before it's dirty has been reset. Getting in and out I managed to tear a convertible top gasket and turns out it's priced at $rape and there's a single inaccessible screw that might mean I have to remove the entire top completely to undo.

It's really put a damper on the good clean car feeling...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sneakyfrog posted:

kaker whats your bigness level? I heard the autozam is pretty much unusable for folks over 5'9"

5'10" and "thin". I'm 157 lbs and wear 32 size pants. It feels perfect for me though the seat is properly snug. Someone a bit taller would be ok but no wider.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wouldn't fit even with the seat pulled out :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Same, I bet.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Powershift posted:

Wan't to see if you could fit in a AZ-1, Beat or Cappo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZu7HZCfvc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Loanarn posted:

Wan't to see if you could fit in a AZ-1, Beat or Cappo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZu7HZCfvc

Clarkson drove a beat with the seat in and i'm only 4 inches taller than him so that's a maybe.

e: i'm 206cm and 140kg :(
e2: i should also mention i have all the stuff to move the seat back 4-6 inches in my 19 foot long lincoln, i'm just lazy. If i can move it down at the same time without hacking anything, i'll probably do that too.

I'M A MONSTER :cry:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 16, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Loanarn posted:

But its fake carbon fiber stickers. Who are those for? Everyone who knows what carbon fiber is can instantly tell its fakes so the only one you are fooling is yourself and you get to look like a poser too.

There were a few of these fake carbon fiber stickers in my GTR too. Why Japan? Why?

its japan yo, sometimes they do weird poo poo

like, sticking real carbon throughout the interior of a 4dr toyota sedan

(not mine pictured, mines a 5spd)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

SquirrelGrip posted:

its japan yo, sometimes they do weird poo poo

like, sticking real carbon throughout the interior of a 4dr toyota sedan

(not mine pictured, mines a 5spd)

I bet that Toyota doesn't have carbon fiber cowling

:suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I rearranged some couches :smug:

This is gonna shock you, they're loving heavy.

Limits of stock location:

Just moved back:

The power seat mechanism, 3 motors, 3 gearboxes. this thing weighs like 50 pounds itself:

Mechanism removed and seat moved back. It has a solid frame to it, so it'll be easy to mount rigidly in the lowest, and furthest back location. The passenger side and middle seats in the back will still be functional.: At least 6 inches back and probably 3 inches down, and all bolt in, no hacking or loss of comfyness.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Mr-Spain posted:

So I got a chance to hoon for a little bit, nothing much just a little slippery intersection and I didn't put it down enough to slip, thought it would be enough, put some more into it and nope just went straight and hauled. Full traction control on, sport mode on, rolled onto it from about 10 MPH or so. Lots more confident I won't ditch it on my next run.

I ended up ordering those tires today, I'll probably have them installed Monday.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'd love to park an AZ-1 next to that monster Lincoln.

I convinced myself to get some actual tools for this sort of work because wow I busted my rear end all day today over this tiny car doing this by hand.

Nothing I can do about the missing paint on that front left fender but goddamn it looks so much better. Still probably going to wrap it though because of the missing paint. I also really dislike the black hood, rather it match the rest of the car. Those Volks tho, choice.

EDIT

Found out that the 'DESERT EAGLE' muffler I have on this is titanium which kinda sucks because it's broken off the hanger on the right side, which is why it's hanging weirdly low on the right and also why half the exhaust just blows out of that former-hanger hole :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 19, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank gently caress for single stage paint, ay

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Hit the car with some Chemical Guys Blacklight and then hit the windshield with some Rejex. I need a little more correction on the paint before I hit the car with a sealant.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Nothing I can do about the missing paint on that front left fender but goddamn it looks so much better. Still probably going to wrap it though because of the missing paint. I also really dislike the black hood, rather it match the rest of the car. Those Volks tho, choice.

EDIT

Found out that the 'DESERT EAGLE' muffler I have on this is titanium which kinda sucks because it's broken off the hanger on the right side, which is why it's hanging weirdly low on the right and also why half the exhaust just blows out of that former-hanger hole :v:

There should be a finish masters near you who can match the exact color of the fender. Just bring in something so they can match the fading.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ah yes, the unmistakeable sight of a huge pile of MF towels post-detailing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I'd love to park an AZ-1 next to that monster Lincoln.

I convinced myself to get some actual tools for this sort of work because wow I busted my rear end all day today over this tiny car doing this by hand.

EDIT

Holy crap that’s so much better.
There’s got to be someone near you who can weld titanium. I don’t even know the process involved, mind you. TIG, I guess?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Darchangel posted:

Holy crap that’s so much better.
There’s got to be someone near you who can weld titanium. I don’t even know the process involved, mind you. TIG, I guess?

Bicycle frame welder?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, shouldn't be too hard to find.
People familiar with bicycle frames, motorcycle exhausts, RC airplane parts, etc.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Anyone with a TIG can do it, it just takes the right filler and plenty of shielding gas.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Installed kooks headers on my SS. Gonna finish the x pipe tomorrow, I ran out of daylight. Time so far: 6 hours on jack stands. 2 of which were me trying to remove O2 sensors from the factory manifold, since I guess they don't know what anti seize is in Australia.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friend's mother's car.

Suspected it jumped timing, but it had a very dead battery that wasn't helping. Figured I'd toss a cam position sensor at it, since it had a CPS code (along with a dozen others, mostly related to the transmission, a few related to low voltage). Friend got the battery, I ordered the CPS on a whim in hopes that it would work. I mean, it's $20, and it's easy to get to once the battery is out.

Also, get this, the CPS acts as the thrust bearing for the cam on the Mopar 2.4, according to the paper that came with the sensor. :wtc:

To nobody's (well, not my) surprise, it still won't start, it just cranks a lot faster (and now backfires out of the intake if you give it any gas while cranking). Still tosses a CPS code immediately, and it gives a flashing CEL while cranking now (that's a new one on me, it even kept flashing for a bit after I let go of the key); the only other remaining codes are all related to the TCM. It's backfiring from the intake while cranking, and there's a strong gasoline smell from the intake; I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be firing the injectors or plugs if the CPS wasn't working.

tl;dr stick a fork in your interference PT Cruiser engine, it's dead.

Upside: 1 more PT off the roads. Downsides: they be dirt poor, and there's a title loan out on the car. I don't think daughter knows about the loan on it - I asked her if it was paid off, she said yes. I think it's in everyone's best interests if mom lets the loan company snatch it; having relied on payday and title loans before, I know they're pretty ruthless, and they probably won't bother her (much) about the residual once they auction it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

So, I finished with the Kooks exhaust install. I had everything I needed except an exhaust expander, which I didn't even know was a thing. I did it all on jackstands, it took a total of 8 hours. If I were to do it again I could probably do it in 5-6. Results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjCsyBoZCEw

~15db louder on cold start, about the same revving the car in neutral (4k rpm limit in neutral). The car is substantially louder at full throttle under load, with a bit of rasp. I will either get a Borla axleback or some magnaflow resonators to help quiet it down.

Jet Hot coated headers to Kooks Green Cats

Kooks sent me their updated X pipe so it clears the tunnel brace

Easily clears the tunnel brace

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

STR posted:

Friend's mother's car.

Suspected it jumped timing, but it had a very dead battery that wasn't helping. Figured I'd toss a cam position sensor at it, since it had a CPS code (along with a dozen others, mostly related to the transmission, a few related to low voltage). Friend got the battery, I ordered the CPS on a whim in hopes that it would work. I mean, it's $20, and it's easy to get to once the battery is out.

Also, get this, the CPS acts as the thrust bearing for the cam on the Mopar 2.4, according to the paper that came with the sensor. :wtc:

To nobody's (well, not my) surprise, it still won't start, it just cranks a lot faster (and now backfires out of the intake if you give it any gas while cranking). Still tosses a CPS code immediately, and it gives a flashing CEL while cranking now (that's a new one on me, it even kept flashing for a bit after I let go of the key); the only other remaining codes are all related to the TCM. It's backfiring from the intake while cranking, and there's a strong gasoline smell from the intake; I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be firing the injectors or plugs if the CPS wasn't working.

tl;dr stick a fork in your interference PT Cruiser engine, it's dead.

Upside: 1 more PT off the roads. Downsides: they be dirt poor, and there's a title loan out on the car. I don't think daughter knows about the loan on it - I asked her if it was paid off, she said yes. I think it's in everyone's best interests if mom lets the loan company snatch it; having relied on payday and title loans before, I know they're pretty ruthless, and they probably won't bother her (much) about the residual once they auction it.

If you're feeling industrious, and you can figure out a way to get it back in time, PT engines aren't interference in the traditional sense- the pistons won't hit the valves, but the valves can hit each other. Last time I looked into this, I figured it was about a 50/50 on whether the valves would survive a broken timing belt or jumped timing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

doogle posted:

So, I finished with the Kooks exhaust install....

Christ, the underbody is cleaner than most surgical rooms in these parts.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

glyph posted:

If you're feeling industrious, and you can figure out a way to get it back in time, PT engines aren't interference in the traditional sense- the pistons won't hit the valves, but the valves can hit each other. Last time I looked into this, I figured it was about a 50/50 on whether the valves would survive a broken timing belt or jumped timing.

I have had the same luck with some interference motors not grenading themselves as well. Some of them need to jump quite a bit of teeth before they contact.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, the underbody is cleaner than most surgical rooms in these parts.
That front tire wear, though ...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Unloaded it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Put a stock intake in it and flashed it back to a stock tuned map with FlashPro. Now if only I had some kind of idea what I was looking at... (I'm flashing it back to the 100% Honda stock tune based on seeing some knock here, I don't even want to know how bad it was with the other tune + intake)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 21, 2018

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I'm not an expert on Honda engines, but that KR spike of ~10 seems scary

edit: looking closer it seems most of the KR is at part throttle; probably not as big of a deal

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 21, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Different tune seems to have fixed it, guess the Hondata stock tuned map isn't very great off the shelf

It runs a fuckload better than when I bought it, that's for goddamn sure.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

glyph posted:

Yeah, I told them pretty much that they have a 50/50 shot at it running once they get it back in time, particularly since it skipped either at shutdown or while cranking. But a timing belt on anything that's not a Honda is far outside of my wheelhouse. I don't want to be responsible for this thing leaving them stranded.

Plus I'm moving in a bit over a week. I honestly don't have the time to work on it, between packing, cleaning, and working. I'm still working full time instead of being smart and taking a few days off before the move. I'll probably go ahead and take next Sunday off.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I have had the same luck with some interference motors not grenading themselves as well. Some of them need to jump quite a bit of teeth before they contact.

I had a Honda A20 (86-89 Accord, mine was an 88 LXi) that survived the timing belt shedding a bunch of teeth. Supposedly interference, but I found a shop that was owned by an old school Honda dealer mechanic who had gone out on his own. He asked what kind of RPM it was at when it died (died when I clutched-in to downshift around a turn, so basically at idle) and if I'd tried to start it (yes, but heard the starter nearly freewheeling, so I knew the timing belt let go). He told me he'd pull the plugs, look down in there, and if it looked good, he'll just line it back up and slap an OEM timing belt kit on it (this was before cheap borescopes - late 1990s). Claimed he only saw these engines bend valves if the belt let go at high RPMs.

Later in the day.. "your car's done. Compression is good, no damage".

That dude wound up working on every Honda I owned. His son in law also worked there, and spun off into his own shop awhile back... his son in law has worked on every car I've owned, except for my first (1980 F-150) and my current one, either via his FIL's shop, or his own. And he's the only mechanic my mom trusts with her car, despite the long as hell drive (~45 minutes).

Now I'm gonna have to find a trustworthy shop in Austin.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: nothing to see here, just an idiot that had 2 post windows open at once.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

STR posted:

e: nothing to see here, just an idiot that had 2 post windows open at once.

:glomp: love you STR :glomp:

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Sounds good!

Debating what I want to do with my ZL1.

Stock sounds good at WOT but I'm not a huge fan of the sound it makes transitioning the valves from close to open during partial acceleration. Might just be that my stock valves are sticking, but prefer to not bring my car to the dealer if I can.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Got all 4 replaced today with Firehawk Indy 500s as per Mr-Spain's recommendation. They are way more grippy than the Bridgestone RE050a that came with the car. They are quieter as well, overall I would buy them again. Especially since they are less than $800/set, what I would normally go with would be PSS, but those were over $1200 for the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

Double post