Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If food and water and shelter and so on have no intrinsic value then it shouldn't be a problem to provide them to everybody free of charge. Sounds pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

If food and water and shelter and so on have no intrinsic value then it shouldn't be a problem to provide them to everybody free of charge. Sounds pretty sweet.

I agree. That should be done.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Sep 29, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nurge posted:

What if a group of people wanted to deny those things to certain other groups of people and campaigned vociferously to that effect on the streets?

Would you be against that group's principles?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

sebzilla posted:

What if a group of people wanted to deny those things to certain other groups of people and campaigned vociferously to that effect on the streets?

Those people would need to be corrected of their chosen mistake.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

"If you're against being on fire then you're by definition a firefighter" :rolleyes:

Nah. Anti-fascists are people who actually Do something against fascism (and sharing facebook articles of how some liberal comedian totally made fun of Trump #theresistance doesn't count :ssh: )

What if you're against the work of firefighters and think they should just leave the fires alone to do what they want?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

In theory I guess, just like I'm in support of that in theory. I don't really care that much since I can't personally influence it in any way.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebzilla posted:

What if you're against the work of firefighters and think they should just leave the fires alone to do what they want?

Then you're a liberal.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

"If you're against being on fire then you're by definition a firefighter" :rolleyes:

I mean yes, in that if there is a fire nearby I will put it out. I'm not a professional at it but I will do it because I'm not like, apathetic to fire consuming everything.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who is depressed about being a cog in the capitalist system that exploits people should read about Filip Müller.

Basically he was a Jewish prisoner in the death camps who had a personal hand in the murder of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of people. He was allowed to live because he was a very productive cog in the Holocaust machine. He tried to commit suicide by walking into a gas chamber. He decided not to kill himself after being told that he has a chance to live, and should take that chance so he can tell the world about his experience.

So the moral of the story is that if you're a cog in the capitalist system then there is nothing you can do personally to destroy the system. What you can do is survive, and maybe some outside force will destroy the system, at which point you can have a hand in building a more just world.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The arts have defined every civilization up to this point, it separates us from the animals, and it really confirms how lovely our current society is because of how much we hate it. Suppressing artistic endeavours is the act of suppressing humanity. Very fitting.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Hey kids! Become a Blood Bag, just like in the hit movie Mad Max: Fury Road (available now on Bluray)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nurge posted:

welcome to the antifa super soldier program, brother

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

welcome to the antifa super soldier program, brother

Eh. I mean if I thought that did any good I would sign up. I just don't think beating up inbred idiots demonstrating is going to do anything. The problems are so much farther up the hill I won't be able to ever touch it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kill your landlord

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

So the moral of the story is that if you're a cog in the capitalist system then there is nothing you can do personally to destroy the system. What you can do is survive, and maybe some outside force will destroy the system, at which point you can have a hand in building a more just world.

That's a lovely as gently caress moral. If no individual will act then were is this mysterious outside force going to come from?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
due to extreme fox news brain rot, half the country will go fash if they think it's now socially acceptable. this means fascists can multiply like rabbits which is why they need the poo poo beat out of them as soon as they show their faces

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ekuNNN posted:

Hmm yeah, letting them build a violent street movement without opposition seems like the right idea, because we can't solve all racism right now. Mitigating harm is for losers who care about things.

No, it's cool. We did nothing when fascism showed up 80 years ago and that all worked out fine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nurge posted:

Eh. I mean if I thought that did any good I would sign up. I just don't think beating up inbred idiots demonstrating is going to do anything. The problems are so much farther up the hill I won't be able to ever touch it.

It does prevent them from chucking firebombs through the nearest halal butcher’s windows when the rally is over. Fascism isn’t just a violent ideology, it’s an ideology of violence, where constant, purifying bloodshed is the end-goal. Fascist literature is remarkably explicit about this, and while your average neo-Nazi goon isn’t a big reader, you can get the folks organising them are. A peaceful fascist rally is a contradiction in terms - they are only ever preludes to and incitements of violence, and it’s better that that violence happens at the protest lines rather than in some unfortunate black family’s house.

I mean, it would be even better if the police would take fascism seriously and deal with it in a measured, efficient, and accountable way, rather than forcing folks to rely on vigilante mobs to keep them safe, but... well, you’ve seen the rest of this thread.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

It does prevent them from chucking firebombs through the nearest halal butcher’s windows when the rally is over. Fascism isn’t just a violent ideology, it’s an ideology of violence, where constant, purifying bloodshed is the end-goal. Fascist literature is remarkably explicit about this, and while your average neo-Nazi goon isn’t a big reader, you can get the folks organising them are. A peaceful fascist rally is a contradiction in terms - they are only ever preludes to and incitements of violence, and it’s better that that violence happens at the protest lines rather than in some unfortunate black family’s house.

I mean, it would be even better if the police would take fascism seriously and deal with it in a measured, efficient, and accountable way, rather than forcing folks to rely on vigilante mobs to keep them safe, but... well, you’ve seen the rest of this thread.

I don't live in the US though, and the police do take the fash seriously here. I mean it's still potentially possible to gather against them, but I see very little point. It's just a demonstration and I have better things to spend my energy on. If I lived in the US I might actually be more likely to care about the fringe right movements. I'm not sure. Either way this is the world I live in, so I pick my battles and causes I care about.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Kill the rich

History has shown that is the only way to enact greater change

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Kill the rich

History has shown that is the only way to enact greater change

It'd be so easy, they're so complacent these days. Back in the past they built castles to live in so you couldn't loving brain them for being evil.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Beating up fascists is good practice for when you have to beat the poo poo out of the rich

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ekuNNN posted:

I'm guessing you're Dutch going by your avatar, and this is a very wrong view of what actually happens here. To name one example from recent years: the only reason PEGIDA netherlands is now like 8 people noone takes seriously is because we confronted them at every demonstration they held, especially their first in Utrecht, and this drove away all the casual racists and people who want to look respectable and only left a small group of hardcore nazis and worm-brain islamophobes who quickly got bored of being outnumbered and confined at their demos.

I'm not dutch. Someone who thought they were clever bought me this. I don't really mean to downplay the value of gathering against the alt-right, but honestly the people actually in political positions are very rarely in any contact with the racist shitbags on the ground. I just don't see the value in spending a lot of time on a few fringe nuts, I'm sorry.

It's a personal stance, and other people disagree. I hope their stuff works out.

e: Just to be clear I'm from Finland.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
most fascists dont take to the streets. they whine about anti fascists on the internet and become cops

the woke twitter brigade might actually be the most powerful force against fascism in modern times lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Darth Walrus posted:

US cops literally enable and collaborate with the fascists (hint: they're also fascists), doing nothing would be extremely preferred.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

US cops literally enable and collaborate with the fascists (hint: they're also fascists), doing nothing would be extremely preferred.

That was what I was alluding to with the last paragraph, yes.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Try calling a spade a spade instead of extremely bad weaselly language that enables fascism by omission.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
if you want a fun lark, watch Season 30 and Season 31 of Cops. its masterfully edited to make the officers look as good as possible to the right audiences, but they are LOGGED IN. and it's only 2018. it's just a matter of time before we cut out the middleman of "due process" and law enforcement is completely privatized. then they'll get the most lethal loving futuretech. it's completely terrifying and also kinda bleakly hilarious watching the future unfold just as we were told it would.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ligament posted:

if you want a fun lark, watch Season 30 and Season 31 of Cops. its masterfully edited to make the officers look as good as possible to the right audiences, but they are LOGGED IN. and it's only 2018. it's just a matter of time before we cut out the middleman of "due process" and law enforcement is completely privatized. then they'll get the most lethal loving futuretech. it's completely terrifying and also kinda bleakly hilarious watching the future unfold just as we were told it would.

no one but boomers watches cops anymore and we all know cops are bad

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Try calling a spade a spade instead of extremely bad weaselly language that enables fascism by omission.

Come on dude. This kind of beating up on people who are on your side is exactly why I loving hate interacting with the internet left, even though I agree with their positions on pretty nearly everything. There's no harm in using roundabout language. I'm pretty sure everyone here figured out what they meant anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
This is why I hate interacting with non-leftists, where critique is de facto attack. There is absolutely harm in using roundabout language, roundabout language is employed by the same force you're criticizing to great effect (e.g., "officer involved shooting"), self-censorship is precisely what fascists love to inculcate in every and all fascist movements... I wonder why.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)