Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it becomes a feedback loop thing as well, where people read about what kind of personality their Myers-Briggs test says they are (which was probably a free online test instead of paying money for the real Myers-Briggs test) and start subconsciously emulating the behavior that they read is "what they are".

It's Hogwarts houses for a slightly different brand of broken insufferable person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's Hogwarts houses for the exact same brand of broken insufferable person.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That image just took five years off my life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The combination of liberal centrism and Harry Potter is starting to make my past in the Sonic fandom feel less embarassing somehow.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sonic is woke
No_moral_consumption_under_capitalism. jpg

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it becomes a feedback loop thing as well, where people read about what kind of personality their Myers-Briggs test says they are (which was probably a free online test instead of paying money for the real Myers-Briggs test) and start subconsciously emulating the behavior that they read is "what they are".

No thing as real Meyers-Briggs test. People who pay that are just paying for same useless result. No researcher ever take it serious, it being made by psychology amateurs who held degree of unrelated field like agriculture.

Smart people made it, but is like Linus Pauling thinking that winning nobel prize of chemistry mean he can cure cancer with vitamin pill.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Omg guys, I am SUCH a huffleclaw!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is like, a few degrees away from determining your fursona.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is like, a few degrees away from determining your fursona.

All the furries I know nowadays are communists so let's not go slandering furries by comparison

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Morroque posted:

Even back when I was in Catholic school, I was always pondering the actions of pro-life politics in the the United States; where they were demanding every child be born, yet were also deliberately shutting down the things necessary to care for those children after they were born, such as public schools and labour protections for paternal leave and such. Yet, for some reason, none of this obviously is a source of narrative dysphoria, and has never been a source of any concern for them. So what's the reason for that?

You might want to read a book by neurolinguist George Lakoff called Moral Politics. It is probably the best book on what underlies politics in general, and it presents a coherent version of conservatism that explains a contradiction like the one above.

From what I've heard, though, it's pretty dense, but if you want an answer to that question I think it is the only book that provides it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

All the furries I know nowadays are communists so let's not go slandering furries by comparison

Fair enough. We need to secure the furry-juggalo-antifa alliance and really explode some conservative heads.

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

You might want to read a book by neurolinguist George Lakoff called Moral Politics. It is probably the best book on what underlies politics in general, and it presents a coherent version of conservatism that explains a contradiction like the one above.

From what I've heard, though, it's pretty dense, but if you want an answer to that question I think it is the only book that provides it.

I figure the short answer is that American Christianity has been mostly entirely corrupted by capitalism as worship of wealth with vestigial scriptural fault lines to make them easy to manipulate by politicians.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Prester Jane's theories are insightful and predictive in a lot of ways, but to be blunt, this thread sometimes isn't very far away from declaring that like the problem with the Democratic and Republican parties is that there are too many people with the wrong Meyers-Briggs type in leadership positions.

You're getting into some really weird territory with regard to personality as opposed to ideology, and I really don't want to get bogged down in an argument on that, which is certain to be as fruitless as it is untouched by real research.

Centrism is a political ideology. Centrists and centrist movements can be indecisive and conciliatory on a political level without that being much reflected in how they relate to people on an individual level. Your professor-supervisor is a lazy, lovely, and unethical manager, but describing him as a centrist because of this is strange. It may or may not be related to his political ideology. How do you think Bill and Hillary Clinton deal with their staff?

Basically agree with this. I would say there are on one hand the socially shared narratives (ideology), and on the other the common ways people relate to them (what the narrativist framework seems to be about). Like, a narrativist would be a type of person who has learned to seek out narratives that fill a specific framework for comfort, as well as interact within their communities in certain ways that have identifiable, repeatable dynamics when the community accepts that's the way to do things. But this personality type actually says little about their place on a political spectrum apart from them abhorring conflict-avoidant movements. What says much more are the available fitting (apart from level of compaction) narratives they can find within their societies, that are also socially shared among all kinds of people. And their rise to power depends on sufficient popular support for compaction within movements based on those narratives, those who don't have it when they start really compacting reduce themselves to irrelevant cults.

How to continue from there depends on how narratives actually acquire a socially valid and shared status, and my views are based on a theory that they arise from how groups of people end up perceiving their objective existence after trying to make sense of their common experiences in collective thought by means of animal brains connected by their prevailing form of social organisation including its inherent hierarchies (meaning the process is far from democratic). So I don't believe that a revolution in socially valid narratives is possible without a preceding world-scale alteration of social structures, although the intensities of various narratives that people are comfortable with vary and can be seen in who gets to participate in common discourse.

Who has power and who gets to be a part of the common discourse may well be the direct mechanism through which society changes its narratives, but power isnt an amorphous substance one gets to wield for their purposes, but specific powers reproduced by achieving specific results determined by the organisation of society. Capitalist economic leaders, including leading mass media and social media, need to make their capital grow the biggest. Leading government officials need to grow their economies and diplomatic influence, through military power or otherwise, but always keeping in mind others who will be doing it through military power. Leading bureaucrats need to show results in the tasks they are given, with very limited room for criticism. Leading parliament members need to win elections by playing to the sentiments of both their electorate and their funders. Even though people can wield their power for good, they can only do that if they do their primary job well first, and liberal democracy stays stable by giving no one the power to change the nature of their given powers. So positions of power under existing society have a tendency to limit their wielders' power to speak out regardless of their personality, while giving lackluster opportunities to do concrete good in exchange for a duty to make statistics look better regardless of what it takes. That kind of society produces the kind of disillusioned people that will look at nazis from the sidelines, alternatively thinking that they won't have the power to change anything, or that if they manage to shred the constitution and set their own powers, they might end the prevailing powerlessness and sacrificing groups of people for that would be an acceptable cost.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

Lakoff is great. He's got some books that are a bit more accessible like Don't Think of an Elephant.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Qanon hosed up by reusing an Air Force One photo from the Obama administration, flipping it and trying to pass it off as his.

https://old.reddit.com/r/TopMindsOfReddit/comments/8vzyki/q_fucked_up_big_time_tonight_he_posted_a_photo/

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

hangedman1984 posted:

Omg guys, I am SUCH a huffleclaw!

This thread is for Ravenpuffs only! :frogout:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

From the Trump thread.

So PJ, what happens when someone is able to infiltrate a group's inner narrative and disrupt it in this manner? It seems like Sacha Cohen has been wildly successful in getting far right conservatives to spout some really insane poo poo. I imagine that being lampooned and mocked will do damage to a party that is increasingly relying on a strong man image.

So what happens? Or at least what happens that I might be missing?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phisherman posted:

From the Trump thread.

So PJ, what happens when someone is able to infiltrate a group's inner narrative and disrupt it in this manner? It seems like Sacha Cohen has been wildly successful in getting far right conservatives to spout some really insane poo poo. I imagine that being lampooned and mocked will do damage to a party that is increasingly relying on a strong man image.

So what happens? Or at least what happens that I might be missing?

I've never actually observed a situation like this play out before, I can't think of any equivalent events in my personal experiences. I'm not really sure what to expect here- especially with as intense and amped-up as everything is at the moment.

It will really depend on exactly what Sacha Baron Cohen got them to say and how deeply this winds up sticking in the Trumpstaffels collective craw. I'm hesitant to really take any guesses as to what the impact of this will be until I've had a chance to view more than a few teasers.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
The tweet got deleted is there a copy of tye video elsewhere?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I assume it's this one:

https://twitter.com/mindpivot/status/1018370260846694400

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Mod edit: this post was bad.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ten minutes of the show are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

"Today we're going to teach you how you can stop these naughty men and have them take a long nap."
:shepface:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

i'm dying help

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Are we in Political Satire Land?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Annointed posted:

Are we in Political Satire Land?

lol if you havent already begun marking time by days since escalator day instead of years since the birth of jesus

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
Mod edit: nope

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 16, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
mod edit: sorry folks, had to delete sections that quoted Lord of Booty

Oh my God I needed this. This has made my drat week.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 16, 2018

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Mod edit: nothing to see here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 16, 2018

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tanks also have infantry support to stop anyone from just walking up to it. You clod. You moron. You absolute fool.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
This reminds me of when Trump said we can defeat all the terrorists by "just doing a sneak attack".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

fishmech posted:

This reminds me of when Trump said we can defeat all the terrorists by "just doing a sneak attack".

Except somehow dumber.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Most of the examples of guerilla warfare against armored vehicles involve ambushes from above/behind, i.e. throwing the molotovs onto the top of the tank, firing an RPG from the third floor of a building, etc.

There's even a video from earlier in the Syrian conflict where a group of dudes had basically drawn the MG fire of a T-something while a guy snuck up and rolled a grenade or two down the barrel, and it managed to brew the thing right up, presumably cooking the ammo off inside. YMMV, though.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

How about not discussing guerrilla tactics. I doubt it'll lead anywhere positive and it might get Lowtax a visit from the feds. Lets not and say we didn't.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ice Phisherman posted:

How about not discussing guerrilla tactics. I doubt it'll lead anywhere positive and it might get Lowtax a visit from the feds. Lets not and say we didn't.

This, thanks.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Thanks PPJ. We disagree plenty but you are good people and you're a fair hand at nodding.

While I got your attention any chance I could get the title of this thread changed? I would prefer it be named "Decoding Trumpism: a cult survivor explains how the GOP became a death cult"

Edit: Thanks again PPJ

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 16, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Prester Jane posted:

While I got your attention any chance I could get the title of this thread changed? I would prefer it be named "Decoding Trumpism: a cult survivor explains how the GOP became a death cult"

Done.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So not to get anyone's hopes up just yet, but it looks like the level of narrative dysphoria being generated by the Trump Putin press conference might be enough to cause some sort of narrative collapse in a fairly wide range of GOP elected officials. Cautiously optimistic here... I'm going to be watching this very closely.

Personally I think Ryan and McConnell are colluding with Russia so that Russia interferes in the midterm elections on the gop's behalf. But there are plenty of low-to-moderate compaction Narrativists who seem to be having a genuine come-to-jesus moment as a result of this.

This may just be the start of things turning around here.

(On the other hand, if this isn't the start of things turning around then that implies a whole lot of extremely negative things about the middle term future of these United States.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

(On the other hand, if this isn't the start of things turning around then that implies a whole lot of extremely negative things about the middle term future of these United States.)

The answer may shock you!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I've been thinking lately that since a lot of the GOP initial opposition to Trump had more to do with him blowing the lid off the, how do you say, Inner Narrative than it had to do with his actual politics- I can't help but think Trump's election disrupts the 'frog-boil' fascism that the GOP has been setting up for decades. Like- the Tax Bill fuckin' blows, but it also seemed hastily dumped out there since they weren't counting on having to deal with electoral blowback this quickly, this cycle.

It's not the most optimistic thing- 'all the horrible stuff they're doing is because they're stumbling on a plan change', given that you really don't have to be all that savvy to ruin this country- but it's been in the back of my mind this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

The answer may shock you!

Shits bad, shits really really bad.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanUh...genumber%3D3196

I mean just listen to that loving call. That woman is clearly authentic, that's a native English speaker giving her honest-to-god entitled old white woman's 'pinion. And she flat-out states that Donald Trump won because of Russian interference and thanks Russia.

In my darker moments it occurs to me that if America does go full fash- this thread will be one hell of a treasure trove for future historians trying to figure out what the gently caress happened to America.

• Locked thread