Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Chev posted:

Add spoiler tags. You obviously know how that works since you're using them for the DR part.

Sorry I didn't really think I was spoiling anything but it's been a long time since I've had a new reader's viewpoint, my bad

Though if accidentally spoiling it convinces even one person to not read Umineko I'd consider that a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cheetah7071 posted:

Then the mystery is wildly unsolvable until they just tell you

I dunno about it being unsolvable? Like, I pretty easily figured out the main trick with Shannon and Kanon like into episode 3 (well I had a hunch even earlier than that, it was just the moment I was really like oh yeah this could really be it). It just took going back and rereading stuff from EP 1 where Shannon is talking about Battler and their stuff for me to feel confident enough to be like "oh I guess this is probably it somehow."

Honestly I wasn't really confident in my solution and like I had a lot of details wrong, but I dunno.

e: like I dunno, I just noticed pretty early on there were a lot of conversations between those two and Beatrice that felt kinda off and then some convos between the 2 of them and other house guests felt off as well. and once they reveal the old guy has been dead all along its pretty much like "ok yeah, there is going to turn out to be even less people on the island

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 16, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

Meanwhile Umineko plays up having a solvable mystery and repeatedly tells you that the correct way to engage with the work is to try to solve it. Then the mystery is wildly unsolvable until they just tell you (it's guessable but there's no way to reject a dozen other theories) and the thesis (or one thesis at least) of the final episode is that you're ghoulish for gaining enjoyment out of a tragic situation by trying to solve the mystery.
It is an infinitely more interesting take IMO. Rather than focus on the pure schlock of the murders, which is something I think Danganronpa is extremely guilty of and even Ace Attorney a little bit, Umineko puts a lot more into the heart of the whole situation, and the last sentence of this quote while perhaps I think a bit overly harsh of a way to look at it is part of why I think it works. It's a moving of the goalposts in the narrative but in such a way that it's able to re-contextualize everything that has been happening since the beginning and makes it carry a lot more weight. It's an inverse on some of the elements Ryukishi07 likes to put in his works and that was super neat to me.

The individual episode-by-episode mysteries are also more interesting, though much of that sadly is perhaps more of a community aspect, people had so much time in between releases to try to suss everything out. Pretty much every theory under the sun got trialed-by-fire and thus there was not much "doubt" left when they really started beating you over the head with it. But now, since all of the chapters are just out there, people can't really have that sort of experience anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My claim that the mystery is guessable but not solvable comes from having read it as it came out and seeing everybody working together fail to come to a consensus on the answer. The right solution was floating around as one of many plausible theories. I mean I guess it would have sucked if the discussion had died once someone figured it out but on the other hand that's what being solvable means

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite twists are all in Ace Attorney

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyway I'm not really that much of a fan of DR either. The first one worked because it was new and fresh but once it lost its novelty it sucked outside of specific mysteries. That's why I like the V3 ending, because it's a piece of media turning to the camera and saying "yeah this sucked and we probably shouldn't have made it"

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, Umineko isn't fair about giving you enough clues to solidly support one explanation above others, and that's the point the story makes, although it's kinda defeated by some interviews where the writer gives definite explanations that couldn't be deduced from the given informations alone, like how a gun missing on a crime scene was tied to a weight and fell behind some furniture, with none of that mentioned in-game. If it's supposed to stay fuzzy don't give it away.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
One thing I liked in Umineko was the fantasy side of things would serve as hints too. Like when Gaap showed up I was like "oh this is definitely the type of character a servant would create to serve the same role as a gremlin" and yeah it was exactly that.

cheetah7071 posted:

My claim that the mystery is guessable but not solvable comes from having read it as it came out and seeing everybody working together fail to come to a consensus on the answer. The right solution was floating around as one of many plausible theories. I mean I guess it would have sucked if the discussion had died once someone figured it out but on the other hand that's what being solvable means

I guess i get that, but I can't help but feel like if you took away the message in the bottle at the end of Then There Were None you could also get to people never really arriving a consensus together. But this doesn't really feel completely equivocal of course because... that book is incredibly short and its kinda different when you have something that long running that is really really throwing in your face how its solvable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only real thing that I look back on Umineko and wonder WTF was RK07 going for is the golden truth. It's used twice IIRC and what it actually means is giantshrugemoji.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

The only real thing that I look back on Umineko and wonder WTF was RK07 going for is the golden truth. It's used twice IIRC and what it actually means is giantshrugemoji.

It means this is one of the rules that any valid Rokkenjima mystery variant has to follow to be legit

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

A friend of mine brought Her Story to a gettogether where we threw it up on a projector and yelled search terms at each other. We accidentally broke the narrative when the person at the keyboard hit enter with a blank search box, which brings up a bunch of the early clips which drop clues critical to the plot. After that, the mystery unravelled very, very quickly for us.

Still a great game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The best twist in gaming is Baten Kaitos

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Ooh yeah that one is good

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Rainbow Six Seige started autobanning anyone who types a slur in chat and the results are pretty magical

https://twitter.com/honkifyourgay/status/1018889934034391041?s=19

That snip is taken from this article

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

I feel LA Noire would have been better if it came out nowadays (2K's insistence on online multiplayer aside) because I get the feeling that it wouldn't be forced to have shooting segments and would be allowed to just be a straight adventure game.

I got super loving mad at LA Noire when it was clear to me that none of the suspects was the criminal, but there was no option to tell anyone that and the game forced me to put one of them away anyway and then later the twist was you convicted an innocent person!.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I skip into the craziness in Her Story pretty quickly because one search in I was like"Oh she has a tattoo in this video but in nearly every other one its covered by sleeves, what is a good trick that could use this" and typed in "twins"

That was probably the smartest a game has ever made me feel. Honestly most mystery games are me just flubbing around forgetting details and being an idiot.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Rainbow Six Seige started autobanning anyone who types a slur in chat and the results are pretty magical

A good nickname for Raccoons is "wash mouse".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

doingitwrong posted:

What happened to "trash panda"?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
waschbär

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

doingitwrong posted:

In Swedish they're called "wash bears"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I shouldn't have hovered over that Her Story spoiler, I had been meaning to play it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

I got super loving mad at LA Noire when it was clear to me that none of the suspects was the criminal, but there was no option to tell anyone that and the game forced me to put one of them away anyway and then later the twist was you convicted an innocent person!.

It's a noir

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mak0rz posted:

That's what they're called in most languages I'm aware of, "raccoon" is the odd man out and I think originates from some Native American language or other.

It's from the way they "wash" their food with their paws.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I shouldn't have hovered over that Her Story spoiler, I had been meaning to play it

Due to the nature of the game you can get the main twist on the first search you make, IIRC searching for "her story" brings it up immediately for example. That game's more about getting to know the people involved and what exactly it was that led to the incident.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was a trip seeing raccoons in the Taipei zoo when I would routinely see them in my parents' backyard

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah my favorite stuff in Her Story is like, all the fairy tale symbolism stuff instead of like, the actual mechanics of the mystery. There is still plenty of neat stuff to discover.

Anyway who do I have to beat up to somehow get a sequel to Contradiction. I know its never going to happened but I love that game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also Cole Phelps is an rear end in a top hat.

Kanfy posted:

Due to the nature of the game you can get the main twist on the first search you make, IIRC searching for "her story" brings it up immediately for example. That game's more about getting to know the people involved and what exactly it was that led to the incident.
Yeah, I got the whodunnit part of the game really early on, the how and why became more of the driving force. Though I actually didn't stumble upon the whole twins revelation until towards the end.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Anyway who do I have to beat up to somehow get a sequel to Contradiction. I know its never going to happened but I love that game.
I will continue to periodically cry out in to the void for Tim Follin to make a sequel until he does.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 16, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Speaking of FMV: I bought an FMV game on sale ~a year ago or something. The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekkar. Has anyone played it? Should I actually set aside some time for it, or let it dwindle in my 4,000 game backlog? I keep forgetting about it and I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about it. Apparently it holds the Guinness World Record for most FMV in a game.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Oh! That's a superior moniker to my translation of the French "raton laveur".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Accordion Man posted:

Also Cole Phelps is an rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VXMjO14oc

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Saint Freak posted:

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekkar

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ometeotl posted:

That's probably the best twist on a GameCube game, yeah. Though the game your Avatar is based off of (Ghost Trick) also has a couple of solid twists.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIom9QlbRI

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the omnibus podcast with ken jennings and john kensfriend just covered washing bears. also omnibus is good if you are looking for a good podcast

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the best twist in games is when you beat the special world in smw and it twists the palette of the whole game and it twists some of the enemy sprites too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

b_d posted:

the best twist in games is when you beat the special world in smw and it twists the palette of the whole game and it twists some of the enemy sprites too.

One of my favorite things regarding that is Dan's reaction to seeing that for the first time ever on Game Grumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1Lm7Y6m3w&t=209s

(3:29-3:57)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not sure how many of these count as "twists" or are just tonal changes, but I enjoyed them

In New Vegas, finding out that, out of all factions, Arcade was an ex-Enclave is a pretty good swerve.

The entirety of Xenogears is a big twist made of other smaller twists but I love the one where you're in a food manufacturer, starting from when they're already packaged(And both Fei and Elly eat quite a bit) going backwards untilyou get Soylent Green'd

Not so much of a twist but more of a Rule Lawyering that I always enjoy: In Darksiders, War is bound to the Charred Council and their Watcher until his death as a punishment for exterminating humanity by triggering the Apocalypse too early;as the game progresses, however, you come to learn that a rebel Archangel orchestrated it and let War take the fall, and that one of the last triggers to summon the Four Horsemen, the Seven Seals, wasn't broken. Thus, after the final battle War is felled and his contract is fulfilled. Then an Angel breaks the Seventh Seal, summoning him back(and the other 3 to boot). Now he's free to go wild on the Watcher :unsmigghh:

Dragon's Dogma true ending involving killing yourself to break the cycle of rebirth of the dragon and the arisen

The first time you attack an NPC from Young Town in Anodyne

Scarlet from Alpha Protocolbeing the assassin from China the entire time, and also feeding all the info you gave her back to Leland.

Brutal Legend being an RTS :v:

Orsted chapter in Live a Live is probably my favorite.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Samuringa posted:

Scarlet from Alpha Protocolbeing the assassin from China the entire time, and also feeding all the info you gave her back to Leland.

Oh! I've been trying to think about twists i like and you just reminded me of everything involving Omen Deng which is so good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you want a pretty good book with meta commentary about murder mysteries, check out Magpie Murders. It's not as "gently caress you for enjoying solving murders" as v3 or umineko but it's sorta in the same vein.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I wish this worked in Overwatch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh! I've been trying to think about twists i like and you just reminded me of everything involving Omen Deng which is so good.

Oh man yeah that was real good. Alpha Protocol rips, if they hadn't felt the need to shoehorn in combat it would have been a sweet Telltale-style game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think I have like told 5 people about that twist because everyone just immediately kills them it seems.

WELL I DIDN'T, CAUSE I ALWAYS KINDA LIKED THEM.

• Locked thread