Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

It also has great maneuverability for those sick torpedo beat montages. :corsair:

One time when the Fubuki was still t8 I dodged its entire load at less than 2km with a Warspite. I bet he was pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Loky11 posted:

So I spent the last 3 days turbo grinding the Gearing legendary upgrade for the 5.6 concealment, mostly for CW...

brutal
What was brutal about it?

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
The final bit, 40K base XP. You're already hating the boat and now have to play 35 or so games to get the final bit.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Loky11 posted:

The final bit, 40K base XP. You're already hating the boat and now have to play 35 or so games to get the final bit.
Did you run fletcher torps? I'm trying to make them work but its hard with all the radar.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

cheese posted:

Did you run fletcher torps? I'm trying to make them work but its hard with all the radar.

Yeah, for randoms, Fletcher torps are the way to go. Quick reload is a bigger advantage over range, since it's a hybrid DD and leans gunboat. When AR kicks in, it gets nasty.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Did my first operation yesterday after getting the Cleveland (and of course it had swapped from cherry blossom to aegis, good thing I have my Pensacola!)

Five starred it with the escape ships barely taking any damage and we only lost ships doing dumb things smartly (I think.) I died going after the Ryujo carrier that spawned closest to the NE spawn of ships but I took it's first full salvo of torps and dive bombers before I got chewed to pieces.

So hooray for a free day of premium and my first ten point captain :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Der Shovel posted:

So, the Warspite is 50% off today as part of the summer sale. Is the bote any good at all? For 12 euros I think she's worth a punt.

Also, historically, would there be any chance of us seeing discounts for tech tree ships? I have a bunch of doubloons burning a hole in my pocket and before I buy an Atlanta or something I'm wondering if I should wait for a possible sale.

The Warspite is good, but it's a T6 battleship and unless you are a masochist you will never want to play it because the matchmaking is so rear end. Handy to have if T6 ranked rolls around again though.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Daily reminder that in a better world the 'Plays Poorly' report would eventually ban players

Those were our only two dd's in a t9 game, by the way.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

Daily reminder that in a better world the 'Plays Poorly' report would eventually ban players

Terrible player, 6.2% torp hit rate isn't GREAT but its not like glue stick eating bad. To get only 16k damage a game, they must just be rushing into a cap and dying at the start of most rounds.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Those were our only two dd's in a t9 game, by the way.
This has to be a bot, sub 2% torp hit rate is impossible unless you actively shoot at things outside of your torps range.

New damage record for me. I know its not that amazing but I just really, really love this ship. Yueyang is capable of having great games with just its gun (I've had 100k+ wins without torp hits) and capable of having great games with just its torps - whenever you manage to do both, the sky is the limit.

Shout out to the Henri IV team mate. We communicated in chat and won when it was just us against 5 enemy ships. He went bow in to a cap fight against a Mino and Zao and somehow just absolutely wrecked them both.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
It helps that Henris overmatch Minos

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Have they said if there will be Space Camos for other tier X ships?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Premium or not, there's no way the Massachusetts is not going to get nerfed. If you can isolate them in range of your secondaries it is just an automatic "I win" against any equal tier or any two lower tier ships.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

So far, (luckily) every chewie i've played against has been of the mouth-breathing variety, sitting at max range and doing nothing. Divved up with a bloke who has a 19pnt cap on one over the weekend and actually knows what he's doing... sweet jesus, the consistent damage that ship can knock out is terrifying. I dont want to spend $100 on this game, the only time i throw money at this thing is for xmas crates but god drat is it tempting.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

Premium or not, there's no way the Massachusetts is not going to get nerfed. If you can isolate them in range of your secondaries it is just an automatic "I win" against any equal tier or any two lower tier ships.
I wouldn't be surprised if the innate accuracy buff of its secondaries is toned down a little. I had an Edinburgh game earlier where I pushed out from behind an island at 8km to torp a Mass and even with its mains guns turned the other way, I was eating like 1500-3k damage what felt like every few seconds. I think I must have taken about 20k damage in as many seconds, and that is with extinguishing an early double fire.

cheese fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 17, 2018

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DonkeyHotay posted:

i really doubt it, as the secondary playstyle ships are also victims to an HE or DD heavy meta. Masses getting in to range to use secondaries is also getting into range of being easily torped by most DDs, and in the "REALLY SCARY" zone of getting assblastered by an Asashio.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Is the Worcester any good? I'm kinda tempted to ragesell my Cleveland because every time I play it I remember the old Cleve and feel sad, bad and mad.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The rooster is a fine ship. FreeXP the Seattle because it is an immense amount of arse.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

DonkeyHotay posted:

Nah, at tier 8 you see too many tier 10 games to really have that much of a global impact and even pubbies will start to understand the innate weakness of the Massa over time. You have to give up a lot for the secondary build, which is also the only viable build for this ship.

You can get HE spammed to death rather easily and you don't have the extra 4 points for fire prevention, the ship only works thanks to the 50% heal. And while the fire rate of the 5" guns is fantastic, they don't do that much against certain targets:

They never nerf premiums, since it would ruin their business model. In a worst case scenario the Massa is removed from the store and becomes a Xmas/Super container exclusive, like the Gremy, Kamikaze, Nikolai and so on....but I doubt it, the ship is not in the same league as the aforementioned.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 17, 2018

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

They also seem to be using it as part of a big push for people to get back in to the game. I've got an ancient barely played on SEA account, recently got an e-mail offer of 7day Massa rental, 8mil credits, supercontainer, camos, flags and 100k fxp.

Giving out broken ships is part of their business model, hell, it worked on me when they dropped a Giulio Cesare into my NA account a year back.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
gently caress it, I sold my Cleveland. T8 matchmaking is a miserable nightmare for a low range unarmored cruiser and I'd rather spend my free xp on a Nelson than a Woooooster. At least now I have the credits to fully outfit my Roon, a ship that doesn't explode when someone looks at it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

bloom posted:

gently caress it, I sold my Cleveland. T8 matchmaking is a miserable nightmare for a low range unarmored cruiser and I'd rather spend my free xp on a Nelson than a Woooooster. At least now I have the credits to fully outfit my Roon, a ship that doesn't explode when someone looks at it.

I did like 60% of the grind doing the cherry blossom missions. I still have some grind to go, but I will only play it divving up with a DD, I think.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

bloom posted:

You hug the island. You hug the island like they are your waifu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3x0aeoPhc&t=32s

Applies to all USN CLs really.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

bloom posted:

Is the Worcester any good? I'm kinda tempted to ragesell my Cleveland because every time I play it I remember the old Cleve and feel sad, bad and mad.
Its quite good. I've been outplayed by them at close range a couple of times in my Zao now. Once you get to within like 10km they will land basically all of their shots on you and the HE damage is pretty insane.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
EU is having a summer sale again, but this year they've changed the rules so that if you already own the ship you only get the sale value in doubloons. I guess in some ways that's good, because it completely frees me of any impulse to spend any money.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I wish warbotes, much like its chief competitor, had a high realism version of the game. Of course, you’d have to completely remove consumables, fully model the ships, and teach people that 2/3rds of the 2 hour long matches were maneuvering for position is fun.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish WT didn't require you to research basic poo poo like damage control parties and AP ammo because if they changed that I'd be so ready to switch over to Gaijin.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

bloom posted:

I wish WT didn't require you to research basic poo poo like damage control parties and AP ammo because if they changed that I'd be so ready to switch over to Gaijin.

WT's grind is absolutely mind fuckingly horrible once you get to the high tier stuff. Talking having to play potentially dozens of games just so you can put out fires and repair your loving tracks on a T-64. Imagine if there was a 10k XP module in WoWs that was required for you to put out floods and if you ever ate a flood before you had it unlocked, it was just a guaranteed death.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As I understand it (with the acknowledgement it is still in beta), at least some of the WT naval stuff is also hilariously unbalanced, with boats like some AA barge massacring everything in its tier bracket. And yes, hell grinds to nonsensically research basic poo poo like putting out fire/flooding so it isn't a guaranteed kill on you.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

As I understand it (with the acknowledgement it is still in beta), at least some of the WT naval stuff is also hilariously unbalanced, with boats like some AA barge massacring everything in its tier bracket. And yes, hell grinds to nonsensically research basic poo poo like putting out fire/flooding so it isn't a guaranteed kill on you.

That sounds a lot like the tank mode, sounds like they never learned.
AA trucks in low tier tank mode pretty much just annihilate anything they point at too, so it's probably going to stay.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I don't understand the appeal of WT botes at all. It's like the least engaging gameplay I've ever seen in my life, it looks awful (some of the models are good, but the lighting and texture mapping are legit early 2000's quality), and for a game that supposedly hangs it hat on "realism" it has questionable features like nonstop spawn camping, and a tiny raft with a bunch of AA flak guns obliterating everything it sees.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

toadee posted:

You hug the island. You hug the island like they are your waifu.

This. The main problem I have in my Cleveland in tier 10 matches at the moment is that it's only got the captain that came with it so my captain skills are woefully behind on where they should be. I fully kitted it out with modules though and I can hunt DD's (10.6 km detection range + 9km radar = HOUND DAWG), punish other light cruisers (got into knife fighting range with an Edinburgh on a cap and shot his citadel to pieces) and rain fire down on everything from behind cover with the only problem being shatters against BB superstructures.

I learned a bunch watching the replay's Jingles put out and slow grinding through the Pheonix/Omaha cemented those lessons in US CL's.

I also got decent at dodging fire for when I have to turn tail and run away :shepface:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

toadee posted:

I don't understand the appeal of WT botes at all. It's like the least engaging gameplay I've ever seen in my life, it looks awful (some of the models are good, but the lighting and texture mapping are legit early 2000's quality), and for a game that supposedly hangs it hat on "realism" it has questionable features like nonstop spawn camping, and a tiny raft with a bunch of AA flak guns obliterating everything it sees.

whose to say that a bunch of flak guns wouldn't gently caress up a PT boat :colbert:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

toadee posted:

Lets be honest, a 20mm flak gun would probably gently caress up a PT boat, and that little boat has a ton of them. But yeah, WT boats looks pretty to watch, but I can sense the horrible mechanics underneath just ready to strike. And the grind. OH THE GRIND

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Lets be honest, a 20mm flak gun would probably gently caress up a PT boat, and that little boat has a ton of them. But yeah, WT boats looks pretty to watch, but I can sense the horrible mechanics underneath just ready to strike. And the grind. OH THE GRIND

Can someone explain why it looks pretty to watch? I feel like Im living in bizarro world. The game looks worse to me than some titles from 10 years ago. It certainly looks worse than World of Warships does, to me at least. What is it that looks good to people?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

The insane thing is that from the very earliest WT had giant combined arms maps that they have never managed to tie into a compelling multi mode. Tank RB (with planes) is still on a tiny scale, and it looks like boats isn't going to change that either.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
What exactly is this other game people are referencing? WT?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Yes. War Thunder.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

cheese posted:

WT's grind is absolutely mind fuckingly horrible once you get to the high tier stuff. Talking having to play potentially dozens of games just so you can put out fires and repair your loving tracks on a T-64. Imagine if there was a 10k XP module in WoWs that was required for you to put out floods and if you ever ate a flood before you had it unlocked, it was just a guaranteed death.

Yeah, the grind combined with spawn camping and balance issues was what drove me away from WT tanks back in the day. It's a shame to see they apparently haven't made any effort to improve on those things in the years since.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bloom posted:

Yeah, the grind combined with spawn camping and balance issues was what drove me away from WT tanks back in the day. It's a shame to see they apparently haven't made any effort to improve on those things in the years since.

Yeah, I can't stand WoT's diceroll type stuff but WT seems to be too focused on shoehorning stuff into an existing BR scale, based largely on when something was designed, without adjusting anything else so you end up with something like the Sherman line being stupidly good at tier but outmatched drastically (by the soviets mainly, less so by the nazis) when uptiered because almost no design bureau would design an inferior tank in response to one that shithoused their current arsenal.

The exception is of course the nazis because they kept building crippling flaws into their tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I know I shouldn't be letting premium time going to waste, but I can't bring myself to play this because I'm in a good mood and I don't want this to poo poo on it.