Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Digirat posted:

I’m always a fan of less time spent in menus so I think 3 was an improvement.

Holy poo poo, Witcher 3 had LESS time spent in menus? God drat. Menu navigation time was one of my biggest complaints with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TW3 should have taken a page from Vanquish and replaced meditation with a smoke break.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The biggest disappointment with both Far Cry 5 and Outlast 2 was neither game went whole hog nutso and had the rapture actually happen. I wanted desperately for the last quarter of Far Cry 5 to turn into anti-Doom where you gun down angels as they try and smite all you "sinners".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Drunken Baker posted:

The biggest disappointment with both Far Cry 5 and Outlast 2 was neither game went whole hog nutso and had the rapture actually happen. I wanted desperately for the last quarter of Far Cry 5 to turn into anti-Doom where you gun down angels as they try and smite all you "sinners".

Far Cry 5 never had the cult think a rapture was going to occur - the cult was preparing for the Collapse, nothing biblical. And, well, that definitely did occur. Whether or not the cult would've been led to the promised land afterwards is unknown, as you hosed it all up for them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

My problem with both Outlast games had nothing to do with being properly frightened or freaked out. Just, at a point, it might have been FUN to occasionally fight back. An entire game of RUNNING and HIDING is not fun.

Give me a bottle to smash on a bitch or a coat hanger to jam in an eye - Jamie Lee Curtis style. At least give the player the ILLUSION of fighting back, even if it's only to buy time. Alien: Isolation was good at this.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hollow Knight is a game with an enormous amount of content. Absolutely huge world, tons of enemies and secret areas and lots of nice things to discover.

Which makes it strange that 2/3 endings are basically locked behind a long, boring and unfulfilling fetch quest.

Essentially, in order to unlock an item you need for two of the game's endings, you need to collect "Essence". You do this by beating some mini-bosses in the world map, fighting bosses you've already fought again but they just turn their damage and health up (gently caress off) and by... hitting trees and collecting the magic that comes out. Oh, and enemies have something like a 1% chance of dropping some Essence. You need to get your Essence up to 1800 to basically unlock a new area in the game, along with a new final boss.

My question is: why? Looking up the wiki to see where a ghost is on the map and then travelling five minutes there for a boring miniboss and getting 1/16th of the way to the final goal loving sucks. It sucks even more trekking all the way to a boss you've already beaten to fight them again with their damage and HP doubled. Getting your Essence up to 1800 is not satisfying - it's a long and boring fetch quest in a game bursting with content. It feels like they came up with a mechanic/idea they liked (Essence is basically dreams, so you collects dreams) they fit the story but then completely failed to come up with anything neat to do with it.

I would maybe care a bit more if the story grabbed me more. I don't want to be mean to Hollow Knight here because it's a game I really do enjoy, but the Soulsbourne influence in the game (especially the story) is painful. Half the characters in the game just cryptically speak in half sentences and don't ever finish a coherent thought or sentence. According to the game counter I'm 80% through the game and the apparent big bad guy that's pulling the strings and influencing the entire world and story was mentioned once by a mushroom 25 hours in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really wanted to like Hollow Knight but it just felt so boring to me I never felt like going back to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BiggerBoat posted:

My problem with both Outlast games had nothing to do with being properly frightened or freaked out. Just, at a point, it might have been FUN to occasionally fight back. An entire game of RUNNING and HIDING is not fun.

Give me a bottle to smash on a bitch or a coat hanger to jam in an eye - Jamie Lee Curtis style. At least give the player the ILLUSION of fighting back, even if it's only to buy time. Alien: Isolation was good at this.

This is precisely why Prey is so good, in my opinion - you want to sneak, sneaking preserves your resources and also often saves your life, but if you want, you can engage with the aliens and fight back. (And then you get far enough into the game that you have a ton of hoarded resources...and then the game continues to be good because it's genuinely fun to fight those aliens and blitz around.)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is precisely why Prey is so good, in my opinion - you want to sneak, sneaking preserves your resources and also often saves your life, but if you want, you can engage with the aliens and fight back. (And then you get far enough into the game that you have a ton of hoarded resources...and then the game continues to be good because it's genuinely fun to fight those aliens and blitz around.)
The moment you finish upgrading your shotgun and leveling the bullettime thing is the moment that changes who the prey is in that game

Which drags down the oppressive feel of the game, but the latter half of it has far more problems than just that, like those loving robits

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's an entirely different kind of survival horror, more tied to Clock Tower than Resident Evil

Calico Heart posted:

Hollow Knight is a game with an enormous amount of content. Absolutely huge world, tons of enemies and secret areas and lots of nice things to discover.

Which makes it strange that 2/3 endings are basically locked behind a long, boring and unfulfilling fetch quest.

Essentially, in order to unlock an item you need for two of the game's endings, you need to collect "Essence". You do this by beating some mini-bosses in the world map, fighting bosses you've already fought again but they just turn their damage and health up (gently caress off) and by... hitting trees and collecting the magic that comes out. Oh, and enemies have something like a 1% chance of dropping some Essence. You need to get your Essence up to 1800 to basically unlock a new area in the game, along with a new final boss.

My question is: why? Looking up the wiki to see where a ghost is on the map and then travelling five minutes there for a boring miniboss and getting 1/16th of the way to the final goal loving sucks. It sucks even more trekking all the way to a boss you've already beaten to fight them again with their damage and HP doubled. Getting your Essence up to 1800 is not satisfying - it's a long and boring fetch quest in a game bursting with content. It feels like they came up with a mechanic/idea they liked (Essence is basically dreams, so you collects dreams) they fit the story but then completely failed to come up with anything neat to do with it.

I would maybe care a bit more if the story grabbed me more. I don't want to be mean to Hollow Knight here because it's a game I really do enjoy, but the Soulsbourne influence in the game (especially the story) is painful. Half the characters in the game just cryptically speak in half sentences and don't ever finish a coherent thought or sentence. According to the game counter I'm 80% through the game and the apparent big bad guy that's pulling the strings and influencing the entire world and story was mentioned once by a mushroom 25 hours in.

The remixed bosses are more than just the same thing with more HP and the bosses are one of the best parts of an already good game. If you're not enjoying it just do the normal ending? Or drop it, there's no reason to get to 80% of completion in a game you didn't like.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

It's an entirely different kind of survival horror, more tied to Clock Tower than Resident Evil

I get that and I loved it for a while. The atmosphere and chills were great. It just got old after a while. Even the early Silent Hill games let you fight back a little. Good to hear some of the feedback on Prey because that's next in my wheelhouse.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I said I liked the game, dude! That’s why I wanna see as much of it as possible, it’s just I don’t like the gate too much. Also while the bosses started off really strong I think they get progressively weaker.

Traitor Lord is just four moves in a cramped space with loads of HP, watcher knights were like, two moves with the same enemy cut and pasted?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Calico Heart posted:

I think you will find video gaming a lot more satisfying once you find out you can youtube the alternate endings to games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That is absolute wisdom. Like hell was I going to do the leg work for the DDLC true ending.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Calico Heart posted:

I said I liked the game, dude! That’s why I wanna see as much of it as possible, it’s just I don’t like the gate too much. Also while the bosses started off really strong I think they get progressively weaker.

Traitor Lord is just four moves in a cramped space with loads of HP, watcher knights were like, two moves with the same enemy cut and pasted?

My bad if I came out aggressive in that post, it's just that there is always someone posting about how much they're hating getting to % completion of a game and every time I ask myself "Why keep playing it then?"

I don't remember having to dig too much to get all the Essence for the True Ending, you only have to bother with the more rewarding bosses as the pittance 1 or 10 Essence you get from random souls isn't worth it. The Wizard Bug was the only one that I kinda forgot about.

You should ask someone for a Charm recommendation before going into the place you go after getting all the Essence tho, that's definitely going to sour you a bit.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Calico Heart posted:

Watcher knight is three moves, all of which synergize when the player is facing two at a time so that they're predictable and avoidable while still punishing. Anything more complex would have been hellishly unfun but as their current movesets stands, the challenge is just right

It's actually a really well designed boss imo, just beat them last night

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I missed the PS2 generation completely so I'm playing some mascot platformers to see what I missed. Already talked itt how I abandoned Jak 2 after seeing how numetal it got and now I'm playing through Sly trilogy.

It's weird because Sly 1 was just a mediocre platformer with some funny characters and good theme. Nothing more, nothing less. Sly 2 on the other hand was often on the verge of being great, even brilliant at times. The sorta-open world worked, moving from linear levels to missions was a great idea. Even the story was fun.

And now I'm at Sly 3 and it's mediocre again. The levels are smaller and way less interesting. The missions are just tedious for the most part and the story is just kinda there. The good dialogue is the only thing that's left from Sly 2, pretty much. Such a weird series.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don't play Sly 4.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is it that bad?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm really enjoying battle brothers, but hot drat does it suck when I get 3 20+ day dudes wearing hats around a brigand thug with a mace, whiff 6 70+ percent chances, whiff a pike stab, then watch the guy drop two of my dudes on his turn. Ironman mode is the only way to play.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I don't remember having to dig too much to get all the Essence for the True Ending, you only have to bother with the more rewarding bosses as the pittance 1 or 10 Essence you get from random souls isn't worth it. The Wizard Bug was the only one that I kinda forgot about.

I feel like there's some luck involved in coincidentally picking a route through the game that leads you to all of the various sources of essence in a convenient order. I'm doing a second playthrough right now where I happened to run into all of the essence I needed without having to go out of my way to seek out of any of it, but it could've gone very differently and required a bunch of backtracking to get things I'd missed.

The game is in general hugely open-ended and you can tackle things in a vastly different order, which is naturally going to lead to some unfortunate players finding a way to do things that's actually really inconvenient.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Honestly, the combat in Witcher 3 is great if you pay attention, and you always have a bunch of different options on how to kill poo poo - most of which you can learn by looking at the bestiary.

Right. So MORE sub menus. I swear to God I spent more time in that game looking at the mini map, the menus, futzing with my stupid inventory and watching narrative scenes than I did really playing it. It was gorgeous to look at rather compelling but I think it'd make a better movie than a game.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I finally got proper internet after moving and got back into Final Fantasy XIV, and I want to complain about the glamour system. You can make any piece of gear look like another piece of gear of the same body slot, which sounds great in theory, but has a lot of really annoying and imo pointless restrictions.

First of all, they're class locked, which almost makes sense, since you wouldn't want other players to get confused about what class you are, but the fact that each class has a fairly distinct weapon and the classes are shown in the hud and the fact that there are items made just for glamour that can be used by any class kinda shoot argument in the foot. Second, and imo much more galling, they're level locked. You can't make a piece of gear look like a higher level piece of gear. This would almost make sense if it changed how it looked in the menu or anything like that, but it doesn't.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jul 16, 2018

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

kazil posted:

I think you will find video gaming a lot more satisfying once you find out you can youtube the alternate endings to games.

I don't wanna just see a five second cutscene, I want to actually fight the boss and experience the content.

% completion never meant anything to me, neither did achievements. Honestly never saw the appeal because I don't know who you show those off to?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Calico Heart posted:

I want to actually fight the boss and experience the content.

Your posting seems to contradict this statement.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

kazil posted:

Your posting seems to contradict this statement.

Brother wants to experience fighting the ultimate form true ending last boss, not experience runnin around

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
You cannot convince the Puzzle Quest AI isn't cheating.

You matched a random group of three in the bottom left column, and this starts a cascade of six extra turns and eighty damage being inflicted. Don't lie, Hairy Spider, you know exactly what new gems are dropping in. :argh:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

BiggerBoat posted:

Right. So MORE sub menus. I swear to God I spent more time in that game looking at the mini map, the menus, futzing with my stupid inventory and watching narrative scenes than I did really playing it. It was gorgeous to look at rather compelling but I think it'd make a better movie than a game.

And you people made fun of me for having the Witcher 3 official guide book :smuggo:

Combat was easy as gently caress for me. Despite the stupid dances I mowed down everything in sight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

You didn't have to rely on potions or mutagens, but it also sounds like you relied on Quen a lot. I find that this is a common complaint, when the response is usually "Use all the tools available to you, not just quen, and battles go a lot quicker."

That doesn't work out too well when you only have like two grenades of every type, it takes like three inventory menus to deal with your equipment and most enemies have so much health unless you're fighting something dramatically lower level than you, at which point doing anything but smacking it with your sword is pointless, that no matter what you do it's like throwing bread crumbs at a brick wall and hoping it'll break. This game's level scaling is hosed near as bad as dragon's dogma. But at least in dragon's dogma the combat didn't feel like a miserable slog every time I got into a fight.

The problem with "using all the tools available" is that most of them just straight up suck unless you invest a ton of points into them, in which case now everything else sucks. Shield? Cool it breaks after one hit. Axii? It's like a single free hit, unless the enemy is more than like three levels higher than you in which case it doesn't do poo poo. The stun wave thing? Again, it only really works on things your level or weaker, otherwise it just knocks them back and your animation is so slow that by the time you finish posing, they've recovered. I've mentioned how poo poo the ghost hitting skill is before because it's just too small. The only really good sign is Igni, and that's because once you get a few action points you can blast an enemy and nearly anything in the game will be stunned for several seconds and take massive damage while you hit their buddies with a sword.

Items like grenades and potions are way too limited, and having to meditate after every fight is a pain in the rear end. Oils are a cool idea, but having to stop every five seconds, open my menu and reapply it is again a massive pain in the rear end. Just for like, maybe 100 more damage while I slowly whittle down some huge healthbar, not that it matters much because one you have something pinned in a corner nothing can really fight back no matter how long it takes to actually drain their HP. Decoctions are a nice idea, but they seem woefully pointless in practice. Either they're designed so you have to get into a fight for a long rear end time to accumulate more damage, have a weirdly specific effect like getting to cast better signs on cloudy days or they give you more health. Health is absolutely redundant in this game due to how the level scaling works. Either things are level ?? and instantly kill me, or they're not and do at best a fourth of my HP per hit if they hit. But due to how easy the dodge roll is and how far and fast geralt rolls, a near infinite supply of chuggable chicken wings and the ability to just roll around until fully healed, there's no danger of ever being killed by something that isn't instantly killing me.

I struggle to see anything redeeming about the combat in this game. Even the variety of attacks is weird and frustrating because they decided to make the PC command for strong attacks some bewildering combination of shift and forward while attacking that I only managed to pull off like twice during the tutorial and never again since.

Safeword posted:

You matched a random group of three in the bottom left column, and this starts a cascade of six extra turns and eighty damage being inflicted. Don't lie, Hairy Spider, you know exactly what new gems are dropping in. :argh:

I love and hate puzzle quest. The developers insist their AI doesn't cheat, and that they were just as angry as players were while testing the game at how bullshit the game could be. Also; if you're playing on PC there's a mod to add in the expansion content that the PC version never got. Which is a thing that drags it down, because I loved puzzle quest and not getting the expansion sucked.

Also; the mobile game style sort of sequel just didn't sit the same with me. Gems of War or whatever it was called? Every time I played it I wound up just reinstalling puzzle quest because too much of it just felt frustrating to deal with.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jul 17, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I do agree that the end game backtracking in Hollow Knight gets tiresome quick, this mostly has to do with how spread out the fast travel spots are. You're gonna be doing some serious trekking if you have more than 3 locations you're planning on hitting up for your next immediate objective. And yeah at that point in the game you have at least 16 different places to hit in order to collect missing essence/grubs/pins/etc

Not to mention the running back and from the various shopkeepers/upgrade stations

It's almost a perfect game so I forgive it I guess

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jesus Christ Danganronpa I like you but you have the same problem as Phoenix Wright in that I don't know what you want from me.

Danganronpa 2 case 3 There's a part where you have to play a rhythm game and then piece together the final clue at the end of it. This ones final clue is apparently "theater bonus prize" and not "bonus theater prize" gently caress you game.

Hangman Gambits are garbage too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Terminally Bored posted:

I missed the PS2 generation completely so I'm playing some mascot platformers to see what I missed. Already talked itt how I abandoned Jak 2 after seeing how numetal it got and now I'm playing through Sly trilogy.

It's weird because Sly 1 was just a mediocre platformer with some funny characters and good theme. Nothing more, nothing less. Sly 2 on the other hand was often on the verge of being great, even brilliant at times. The sorta-open world worked, moving from linear levels to missions was a great idea. Even the story was fun.

And now I'm at Sly 3 and it's mediocre again. The levels are smaller and way less interesting. The missions are just tedious for the most part and the story is just kinda there. The good dialogue is the only thing that's left from Sly 2, pretty much. Such a weird series.

I remember liking the way that the Sly series was one of the few major 3D platformer franchises (that weren't Mario) of the sixth generation that didn't either fall off into obscurity (Crash, Spyro, Rare's games) or morph into an action shooter game rather than a platformer (Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter) but cultivated a fairly unique niche as kid's first stealth games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Safeword posted:

The argument against the cheating ai has always been the same: it would be waaaay too much work for absolutely no payoff on the developers end. Like, sure they could code the ai to percieve patterns that would allow it to deduce what combos would be executed if it matches these gems just so, but...why?

It always comes to confirmation bias: you're getting those combos just as often, you just don't remember their frequency as much.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

Jesus Christ Danganronpa I like you but you have the same problem as Phoenix Wright in that I don't know what you want from me.

Danganronpa 2 case 3 There's a part where you have to play a rhythm game and then piece together the final clue at the end of it. This ones final clue is apparently "theater bonus prize" and not "bonus theater prize" gently caress you game.

Hangman Gambits are garbage too.

hangman gambits are always garbage, they never made them fun

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I pointed this out to a friend of mine who was playing through the game for the first time recently but it is transparently obvious that Witcher 3 devs couldn't really make water combat interesting so they made the crossbow into a "I win" button. Which is alright I guess since it keeps the flow going but I was broadly enjoying the combat in the witcher 3 and everything involving water seems like a really bad fumble in a otherwise great game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Morpheus posted:

It always comes to confirmation bias...

I was able to accept this about puzzle quest, years after the fact. My complaint about puzzle quest is the first character I made was a rogue, and he had two different moves that each vanished a different color off the grid, and nothing in the game can stand up to the combos of being thrashed by such a un-diversified board collapsing. It made every fight in the game just spamming those two moves as fast as possible and shredding your opponents to nothing in a very short order.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Morpheus posted:

It always comes to confirmation bias...

I was able to accept this about puzzle quest, years after the fact. My complaint about puzzle quest is the first character I made was a rogue, and he had two different moves that each vanished a different color off the grid, and nothing in the game can stand up to the combos of being thrashed by such a un-diversified board collapsing. It made every fight in the game just spamming those two moves as fast as possible and shredding your opponents to nothing in a very short order.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Safeword posted:

Watch pro players of puyo tetris sometime, they're insane

this guy is playing solo against a team of two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cfXYf6gdmw&t=215s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Olaf The Stout posted:

That's basically how the late-game opponents gently caress you forever, too. They have a bunch of color change skills and skills to erase colors then they just combo you to death within like three turns. You can do the same thing, so it comes down to whoever gets mana first. Except they have special equipment that gives them super duper mana every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Far Cry 4:

This game takes a decent idea and runs it into the ground again and again. The questline for Longinus involves four identical tailing-missions. The pointless questline with those two expat fuckwads has you going through four identical drug-trips. There are five identical missions where you have to run a gauntlet of enemies with a bow in Shangri-La. A good questline in a game has you go on an adventure that's well paced and varied; there's a mix of gameplay elements and a satisfying arc to events.

Barring one or two missable things in Far Cry 3 it's fairly easy to get 100 percent. In 4 there's a single gun that takes hours of grinding through an arena mode to unlock. I didn't bother.

I dropped the game after killing everyone and still had a dozen unspent skill points, because one skill was locked behind the Arena.

When I hit max XP and Karma there was still a laundry-list of chores ejaculated onto the map. I didn't bother cleaning up.

Pagan Min has even less screen-time than Vaas. There's the beginning, the end, and one scene in the middle. Rest of the time he just spams your voice-mail. Hannibal Lecter was only in The Silence of the Lambs for 20 minutes but even he had more material to work with.

I genuinely hate the healing-system in 3 and 4. You can hold up to 8 syringes, but I never, ever hit the max amount. If you want to recover from a little-damage you have to use an entire syringe, instead of going through a finger-pulling animation. Regenerating-health would have been better.