Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

RZApublican posted:

Probably the least Scrublords game they've played since Dong Dong Never Die.

Wait Dong Dong Never Die was a Scrublords game and not a Friday Night Fights game? Unsubscribing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvYBHpEWIY

it's a scrublords in name only

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

And sometimes a Scrublords gets promoted to a Fisticuffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSJyvD48Cw

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'd actually seen it before I just assumed it was a Fisticuffs and not a Scrublords.

RZApublican posted:

Oh what that was only $9 in the mid-year sale. I totally would have bought it.

$18? Hahahaha no.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

RZApublican posted:

is it me or does the guy on the left in the title screen have the face of chad warden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufDxxWIsM

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I flicked back a page to see AI talk. I love AI talk.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I distinctly remember the first Half-Life getting a ton of praise for the AI on the soldiers and years later reading about how they literally just had the same AI as the aliens but had voice lines about how they're flanking or whatever. The appearance of being smart is more important than ACTUALLY being smart, because the player still wants the satisfaction of beating them.

Well people are pretty easily impressed by barely-appropriate-to-call-it AI elements which are simply If-Then routines though, maybe it's just lack of understanding of the nuts and bolts? I don't know. Go read some articles on Halo AI. That system has some okay elements I guess but some of the stuff which is celebrated is ridiculous. Grunts run around in circles panicking when their nominated leader is killed? The big bad guys do kamikaze attacks at you when they're low on health? Enemies run at you when you hit them with a sticky grenade? Holy poo poo this is Skynet level poo poo! People get excited by what in the background is going to be a simple conditional.

Back to fighting games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/676120/Sango_Guardian_Chaos_Generation_Steamedition/

The game loads the entirety of its assets at the start of the game, without telling you it's doing this. So you just see literally a black screen for up to 2-3 minutes, assuming for all the world that it's crashed if you haven't already looked at the reviews or plumbed the depths of the Community Hub, but from there it plays like an actual arcade game, where you don't have loading. Having said that, it's not terrible awful or anything but it's got some ... quirks. If you're the type of dork to try out fighting games from doujin game sites you'll be okay but you've got to be the type of person who realises that the game won't accept diagonal inputs, then discovers that on a 360 controller pulling the trigger in the opposite direction in which you want to move inputs a diagonal so if you THEN jump you can do a diagonal jump and then just goes "Okay this is how it is now". And yes this is how you have to input half circle fireball moves etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I read an article/comment on neural networks for AI, basically he/she said that AI that is too smart has an unnerving or creepy effect, like someone peering over your shoulders. Basically you want npcs to be some kind of dumb that is still challenging.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's not about being creepy, it's about being fun. Overly skilled AI that uses flanking and other good tactics, for most games, is an unfun opponent. You want AI that sounds smart, not is.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Or an AI that is the next level of smart up where it intentionally makes just enough mistakes to let you win and starts making less when it thinks you're starting to improve. Eg. it's letting you win but very subtly.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Any time the subject of obnoxious AI pops up I get flashback to the first Puzzle Quest.

The devs may have sworn that they didn't program the AI to do so, but not only can that bugger see what tiles are going to fall ahead of time, it also knows exactly when it's passive skills are going to proc and will take advantage of those to the fullest.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/889770/UnHolY_DisAsTeR/

quote:

So far this is basically the game minus the H-Scenes. Hopefully there's an add-on or patch to include the H-scenes like in the original japanese version.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

Any time the subject of obnoxious AI pops up I get flashback to the first Puzzle Quest.

The devs may have sworn that they didn't program the AI to do so, but not only can that bugger see what tiles are going to fall ahead of time, it also knows exactly when it's passive skills are going to proc and will take advantage of those to the fullest.
That game got so incredibly tedious by the end I completely swore off it. There's absolutely no fun in fighting an opponent that demands perfection, let alone in a match 3 game.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

HGH posted:

That game got so incredibly tedious by the end I completely swore off it. There's absolutely no fun in fighting an opponent that demands perfection, let alone in a match 3 game.

If you can push through far enough you get the chance to craft some extremely overpowered runeword items that completely break the game, but that's also tedious in it's own way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm gonna be honest, there are some games for which I can kind of see this because the non-ero versions do some weird poo poo to dance around the fact that it originally had loving.

Like, I keep mentioning Fate/stay night in this context (because it's legit a fun as hell read), and it's a good example here too.

The first two routes are fine in the non-H version, because the sex scenes are super perfunctory "oh someone needs some mana from the protagonist, TIME TO gently caress" and just get replaced with... different ways of doing that.

The third route, however, revolves around the protagonist saving a girl from horrific sexual abuse. Including sexual body horror that would make Clive Barker loving wince. It's... not perfectly handled, as you can expect from a sheltered Japanese dude writing it, but I think it does okay with the subject matter and isn't disrespectful (the abuse is played for extreme horror and not titillation, and the abusers are treated as actively way worse people than the more "normal" villains, to the point where at least one straight up face-turns to help gently caress their poo poo up).

What does the non-H version replace the horrific sexual abuse and body horror with, you might ask?

VAMPIRES. I swear on the goddamn bible, it makes her a vampire instead of a sexual abuse victim. :psyboom:

PrairieBumpkin58
Sep 10, 2013

My mood today and every day.

Christ that game looks mediocre as hell.

And this is based on a japanese game without the interesting parts? Bad form developer, bad form.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
No fear - developer already has a patch up for the

AndrewEB posted:

interesting parts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, there are some games for which I can kind of see this because the non-ero versions do some weird poo poo to dance around the fact that it originally had loving.

Like, I keep mentioning Fate/stay night in this context (because it's legit a fun as hell read), and it's a good example here too.

The first two routes are fine in the non-H version, because the sex scenes are super perfunctory "oh someone needs some mana from the protagonist, TIME TO gently caress" and just get replaced with... different ways of doing that.

The third route, however, revolves around the protagonist saving a girl from horrific sexual abuse. Including sexual body horror that would make Clive Barker loving wince. It's... not perfectly handled, as you can expect from a sheltered Japanese dude writing it, but I think it does okay with the subject matter and isn't disrespectful (the abuse is played for extreme horror and not titillation, and the abusers are treated as actively way worse people than the more "normal" villains, to the point where at least one straight up face-turns to help gently caress their poo poo up).

What does the non-H version replace the horrific sexual abuse and body horror with, you might ask?

VAMPIRES. I swear on the goddamn bible, it makes her a vampire instead of a sexual abuse victim. :psyboom:

H o w

That doesn't work with literally anything in her story!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Fate series does indeed belong in the Terrible Awful Games Thread.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StrixNebulosa posted:

H o w

That doesn't work with literally anything in her story!

trust me I am as absolutely loving baffled as you are

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Fate series does indeed belong in the Terrible Awful Games Thread.

Extella scratched the Dynasty Warriors itch because now I can pummel thousands of mooks into oblivion and not have to play the latest Dynasty Warriors.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, vampires were sexual abuse metaphors since forever, so it's not really a new use of vampires. On the other hand, it sounds like it's done extremely poorly, and somehow backwards?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Done extremely poorly, and somehow backwards" would make a great thread subtitle if "rear end-based morality system" somehow stopped existing.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The AI of Doom has always been “move toward player, attack if player is visible” and it still works great over 25 years later. The new doom game barely changed it and only really made imps and possessed guys more evasive. It still works great.

Usually it’s better to work around the limitations of simple AI than to try and make it super smart.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Skeleton King posted:

The AI of Doom has always been “move toward player, attack if player is visible” and it still works great over 25 years later. The new doom game barely changed it and only really made imps and possessed guys more evasive. It still works great.

Usually it’s better to work around the limitations of simple AI than to try and make it super smart.

Please. You completely forgot to mention "wander in random directions for short distances" and "vary how often they shoot based on distance from player". The Doom AI is highly complex I'll have you know! :colbert:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes they also shoot each other.

Actually monster infighting is probably the one interesting part of Doom AI and it’s a shame more action games don’t descend into chaotic free for alls.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actually monster infighting is probably the one interesting part of Doom AI and it’s a shame more action games don’t descend into chaotic free for alls.

as a kid i loved putting on god mode and just rounding up as many enemies as possible to force them to fight

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Modern innovations in AI are less tangible, like Left4Dead and Vermintide's directors, complex music cueing systems, and animation.

Not that AI as traditionally thought of isn't advancing, but AI as a field in game development has expanded.

e: There's a lengthy GDC video from Assassin's Creed Unity about the AI handling the carriages and fighting on/around them that exemplifies how incredibly complex AI is to look like it hasn't done anything.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 16, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I love the infighting. It’s always funny when a baron stops attacking you to put some rear end in a top hat imp in its place.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I always liked that level in Doom 2 that had the giant Spider and giant Minotaur stuck on big pillars next to each other.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/629910/Clicker_Heroes_2/

$30 for an idle clicker sequel.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I know that they didn't want to put exploitative microtransactions into this game but 30$???

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Could be cheaper at full release which is when I'll buy it. Big skill trees and that automator make me go, "Mmmmm." Hopefully they pack in much more content in that 1-2 year window they gave themselves.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I like how instead of just saying "procedurally generated infinite content" they threw a geologically deep number of hours in there.

Also early access for a clicker :lol:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I can’t believe that this thread managed to convince me that a skeevy game about grabbing asses is actually kinda funny and charming.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's hard to really know how moral (rear end-based) a person is until something really tests them.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The proverbial diamond in the buff.:v:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

After playing Clicker Heroes 1 for over 300 hours, I was excited to get into this game and after playing it for over an hour, I am happy.

Pros:
1) The biggest difference I felt in this game compared to number 1 is how fun and engaging clicking is. It feels powerful and feels a lot more rewarding versus leveling a hero and letting them do all the work.

2) A mechanic that I like playing with too is the "Automator". I felt that using skills myself every couple of seconds quickly became a drag but with the Automator, it put them to use for me and enables the use of combos with other skills which I really like.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The pinnacle of AI is Serious Sam's "gently caress it, just charge" method. Sometimes I don't want to think, I just want to shoot lots of dudes and if they hide it means I have to waste time flushing them out of cover, which is time spent not murdering dudes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad the progressquest meme finally entered mainstream with clickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

but that game's not awful? I mean it's Chasing the Dragon, the video game, but I seen worse.