Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Yea, I want to say that HUGE is the first bar spinner its come up against, so its been having real softball fights and still losing to them. The first iteration of chomp got absolutely demolished by Icewave in season 1, which is probably why its a totally different bot now.

I really want to see a chomp vs tombstone fight. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chomp
Strengths: Seemingly indestructible
Weaknesses: Everything else

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
chomp's primary weapon got owned but it was also extremely flimsy. the rest of the bot is stupidly strong though. huge owns.

icewave should've won. dumb saw bot flailed itself at it the whole time and won purely on "well technically," i'm also glad that petunia actually Did A Thing and crushed into another bot, although that other bot was very bad

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shredderator is a fun bot, because it's actually a pretty good bot... apparently as long as it doesn't hit the walls of the box and destroys itself...

Also the Icewave fight was pretty much a coin flip. Except for a few hits, all the damage from saw bot was from saw bot being aggressive and controlling the fight. It really was a similar fight to the Bombshell fight, except without the final blow at the end.

The bot with the active and working weapon for the majority of the fight, not really having any control and getting out driven by the damaged bot.

I mean how many points should you get for aggression and damage with your primary weapon, if it's all from the opponent actively ramming into your bot / weapon?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think that might have been the best drone kill yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Duck! fought valiantly, but Bronco is a really, really good bot.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Did they say that this is only halfway through the season? Last year was only 10 episodes and the year before was 6.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Did they say that this is only halfway through the season? Last year was only 10 episodes and the year before was 6.

Yep. 20 episode season. Two week break until the next episode though. :(

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

battlebots.com posted:

Let the Bot battles begin! We’re excited to announce that Discovery Networks (Discovery & Science Channel) has ordered up a fresh, new, 20-episode series of BattleBots—bursting with robot combat goodness. Sparks flying, robots dying, all coming to your TV screens starting May 11th at 8:00pm on Discovery, and May 16th at 9:00pm on Science Channel (and each week thereafter).

e: beaten

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Yep, still ten episodes to go, and all of this was filmed over ~2 weeks. The schedule was a bit exhausting. If I remember correctly, filming started Tuesday of week one (Most teams arrived on the prior Saturday) and the current fights are near Sunday, so the remaining 10 episodes are mostly from the first Sunday to the second Sunday. (There were repair days Thursday of week one, Monday of week two, and Thursday of week 2)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MikeNCR posted:

They were running the 150's, we were running the 400's. Neither seems terribly capable of handling the power Ampflow claims they're able to put out.

Is this why at least one robot every episode just spontaneously combusts? Everyone is using a name brand and are being hit by the same poor quality part?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Is this why at least one robot every episode just spontaneously combusts? Everyone is using a name brand and are being hit by the same poor quality part?

There were rumors circulating into the pits related to the QC process (and manufacturing) of several very common components. Based on what I saw, none of those parts will end up in another robot I build.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It's super noticeable this year. If robots aren't just refusing to function correctly they start billowing smoke under load.

I know stuff like this has happened in previous years but battery fires/smoke was a huge deal when it happened. Now it's every episode. I haven't made a list or anything but it's easily a half dozen times.

I don't even think Free Shipping actually set Hyper Shock on fire at first tonight. Unless it was an issue with the editing they hadn't had their flamethrower on it for very long and Hyper Shock spent a good 30 seconds flipping around / hitting it's drum spinner on the ground trying to self right. It landed on it's back and started billowing smoke before Free Shipping finally drove up to it to put a sustained flame on it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holy poo poo, I love Son of Whyachi so much :allears:

They're my favorite old school team by far, I'm happy they're back to destroying everything they come up against after that less than stellar first match. Also really loving the Warhead guys and that dude who built Sharkoprion. That was just a genuinely fun fight and you can tell they're having an absolute blast :h:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Monsoon had a camera on briefly for that fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbW-_TfVss

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spotted this in a crowd shot:

:ramsay:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's pretty cool to see the judges actually get really into the fights instead of looking like they are just there for a paycheck.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

I don't think anything will top the rake, but that was the coolest thing the screws have ever done for sure.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, I love Son of Whyachi so much :allears:

They're my favorite old school team by far, I'm happy they're back to destroying everything they come up against after that less than stellar first match. Also really loving the Warhead guys and that dude who built Sharkoprion. That was just a genuinely fun fight and you can tell they're having an absolute blast :h:

Ed, the Sharkoprion guy, is one of the genuinely coolest guys I've ever met. He's an old carny and professional sword swallower who used to have crazy underground bot fighting competitions in the parking lot of the trailer park he lived at in Las Vegas back in the mid 2000's. I remember the Bronco team showing up with their old bot Toro and almost launching a 300+ lb bot over the fence into oncoming traffic on the adjacent street.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Great Beer posted:

It's glorious, I love it so much

https://i.imgur.com/uxSSBjA.gifv

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i love when drones get hosed up

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still prefer the rake one better

Especially since I saw it live and the crowd lost its loving mind

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

Ed, the Sharkoprion guy, is one of the genuinely coolest guys I've ever met.

That robot was beautiful to watch swimming around the arena too. It was a shame that it kept getting bitten :coolfish:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was rooting for Sharkoprion just because it's unique and timed (almost) perfectly for shark week. I hope he gets a bigger spinner or a giant set of jaws, a little more oomph, and comes back. Also, kudos to Warhead for playing along with the t-rex jaws.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, I didn't catch if Sharkorpion had any science channel fights, but they should still have a few more more fights and the dude is a character and should have no problems getting at least another televised fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd love to see a budget Battlebots where a scrapyard's worth of parts are bought and competitors pick through it to make robots that compete in various challenges like robo sumo or obstacle courses and the requisite beating the crap out of each other

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd love to see a budget Battlebots where a scrapyard's worth of parts are bought and competitors pick through it to make robots that compete in various challenges like robo sumo or obstacle courses and the requisite beating the crap out of each other

Makes me miss this fine show

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapheap_Challenge

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Basically, except with more robo violence

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring back Junkyard Wars tia

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess I haven't been paying to the release schedule for episodes online, doesn't Amazon usually have the newest one by now?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Junkyard Wars was amazing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bring back Junkyard Wars tia

:hai:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xelkelvos posted:

This is a fantastic idea and it needs to happen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They really should bring that back, it was great. (The spinoff series were .... sometimes less than great.)

Also I think Robert Llewellyn and Lisa Rogers could probably use the work ...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bronco is the most entertaining bot.

I have also noticed the weird electrical problems. I'm too lazy to count but it's got to be at least half the matches either have a bot's weapon stop working or the electrical system catches on fire. I don't remember it being that common before.

E: Also enjoying Faruq's gradual descent into madness.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 17, 2018

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

The first (maybe more?) series of Robot Wars did this, it was annoying in that case because we all just wanted to see the robots fight! The format you suggest sounds better though.

And Yeah, Faruq is great, does he write those ...things..himself?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chopped, but with robots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something I particularly like about the last couple seasons is how most bots have different configurations or loadouts for fighting opponents. A lot of it is minor but some of them really seem to try and switch things up.

quote:

Chopped, but with robots.

This would rule.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rondette posted:

The first (maybe more?) series of Robot Wars did this, it was annoying in that case because we all just wanted to see the robots fight! The format you suggest sounds better though.

I was thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

I think the teams do. One of the things he said this season referenced that the team wrote it.

• Locked thread