Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Regy Rusty posted:

I saw the cat man once but he ran away before I even attacked him cause I didn't know he was special. :(

What is the Domination bonus that gets you extra JP? I just saw it for the first time but I'm not really sure what I did to earn it.

Don't let any enemies attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I saw the cat man once but he ran away before I even attacked him cause I didn't know he was special. :(

What is the Domination bonus that gets you extra JP? I just saw it for the first time but I'm not really sure what I did to earn it.

I think Domination is beat the encounter in the first round.

e: oh I thought not letting them attack was Untouched, but I guess it's just don't get hit.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I think Domination is beat the encounter in the first round.

e: oh I thought not letting them attack was Untouched, but I guess it's just don't get hit.

Yeah, the bonuses are Untouched (don't get attacked), Domination (win during the first turn) and Break (Break).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I didn't even realize I'd won during the first turn. I guess now that I have a full party that's a lot easier to do though.

Ususally I'm wasting so much time stealing money with Tressa lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man, Tressa's chapter 2 boss was doing party wide 500 damage and the ads were doing like 200-300 party wide and that was nuts.

Just finished Therions who's boss is literally a fat guy who can barely manage 300 to a single target sometimes. The balance is hosed in a real weird way I tell you what.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have only played 6 hours and just started my 4th character prologue. This game is so relaxing on commutes and waiting areas.

Primrose
Olberic
Tressa
Cyrus

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Regy Rusty posted:

Zore posted:

Don't let any enemies attack.

No, it's win in the first round. I've gotten attacked before (and lost the no damage money bonus) but still gotten domination because I wiped them out by the end of the first round.

Also as best I can tell the bonuses are just a flat 10% which is nice when you get multipliers from the dance.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Some thoughts on Primrose the Dancer-Warrior:

I chose this path because I like the idea of using Eye for an Eye with Warrior skills that let you tank. In addition, it gave our party someone with Swords finally (We have Linde, but Linde does as Linde pleases in battle).

Immediately swapping to a weapon the enemy has been vulnerable to and setting up Incite has worked pretty well. Stout Wall is usually my second action with Prim.

Stacking Evade to the gills has been a mistake, it seems. Enemies hit reliably regardless of how high I pump the stat.

My supports are the Summon Strength, Eye for an Eye, Second Wind, and Cover.

Some thought on Tressa as a Merchant-Scholar:

All hail the Discount Wizard.

Don't know what I'm going cross train Alfyn in. Maybe Ophilia for some light magic, but it feels like a waste. I'm taking a different approach with H'aanit and giving her Apothacary to get access to Amputate. She doesn't need to be more versatile, just better at her physical attacks. A second healer would be good as well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/konpeitopanic/status/1018508604188475392

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tressa spoiler:

Bold of them to go with "Tressa discovers capitalism" as a story

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

In terms of the towns feeling empty / plot not lining up, I think it makes sense with that comment about the developers intending you to be able to pick it up and play it in chunks or before bed or travelling to work or what not. The dungeons being pretty small combined with the chapters mostly playing out the same way is more digestible over the long run. Unfortunately most gamers are session players and grinders so after 20 hours of doing everyone's Chapter 1 in a row, you don't so much see a tiny themed town, but all the nuts and bolts. Not being able to swap your party at a save point kind of sucks, but at least fast travel is dope.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Real talk, does anyone have a list of the optional dungeons in between chapters 1 and 2 (the ones that are in between the 8 starting towns)?

That would help me out A LOT!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think my only major gripe with this game is that the amount of new stuff you can train your characters in seems to peter out pretty early (unless there's more stuff later). I'm in the middle of my first Chapter 2 and I feel like I already basically have the perfect secondary skills layout for my squad. The only character advancement I really see coming up is just taking whatever rando I put into my dream team to do their content.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think it's be interesting if, in a future sequel to the game, all eight characters are involved in the combat. Like, you make two teams of four, and they alternate rounds or something.

Having to go back to the tavern over and over to swap characters to do all the side quests is tedious. Just loving have all eight in your party at once.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fadam posted:

I think my only major gripe with this game is that the amount of new stuff you can train your characters in seems to peter out pretty early (unless there's more stuff later). I'm in the middle of my first Chapter 2 and I feel like I already basically have the perfect secondary skills layout for my squad. The only character advancement I really see coming up is just taking whatever rando I put into my dream team to do their content.

There are four more jobs that unlock in level 50 dungeons but otherwise yeah, its mostly just equipment/level advancement.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Zore posted:

There are four more jobs that unlock in level 50 dungeons but otherwise yeah, its mostly just equipment/level advancement.

Oh drat, that's sick.

Speaking of late game, did we ever figure out if there's actually endgame content that involves all eight stories converging, yet?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There is a true final boss, yes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It would be nice if you could just swap characters at save points.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

fadam posted:

Oh drat, that's sick.

Speaking of late game, did we ever figure out if there's actually endgame content that involves all eight stories converging, yet?

There is 100% content that features all 8 protagonists at once. It's considered the epilogue/postgame and there's a bunch of requirements to get to it - mainly to do with some side quest chains and completing all 8 character's Ch. 4s.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gyoru posted:

There is 100% content that features all 8 protagonists at once. It's considered the epilogue/postgame and there's a bunch of requirements to get to it - mainly to do with some side quest chains and completing all 8 character's Ch. 4s.

That's good to hear. I guess that Jason Schreier guy was wrong?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well why would he bother playing to the end of another failed jrpg experiment

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just played Tressa's chapter 2 and I have more OPINIONS now!

1) It owned

2) The dungeon and boss was easier than all the level 15-20 content (dungeons) I've been doing which was weird, but it was a fantastic place to grind!

2a) Because of this, I finally unlocked the final skills/support skills for a couple of characters and wow this is a gamechanger. I wasn't that sold on the combat (compared to Bravely) but now I definitely see the potential!

3) The party skits are adorable :kimchi: Alfyn continues to be the goodest boy.

4) :ussr:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Zore posted:

So what defenses can everyone hit by default?

H'annit has Axe/Bow/Lightning and Sword/Lance plus the rest with summons
Therion has Sword/Dagger/Fire
Alfyn has Axe/Ice plus everything with concoct
Primrose has Dagger/Dark +1 other thing at a time with summon
Olberic has Sword/Lance
Tressa has Bow/Lance/Wind +her hired mercs
Cyrus has Staves/Fire/Ice/Lightning
Ophelia has Staves/Light+1 other thing with summon

So for multiclassing;

H'annit and Alfyn really don't need to worry beyond getting whatever stat bonuses and secondary commands since they can hit everything by default anyways.
Conversely, Olberic really wants Hunter to round out his defense hitting capabilities.
Ophelia/Primrose/Cyrus all basically want to multiclass into one of the others.
Tressa and to a lesser extent Therion are the jack of all trades and can do really well with basically anything except Warrior.

Honestly the only person who seems like they'd ever want Warrior is H'annit and maybe Alfyn since its the least versatile base class with only 2 defenses it can hit and no other utility.

Warrior Therion seems pretty okay to me. Mine's level 25ish and with various equipment bonuses is hitting over 500 Evade, so as a Warrior he can draw aggro, have the enemies miss, then sometimes counterattack thanks to that one Dancer passive that he also has. That being said, I'm currently running Merchant Therion for more weakness coverage and just gave him Cover to protect the other squishy people in my party.

Anyway, I just finished picking up the 8 subclasses, so now I have to make a decision between starting Chapter 2s or doing something insane and trying to game the system by getting to and somehow surviving and beating one of the special subclass bosses despite them being exactly twice the level of my head character. The one I found, the Starseeker, has 176k health, so I imagine the only way I would have any hope of success would involve many, many poisonings.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man, Tressa's chapter 2 boss was doing party wide 500 damage and the ads were doing like 200-300 party wide and that was nuts.

Just finished Therions who's boss is literally a fat guy who can barely manage 300 to a single target sometimes. The balance is hosed in a real weird way I tell you what.

It's funny I had the opposite experience, likely because I was incredibly underleveled. Went into Therion's Ch.2 boss with him at 20 and H'aanit/Alfyn/Primrose at 14/15/16. Boss was smacking the everloving daylights out of people. I ended up winning though with a whole lot of item spam and Therion dodge tanking like a motherfucker with his crazy rear end evasion.

The only other Ch.2 I've done so far was Primrose's and that boss was way the gently caress easier by comparison. Never really was in danger during the whole fight.

As a side note it's been really amusing to see the occasional bitching about locked purple chests out in the world because I chose Therion as my main so I've never had the situation come up where he wasn't around to unlock them. :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As a side note it's been really amusing to see the occasional bitching about locked purple chests out in the world because I chose Therion as my main so I've never had the situation come up where he wasn't around to unlock them. :v:

:yeah:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Should I be completing side quests ASAP or can I do them whenever? I don’t want to lock myself out of anything because I went too far in the main story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

fadam posted:

The guy called I am Setsuna a masterpiece and the future of retro games is solved

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

another botched video game journalism experiment :hmmyes:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mill Village posted:

Should I be completing side quests ASAP or can I do them whenever? I don’t want to lock myself out of anything because I went too far in the main story.

Some Chapter 1 side quests require visiting other towns, using path actions you may not have access to yet, and I think a couple of them even require going to Chapter 2 towns/areas. I wouldn't worry about completing them ASAP if you don't want to, since some you can't anyway.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

another botched video game journalism experiment :hmmyes:

I've thought you were someone else entirely for like a week because you didn't have your typical computer avatar. It's good to see you around I thought the friendly computer person had disappeared. :downs:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I'm stoked for this side quest with the dragon egg. This little girl is the next Khaleesi.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've thought you were someone else entirely for like a week because you didn't have your typical computer avatar. It's good to see you around I thought the friendly computer person had disappeared. :downs:
I will never stop making bad posts :hai:

Turpitude posted:

I'm stoked for this side quest with the dragon egg. This little girl is the next Khaleesi.
For real the continuing sidequests all have me really interested! They're all fantastic.

e: wow they're much more lenient on the rogue path actions, huh? In Quarrycrest there's an NPC that requires Alfyn to be level 30 to Inquire (way overleveled) while a level 16 Cyrus can scrutinize with 96% chance. The devs really do favor the rogue characters huh.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 16, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Do the area dungeons ever get marked complete? Or do you have to just remember you've already torn through them?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm walking around doing quests, a guy has a sob story his kid has gone missing. I look all over town, there's a building I can't get into and someone is blocking the door, I unleash leopards on the person standing out front and they take a hell of a beating from my captured salamanders before they go down. I bust inside and find a bunch of kids, after scrutinizing them I discover they're all orphans and they love their new mom who is currently concussed outside.

Then Therion stole their candy and stuffed animals. The End.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I survived an hour against The Runelord and ticked away about half its 190k health. It went nuts and started doing strong AoE stuff then. I don't think I have the resources to deal with that at this time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just did Cyrus' Chapter 2 since I was already in Quarrycrest and god drat now I'm super interested in his story too. :swoon: So far I'm extremely sold on the chapter 2's.

The way they made the chapters separate episodes is pretty neat too. Octopath Traveler is definitely my favorite anime right now.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I survived an hour against The Runelord and ticked away about half its 190k health. It went nuts and started doing strong AoE stuff then. I don't think I have the resources to deal with that at this time.

My strategy was to abuse the poo poo out of sidestep so my two merchants had 9 stacks by the aoe phase. After that it was just a matter of keeping up atk/armour debuffs on him and slamming for 20k with Olberic. BP funnelling helped too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, that sounds like a solid plan. I might give it another shot later on with a different party setup, but I think I need some JP on a few people to set that up, first. More levels would also help, since a party of 26/18/21/21 wasn't cutting it so much.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been taking this game really slow. I mean really slow.

I started with Tressa and I've only unlocked Cyrus, H'aanit, and Therion so far.

On my way to unlock the other four and I think my initial party will be Tressa/Cyrus/Therion/Primrose and then I can just sub in H'aanit/Olberic if I need someone in town moved from a doorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I've been taking this game really slow. I mean really slow.

I started with Tressa and I've only unlocked Cyrus, H'aanit, and Therion so far.

On my way to unlock the other four and I think my initial party will be Tressa/Cyrus/Therion/Primrose and then I can just sub in H'aanit/Olberic if I need someone in town moved from a doorway.

Just walked right past Ophilia huh, that's cold