Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So Samsung SmartThings had an hour long login outage this morning, I called and they're like yeah it's down for everyone. They fixed it but I mean fucks sake, some of these things are important, how about a little redundancy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Zero VGS posted:

So Samsung SmartThings had an hour long login outage this morning, I called and they're like yeah it's down for everyone. They fixed it but I mean fucks sake, some of these things are important, how about a little redundancy?

It’s pretty good nowadays. It used to be much worse.

They’re in no hurry to give everyone what they want: 100% local processing. I think because they’re aggregating the gently caress out of everyone’s data.

When the SmartThings cloud gets hacked it’s going to be a rough day for a lot of people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zero VGS posted:

ST has a lot going for it, but I have zero confidence in Samsungs infrastructure abilities.

You write custom code for ST in Groovy of all things. Groovy! I mean, thats got to tell you something about whoever is making technical decisions over there. (Actually, I seem to recall Samsung bought ST from someone so maybe its actually that original companies fault)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The "R" in "IOT" stands for "reliable".

(The "S" stands for "secure")

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Actually "RIOT" is a pretty good acronym.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I feel like Hue has hit the balance between local and cloud functionality pretty well. All the primary functionality works 100% locally with a security mechanism that's sufficient for the application (requiring a physical button press on the base). The cloud is only required if you want control from outside your network or integration with other cloud services, and in that case it makes perfect sense because the other option is having all kinds of non-technical people start dealing with port forwarding which is just a bad idea.

If the cloud service entirely disappeared tomorrow the device isn't bricked. No critical functionality stops working, you just lose a few nice features which can pretty much all be replicated within Home Assistant or other decent automation platforms.

Not at all like my Nest Thermostat, which basically becomes a really nice looking 7 day programmable thermostat if Alphabet gets bored of it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not betting the farm on it, but I hope if ecobee goes tits up, they open up their local api so the open source community can keep it going.

As a technical user I wish all this IoT stuff was local and I'll open ports as needed if I want remote access. For most users I imagine cloud mediated access is great.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Actually "RIOT" is a pretty good acronym.

RIOTS would be pretty good too. Reliable Internet of Things Security.

Shame it doesn't exist, and probably won't for longer than it should take to get sorted.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Not at all like my Nest Thermostat, which basically becomes a really nice looking 7 day programmable thermostat if Alphabet gets bored of it.

Honestly I bought the Nest for the appearance alone. I like, and use, all the smart features but really the main reason was the great looking screen, brushed metal, and the tactile feeling I get when I turn it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not betting the farm on it, but I hope if ecobee goes tits up, they open up their local api so the open source community can keep it going.

As a technical user I wish all this IoT stuff was local and I'll open ports as needed if I want remote access. For most users I imagine cloud mediated access is great.

I feel like Home Assistant’s cloud model is ideal - everything meaningful is done locally, the cloud mediated component is literally just for relaying things from external services like voice assistants without forcing the user to try to be properly secure about exposing their system to the Internet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Home Assistant is great all around if you're a technical person. You can tinker to your hearts content, or set it up and never tinker again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I bought the Nest for the appearance alone. I like, and use, all the smart features but really the main reason was the great looking screen, brushed metal, and the tactile feeling I get when I turn it.

I'll definitely agree with that. On many occasions I've contemplated just DIYing a replacement that has the local control features I want, but every time I get to the physical design and realize that I'll end up with something that looks and feels DIY sitting in the main hallway of my house, just outside the main bathroom. The Nest looks great and has an intuitive UI. If it had a local API it'd be perfect IMO.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I replaced my Wink hub with Home Assistant a while ago. Love it. You want everything local? Done. You want mitigation for "cloud enabled" bullshit? You have options. They just released push support for the Rachio sprinkler controller, for example, that mitigates a good deal of the "needs to be connected to an always available cloud service" bullshit. You want to use cheap voice assistants like Google Home or Alexa in exchange for being data-mined? You can do that. Or not.

Definitely more complicated to set up. For someone just starting out, it's a steeper learning curve, and lots of additional decisions, finding the right hardware, etc. need to be made. That's pretty much the exchange you get for flexibility. If you've been using Wink or ST etc. for a while and want to move up though, worth the effort, and easier.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ring Pro Doorbell is on sale for Prime Day. Would be interested in any first-hand opinions on it. Is it any good, or should i just stump up for the Nest Hello?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Slash posted:

Ring Pro Doorbell is on sale for Prime Day. Would be interested in any first-hand opinions on it. Is it any good, or should i just stump up for the Nest Hello?

There's discussion of Ring on the previous page, but I don't guess it was the Pro model. I'm not sure what difference Pro makes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

There's discussion of Ring on the previous page, but I don't guess it was the Pro model. I'm not sure what difference Pro makes.

Pro is for people who open doors for money.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

After further reading, it seems that the Nest Hello has it beat on all fronts.

Over the non-pro verion the pro version is wired, supports 5GHz wifi and has "Advanced motion detection incl. defining zones"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I installed an innovelli smart switch in one of my rooms and connected it to SmartThings. It works fine manually. Using SmartThings, I can turn it on, but not off. What did I do wrong?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Looking at installing some security cameras around my L-shaped 1-story home. Does anyone know of any resources for planning layout/coverage? I am probably going to go with the Ubiquiti PoE cameras (I was thinking of putting all the cameras + NVR on a dedicated sub-switch to provide power/centralize traffic).

e: Woah, cool -- I hadn't seen this
https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/04/12/ubiquiti-and-home-assistant/

quote:

TL;DR: Ubiquiti Networks has hired Paulus Schoutsen, the founder of Home Assistant, to support Home Assistant’s goals of making Home Assistant easier to configure for users, improving the integration with device makers and making it easier to create, maintain and evolve integrations.

Home Assistant is an open source project that thus far has been run by people in their spare time. In the last four and a half years it has grown from just me building a tiny framework with a handful of integrations to having our own operating system, over a 1000 integrations, superb performance, contributions by over 900 people, and our main Docker image has been pulled over 10 million times!

Observing this growth and passionate community, Ubiquiti Networks approached us.

Ubiquiti Networks currently focuses on 3 main technologies: high-capacity distributed Internet access, unified information technology, and next-gen consumer electronics for home and personal use. Their enterprise quality combined with their affordability has made them very popular among our users. They also share another passion of ours: trying to avoid clouds. Take for example their UniFi Video IP surveillance solution: it is a completely local hosted solution.

They recognize great potential in Home Assistant becoming the defacto platform for the home: fast, open source and local. They also want to deepen the integration of Ubiquiti Networks products in Home Assistant and may even support hosting Home Assistant instances on their hardware.

And so we have agreed that I (Paulus, founder Home Assistant) will join Ubiquiti Networks as a full time employee to focus on growing Home Assistant. I’ll now be able to devote my full energy to making Home Assistant easier to configure for users, improving the integration with device makers and making it easier to create, maintain and evolve integrations.

Ubiquiti Networks will not acquire any ownership of Home Assistant. We will remain an independent and open source project, just improving faster than ever with the support of Ubiquiti Networks.

I’m very excited about this opportunity and 2018 will be a really really great year for Home Assistant!

Hubis fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 16, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

Looking at installing some security cameras around my L-shaped 1-story home. Does anyone know of any resources for planning layout/coverage? I am probably going to go with the Ubiquiti PoE cameras (I was thinking of putting all the cameras + NVR on a dedicated sub-switch to provide power/centralize traffic).

https://calculator.ipvm.com/

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Exactly what I was hoping for, thanks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a weird situation. I have a set of hard wired cabinet lights on a Homeseer Z-wave switch. When I press the switch I hear the relay thunk, and the power on/off light switches appropriately, but the lights stay on. Poking it via Z-wave does the same thing.

Anyone heard of this? I’ll ping Homeseer support I guess, but I was not expecting this to be an available failure mode. And it’s a worrying one, sort of!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I have a weird situation. I have a set of hard wired cabinet lights on a Homeseer Z-wave switch. When I press the switch I hear the relay thunk, and the power on/off light switches appropriately, but the lights stay on. Poking it via Z-wave does the same thing.

Anyone heard of this? I’ll ping Homeseer support I guess, but I was not expecting this to be an available failure mode. And it’s a worrying one, sort of!

short across the relay?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man hue bulbs on sale at Amazon for Prime Day but they're being idiots about it. The prime day discount only applies to one bulb if you try to build multiples in one order. However, you can just do separate individual orders and get a discount on each bulb.

On the plus side I just found out Amazon actually has a notice if you try to play a duplicate order.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Picked up an Ecobee3 + 3 sensors for $199. Thanks Prime Day! Now to get that C-wire installed...

Anyone use one of these smart thermostats with radiators? I'm guessing the room sensors will help with that

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Picked up an Ecobee3 + 3 sensors for $199. Thanks Prime Day! Now to get that C-wire installed...

Anyone use one of these smart thermostats with radiators? I'm guessing the room sensors will help with that

You don't need one. You can install their pkit in the ac unit and it bypasses the need for one. Thats why I got an ecobee over a nest.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Keystoned posted:

You don't need one. You can install their pkit in the ac unit and it bypasses the need for one. Thats why I got an ecobee over a nest.

You may not have to either. I originally thought I didn't have a C-wire and installed the pkit, but the unit didn't work properly. After spending 2 hours with a very patient lady on their support team (who made me unwire the whole thing and rewire using the c-wire) it worked.

That's another reason to choose Ecobee: their support is phenomenal. The lady I worked with had me send her lots of wiring pictures and then she'd provide instructions, it was great.

mewse
May 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

That's another reason to choose Ecobee: their support is phenomenal. The lady I worked with had me send her lots of wiring pictures and then she'd provide instructions, it was great.

Did she sound canadian? Would be great if they're keeping their support team in-country

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

she had an indian accent IIRC

that's all i remember

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mewse posted:

Did she sound canadian?

What does a Canadian sound like?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

What does a Canadian sound like?

Rudely polite.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rudely polite.

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Slash posted:

All I can say is the Skybell HD / Skybell Trim does all the same stuff, but no monthly fee. Check into that if you want to save money, it works great for me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Ring is really shockingly slow to load video, so much so that it's really hard to actually use it as a doorbell where you can talk to people that rang it.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

uPen posted:

Ring is really shockingly slow to load video, so much so that it's really hard to actually use it as a doorbell where you can talk to people that rang it.

Totally agree. The Ring app is truly terrible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

All I can say is the Skybell HD / Skybell Trim does all the same stuff, but no monthly fee. Check into that if you want to save money, it works great for me.

Just to be clear, unless they've added a bunch of stuff since I evaluated it awhile back, the Skybell doesn't do a lot of the stuff the Nest Hello Aware subscription does.

Person recognition, face recognition, activity zones. Also, the app was noticeably slower to notify on events and load video streams or clips.

However, if thats a worthwhile tradeoff to you its a fine device.

Funnily enough, just before I sat down here at my PC my Google Homes said "Grandma and Sarah are at the front door" because they just rang the Nest Hello I've got there and it recognized their faces and was smart enough to recognize both of them and announce them both. It's pretty cool!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I've had a Ring Pro doorbell for over a year, then added a Ring Stick up cam for my back porch, and finally a Ring Spotlight Cam to cover my driveway (the trickiest install as I had to dick around in my attic over the garage and run power out to it) and I can say, after extensive usage with all of them and the Ring App, without hesitation or reservation, that Ring is a piece of poo poo and can go gently caress itself sideways.

Buy anything else. I already have.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Just to be clear, unless they've added a bunch of stuff since I evaluated it awhile back, the Skybell doesn't do a lot of the stuff the Nest Hello Aware subscription does.

Person recognition, face recognition, activity zones. Also, the app was noticeably slower to notify on events and load video streams or clips.

However, if thats a worthwhile tradeoff to you its a fine device.

Funnily enough, just before I sat down here at my PC my Google Homes said "Grandma and Sarah are at the front door" because they just rang the Nest Hello I've got there and it recognized their faces and was smart enough to recognize both of them and announce them both. It's pretty cool!

Right, I was comparing Skybell to Ring, not to Nest. Nest charges a monthly fee but gives you 24/7 recording and face recognition, etc. Ring charges a monthly fee but just does the same basic stuff as Skybell. So Ring doesn't make much sense to me vs the alternatives. It does give 60 days history vs 7 for Skybell but I've never needed more than 7 days; if anything happens that's worth keeping I could just download the clip to my phone with the Skybell app.

Also, the app is fast enough on loading streams/clips, and the "Doorbell pressed" notifications are near instantaneous, even if I'm in my house with the phone on a data connection, it buzzes me as the physical doorbell is still sounding.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Right, I was comparing Skybell to Ring, not to Nest. Nest charges a monthly fee but gives you 24/7 recording and face recognition, etc. Ring charges a monthly fee but just does the same basic stuff as Skybell. So Ring doesn't make much sense to me vs the alternatives. It does give 60 days history vs 7 for Skybell but I've never needed more than 7 days; if anything happens that's worth keeping I could just download the clip to my phone with the Skybell app.

Also, the app is fast enough on loading streams/clips, and the "Doorbell pressed" notifications are near instantaneous, even if I'm in my house with the phone on a data connection, it buzzes me as the physical doorbell is still sounding.

They may have improved it since I last used it months ago.

But yeah, I don't see a compelling reason to get Ring over Skybell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BoyBlunder posted:

I bought an Ecobee3 lite and two sensors a few months ago, but the Smart Away only works with the remote sensors, which is annoying as it clearly has the sensor in the head as it goes on every time you are near it.