Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I just don't use it, besides I like finding a big pile of goodies on the floor

Sometimes it's just the right thing to do to stuff a corpse full of blinis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

Yeah the mule breaks the game a little. I had more fun before I realized the inventory carries over between characters. I had fun stashing things, or if in a hurry drop everything on the ground like a mad scientist piñata just got busted open for the next character to find, it was harder and better.

I wish they would would have unlock harder simulator variants once you finished all the tasks. Like a hardcore mode with no purchasing or mulieng items, and a really hard version that starts you at corruption lvl 5 and stays there.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'd just want a challenge mode with random objectives to have to complete and without purchasing (or a limited budget or only certain items) and without the helpers.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The layered design of the plot progression (requiring at least two sim reboots, one to unlock Bhatia's mission and another to unlock the janitor's) gives you a fair amount of meat even if you're optimally going through levels but even so, the first half hour of Volunteer tutorial / the first engineer run are pretty slow. A greater abundance and variance of KASMA objectives would be nice.

Neither here nor there but I think the delay mechanic could be more interesting if they functioned a little more like control modules, eg things you can only use so many of in a run and require you to be at a certain place in the level.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

BattleMaster posted:

I'd just want a challenge mode with random objectives to have to complete and without purchasing (or a limited budget or only certain items) and without the helpers.

Random objectives, and also a random start somewhere in the main game would be amazing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would be okay with delays as loot only, not something you can make or buy to bring with you. Though I assume the point of letting you have as many as you could pay for was to make the game beatable for anyone having a lot of trouble with a 5-escape run; I was kind of surprised that you had to do a 5-escape to beat the game and not just get a cheevo/bragging rights. That said I probably didn't even need the immense number of them I found during my 5-escape run but I can't easily go back and check that for sure now that I beat the game.

Without a post-game challenge mode with random objectives or something though I have no real plans to go back to it until I feel like playing it all over again from scratch. Which is okay, I guess, since I had a blast with what was there. But I still kind of want more because of how much I enjoyed what it had.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 14, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey here's something I haven't actually thought about until now (Non-Mooncrash stuff): Who is responsible for breaking Morgan out of the simulation at the start of the game? I recall some emails about the blank neuromods Morgan was given that led to him/her remembering the previous day's events and failing the aptitude tests, but do you ever find out who set that up? Was it January? If so, how??

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Hey here's something I haven't actually thought about until now (Non-Mooncrash stuff): Who is responsible for breaking Morgan out of the simulation at the start of the game? I recall some emails about the blank neuromods Morgan was given that led to him/her remembering the previous day's events and failing the aptitude tests, but do you ever find out who set that up? Was it January? If so, how??

probably hacked the email changing his test mods to be nothing so he would pick up on the loop, the typhon outbreak happened that ongoing couple of days and they killed everyone

January's directives kicked in once it was clear there was an outbreak.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
January. Morgan programmed them to as a failsafe at one point, iirc.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Question on Mooncrash (that I'm sure has been answered): what's the best way to deal with the Moonshark? I've got 4/5 characters unlocked, but I feel like I'm wasting too much time trying to sneak around it. Especially few people into a run when I don't have the jetpack to hopscotch along the rocks.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Evil Mastermind posted:

Question on Mooncrash (that I'm sure has been answered): what's the best way to deal with the Moonshark? I've got 4/5 characters unlocked, but I feel like I'm wasting too much time trying to sneak around it. Especially few people into a run when I don't have the jetpack to hopscotch along the rocks.

someone earlier in the thread posted, correctly, that the cheat answer for the moonshark is a typhon tentacle grenade

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The Engineer can massacre it with a combination of turrets and electric burst stun. Vijay is a combat monster. The Volunteer can straight up nuke it to pieces. The only ones I have a problem fighting it with are the Director and Custodian, but those two are stealth characters so you shouldn't have to fight it anyway. When you're fighting it just don't stand still because its rock attacks will wreck you and stay just out of melee range.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Typhon spores are the key, and if you're the volunteer then superthermal/kinetic blast will ruin it. I never tried typhon lure + 3 stacked superthermals on top of the lure but it wouldn't surprise me if that instakilled it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sharkle is resistant to bullets but takes decent damage from any psi power. I've had good results sniping it from cover with the Volunteer. Luring it into Tentacle Nests or dropping Typhon Spores at its feet should work well too.

You can throw objects onto the crater surface to distract it, or temporarily disable a Typhon gate to escape by hitting its monitor with electricity.

If you don't have the Artax fab schematic yet, look everywhere for one. There are tons of places where jumping farther or canceling a fall comes in handy.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 14, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks, folks. I guess I've been using superthermal wrong because I'm just using it like a psiblast rather than a landmine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I mean that's usually the best way to use it, triple stacking it as a trap is only that great for moonshark/nightmare.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
While it makes sense lore-wise, I'm curious gameplay wise, when you reset the simulation, do you also lose any unlocked skills? I've tried googling it up but all I get is results about a glitch in getting all the achievements. :psyduck:

I like being able to build up a character and have some fun rampaging around like in NG+ mode. :black101:

V Sweet, thanks. Now to wait for payday. :argh:

limited fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 14, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You keep all your neuromod abilities, schematics, and chipsets when you reset the sim.

e: in fact if you want the Galaxy Brain achievement you should go for that before completing all of KASMA's objectives, because there's no postgame

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 14, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you have a character that isn't going first and doesn't come with the jetpack, buy one. There's a superior way to use it to cross the crater that doesn't involve jumping between rocks.

If you have the jetpack equipped, whenever you're in the air you can double tap jump to do a fast air dash in the direction you're holding the movement keys. It takes half the jetpack's energy but has some serious speed and range to it, far greater than anything else the jetpack can do. If you alternate between sprinting on the ground and doing the air dash when the jetpack has enough charge to do so you can cross the crater in like 10 seconds and the Moonshark can't catch up to you.

The caveat is that even with this strategy, the Moonshark is fast enough chasing behind you to trigger the Typhon gates to close as you approach them. This means you need a stun gun to disable the gates (which I didn't know until I had completed a 5-escape run anyway), a Typhon ability that lets you by pass it, or you need to kill all the nearby normal enemies and hide until the shark goes away (which is what I did like a chump nearly every time).

edit: note that doing the airdash into a solid object can cause serious harm to you so you have to be careful where you aim it. It doesn't happen all the time which makes me think it's a glitch, but you can lose a lot of your health and end up with broken legs, as if the game thought you fell from a high height.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 15, 2018

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The caveat is that even with this strategy, the Moonshark is fast enough chasing behind you to trigger the Typhon gates to close as you approach them. This means you need a stun gun to disable the gates (which I didn't know until I had completed a 5-escape run anyway), a Typhon ability that lets you by pass it, or you need to kill all the nearby normal enemies and hide until the shark goes away
[/quote]

An electric-damage wrench or other weapon can also disable them.

I haven't tried it with an electric Boltcaster, but I hope to do so.

quote:

edit: note that doing the airdash into a solid object can cause serious harm to you so you have to be careful where you aim it. It doesn't happen all the time which makes me think it's a glitch, but you can lose a lot of your health and end up with broken legs, as if the game thought you fell from a high height.

It most often happens if you hit something and then that collision deflects you into another object. The dash itself never causes collision damage, but once the dash "ends" (as the game perceives it) due to the first collision, any excess speed can cause bone breaking if another collision occurs soon enough.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Mooncrash: Once I've completed an objective, am I supposed to complete it again and again, or can I disregard it from now on for a 'perfect' run? I suppose I care about progression and not getting 10000%%% achievements.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Each objective only needs to be completed once.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

If you have a character that isn't going first and doesn't come with the jetpack, buy one.
I still haven't gotten that blueprint. I'm stuck with Vijay's and the one free one you get just outside the crater.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's usually a few of them lying around - the locker room just inside Moonworks has one sometimes. The lockers in the habitation pods of Crew Annex have them sometimes too. More often I've found at least one, sometimes two in or around the shuttle station in Crew Annex (security corpses have a chance of spawning them). A phantom will have them more rarely.

Of course then you have to not reflexively vacuum up everything you see and waste the jetpack, but we all have our struggles

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I had a much more tense and interesting experience before realizing the mule was transferable. Alot of trade offs of whether to go for a stash I made just outside an an escaped characters exit point, etc...

Even without the transference it still kinda breaks the game because your inventory size is so huge you never have to worry about weapon degradation, etc

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Director can absolutely psychoshock the Shark dead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mooncrash questions: I'm confused what carries over between playthroughs, especially on character death. The various containers seem to have reset because I no longer had viable characters, but the enemy placement/roster was different when I went back in with the volunteer. Are the enemy types randomized each time you load up a character, or does the game have an unlock system for progressively more difficult enemies each time?

Also what is the corruption mechanic, is it simply more enemies spawning in and existing enemies increasing in toughness when a new corruption level is reached, or is there more going on in terms of gameplay. Is it a timer that games over when it reaches 4?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've only ever seen enemies get reshuffled when the corruption level rises, or on a sim reset.

Corruption adds a score multiplier on top of escalating threats. It won't force a reset until it reaches level 6.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

double nine posted:

mooncrash questions: I'm confused what carries over between playthroughs, especially on character death. The various containers seem to have reset because I no longer had viable characters, but the enemy placement/roster was different when I went back in with the volunteer. Are the enemy types randomized each time you load up a character, or does the game have an unlock system for progressively more difficult enemies each time?

Also what is the corruption mechanic, is it simply more enemies spawning in and existing enemies increasing in toughness when a new corruption level is reached, or is there more going on in terms of gameplay. Is it a timer that games over when it reaches 4?

Just dying/escaping doesn't reset or reshuffle anything; your next character will enter a moonbase that looks just like the previous character left it (including any items they picked up being gone, any enemies they killed being dead, and -- if they died -- their corpse or phantom somewhere). That said, I think there is some amount of enemy "wander", so the enemies that are still alive might be in different places when your next character enters the sim.

A Sim Reset happens when you run out of characters, i.e. you've died or escaped as all the characters you have unlocked so far, or when the corruption level reaches 6. When the sim resets:
- the corruption level is set to 1
- all enemies, hazards, and items are re-created randomly
- all escape paths are reset
- all unlocked characters become available for play again
Basically, the moonbase is returned to a "pristine" state. Note that as you get further into the Mooncrash storyline, this "pristine state" gets harder, e.g. more environmental hazards right from the start.

A corruption level increase happens when the corruption bar fills. If it hits 6 (i.e. you're at C5 and it fills up), this triggers a sim reset. Otherwise:
- all existing enemies are upgraded to harder versions
- all enemies that you have killed respawn in harder versions
- at higher corruption levels, the Nightmare starts spawning
I'm not sure if higher corruption can also introduce new environmental hazards, like areas depressurizing or catching fire that weren't before.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Just beat it! Last run was somewhat disappointingly easy. I really wish they had an item that does the opposite of delay time--I ended the run waiting around the shuttle at corruption level 3 for enemies to respawn so I could dunk on them again as Vijay for no reason whatsoever. Good game though, it was rough going the first few runs but only gets easier.

redreader posted:

Mooncrash: Once I've completed an objective, am I supposed to complete it again and again, or can I disregard it from now on for a 'perfect' run? I suppose I care about progression and not getting 10000%%% achievements.

Depends what you mean by "objective." Each of the 27 objectives you see on briefing/character select screens ("Progress") only needs to be completed once. Per-character story unlocks/quests only need to be completed once.

However, each escape method has a quest associated with it, and the usual schtick is that once you've done the whole thing, you'll only need to do about half the quest the next time. By way of example, for the "Upload" ending, you only need to get the volunteer data via Phantom Genesis once, so the next time you just hang around her offices in Pytheas Lab to complete it entirely. Mass driver is less forgiving, and you'll probably want to do it first on your five-escape run.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks!

Also I'm bad at this game (my excuse: playing with a ball mouse: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/trackman-marble) and died while pressing the inventory key to heal, with the volunteer, and also died with vivek to an unexpected moonshark while doing his mission. I generally start off a run with 10-20k. What are good ways to get more money? I feel like I'd do better if I weren't constantly using up all my money each run. I suppose I need to do a 'make money, spend no money' run or something.

Is the 'get more money per objective' chip really good? I use that.

Also lol at the idea of finishing mooncrash in 2-3 runs. I'm on my 10th at least and haven't unlocked the custodian yet.
Finally: where is the password for the labs recycler/fabricator? Do you get that during a mission or something?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Completing objectives, scoring kills, unlocking doors, and collecting important stuff like neuromods, keycards, schematics, and chipsets will all score you points. Start with the engineer, don't buy anything except a few delay loops, and comb the whole facility for loot and repairs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

redreader posted:

Finally: where is the password for the labs recycler/fabricator? Do you get that during a mission or something?

I have heard other people say that it can be found in the labs/observation rooms across the hall on a post-it note. I never noticed it there myself but I also wasn't looking particularly hard. If you're the Janitor you can also hack your way in which leaves it open for other characters later in the same run.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I never spent more than 1-2k except for my run with all 5. Most of my money at the start went into neuromods on newly unlocked characters. Otherwise I'd just usually only do an advanced wrench and maybe some shotgun/pistol ammo. Security stations almost always have guns and there is always the elite psychostatic cutter in the same place every run. Rest of the stuff just comes from killing things and always searching everything.

All the beefier typhon seem to be coded to drop a delay time as well. So it's usually worth killing them if you can.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What are the requirements for the cryptomancer cheevo? I have finished runs with 50.000 cash, and it didn’t trigger.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

What are the requirements for the cryptomancer cheevo? I have finished runs with 50.000 cash, and it didn’t trigger.

Have over 50k sim points when you complete the last objective and finish the game, not just finish a single run.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

ToxicFrog posted:

I have heard other people say that it can be found in the labs/observation rooms across the hall on a post-it note. I never noticed it there myself but I also wasn't looking particularly hard. If you're the Janitor you can also hack your way in which leaves it open for other characters later in the same run.

Or just use a foam bolt on the unlock button from the window on the opposite side of the room.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a way do restore power to an area? I left a bunch of useful stuff inside the crew annex but it's behind a powered down elevator :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

double nine posted:

is there a way do restore power to an area? I left a bunch of useful stuff inside the crew annex but it's behind a powered down elevator :(

The basement of the central tower in the crater has a door leading to the power control room, which lets you adjust which sections of the base are powered or (if you bring some extra control modules) power the whole thing up.

If there's a powered-off gravshaft, you can also climb it using gloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

didn't have gloo (well, a single gloo grenade but that's not going to do the trick). Thanks, I'll check it out.