Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Chomp8645 posted:

I think this is a misinterpretation of events.

When it comes to games there are people who are willing (or actively want ) to "get good" and be challenged by a game, and those who don't. The latter group is numerically larger, but neither attitude is right or wrong. In ye olde days when games were harder (not just in terms of mathematical/mechanical difficulty, but ability to easily parse and get to grips with) you were either part of the former group or... you didn't have much to play. With the current prevalence of "casual" games, this is no longer the case. Anyone can get into games now. The barrier for entry has been dramatically lowered.

I don't think that easy games have created casual gamers. They've just opened to market to people who didn't play at all when they were not available. Say that through an act of God all easy games were banished forever more and only hardcore games (whatever those are) could ever be played again. I don't think the game playing population would become hardcore. It would just shrink, and quite substantially.

That's one of the great things about the current game market, that we have casual and hardcore in abundance. Games for every taste. If casual games disappeared you wouldn't see some giant influx of Europa Universalis players... people would just quit video games. Likewise, if you deleted every video game that isn't run on a phone or named "Fortnite" you still wouldn't see me playing them, I'd just find new hobbies.

The issue with this is a lot of games and even entire genres have been dumbed down for the mass market. Execution is practically non-existent in most modern games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
DA1 isn't a good game because it's gameplay was trash even when it came out, and only got worse afterwards. The narrative and characters aren't too bad for a BioWare game tho, if you turn combat to super easy mode and just read every codex note and explore characters, it makes for an alright experience. Doesn't make it a good -game- though.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
theres no good black characters in video games except storm from mvc, doc louis, mike tyson from mike tysons punch out, and balrog (and balrog is mike tyson anyways so it barely counts)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

drjuggalo posted:

theres no good black characters in video games except storm from mvc, doc louis, mike tyson from mike tysons punch out, and balrog (and balrog is mike tyson anyways so it barely counts)

Holy poo poo dude

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Carl Johnson

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

drjuggalo posted:

retr0 from Watch Dogs 2 is someone I'd like to hang out with.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Colonel Cancer posted:

DA1 isn't a good game because it's gameplay was trash even when it came out, and only got worse afterwards. The narrative and characters aren't too bad for a BioWare game tho, if you turn combat to super easy mode and just read every codex note and explore characters, it makes for an alright experience. Doesn't make it a good -game- though.

if you're going to remove all challenge from a game just to experience the narrative you might as well just read a book or watch a TV show

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Lee Everett from The Walking Dead
Franklin from GTAV - hell, Lamar from GTAV too
Andre Bishop from Fight Night Champion
Adewale from Assassin's Creed IV
Taurus from Interstate 76

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is it still snake oil if your product does what it says, but it doesn't matter?

I like Steelseries' Arctis line of headsets, I really do, and my 3 and 7 headsets are my favorite headsets I've ever used, but this is high order bullshit right here

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oldstench posted:

retr0 from Watch Dogs 2 is someone I'd like to hang out with.

Counterpoint against this: Hes a character in an UbiSoft open world game

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Verisimilidude posted:

if you're going to remove all challenge from a game just to experience the narrative you might as well just read a book or watch a TV show

People say this but you can't choose anything in a book or a TV show. At least in a game you can choose to give characters the middle finger or give them your dick or steal all their jerkoff crystals or whatever

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Verisimilidude posted:

If you play a wizard, you basically destroy all encounters on any difficulty. If you don't, and God forbid don't keep that bitch Morrigan in your party (or that other forgettable mage), prepare to look at terrible animations of stabbing things with maces and corner pull everything. So much gameplay!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Morrigan was the best character. Everyone else couldn't wait to put my heroes dick in their mouths while she gave me constant sass. I loved it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you play a wizard, you basically destroy all encounters on any difficulty. If you don't, and God forbid don't keep that bitch Morrigan in your party (or that other forgettable mage), prepare to look at terrible animations of stabbing things with maces and corner pull everything. So much gameplay!

I'm the Bioware designer who looked at a spell which completely empties the enemy mana pool, does that many points in damage on top, has no saving throw (or whatever), is insta-cast, and is AOE and thought "yeah that's a good spell put it in."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm the Bioware designer who looked at a spell which completely empties the enemy mana pool, does that many points in damage on top, has no saving throw (or whatever), is insta-cast, and is AOE and thought "yeah that's a good spell put it in."

Mana clash is so dumb I love it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fruit on the bottom posted:

Mana clash is so dumb I love it

It's funny because mages could have been reasonably balanced, at least enough for a single player game, with just a little sanity checking. But they did not give a gently caress and left in poo poo that was so broken you could just read the spell description and know it was whack.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And by mid game, every encounter turns into "get knocked down by fireballs repeatedly or one shot their mage with mana clash and just cake walk your way through all the fightailures."

The actual talky parts are still fun though, but both KOTOR and Mass Effect 1 have vastly superior gameplay.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dragon Age had the most generic bog standard fantasy setting I don't know how anyone finished it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The talky parts are what sucked about DAO. It was like they generated the dialogue using an algorithm and a library of generic fantasy novels. Also the part when you have to traverse the hell / dream dimension is one of the worst experiences in gaming.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

Dragon Age had the most generic bog standard fantasy setting I don't know how anyone finished it

This isn't the wrong videogame opinions thread
:colbert:

If it was bog standard, you'd have Good dragons and paladins instead of ghetto elves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
wow, a crude facsimile of a real world problem, this surely isn't lovely generic fantasy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dragon age's universe is poo poo. The take on how magic works, the darkspawn, all that poo poo is weak as gently caress and otherwise its just tolkein-ripoff bog standard fantasy and the end result is a boring rear end inferior fantasy setting where every single struggle more or less boils down to "magic bad" lmao bioware is loving terrible.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I did like how if you crowned the “good” dwarf he ended up being a terrible king that couldn’t adapt to the changing times and the “evil” dwarf ended up fairly progressive and abolished the caste system because it was more pragmatic that way and also it meant that he could bang his low-caste mistress openly without people talking poo poo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Other notably bad fantasy settings: Witcher.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like how the lore literally degenerates from one installment of Dragon Age to another. Like in the first game the French people have the concept of a game, which is a pretty basic and straightforward metaphor for court intrigue. By the third game every French person is a harlequin costume wearing freak who is literally playing games instead of dealing with politics and the whole of France only exists to let people play their stupid games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colonel Cancer posted:

Other notably bad fantasy settings: Witcher.

You'll have to try harder to bait somebody with this take, man.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tbh I only played Origins, sequels are universally poo poo. Dragon age had a good treatment of magic tho, this is what rational and organized society would do if a small number of people were literally supermen who sometimes turn into monsters and kill everyone :shrug:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Canyon/stone levels in videogames suck as much as sewer levels.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"What if we have Orcs, but they can only reproduce by RAPE!"

- A Bioware writer

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In shmups, graphics are actually more important than gameplay and Twinbee is a better game than Ikaruga for being more colorful and fun to look at.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"What if we make the Templars and Mages a metaphor for Nazis/Jews, except the not-Jews are actually guilty of everything they are accused of."

- A Bioware Writer

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

"What if we have Orcs, but they can only reproduce by RAPE!"

- A Bioware writer

It’s actually a metaphor for HIV

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

:lol: some hot takes itt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chomp8645 posted:

"What is we make the Templars and Mages a metaphor for Nazis/Jews, except everything the not-Jews get accused of is actually true."

- A Bioware Writer

TBF the same thing is true with Mass Effect. Krogans are accused of being a threat to the galaxy, which is meant to be a sign of space racism... and every Krogan you meet affirms that yes, Krogans want to kill everybody and everything and nuke the whole universe to death.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The notion of equality between everyone kind of falls apart in most fantasy settings. Whether it makes them racist or not is a whole other swamp, but you can't really pretend that people who can literally set you on fire with their mind or Jedi mind trick you into doing anything exist on the same moral plane as an average peasant.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Morrigan was the best character. Everyone else couldn't wait to put my heroes dick in their mouths while she gave me constant sass. I loved it

The best thing about her was the dogpile she created in games when she didn’t pucker up to the PC immediately

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Morrigan was literally a selfish fantasy libertarian with no redeeming features. Now if you want a good character, take Shale or the dog.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

TBF the same thing is true with Mass Effect. Krogans are accused of being a threat to the galaxy, which is meant to be a sign of space racism... and every Krogan you meet affirms that yes, Krogans want to kill everybody and everything and nuke the whole universe to death.

*Krogan won't stop killing and generally despoiling everything they come into contact with*

A Paragon: we can't judge them, it's just their culture!

*Salarians do a genophage*

A Krogan: so much for the tolerant left!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Another fun example, in the shadowrun returns games the race description says that people are horrible racists against trolls, but they're smarter than most people give them credit. Also their int cap is comically low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

*Krogan won't stop killing and generally despoiling everything they come into contact with*

A Paragon: we can't judge them, it's just their culture!

*Salarians do a genophage*

A Krogan: so much for the tolerant left!

:yeah:

Mass effect could have used more salarians instead of just catering to the usual nerd cliche of strong warrior race.