Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

cash crab posted:

On their porter flights, they also give you free beer, which is weird when it's 6AM.

Porter’s amazing, they’ll even just hand you multiple drinks on their final pass before landing.

I’m guessing the people who work Canadian customs at the Toronto Island airport have seen some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

rndmnmbr posted:

You make sugar syrup, and boil it until enough of the sucrose breaks down into fructose and glucose to prevent it from crystallizing.
To expand on this, it's called "invert sugar" because it has the opposite effect on light as "normal" sugar has. This effect being that sucrose (and glucose on its own, which is why it's also known as "Dextrose" from the latin word for "right") in aqueous solution turn the plane of light waves passing through it to the right. Because naturally, light is unpolarized (the waves swing on every possible plane at random), you'd only notice this if you filter light to only have one orientation, with a polarization filter. Something that's used in some 3D glasses technology to make you only see one part of the image in one eye and a different part of a different polarization in the other eye. To illustrate:

The "optically active solution" in the image could well be a simple solution of sugar in water.

As rndmnmbr said, if you break sucrose into its composite parts, you get a 1:1 mixture of fructose and glucose, and as the concentration of fructose rises, the polarization of the light passing through the solution gradually shifts leftward. This is used as an analytical method to immediately tell the ratio of different sugar species in a given solution, or to determine purity.

:eng101: photophyical/chemical lesson of the day!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weird. I could have sworn up until this day that I had always understood "invert sugar" to be a molecularly mirrored sugar molecule that the body couldn't digest but tasted just as sweet, or that ate your brain like a candy prion or something

e: aha, this is what I was thinking of https://www.quora.com/What-happened...l-grocery-store :engleft:

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Jul 15, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

q!=e :eng99:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And here I thought it was just sugar that was sour instead of sweet, like "backwards sweetener" or something. Granted, I didn't think much on the topic prior to this.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Haifisch posted:

A surprising crossover with the comic strip thread.

Thats mid-west as gently caress

Oh boy, an entire tablespoon of hot sauce. We've got a bad rear end over here

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Brutal Moose is back with more Brutal Foods. This time it's Twinkie recipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfT-xwo1f4Y

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Haifisch posted:

This bothers me more than I care to admit.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

loving cilantro

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pookah posted:

This bothers me more than I care to admit.
Serves six, as long as people are okay with getting fractions of a taco pasta shell.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

You make sugar syrup, and boil it until enough of the sucrose breaks down into fructose and glucose to prevent it from crystallizing.

Alternatively, you add some invertase to a fondant (enzyme to break down sucrose), and a few days or weeks later you've got a liquid-filled cherry cordial.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Haifisch posted:

Serves six, as long as people are okay with getting fractions of a taco pasta shell.

Four of the shells shrink into nonexistence in the baking process. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's something I'd do at home but wouldn't expect at a restaurant. Mostly because bongs are involved in my culinary decisions.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Next week on I Married a Chupacabra

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Brawnfire posted:

That's something I'd do at home but wouldn't expect at a restaurant. Mostly because bongs are involved in my culinary decisions.

Pot is legal in Washington, and stoner food has been a restaurant trend for a while.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I know someone who has a business in NY now where she puts on edible weed parties. Basically she comes to your house and serves up a multi-course meal over an evening, with each course having an appropriate amount of weed in it to get everyone pleasantly high.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.omaha.com/news/public-s...346cd65e88.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theonion.com/hellmann-s-introduces-new-meat-on-the-bottom-mayo-cups-1819580068

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

It's funny how the literal onion article isn't even in the top 50 worst things in this thread.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Onion or not, I'd believe it. My grocery store does a blind taste test between brand and store brand stuff sometimes. A while back they did one for mayo.

They were serving it in little sample cups with a carrot stick. This is what management had decided was the best way to sample mayonnaise. People took samples and then brought them back because they hadn't realised it was just a cup of mayo.

Eventually the girl serving cups of mayo managed to convince a manager to give her some bread. Eventually.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1017415111198195712

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1017843741187624962

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wouldn't think to use tomato juice to drown the sandworm for its water of life but it's not a bad idea.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

THE SMIUNG DOLPHIN

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh yeah. Penile subincision. I think I saw a Vice special on it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Facebook Aunt posted:

THE SMIUNG DOLPHIN

Improper kerning makes a fool of us all, Clint.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
“Cover everything that is left under an island of mayonnaise” sounds like the frenzied scream of a terrible sorcerer as he annihilates a civilization that failed to recognize his power.

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alright. That's it. I'm challenging this thread to find a banana more cursed than this because I'm not sure it's possible.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Picnic Princess posted:

Alright. That's it. I'm challenging this thread to find a banana more cursed than this because I'm not sure it's possible.

You got it, pal.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

*eats half a pound of processed salty lunchmeat* it's for my HEALTH

disclaimer: i love salty lunchmeat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Snoo posted:

*eats half a pound of processed salty lunchmeat* it's for my HEALTH

disclaimer: i love salty lunchmeat

Salt is typically only a problem if you have high blood pressure, and I'm sure someone who eats nothing but processed meats and condiments doesn't have any health problems like that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Never forget the low carb thread.

quote:

The white bits are solidified fat.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

Never forget the low carb thread.

quote:

The white bits are solidified fat.

Is dry heaving a flavour profile?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tashilicious posted:

Is dry heaving a flavour profile?

We call it Arby's.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AlbieQuirky posted:

We call it Arby's.

Shut your mouth, I will not hear you call curly fries a dry heave

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Salt is typically only a problem if you have high blood pressure, and I'm sure someone who eats nothing but processed meats and condiments doesn't have any health problems like that

:hmmyes:

trust me, i love salt

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

When I was a kid I decided to make a "fancy drink" out of whatever juice was in the fridge and garnished it with a whole banana that had a sprig of mint shoved into it. It did not look half as terrible as this thing, and as I recall, was actually drinkable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dilb posted:

Alternatively, you add some invertase to a fondant (enzyme to break down sucrose), and a few days or weeks later you've got a liquid-filled cherry cordial.

Now I'm gonna have to make my own cherry cordials.