Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Anya posted:

It historically works, but I've plunged a lot more in the last 10 months than I have in the last 10 years. Previous owners did a full bathroom remodel about 4 months before we bought, so I don't know if that may have caused these issues or not. When I hit the flusher knob, sometimes you have to really hold it down to make sure everything flushes, and sometimes it feels like it's a short refill of the upper tank.

Thanks for the advice and for the person that suggested the carcobirum or whatever the mold killer was? Basement smells perfect and no mold issues.

Sounds like your flapper may be at fault. Pull the tank lid off and watch it flush. The flapper shouldn't drop back down to seal the water outlet until the water level drops down to the top of it. If it's closing before then, it may have lost its air bubble or whatever mechamism that keeps it bouyant while flushing. Replacement flappers are like $5-$10 so I would just replace it and see if that solves your issue.

They go bad and lose their seal every once in a while anyway so replacing it is never a bad idea. I like the soft silicone ones that cone with the plastic ring you seal to the tank outlet. I've used them twice now to replace slow leaking flappers and have been very happy with them. I think they'll last longer than the old hard rubber/plastic style.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anya posted:

Thanks for the advice and for the person that suggested the carcobirum or whatever the mold killer was? Basement smells perfect and no mold issues.
Concrobium! I feel like they owe me money for how often I've pushed their product, but it's amazing how many people attempt to treat mold problems with bleach.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

How hard is it to pull out dishwashers? I assume it's harder than pulling out ovens.

Not very. If you have some sort of stone countertop it's probably not even attached. If it is, just open the door and look up under the cabinet. It's usually 2 screws on tabs.

Once those are out you just gently pull it out. Usually using the door to get it started/past the cabinet. Once it's out you're going to have hoses and a power connection. The power may be hardwired or it may be to an outlet depending on jurisdiction and install choices.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Leperflesh posted:

Concrobium! I feel like they owe me money for how often I've pushed their product, but it's amazing how many people attempt to treat mold problems with bleach.

yeah, it is good stuff

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

"It gets rid of the mold I can see, and if I can't see it then there's not any more there. :downs:"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
After a week of fighting with a crappy Genie screw drive garage opener I picked up a belt drive model to replace it with.
Really not looking forward to installing it in a hot garage while it's 110 degrees outside!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Good tip: If you replace any plumbing valves for your sink or shower, run the water afterwards with any spout or showerhead removed. poo poo gets loose in the pipes and valve body and clogs them up afterwards. I was wondering what the hell was wrong with my shower this morning after replacing the diverter valve yesterday and it was a simple case of there being some particulate in the showerhead mesh filter. Now I'm back to my 85 PSI showers :getin:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm an rear end in a top hat. I just pulled down a 25' x 10' alluminum awning off our front porch and the original owner had it mega super ultra glued to the fascia trim pieces. When I ripped it down I pulled off half the trim. About to have a downpour later and home depot doesbt sell metal sheets to build new trim. Gonna have to try and reshape and unglue the old stuff

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

canyoneer posted:

After a week of fighting with a crappy Genie screw drive garage opener I picked up a belt drive model to replace it with.
Really not looking forward to installing it in a hot garage while it's 110 degrees outside!

I did some plumbing in my attic at 5am after letting the attic fan run all night since by 10am it was 125F up there.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My trick is to have a leaky AC vent pump cold air into my attic :cheers:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Investigated a wobbly fan today and it turns out that one of the previous owners installed it with a lighting box just kind of wedged into the drywall :negative:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Hey everyone, don't be part of an HOA. Especially one that refuses to acknowledge the existence of heat. Grass must be green despite 45 days of no rain and 80-90 degree temperatures, and AC units are not allowed due to the noise.

Fuuuuuuuck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Hey everyone, don't be part of an HOA. Especially one that refuses to acknowledge the existence of heat. Grass must be green despite 45 days of no rain and 80-90 degree temperatures, and AC units are not allowed due to the noise.

Fuuuuuuuck.

I'm no lawyer, but that might actually be illegal? Like, people die due to lack of air conditioning. Maybe not in 90-degree temperatures, but in 100-degree, sure.

And the grass poo poo is just dumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fuuuuuuuck.

Sue the gently caress out of them and make millions.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fuuuuuuuck.

Get one of those indoor units that vents outside through a tube. You can stick the tube out of a cracked window, or through a dedicated venting hole on the side of the house (like you would see a dryer vent, or stove vent). I rented in an HOA complex that didn't allow window AC units because of ~Aesthetics~ and people that needed to supplement their old and lovely central AC used those. They work pretty well and I plan to eventually put one in my garage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm no lawyer, but that might actually be illegal? Like, people die due to lack of air conditioning. Maybe not in 90-degree temperatures, but in 100-degree, sure.

And the grass poo poo is just dumb.

Cities also have watering laws that restrict how much you can water during the week

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fuuuuuuuck.

Grass needs at least 1/2" (preferably 1") of water a week, so I hope you don't live somewhere with water use restrictions.

Alternatively (and I can't believe this is a real product):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6lTl9JIW5Y

I bet the HOA won't let you xeriscape either, huh?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I never would have known. I did the correct ratio for bleach/water the first night, but then sent my husband out to grab a big industrial fan and a ton of the spray bottles. Each bottle covered a surprising amount of area, and when my mom came down that weekend, she was impressed by the complete lack of smell. I'm a believer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My HOA has grass rules but the 3 weeks between cuts I tend to leave has informed me that they don't enforce them. Grass is stupid and I don't give a gently caress if it's 3 inches long.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Shaggy grass is great and takes less water to maintain. Sure it looks great with a Howie Long haircut but water is precious.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Rip up your grass and replace it with clover.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I moved in about 2 months ago and haven't watered my lawn since. It has rained a few times and that's about it. Grass is still green and growing.

The only thing I could think of is morning dew.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My grass was green until I went on a 4 day vacation and my landscaper fertilized the first day gone. Been trying to restore it's former glory since. Unfortunately we're now in a restricted use state because of a pump failure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sepist posted:

My grass was green until I went on a 4 day vacation and my landscaper fertilized the first day gone. Been trying to restore it's former glory since. Unfortunately we're now in a restricted use state because of a pump failure.

Does your hardware store not sell paint?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I need to replace a few faucets in the garden, and need to turn off the main water valve. I can't seem to locate it though. I checked the exterior of the house and the only thing I found was this white thing (to the right):

Am I looking at the right thing or is that something else? If it is the right thing, how do I turn it off?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My water shut off valve is underground at the street where there is a metal panel I open up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That's a cleanout pipe, I wouldn't open it.

Your water shut-off could be buried under those rocks somewhere. Mine was directly under one of my exterior spigots like the one pictured on the left.

I dug up mine and the drat thing was rusted completely open. So I just used the city water cutoff at the street. Yours should be within a couple feet of the street.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Any disadvantage to using the city shutoff over your own? My personal valve is also broken.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Not that I'm aware of and I do it all the time. My house is old enough that it has basically no internal shutoff valves for anything :thumbsup:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

That's a cleanout pipe, I wouldn't open it.

Your water shut-off could be buried under those rocks somewhere. Mine was directly under one of my exterior spigots like the one pictured on the left.

I dug up mine and the drat thing was rusted completely open. So I just used the city water cutoff at the street. Yours should be within a couple feet of the street.

I walked within a couple of feet of the street and all I have is grass, and then pavement. No panels or hatches or anything like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Water shut-off could be as far as the sidewalk. Look for a concrete rectangle with an acronym that stands for your water dept. and a little hole that lets you pull up the cover.

e. As in, in the middle of the sidewalk

If you still can't find it, call your water provider, they should be able to locate it for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess this is not a place that gets winter.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Water shut-off could be as far as the sidewalk. Look for a concrete rectangle with an acronym that stands for your water dept. and a little hole that lets you pull up the cover.

e. As in, in the middle of the sidewalk

If you still can't find it, call your water provider, they should be able to locate it for you.

OK, I found a metal hatch underneath some foliage. It's pretty heavy though and I couldn't find a handle to lift it.

I guess I'm hosed huh?

Man, all I need to do is replace a god drat garden faucet that has rusted due to PO's neglect.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

OK, I found a metal hatch underneath some foliage. It's pretty heavy though and I couldn't find a handle to lift it.

I guess I'm hosed huh?

Man, all I need to do is replace a god drat garden faucet that has rusted due to PO's neglect.

There is probably a small rectangle hole in it, use a screwdriver to leverage it up via that hole.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And there's a good chance the shut-off valve inside requires a beefy wrench to turn it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My hatch has no holes. I have to use a flat head to pry it up from the side. I also needed to dig out the shutoff as it was buried by dirt, leaves, and spiders. However, mine turned freely. They make a special long tool you can get for like $10 at any hardware store to easily turn it.

They all look like this
LASCO 13-2500 1/2-Inch by 26-Inch Long Metal Light Pattern Tee Handle Meter Wrench https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083GC9GG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YF3tBb34NXDJS

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orrr, as a homeowner, you should probably own a pipe wrench anyway, and it'll work albeit not as perfectly but also be a tool you'll be using for other tasks. But yeah that $10 thing is what the water company uses when you stop paying your bills long enough to get your water shut off.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This looks like it

I seem to share it with the neighbor though because I couldn't find any hatches on their lot.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There’s no way I’m paying town water rates to keep my lawn green, it can deal.

God help us we are moving forward with our home addition/master bath/closet remodel idea, we sent off the initial design retainer and we’ll sit down with him next week to fully go over our ideas/priorities.

The wife and I spent some time last week thinking through all the details and came to a general agreement on vision, and some specific notes on each area and what we wanted to do. If we pull this off right, we’ll gain a bonus room second level that will count as a bedroom (closet and half bath), then on the main level a larger pantry and a giant laundry/utilities/gun safe/storage/fridge/freezer space. Plus extra space in the garage from moving utilities/deep freezer out. And a brand new master bath and walk-in.

Our HVAC is original to the house and since we’d need to do a redesign anyways for the 2nd level addition, might as well replace it with a high efficiency unit in the new space and get some garage space back.

We love our house, location, neighborhood, and town. I have a 20 minute commute and she has a 10 minute one, we have it pretty good on that front. We just need a little bit more space for our family and we can live here for a long time.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

No Butt Stuff posted:

My HOA has grass rules but the 3 weeks between cuts I tend to leave has informed me that they don't enforce them. Grass is stupid and I don't give a gently caress if it's 3 inches long.

3 inches after growing for a few weeks? poo poo, I cut mine to 4" and it probably gets a good 6" before I cut, sometimes longer is certain areas. My side yard is well shaded and in mid summer it outgrows the rest of the lawn by a wide margin, but gently caress just mowing a section.