Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Speaking of, I watched the video above in bed last night and I was really blown away by what a masterpiece Dead Rising 1 is. If I hadn't already platinumed it on the 360 all those years ago (this was a motherfucker of a plat to get but every 'chieve unlocked an item so that was cool) I'd play it again.

My takeaway watching the video is Dead Rising is capcom's best Metal Gear Solid game. It's Hideo Kojima levels of obsessiveness how many mechanics and interractions there are in this game. I kinda wish I hadn't played it so much back in the day.

It is MUCH EASIER to plat DR1 now when you know what you're doing. Start by getting the buster first then get the survival achievements last (pausing and putting the console on standby lets you do it in sections instead of one sitting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Quantum of Phallus posted:

smh if you didn't store away some Yakuza games for the pre-Spider-Man drought

are you suggesting to not play them immediately upon release? gently caress you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Are there games coming out i feel bored

Who else is playing Sonic Mania Plus with me tomorrow :unsmith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

are you suggesting to not play them immediately upon release? gently caress you

Remember when 6 came out three days before God of War :greenangel:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

smh if you didn't store away some Yakuza games for the pre-Spider-Man drought

Literally the reason I bought Yakuza 0 soon as it became a Greatest Hit. Didn't want to get caught up in something too long and involved before September rolls around.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Super Mario Dod Hyssey

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

beep by grandpa posted:

DOOM 2016 gives me a familiar feeling I felt only playing METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE where every mechanic in the game pushes you to be offensive as gently caress as your primary source of defense and that is so insanely badass in a high action game they just draw me in like crazy.

I can't deny that Reveangence has way more style and cool aesthetics but I felt that Bayo was much more dynamic and - not a plus for everyone - punishing. It felt like DevilMayCry on even more steroids(and also estrogen)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

It's summer good games don't come out until the tail end of it

Yeah summer is a great chance to par down your backlog.

We can't have good releases every month.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah in this drought's defense, I was able to play The Last Of Us, God of War and HZD for the first time so that's been nice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every man's dream is to marry a woman that looks exactly like him.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

I can't deny that Reveangence has way more style and cool aesthetics but I felt that Bayo was much more dynamic and - not a plus for everyone - punishing. It felt like DevilMayCry on even more steroids(and also estrogen)

Mgr is imo way more fun but i can say its better than bayo considering how loving awful the camera is

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I learned last week that the latest model Raspberry Pi can accurately emulate PSX games and then put one together over the weekend. Looks like I'm gonna spend the summer reliving 1996-1998 and surfacing for some occasional Witcher 3

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

acksplode posted:

I learned last week that the latest model Raspberry Pi can accurately emulate PSX games and then put one together over the weekend. Looks like I'm gonna spend the summer reliving 1996-1998 and surfacing for some occasional Witcher 3

It's a really fun experience too. I liked picking out a little case for it and finding a good controller and then going around picking up the games from different sites. It's like a hobbyist thing and way more fun than just downloading Retroarch and running it on my PC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even though I almost never play PSX games or my Vita anymore it's the main reason I can't part with it. Once in a while I'll just play one for 45 minutes for that nostalgia wave.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Did it assimilate an existing install of the first game?

I don't believe so. Hitman itself is in a different folder and listed at 56 GB (or thereabouts). The Sniper Assassin standalone says it's 41 on it's own. I have enough space; I'm mainly just curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Policenaut posted:

It's a really fun experience too. I liked picking out a little case for it and finding a good controller and then going around picking up the games from different sites. It's like a hobbyist thing and way more fun than just downloading Retroarch and running it on my PC.

Yeah I had a blast with it, RetroPie is so good and easy. I got an imitation SNES case and 8BITDO SNES pad w/ analog sticks, so now I have a heavily overachieving SNES Classic. It's really satisfying to see this tiny thing run Tenchu 2 with no apparent flaws.

veni veni veni posted:

Even though I almost never play PSX games or my Vita anymore it's the main reason I can't part with it. Once in a while I'll just play one for 45 minutes for that nostalgia wave.
I wasn't planning on seriously replaying stuff but then I got sucked into Final Fantasy Tactics for a couple hours. I never finished that or FF8 or Brave Fencer Musashi, I'm due for a MGS1 replay, I never tried Armored Core, or Xenogears, it'd be nice to play RE2 again before the remake drops, come to think of it I never played RE3, Symphony of the Night is still the best metroidvania ever made, Bushido Blade 2 still whips, Legend of Mana might be cool to try. Hooray, I have a whole new backlog!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was it Bushido Blade 1 or 2 that had that huge rear end level you could play vs? You'd just run around for like 15 minutes trying to stab your buddies and everyone chasing each other. It was awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

veni veni veni posted:

Was it Bushido Blade 1 or 2 that had that huge rear end level you could play vs? You'd just run around for like 15 minutes trying to stab your buddies and everyone chasing each other. It was awesome.

1 is a better game overall but 2 has more/some whackier characters. Both let you run around but 1 has some larger areas and you can break more limbs and such which change how the characters control.

Having a Pi is awesome, we went from having all of our old systems hooked up at once to basically the Pi and the PS4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timotheous Venture posted:

I don't believe so. Hitman itself is in a different folder and listed at 56 GB (or thereabouts). The Sniper Assassin standalone says it's 41 on it's own. I have enough space; I'm mainly just curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

Maybe it's a placeholder for the full game. Sniper Assassin is reserving a seat for its buddy who is gonna be here in five minutes, ok?

"You said that five minutes ago!"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo I forgot how ridiculous Sephiroth's Supernova attack was in FF7

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Platinum Games' Granblue Fantasy game is getting localized. No big new announcements about it though until December.

Here's a gameplay trailer from a little while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odAeEqQTIrU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Over There posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot how ridiculous Sephiroth's Supernova attack was in FF7

If you didn’t piss/poo poo yourself as a child when you first saw him do that I dunno what to say

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFgaatXuRc

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If you didn’t piss/poo poo yourself as a child when you first saw him do that I dunno what to say

goddammit I'm old :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think I got bored and quit ff7 after the first boss when I was a kid

farthest I ever got in a mainline final fantasy is 9. almost beat that one

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I beat ruby weapon using a strat of my own design, a rubberband and going to church for an hour.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I used to piss/poo poo myself as a child over Silent Hill 1.

I still do, but I also used to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Instant Grat posted:

Video games are art now, motherfuckers

quote:

i got this new anime plot. basically there's this high school girl except she's got huge boobs. i mean some serious honkers. a real set of badonkers. packin some dobonhonkeros. massive dohoonkabhankoloos. big ol' tonhongerekoogers. what happens next?! transfer student shows up with even bigger bonkhonagahoogs. humongous hungolomghononoloughongous.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

That was 1, it even had loading screens, which was nuts. You didn’t so much pick a stage in that game in versus picking where you started off.

It also had insane requirements to get the best endings. You had to run from the first set of fights, jump in a well, fight honorably through the entire game and every boss, and take zero damage. There were “OK” endings for doing that all while getting hurt, but the good ones are almost impossible to get.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Finished NieR:A and there's a hole in my heart now . I don't know what to play

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

goferchan posted:

Finished NieR:A and there's a hole in my heart now . I don't know what to play

Nier on PS3!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like devs trying to chip away at excessive HUDs in games is a good thing, but AC: Origins' lack of minimap is mostly annoying. Or at the very least there should be better indicator of when you're walking into a hostile base. Often there is zero indication of an area being hostile until you've stumbled into it and it seems to happen way too often when I'm trying to just get from point A to B.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:same:

I actually played 3 endings into Drakengard and went for this before I take the plunge into Nier:A and it is totally worth it. Such a weird, fun thing, and I haven’t even finished the first loop yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I played it on 360 back at release :unsmith: definitely wasn't necessary for this game but made it all the more special to me. I will definitely never play it again either lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Don't torture someone like this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyway I got God Of War with that 25% off discount and i'm checking it out. I get open world fatigue really easy but right now I'm in the stranger fight and it's pretty sick -- this isn't my usual style of game and I don't have super high expectations but the combat is really fun so far

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

Anyway I got God Of War with that 25% off discount and i'm checking it out. I get open world fatigue really easy but right now I'm in the stranger fight and it's pretty sick -- this isn't my usual style of game and I don't have super high expectations but the combat is really fun so far

Imo God of War is a game that will only test your open world fatigue if you actively seek it out. It's a pretty streamlined experience that gives you the option to go off the beaten path if you want but it's in no way required. If you stick to the main quest you are pretty much in Naughty Dog territory. Some of the side stuff like the dwarf quests are really good though and I wouldn't recommend skipping them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I still havent played yakuza 4 which i bought

Also 90% of sidequests from yakuza 3

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

god of war isn't an ubisoft game. it's pretty dense with content but none of it feels superfluous to the story of kratos and atreus imo; it's all tied into the narrative of them bonding as father and son. they put an impressive amount of effort into making sure they always have something to talk about when you're just traveling somewhere in the boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

god of war isn't an ubisoft game. it's pretty dense with content but none of it feels superfluous to the story of kratos and atreus imo; it's all tied into the narrative of them bonding as father and son. they put an impressive amount of effort into making sure they always have something to talk about when you're just traveling somewhere in the boat

We don't talk about the boat