Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/nito563/status/1017679831339634690
https://twitter.com/nito563/status/1015104260495663104
https://twitter.com/nito563/status/1012171122756935680

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Have any of you nerds played that fangame that just came out on Steam, Scarlet Curiosity? Is it good?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Isn't it by the same people who did That Youmu Game, aka Memory Leak: The Game?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That's the Ys-like game right? I tried to play it on my laptop a while back but it couldn't run it all that great so I guess it's slightly hardware demanding.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

iospace posted:

Isn't it by the same people who did That Youmu Game, aka Memory Leak: The Game?
Apparently, yeah. I never played that one, but people said it was alright. Maybe I'll give this one a shot and report back.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, some joker put a curse on the OP. Is there like a Touhou goon Discord that I don't know about, or does this unendurable abuse that Clarste keeps lamenting on his blog all come from the FMW crew?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's private and for friends. It's not a public one.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Okay, cripes. It's hard to know what's around without an OP. No need to bite my head off.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I wasn't? I was just bein' straightforward, dogg.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Discworld Gods were kinda along that line, only more in the classical definition of 'They're ordinary people with superpowers. Unsurprisingly, they're complete asswads'.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also the god of a financial crash that happened before most of his players were born.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Still very lovable

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I'm playing labyrinth of touhou 2 right now and it is pretty much the coolest game ever

since the op is useless are there any other touhou games of similar or better quality? fanmade or official, either is fine by me

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

I'm playing labyrinth of touhou 2 right now and it is pretty much the coolest game ever

since the op is useless are there any other touhou games of similar or better quality? fanmade or official, either is fine by me

Touhou Koumajou 1 & 2 are probably worth checking out, especially the second. Old school Castlevania-esque gameplay and the art's pretty good too, adds a Castlevania-style aesthetic to the character designs. Also the second has pretty good voice work.

Argent Cinereus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 16, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Genius of Sappheiros is another good Touhou RPG. The battle system isn't quite like any other game, but the kinds of decisions you have to make remind me of Etrian Odyssey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Charlie Bobson posted:

fantasy maiden wars. best boss battles in the entire srpg genre, also the only srpg ever to get these things right. also tons of variety between playable units. first game is a little slow since you only have 9 characters total so there's no choice, and a lot of the best features arent introduced yet, but the boss battles are still interesting challenges and it's only like 12 stages long.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I could fix the op

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

Incidentally, Labyrinth of Touhou 2 probably wins the award for "best soundtrack that's taken entirely from a royalty free music library."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Argent Cinereus posted:

Touhou Koumajou 1 & 2 are probably worth checking out, especially the second. Old school Castlevania-esque gameplay and the art's pretty good too, adds a Castlevania-style aesthetic to the character designs. Also the second has pretty good voice work.

Touhouvania 1 is aesthetically incredible, and then they forgot to make a good game. Touhouvania 2 is closer to being good, but instead of copying Symphony of the Night, they opted for Touhouvania 1 with a bad Alucard. Sakuya is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, though, so that makes up for it a lot.

I love those games too, but they pulled an I Am Setsuna and forgot the charm in the details.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I thought Genius of Sappherios was kinda tedious and had some patently absurd dungeon layouts, but it is quite pretty and well presented.

I'm partial to Suwako Chan Cubic when recommending touhou fangames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1lQ0R6-suk

It's a shmup game, sort of like the usual 2d shooters. Except you can jump! Stages and bullet patterns have elements of verticality to them, it gives the game a pretty unique take on the genre that I enjoyed quite a lot. Completely plot-less though, look elsewhere if you want a story instead of dodging glowspheres. I think it's one of the like, very few games that actually has a good take on "danmaku but 3D!!!" that is so often attempted but very rarely done well.

i really liked labyrinth of touhou 1 even though it's technically guilty of all the things I just levelled at Genius of Sappherios purely because I enjoyed the battle system so much but I neglected to play the second game for a really long time but man those games are long.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 17, 2018

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Charlie Bobson posted:

it's old and I like to stick with bullet hell, so shoot the bullet is super good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a86AzMcx7g

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I could fix the op
The long-awaited 6.3rd Touhou Thread.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Genius of Sappherios: Do you like Mokou? Then this is the game for you, as Mokou bashes every other Touhou character into the dirt.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i will only fix the op when something funny rolls around.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

until then

https://twitter.com/moiwool/status/1018990884304506880?s=21

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
It makes me really happy how the touhou fangame community seems to be this weird Mecca for fun and innovative jrpg design

Like labyrinth of touhou is so insanely creative, and has all of these super weird and unique characters smooshed into the atb system, has a very detailed and complex skill and progression system with unique skills for every character in the game, really fun and challenging boss encounters that all have their own gimmick to play and plan around. It has good art, good music (that is somehow apparently entirely ripped from a royalty free music library, which is my favorite thing ever) and good and fun dungeon design in addition to everything I already said. It is fun and great and addictive and detailed and I played it for like 15 hours in 2 days and from spoiling myself silly on the wiki it looks like the game is fuckin loaded with content too. I absolutely love it.

Then I check to see if there are more games half as cool as this one, and people come up with like 3 more reccomendations off the top of their head and say things like "this game has the best and most creative boss battles in any srpg ever."

This a phone post and very much a poorly written ramble so I apologize, but I just think this is so phenomenally cool I just wanted to share these emotions with y'all

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

And no mention yet of Megamari, Trap Tower, Touhoumon, Nitorinc, or Touhou Mother.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

It makes me really happy how the touhou fangame community seems to be this weird Mecca for fun and innovative jrpg design
The fact that these games pass for innovative says more about the miserable state of the art of RPG design than anything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The fact that these games pass for innovative says more about the miserable state of the art of RPG design than anything else.
... no, not really? a lot of these games do have legitimately interesting ideas, and being fan games blending a niche genre (bullet hell) with what's usually another niche genre (super robot wars style SRPGs, wizardry style dungeon crawlers) naturally leads to invention.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

... no, not really? a lot of these games do have legitimately interesting ideas, and being fan games blending a niche genre (bullet hell) with what's usually another niche genre (super robot wars style SRPGs, wizardry style dungeon crawlers) naturally leads to invention.

FMW is a case where I actually agree with the source material it is based on being creatively bankrupt right now. I love SRW to death, but the gameplay of the franchise is horribly stale and they seem allergic to actual innovation or experimentation; every time they try a new and unique gameplay system it generally gets ignored or walked back in future entries instead of iterated upon. Meanwhile, FMW is a wonderful shot of fun, creativity, and challenge into virtually the exact same gameplay framework as SRW, adding actual tactical concerns and a plethora of awesome and unique boss gimmicks to a source franchise whose bosses are typically giant sacks of HP and nothing else. From a purely game design perspective, I think FMW makes SRW look utterly pathetic at this point in time.

Other than that, I agree with you. Labyrinth 2 is a wonderful game(and my favorite Touhou fangame!), but I don't think it blows the modern Etrian Odyssey games out of the water; it's creative and it's great but it's not really superior in my eyes. Similarly, I don't think popular Touhou fangames like Genius of Sappheiros or Devil of Decline make professionally made JRPGs look bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The issue is that SRW fundamentally isn't a gameplay-focused franchise. The gameplay just exists to make animations and plot happen. They've tried more gameplay-focused titles and they've sold like garbage for a number of reasons, some unrelated to that innovation, but they've still sold like garbage. And as development costs increases and interest in mecha fades, SRW becomes a less and less sustainable franchise. I don't think I'd really call it 'creatively bankrupt,' just, literally bankrupt.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Honestly I feel like "Etrian Odyssey but from an isometric perspective with hyper specialized characters, and combat revolves around 90% of your team being made of tissue paper and you cycling through your entire 12 person party to try and maintain a semi-coherent front line, while also managing the debuffs, mp, and hp of the entire team (also all but 1 of your characters are adorable anime girls)" would be a fun and interesting idea even in a perfect world where every game that came out was a perfect bastion of creativity and game design.

Also it's not like the JRPGs being made recently are boring, they still have cool ideas like Bravely Default treating turns as just another resource like MP or HP, or Xenoblade 2's weird impossible to describe combat system. Even games with more traditional combat systems like the Trails series are miles more playable than anything released before like 2000.

I think that it's really neat that this little indie fan game passion project that tries so many new things even exists, much less actually pull it all together to become an actually good videogame. Labyrinth of Touhou 2 could probably suck poo poo mechanically and I'd probably still admire it for the work and energy and love that was clearly poured into the game. The fact that this isn't some weird fluke of nature, that Labyrinth 2 isn't the only good game to come out of the Touhou community, and that there are more games like this out there is very exciting for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, a lot of others are basically just reskins of other popular games, like how Touhou Puppet Dance Performance is literally just Pokemon right down the individual skills and damage calculations. And everyone just calls it Touhoumon. Although it does have a few quality of life improvements over the actual Pokemon games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

The issue is that SRW fundamentally isn't a gameplay-focused franchise. The gameplay just exists to make animations and plot happen. They've tried more gameplay-focused titles and they've sold like garbage for a number of reasons, some unrelated to that innovation, but they've still sold like garbage. And as development costs increases and interest in mecha fades, SRW becomes a less and less sustainable franchise. I don't think I'd really call it 'creatively bankrupt,' just, literally bankrupt.

The very few gameplay-focused titles in the main SRW franchise they've attempted have used garbage-level 3D graphics and are visually repugnant(and I say that as somebody who loves Neo). They were also all released solely on the consoles that the "mainline" SRW series for that console generation weren't being released on, such as Neo being released as a Wii-only release when mainline SRW Z series was being released on the PS2 and PSP, or GC being released in the middle of the PS2 SRW boom that saw games like MX, Alpha 2, and Alpha 3. I would argue that if SRW focused more on actually being a good game with strong fundamentals that stands on its own instead of leaning so heavily on fanboy appeal, it might become more sustainable instead of less, because it might find an audience of SRPG fans beyond the waning population of mecha fanboys who buy it for prettily animated fanfiction.

Basically they should consider hiring Sanbondo.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 18, 2018

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Check this: add touhous to regular srw games

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Also FMW

is good

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nages posted:

Check this: add touhous to regular srw games

I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012