Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also in my ToA game, another one of the players is a jerk. So as I said, one of the corridors is blocked by a big fan. If you run, you can dive through it while it spins up with a DC 20 athletics check (it might have been acrobatics, I forget). This check would have been a risk for someone proficient, but for this guy, the warlock, it would have been suicidal. I am frank with him: if you attempt this check, it is very likely you'll end up smeared on a wall of the other side. He attempts it anyway and he rolls digitally. Lo and behold, he makes it!

After the game, and more importantly after he left, another player sitting next to him says to me that he saw the warlock fudge his rolls. Just silently rolled a couple times until he got a favorable result. I found this extremely disappointing, but not surprising. This player has that reputation. I don't generally care that people roll dice digitally; everyone else just silently shames them when it becomes increasingly obvious they're fudging their rolls.

The next session on though, if a character's life is on the line, they're rolling a physical die where I can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That's some "gotta let him play, this is america" poo poo... would you play with someone who used sleight of hand to improve his hand during a poker game? Like, I'm laughing at how brazen it is, but it's pretty clear to me he can't come back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So you all sit around a table, some people roll physical dice, and some people tell you they rolled on their laptop and here's the result? But not on a server like roll20 where you can see their rolling?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

tote up a bags posted:

3d6 is cowardice, embrace accidentally stabbing your friendly NPC after crit missing, namaste.

Also I DM for the first time tomorrow, but it's session 0 so we're rolling characters.
I decided to do standard array because I want to encourage players to care about what they can do and narratives over big numbers.
I also asked them to design a character based on what they want to do/the personality they want to play rather than a mechanical class, and we're going to talk these over and then pick a class for each player based on their ideas and my suggestions.

Any other ideas for session 0 for new players? (And a few experienced players through they promised me they will be well behaved)

In my experience, most new players try to make some sort of idealized version of themselves (or a part of themselves), and their personality tends to be "what I would do".
Here's my personal advice. A Fiasco style way to group the players. Tell Player 1 he owes a favor to Player 2 and ask why and what happened. Tell Player 3 that he once saved Player 1's rear end, and have them explain what happened. That sort of thing. It makes those weak "why would we even be doing this" or "why would I even help this guy" questions erode immediately.
http://slyflourish.com/fiasco_relationships.html

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 16, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's some "gotta let him play, this is america" poo poo...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've been very cavalier with how players roll since ultimately I want them to have some casual fun. I don't like to press suspicious rolls since I'm a wuss even if they're perfect rollers I can generally find a way to spin an interesting situation out of it and only two of them do it out of 5. They use a rolling app on a tablet and both of them roll suspiciously well. I've learned since the last session that the stakes in this ultra deadly tomb are too high to just casually fudge rolls. I'm going to start to enforce a roll where I can see it policy to emphasize how high the stakes really are.

The same player above does this really stupid thing with physical dice too: He'll roll and then pick up the die real fast then read out the number. Absolutely no one is fooled by that move and we have called him out on that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Haha what a piece of crap

Tell him if he keeps it up you'll roll for him since he can't do something a three year old can

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

mastershakeman posted:

So you all sit around a table, some people roll physical dice, and some people tell you they rolled on their laptop and here's the result? But not on a server like roll20 where you can see their rolling?

I use Fight Club for AL sometimes and roll on there or use a different dice app for big spell damage rolls. I’m not a shithead so my DM doesn’t care if I roll there then say the result.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reik posted:

The only real way to get away from the binary result of a check would be a dice pool with different levels of success and failure, like the Genesys system.
That's what I meant about 3d6 being a good thing to design around, since you have a bunch more channels of information to work with. Doubles, triples, individual die results etc. Obviously nothing compared to what you can do with FFG dice but still a lot more potential channels of information than a single number between 1 and 20

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Haha what a piece of crap

Tell him if he keeps it up you'll roll for him since he can't do something a three year old can

He's one of those 'he's an rear end in a top hat but he's our rear end in a top hat' types except no one will actually claim him. We've all been friends for a very long time and status quo is too great to shake up and boot him or I would have. It wouldn't be the first time we had to give someone the boot but the need has to be extreme.

Point is, I've already implemented the dice policy that looking at my texts, it's proving unpopular with 40% of my players but they'll get over it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

I've been very cavalier with how players roll since ultimately I want them to have some casual fun. I don't like to press suspicious rolls since I'm a wuss even if they're perfect rollers I can generally find a way to spin an interesting situation out of it and only two of them do it out of 5. They use a rolling app on a tablet and both of them roll suspiciously well. I've learned since the last session that the stakes in this ultra deadly tomb are too high to just casually fudge rolls. I'm going to start to enforce a roll where I can see it policy to emphasize how high the stakes really are.

The same player above does this really stupid thing with physical dice too: He'll roll and then pick up the die real fast then read out the number. Absolutely no one is fooled by that move and we have called him out on that.
Get a dice tower and institute a table rule of "If I didn't see it it's my roll now". They have to reroll and you get to use the good number later.

Or stop playing with particularly poorly behaved children whichever works.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"You do all rolls in front of the table, anything else and it never happened." is a core rule I'm explaining in session 0.
As is "you can borrow my real dice, digital rolling sucks"

edit: Disclaimer: I am digitally rolling because I'm the DM and I'm a hypocrite

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
For a different take, I would emphasize how much more fun rolling physical dice than digital ones. I'd let those players with the tablets use my dice if they needed to. Roll in the center of the table, and tell everyone it's for drama purposes so we can all see the result together.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Explain that you're doing a very specific high lethal module where a bad roll means death , and fudging rolls is often ok in other settings but if you're going to in toa then there's no point in playing the module . Therefore, all rolls will only happen when dm requests them (to keep people from doing the classic roll , see if it's good, and "keep" it for when their turn comes up)

Option a: do physical rolling and don't touch the die until I, the dm , sees the number. If you pick it up I'll roll for you
Option b: do online rolling on roll20 that logs the time you rolled and I can verify if I want

There's nothing wrong with digital rolling since it's way faster for large numbers of dice. Just need to have it shown

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

mastershakeman posted:

Explain that you're doing a very specific high lethal module where a bad roll means death , and fudging rolls is often ok in other settings
Cheating is cheating no matter what setting you're in.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Elysiume posted:

Cheating is cheating no matter what setting you're in.

lmao how is cheating at dnd at thing, dude this is not a game you win, like dude just let the players do whats fun haha

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tote up a bags posted:

"You do all rolls in front of the table, anything else and it never happened." is a core rule I'm explaining in session 0.
As is "you can borrow my real dice, digital rolling sucks"

edit: Disclaimer: I am digitally rolling because I'm the DM and I'm a hypocrite

Digital rolling allows the DM to make several consecutive rolls faster, more easily make hidden checks without the player knowing, and fudge rolls without anyone noticing (which tbh is part of the DM's job). As much as I like rolling physical dice, using an app makes my life easier as DM.

Also lol what is the point of playing a game if you're just going to cheat your way out of failure every time

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Conspiratiorist posted:

lmao how is cheating at dnd at thing, dude this is not a game you win, like dude just let the players do whats fun haha
If you want your players to just get successes whenever they feel it'd be fun then why are you playing with dice at all?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Conspiratiorist posted:

Peak funhaving right here. That's punk d&d as gently caress, man. I'll never play in that dumb game, though

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

For real though if you can't boot a terrible player like that for whatever reason (in my case he was my buddy's autistic son) just sequester the character in their own private narrative where they get to be totally awesome and free of consequences or meaningful challenge, far away from the rest of the group. Like every half hour or so you turn to that guy and spend a minute going "oooh, ahhh, you really destroyed those evil cyberninjas, all evil will surely fear the name Sasuke Darkblood from now on" and then go back to the group and get on with the real game.

Everybody gets to have fun.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

inthesto posted:

Digital rolling allows the DM to make several consecutive rolls faster, more easily make hidden checks without the player knowing, and fudge rolls without anyone noticing (which tbh is part of the DM's job). As much as I like rolling physical dice, using an app makes my life easier as DM.

Also lol what is the point of playing a game if you're just going to cheat your way out of failure every time

Hmm indeed

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is the argument that you should never fudge rolls as a DM? I'm willing to consider that, but I think there are times where fudging has saved a session from becoming unfun. The only times I've fudged my rolls was to prevent a cheap PK or even cheap TPK. Like, ahhhh I didn't think this dragon hatchling's fire breath would instakill everyone, so I will fudge the damage roll, because the encounter was not meant to be death-dealing. If it's a big climactic fight or something like that, and I feel like I didn't create an unfair situation (or a situation created by poor player choices) then I don't fudge.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, like, I generally don't fudge damage but I will absolutely fudge NPC rolls into failures if that's more interesting or fun. More than once this month alone, I've made a roll, seen the result, thought it through for a second and realised it'd be better for the game if I just ignored that and decided to just go with it being a gently caress-up. Usually it ends up being in combat to ensure a cool idea gets to happen to at least some degree, rather than just being flat ignored wholesale. I don't really ever fudge into a success for an NPC because that's lovely and the situations where that'd be required can just be handwaved away with less hassle anyway.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I very much endorse Fantasy Ground's digital rolling, because you can roll dice (as a player) that only the dm can see, so you don't know your own stealth check or whatever. By default, the dm dicerolls are also hidden.

The important part is that rolling secret dice does the same shadowy animation the dm rolls do, so right after you say "I enter the room", hidden-roll some d20s, one per player, and watch the other players panic, it's great.

Once everyone else figures out what you're doing, stop. The dm will eventually actually do that, and you can watch everyone happily walk into The Biggest Trap (cool kids will also blithely walk to their own destruction, don't ruin the dm's fun)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I mean, it's not exactly controversial that the DM doesn't play the game; they facilitate it. There's times when a throwaway fight unexpectedly pummels the party and times when the big bad flails around uselessly because of consecutive bad rolls. Flipping the hit/miss switch to maintain appropriate levels of dramatic tension is a completely different ballgame than trying to say your character automatically does everything correctly, no matter how improbable.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I'm pretty against DM fudging rolls in either direction, it really makes me lose any tension I have in the game when I know the DM is ok with manipulating his RNG. It means that maybe that time I survived I really should have died, it makes me feel like I am playing with a safety net....which I don't want, even if the DM says they only fudge rolls in NPC favor, never in mine, the psychological effect is the same. It ruins the experience and any worry I might have, and without that apprehension, why would I want to play a game with variance like DND at all?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

inthesto posted:

I mean, it's not exactly controversial that the DM doesn't play the game; they facilitate it. There's times when a throwaway fight unexpectedly pummels the party and times when the big bad flails around uselessly because of consecutive bad rolls. Flipping the hit/miss switch to maintain appropriate levels of dramatic tension is a completely different ballgame than trying to say your character automatically does everything correctly, no matter how improbable.

We just had a discussion about how it's blasphemous that the DM might play with different tools than the players, so I'd put it as fairly controversial.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Another picture from twitter on the new alt covers

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Madmarker posted:

I'm pretty against DM fudging rolls in either direction, it really makes me lose any tension I have in the game when I know the DM is ok with manipulating his RNG. It means that maybe that time I survived I really should have died, it makes me feel like I am playing with a safety net....which I don't want, even if the DM says they only fudge rolls in NPC favor, never in mine, the psychological effect is the same. It ruins the experience and any worry I might have, and without that apprehension, why would I want to play a game with variance like DND at all?

You're not supposed to know he's manipulating his RNG though. If you think he is and you don't like it just say, "Hey can you not?" and he'll either stop doing it, stop doing it when it comes to you specifically, or do a better job of hiding it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

DKWildz posted:

Another picture from twitter on the new alt covers

Box set of the three manuals and screen available at gaming shops, $170 MSRP. Non-special cover box set will be at Amazon etc.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toebone posted:

Box set of the three manuals and screen available at gaming shops, $170 MSRP. Non-special cover box set will be at Amazon etc.

The gently caress. Yeah sure I will buy your bundle of books I already own for $20 more than they cost individually.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd buy the reprint if they compiled the sub-classes and the UA Ranger they are claiming like a step-child into the PHB along with maybe a section on roleplaying explicitly considering the association with podcasts, etc. that do it, I'd re-buy it.
But they can't do that because Adventure League has a stupid "PHB+1" rule

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Firstborn posted:

In my experience, most new players try to make some sort of idealized version of themselves (or a part of themselves), and their personality tends to be "what I would do".

I hear this a lot, and it makes sense, but also, uh, well...

In the first D&D game I ever played my quiet roommate was a stoic warrior, my friend who hunts was a ranger, my friend who makes goofy jokes constantly was a bard, and one of my more ambitious friends was a power hungry warlock. Everything lined up almost perfectly to reflect their real selves.

I played a rogue who was a fast talking con man, but weak and unable to do much in combat.

WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT ME!?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
fudging rolls as a DM is important bc sometimes you think "okay the party is level 1, this 1/4 CR poisonous snake shouldn't be too bad for them" but then you realize mid-combat that it has a 3d6 venomous bite.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I might buy those even though they're a bad deal because I don't actually own physical copies of any of them and goddamn those are pretty.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

CubeTheory posted:

I hear this a lot, and it makes sense, but also, uh, well...

In the first D&D game I ever played my quiet roommate was a stoic warrior, my friend who hunts was a ranger, my friend who makes goofy jokes constantly was a bard, and one of my more ambitious friends was a power hungry warlock. Everything lined up almost perfectly to reflect their real selves.

I played a rogue who was a fast talking con man, but weak and unable to do much in combat.

WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT ME!?

That you value the non-combat pillars of the game, or maybe you're such a good dude otherwise that stealing stuff and tricking people is fun escapism. It may not necessarily be your idealized self, just a shade. Maybe you just wanna be Han Solo. We all do.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

One of the big points I'm stressing in my session 0 today is that D&D has three pillars, and interaction is (at least in my mind) the most important.

I am also a huge fan of bringing interaction with environment into combat as much as possible, and this sort of interaction allows non-combat focused characters to still feel impactful in combat.

In a game I'm not DMing I am playing a drunken master kenku monk, and I use the mobility from this to put myself in places to (for example) slam doors shut as people try to rush through them. We had a big fight in a tavern where I spent four rounds throwing alcohol all over the enemies so our wizard could toast them.
Also I use the Kenku mimicry ability to throw out incorrect orders in the enemy pack leader's voice. So as not to gently caress with the DMs plans I wait until I've heard enough instructions from the NPC before I start using it, but we once had an entire band of enemy soldiers keep retreating then charging because they couldn't figure out who was telling them what to do.

I am not a huge fan of combat in general (aside from creative spellcasting) and will always suggest to others who don't really like rolling big numbers into either utility spellcasting or something that has the mobility to interact with environment (monk, maybe rogue?) because then you blur interaction and combat and make it a bit less stale.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

non-combat focused characters

I don't think there are non-combat character in D&D.

tote up a bags posted:

I am not a huge fan of combat in general

I hope you find a game that really caters to what you'd enjoy.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sorry I should've been more clear. I enjoy combat in D&D, it's a lot of fun. I should've said I am not a super fan of hours upon hours of it if it boils down to rolling dice against enemies' AC over and over. I think D&D does a great job of offering narrative combat options, and what I'm trying to express to my players is that your options in combat are plentiful and can be really narrative. Just keen to get them out of the MMO mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AlphaDog posted:

(In before) But then if something's too hard you can just go away and repeatedly gently caress up a simple task with no consequences to make the thing you need to do easier, and then the DM will admit defeat in all future scenarios and congratulate you on beating the game, and all the other players will stand up and clap.

If you are playing like this then there are still going to be consequences for you loving it up.