Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Rune Lord Tressa is all sorts of overpowered and got me Warmaster easy. Too bad it's way too slow on trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mordiceius posted:

The dark middle chapters.

Speaking of that, Cyrus's Chapter 3 boss... holy hell! Those blood crystals are really quite the stuff... though I don't think I need to be Sherlock to guess who betrayed the headmaster.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
I'm hooked on this drat game. I have Olberic and Tressa left to pick up. Ditched Haanit for Primrose, and my party is currently: Therion, Ophilia, Primrose, and Cyrus. I did not like Alfyn at all. Can't wait to unlock the other jobs. Probably going to make Therion thief/hunter, Cyrus mage/runelord, and not sure what to do with Ophilia and Prim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just love the way everything looks in this game :3:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Veritas posted:

I'm hooked on this drat game. I have Olberic and Tressa left to pick up. Ditched Haanit for Primrose, and my party is currently: Therion, Ophilia, Primrose, and Cyrus. I did not like Alfyn at all. Can't wait to unlock the other jobs. Probably going to make Therion thief/hunter, Cyrus mage/runelord, and not sure what to do with Ophilia and Prim.

This combo actually works really well with Cyrus. If there's one thing that goes against it, it's that Cyrus really really likes Sorcerer, and Runelord actually pairs up really well with a Sorcerer due to the Sorcerer's access to the staff skill Elemental Bane. But when I still didn't have Sorcerer, Runelord!Cyrus was my thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't think I "get" H'aanit.

Should I only be using Linde to attack (assuming I'm not using one of the other pokemon)? I have her subclassed as a warrior and she is just utterly pathetic when it comes to her own weapon attacks. Like her weapons are up to date but she just... lacks anything good going for her right now. I'm trying to buff her strength up but yikes all around.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think I "get" H'aanit.

Should I only be using Linde to attack (assuming I'm not using one of the other pokemon)? I have her subclassed as a warrior and she is just utterly pathetic when it comes to her own weapon attacks. Like her weapons are up to date but she just... lacks anything good going for her right now. I'm trying to buff her strength up but yikes all around.
H'aanit has one of the highest natural strength stats in the game? I'm pretty sure only Olberic is higher. All of your issues with characters have been pretty confusing to me, honestly. :confused:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

H'aanit has one of the highest natural strength stats in the game? I'm pretty sure only Olberic is higher. All of your issues with characters have been pretty confusing to me, honestly. :confused:

I’m pretty sure Olberic and H’aanit have identical physical attack stats (tied for highest)

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Help I'm obsessed with savescumming to steal those sweet 3% weapons and armors. Yes, the time to reset to last save is mercifully short and no, I will not stop.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have no idea what's going on then. She has up to date equips, a accessory that gives her +50 attack etc but a fully boosted level slash only hits like... 500 on dudes while Tressa - Cleric can hit 1.5k on everyone with trade wins or 300-400 per strike on a single target.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maxy Boy posted:

Help I'm obsessed with savescumming to steal those sweet 3% weapons and armors. Yes, the time to reset to last save is mercifully short and no, I will not stop.

My pro-tip for overpowered gear early is to equip the support abilities that reduce random battles and make fleeing easier and then run around high level dungeons grabbing chests. Remember to keep Therion with you when you do that since those purple chests have great stuff in them.

You're also going to make like 200k+ money doing this (especially if you have Tressa since her random gold procs are like 5k in those areas). With all that money you can also buy a ton of strong gear from the endgame cities you just ran into.

I find this to be a much more entertaining way to get ahead of the curve than savescumming.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 17, 2018

deftest
May 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

My pro-tip for overpowered gear early is to equip the support abilities that reduce random battles and make fleeing easier and then run around high level dungeons grabbing chests. Remember to keep Therion with you when you do that since those purple chests have great stuff in them.

hear that? that's the sound of the tressa crowd swapping their party at the tavern

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

deftest posted:

hear that? that's the sound of the tressa crowd swapping their party at the tavern

If you are doing what I just described you should probably have both in your party for it since Tressa's money ticks add up to be a ton of money when you just keep running between map screens in high level areas.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

This combo actually works really well with Cyrus. If there's one thing that goes against it, it's that Cyrus really really likes Sorcerer, and Runelord actually pairs up really well with a Sorcerer due to the Sorcerer's access to the staff skill Elemental Bane. But when I still didn't have Sorcerer, Runelord!Cyrus was my thing.

How does Cyrus Runelord work? He has no abilities that target himself for Transfer Rune, and you can easily pair him with anything but Cleric to get another weapon slot so he can have a physical damage option when needed.

Edit:
I suppose by stat swapping he'd be good, but Ophelia is so much better in that case.

nessin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 17, 2018

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Runelord Tressa is such a nice combo. Bosses just stops being able to hit your party with physical attacks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm trying hard not to read the thread because I don't want to spoil anything for myself.

I'm currently playing as the hunter and I'm going to find my master. I got a pop-up saying I should play as another character, but it doesn't give me any instruction on how to pick them. Am I just going to need to walk to them according to the map? Or should I go about my quest? I'm only one hour in.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I'm trying hard not to read the thread because I don't want to spoil anything for myself.

I'm currently playing as the hunter and I'm going to find my master. I got a pop-up saying I should play as another character, but it doesn't give me any instruction on how to pick them. Am I just going to need to walk to them according to the map? Or should I go about my quest? I'm only one hour in.

You should go where the other characters are in the map, mainly because Chapter 2 quests need > level 20

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dude gently caress Tressa's chapter 2 boss so hard

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Dude gently caress Tressa's chapter 2 boss so hard

He eventually resummons his two buddies after you kill them, too. I'd recommend picking up some sub-jobs if you haven't yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, I got the eight basic jobs, so I guess it's time for me to start going after chapter 2s. But now I'm facing all new indecision about what jobs to allocate where. It seems clear that the JP ramp-up will be exponential. Anybody got a list of what all the passive skills are?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
So for the past few days I've been driving myself crazy trying to finish the quest where you collect ingredients in Atlasdam. I got the first two, but couldn't find the third. I scrutinized and used purchase on every possible person-- nothing. I looked up where the guy was supposed to be and every site said "Just go into the tavern" but there was only ever one guy in there, and he didn't have any ingredients. And it was all the more maddening because I knew I'd seen him in there before, when I first got to town!

My boyfriend said "Oh, I think you have to do Ophilia's intro first," which I thought was weird, but no matter -- I went and picked her up and came back. Nothing. Gave up for a while, went and got everyone else, came back. Still nothing.

Then my boyfriend said "Dammit, why do I keep thinking Ophilia? I meant Cyrus's intro."

Finally, I was just about to give up and chalk it up to a glitch, when I realized I still had an Allured townsperson following me around. "Uh.. does that guy look like a Tavern Patron to you?"

"... Yeah."

The third ingredient guy had been in my party the whole time. :smith: I released him and he went right back to the tavern.

(In my defense, I shuffled Primrose out right after picking him up, so he wasn't visible for most of the trip until right before I got back to Atlasdam)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I got the eight basic jobs, so I guess it's time for me to start going after chapter 2s. But now I'm facing all new indecision about what jobs to allocate where. It seems clear that the JP ramp-up will be exponential. Anybody got a list of what all the passive skills are?

Nah JP is calculated per job. So it's always 30/100/500/1000/3000/5000 to unlock all the skills in any given job.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

Nah JP is calculated per job. So it's always 30/100/500/1000/3000/5000 to unlock all the skills in any given job.

Er, I mean that JP earned ramps up exponentially.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Er, I mean that JP earned ramps up exponentially.

This has all the ones for basic jobs.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/7479-octopath-traveler-passive-skills-passive-skills-for-all-classes

Go for Thief 3 early and stick it on a Merchant so you can get all the money.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite thing about allured/following guys is when you put Primrose or Opheillia away and forget that they had said person following them. I didn't have Prim for a long time so when I pulled her out and walked out of the bar only to notice a old man still chasing after her I had a pretty comical laugh.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

This has all the ones for basic jobs.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/7479-octopath-traveler-passive-skills-passive-skills-for-all-classes

Go for Thief 3 early and stick it on a Merchant so you can get all the money.

The author seems to have listed these abilities in alphabetical order instead of unlock order, but thanks.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Seems redundant to give Sorcerer to Cyrus since it's just his basic class+++ but goddamn is it satisfying doing over 40k damage with the Cleric and Scholar divine skills with a spell of your choosing. If I bother using BP items I can do it again next turn.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really love this games aesthetic, it really sucks me in.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

nessin posted:

How does Cyrus Runelord work? He has no abilities that target himself for Transfer Rune, and you can easily pair him with anything but Cleric to get another weapon slot so he can have a physical damage option when needed.

Edit:
I suppose by stat swapping he'd be good, but Ophelia is so much better in that case.

It's much simpler than you think it is, the Rune attacks go off of the Elemental Attack stat, and Cyrus has one of the highest Elemental Attacks there is. Imbuing himself with any of the Runes work really well and he can hit the damage cap with a good elemental attack-boosting weapon. As such, with no physical attack skills in his skillset, Runelord Cyrus only really concerns himself with boosting his Elemental Attack as high as he possibly can, making him one of the best single-target DPS Runelords. Another favorite is to have the Runelord on someone else and have Cyrus in the Sorcerer class. The Sorcerer class has a physical weapon skill that goes off of your equipped Staff called Elemental Bane that decreases the elemental defense of any enemies hit by it, so using Transfer Rune to pass on a Rune of your choice to Cyrus and then using that skill easily hits the damage cap and then some, especially if you broke the enemy beforehand.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I must’ve done something wrong or I suck at the game. Just finished all 8 chapter 1’s but everyone’s levels are spread out from 9 to 18. Every zone I go in is either too high and I get killed really fast or I’m over leveled and get low xp and jp. What should I do?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maxy Boy posted:

What's the best way to do this? The only way I've seen to back out of a save is to close the software, is there any faster way?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What's the best way to do this? The only way I've seen to back out of a save is to close the software, is there any faster way?

Menu, bottom miscellaneous option and then return to title is how I do it.

Oh and it auto saves every time you transition areas in town so you don’t need to use a save book if there isn’t one close to your mark.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 17, 2018

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
going to get my last character chapter 1 and trying to think ahead, what’s a good class combo for Treasa (protag) early on? I’m torn between thief for weapon versatility and warrior for endless incite/sidestep.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One knock against writing that I have so far (and it's kind of minor) is that every villain so far *has* to become a cartoon character in how evil they are. Aflyn chapter 2 I was already invested because I like his character and story and him stopping a illicit corrupt rival is a good hook, but when confronted she just starts talking about how "mwa ha ha I kick puppies and trip the elderly and if I had a mustache I'd twirl it." and it feels kinda like overkill. Just let her be a greedy jackass gosh.

Primrose chapter 1 and a few others come to mind, like the writers were scared we didn't want to beat up the villains enough.

E: What the gently caress is with Alfyn's chapter 2 boss He just kinda... drugs her so she passes out in a dangerous cave and just leaves her there. That entire scene just comes off as really weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 17, 2018

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

He did say explicitly there that the guards were on their way

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that the boss AI doesn't seem to have a set pattern. I was fighting the Leviathan and did really well on my first attempt but died as he summoned adds that shielded him, increased his shield and started charging up his super attack all in one round. Next two-three attempts he summoned his adds immediately and I had no chance, then on my last attempt he never summoned adds at all, never charged up, just a cakewalk of a fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jade Mage posted:

He did say explicitly there that the guards were on their way

Yeah, it's just him leaving her there for even a short while makes me surprised nothing happened. I mean the cave was full of angry rear end pirates and murder crabs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Computer posted:

It's weird to me that the boss AI doesn't seem to have a set pattern. I was fighting the Leviathan and did really well on my first attempt but died as he summoned adds that shielded him, increased his shield and started charging up his super attack all in one round. Next two-three attempts he summoned his adds immediately and I had no chance, then on my last attempt he never summoned adds at all, never charged up, just a cakewalk of a fight.

Is it possible the difficulty assists downwards if you lost a couple times? Xenoblade does this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also I'm wondering what the damage formulas are in this game. It feels like there's a sort of damage threshold where any damage under it gets reduced while damage above retains the full power? For instance, Tressa's daggers might do 100 instead of 500 damage to a defensive enemy while H'aanit's big attacks deal 4k as usual. And it seems like Poison isn't as simple as a static % of health because the boss I just fought only took 500 per round from poison despite having something like 50k health. Earlier I fought a boss with something like 25k health that took a good 1500 per round from poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Is poison damage only a percentage of the enemy's health or does elemental attack play a role in it. I had Alfyn empoison his 3rd chapter boss with full boost and it only did 1% damage each round, which didn't really seem worth it.

^thats what I get for not refreshing before posting

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 17, 2018