Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

jeeves posted:

She probably should have saved that Biotic Labor for when she had an agenda to advance 4 times in one round?

Playing Hedge Fund on click one followed by Biotic Labor on click two is spending two cards to do absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
It's a good bluff.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's honest signalling to intimidate you by showing she can win even when being hugely wasteful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just spent twenty minutes falling down the Wikipedia rabbit hole about animal physiology

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it's a real thomas haas move

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the only netrunner i have assembled is bigboy's teaching decks from, like, a year and a half ago. turns out he did one for jinteki as well, but i stopped buying after mumbai (and like one or two from flashpoint).

Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core Set)

Agenda (10)
3x Braintrust (What Lies Ahead)
2x Fetal AI (Trace Amount)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) ●●
2x House of Knives (Honor and Profit)
1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)

Asset (6)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) ●●●
3x Snare! (Core Set)

Upgrade (4)
2x Ben Musashi (Earth's Scion)
2x Hokusai Grid (Humanity's Shadow)

Operation (14)
1x Biotic Labor (Core Set) ●●●●
3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x IPO (Terminal Directive)
2x Neural EMP (Core Set)
2x Sweeps Week (True Colors) ●●●●

Barrier (5)
2x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) ●●
3x Kakugo (Daedalus Complex)

Code Gate (4)
2x DNA Tracker (Escalation)
2x Enigma (Core Set)

Sentry (6)
3x Komainu (Honor and Profit)
3x Pup (Honor and Profit)

this is obviously up to terminal directive in terms of legality. does anyone have suggestions for replacements or modifications, or should i just proxy stuff?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
People seem to say that the Team Covenant teaching decks are pretty good. I'm going to work towards building a few to teach the game once I straighten out my newly complete collection.

They're only up to the second to last cycle though.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I just spent twenty minutes falling down the Wikipedia rabbit hole about animal physiology

The problem with rabbit holes is that the first reading binge turns into a second, and then a third.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
More than Mechrunner, I'd like to see some more 1-on-1 customizable games that aren't dude bashers. Netrunner's biggest accomplishment for me has been that both players are building board states, but without the basic Magic dynamic of using some kind of an attack to reduce some kind of life tracker.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
+1. So help me God I don't want to summon a creature ever again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I love netrunner for its asymmetry. It's totally unique that way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

More than Mechrunner, I'd like to see some more 1-on-1 customizable games that aren't dude bashers. Netrunner's biggest accomplishment for me has been that both players are building board states, but without the basic Magic dynamic of using some kind of an attack to reduce some kind of life tracker.
I think there are a couple others but they're all anime nonsense. Weiss-Schwartz worked like that, didn't it?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I never played competitively but I seem to recall that not having to focus on attacking your opponent was one of the better things about the Star Trek CCG.

Spycraft, depending on what faction you were playing may or may not be focusing on attacking your opponents characters but if you're looking for another game that has an interesting bluffing mechanic then that might be worth checking out.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The Star Trek CCG (long dead and thank goodness) wasn't a dude basher, it's true. But it was also one of those super-early CCG's that bizarrely designed and largely written in conversational language Like, just have look at this guy:

I'll look into Spycraft. Hell at this point I may as well just start writing my own.

Aside: As a design exercise, see how much of the rules of Star Trek you can come up with from that one piece of out-of-context information. I'm counting at least ten things on the card that could be rules relevant.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 16, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Youthful Ship

IIRC that game had a ‘play one card per turn’ resource system and a ‘play as many dudes as you want’ event which broke the entire lovely economy.

Edit: also a rules icon referring to a card it took them a decade to print or something. But the LOTR CCG was pretty awesome!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'll look into Spycraft.

In Spycraft you have a faction with an innate ability similar to Netrunner. You start with your "ID" and a group of five characters which are your Leaders, one of which is revealed the others are facedown. Characters have 4 stats, an ability and a cost.

In between the players are horizontally aligned mission cards which are replenished from a deck. Each mission has a type and a stat involved and a victory point value. Players alternate playing cards or taking one of several basic actions similar to Netrunner. When a player decides he's ready, he can run a mission in which he becomes the attacker and the other player the defender. The upside of attacking is that you have the advantage of declaring which mission you'll run, the downside is that after the mission the other player can keep taking actions while you've effectively passed the rest of the turn. Whoever has the higher stat after both players pass during the mission gets it, so it's entirely possible that your attack will completely backfire and you'll give your opponent a huge advantage both in points and in getting to play out the rest of the cards in their hand and build their board for the next turn.

The other gimmick of the game is that every card can be played facedown, so you can play event cards and bluff them as characters, in addition to just getting them out of your hand. I haven't played in a while but there's something that goes on with discarding your hand every turn but you only redraw like the number of cards you discard +2 or something. I don't recall but banking/bluffing good events by putting them on the board is important.

It was only around a couple years and the deckbuilding aspect of it left somethings to be desired but it plays really well in cube draft. Since it's long since dead and not particularly sought a set of the starters and a booster box are dirt cheap on ebay.

Not a great game but if you like the bluffing and push your luck aspect of Netrunner, it's worth checking out. It's quite a bit lighter and the art is comparable to Sentinels of the Multiverse in terms of look and tone.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Rhaegar posted:

Caught up on netrunner last night!

Any suggestions for a couple of cool decks to try from the last 3 cycles?

This is one of my favorite corp IDs along with the faceup agendas that released along with it. Tons of free advancement tokens on powerful ice, rush the hell out of the runner.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’m playing Star Wars: Destiny CCG and the Lightseekers CCG right now because they’re both different enough from magic that I like them. Totally different from Netrunner but still fun mechanics.

Also I searched for the item number as was suggested and got a shipping notification for Old Hollywood today so my quest is finally complete!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mp5 posted:

This is one of my favorite corp IDs along with the faceup agendas that released along with it. Tons of free advancement tokens on powerful ice, rush the hell out of the runner.

SSO is so great I've had trouble playing anything else since it came out. It's good that Weyland finally got some love, I've always really liked their theme but they sure had a lot of subpar IDs.

Speaking of which, how is the Weyland ID from R&R? I haven't really had a chance to play with it much, and frankly bad pub always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Outfit is essentially a non-terrible GRNDL. It's a rush ID - you want to slam out Hostiles and Illicit Sales in order to roll in credits and then leverage your insane money lead to HHN the runner and either ruin their tempo or kill them with Boom or High-Profile Target. The amount of bad pub you gain from it only matters when the runner gets their rig together, but when it happens things go wrong quickly.

I've seen glacier builds that just run enormous barriers because a) you can afford to rez Hadrian, Bulwark and Tithonium on one server and b) even Paperclip can't handle paying 7+ per ICE repeatedly even with bad pub. This is probably bad and I would definitely play it as a rush/kill combo over anything else, but glacier is pretty funny.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The problem with both is they're SUPER variance. They tend to run 5/3's, and/or is SSO doesn't see one early, they just fall off a cliff then die, and there isn't much you can really do about that.

You're basically saying 'X% of my games will be lost entirely unavoidably' and that makes them poor choices for multi-round things (like every event)

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Was showing my five year old son the basics of netrunner using the Team Covenant Shaper and HB learning decks. Was thinking it would be way over his head until I was making a run on HQ and had just enough clicks to get through Victor 2.0 when my son said he was going to spend a power token from a scored Wotan to give the ice an extra end the run.

I was so proud.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Speaking of combos and synergy, the iceless Sportsmetal deck is ridiculously fun to play. It takes traditional Netrunner conventions and turns them on their heads, scratching a similar itch to Magic's Breakfast Burrito. I had been mucking about with more traditional Sportmetal decks a little while ago, but this one seems to be the purest distillation of the ID's philosophy, as you and the runner play an intense back and forth match while you both race to the finish. However, unlike at an actual sporting event, the athletes are the ones doing the streaking. :getin:

The deck is definitely fragile, but it turned out to be more resilient in play than it appeared at first glance. Maybe I just got lucky with opponents that didn't try to sink my Sponsorships, though. :shrug:

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Speaking of combos and synergy, the iceless Sportsmetal deck is ridiculously fun to play. It takes traditional Netrunner conventions and turns them on their heads, scratching a similar itch to Magic's Breakfast Burrito. I had been mucking about with more traditional Sportmetal decks a little while ago, but this one seems to be the purest distillation of the ID's philosophy, as you and the runner play an intense back and forth match while you both race to the finish. However, unlike at an actual sporting event, the athletes are the ones doing the streaking. :getin:

The deck is definitely fragile, but it turned out to be more resilient in play than it appeared at first glance. Maybe I just got lucky with opponents that didn't try to sink my Sponsorships, though. :shrug:

It's silly amounts of fun but can be easily(?) played around, and will get absolutely ruined by Salsette Slums.

You also need to sing SPORTSMETAL in a falsetto each time you activate the ability.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
There's not a lot of information yet, but FFG has apparently teamed up with Richard Garfield to produce a new game, Keyforge. Obviously, this is a humorously themed game, though it looks like it is also fairly complex. The distribution, "Unique Deck" is something I'm definitely curious about. It's not something I'm jumping on board yet, especially because it looks like yet another dude-basher. Watch this space?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

There's not a lot of information yet, but FFG has apparently teamed up with Richard Garfield to produce a new game, Keyforge. Obviously, this is a humorously themed game, though it looks like it is also fairly complex. The distribution, "Unique Deck" is something I'm definitely curious about. It's not something I'm jumping on board yet, especially because it looks like yet another dude-basher. Watch this space?

That looked dumb as hell at first glance because the entire distribution model seems certifiably insane but the more it settles in my mind the more hype I am. Randomized distribution can be fun, deckbuilding in games with randomized distribution is a pain (a real low-point between opening new cards and actually using them), and it's Richard Garfield. I know he's only human but I kind of trust the guy on interesting card game experiences, if he has an idea that seems way out of left field I think it's worth exploring at least a little.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

We messaged Blizzard and they wanted a million dollars a week for the Overwatch IP so we just kind of copied it.

It is kind of interesting though. The concept of 'Unique decks' could lead to some wildly unbalanced experiences. I'm also a bit curious how they're going to prevent players from mixing between them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That sounds awful, and incredibly prone to random variance. I mean, I love Richard Garfield, but he is an ideas guy. Playing a game that can only be played as "Sealed but worse" sounds miserable.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

It is kind of interesting though. The concept of 'Unique decks' could lead to some wildly unbalanced experiences. I'm also a bit curious how they're going to prevent players from mixing between them.

Since there's a companion app for keeping decks organized, etc., my bet is on QR codes on a pamphlet insert with the decks, or something similar.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So…it’s a collectible card game, except the decks you use are randomly generated? :psyduck: I mean I trust Garfield to make it work, but man that's bizarre.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Since there's a companion app for keeping decks organized, etc., my bet is on QR codes on a pamphlet insert with the decks, or something similar.

Every deck has a unique back with a procedurally generated deck name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there an over under for how long it takes until one with a suggestive name pops up on eBay for hundreds of dollars?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What the gently caress those deck names are fantastic, "The Seamstress that Drains Conversation", the "Tickler" of the pit, wtf

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

Is the second print run of Reign and Reverie making an appearance at GenCon?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

What the gently caress those deck names are fantastic, "The Seamstress that Drains Conversation", the "Tickler" of the pit, wtf

A couple more I found

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hahahaha, those names are amazing. It's like goons came up with them in a photoshop contest.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tainen posted:

A couple more I found

I am in love. :allears: I am eager to exchange my money for these goods.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It should be noted that the Team Covenant guys talked about finding "special" cards in some of the decks which I'm guessing are going to be like super powerful swingy rares that make you want to chase packs a bit to find one.

Since they're probably mostly 1-offs if you're one of those people that hate FFG's continued use of the 'limit 1 per deck' design philosophy; this game will probably make you want to smash your face into the nearest wall.

I'm definitely curious to see the app because this feels like a game that would play a lot better on the app where you could do small group tournaments, grind currency to unlock new decks for rank matches or just go into a game and get assigned a random deck. It doesn't come across to me as something that has the legs for continued play unless each new expansion cycle just sends the power creep factor into overdrive.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

It should be noted that the Team Covenant guys talked about finding "special" cards in some of the decks which I'm guessing are going to be like super powerful swingy rares that make you want to chase packs a bit to find one.

They might be referring to what the rulebook calls Maverick cards. They're cards that belong to one house but 'defected' to another. So you might find a Mind Spike, that belongs to the Untamed House normally, in the Mars house as a Maverick. If I read those rules correctly that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
eugh. I really hate the art and flavor and my brain is just screaming "netrunner died for this"