Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlowBloke posted:

What drugs are you on because that must be some real good poo poo, everybody in europe will crosscheck prices with Germany in the worst case, most likely Germany, Austria, France, Italy and Slovenia before committing to everything online worth more than 50€.

It's quite common for EU retailers to refuse to ship to other EU countries. Mindfactory doesn't. Scan.co.uk doesn't. Komplett doesn't. Those are some big names in PC-building in the EU, no?

And it's really common for smaller stores to not ship internationally either. Pulling the first 5 names I came across in this thread of Swedish retailers - Komplett, Netonnet, Mediamarkt, Webhallen, and Inet - none of them ship to other EU countries. I think one would ship to Finland or Norway, but not to the EU generally.

There are some that do, like Alternate and OCUK, but it would be absolutely unthinkable for any online retailer in the US to refuse to ship to Tennessee or Alabama or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's quite common for EU retailers to refuse to ship to other EU countries. Mindfactory doesn't. Scan.co.uk doesn't. Komplett doesn't. Those are some big names in PC-building in the EU, no?

And it's really common for smaller stores to not ship internationally either. Pulling the first 5 names I came across in this thread of Swedish retailers - Komplett, Netonnet, Mediamarkt, Webhallen, and Inet - none of them ship to other EU countries. I think one would ship to Finland or Norway, but not to the EU generally.

There are some that do, like Alternate and OCUK, but it would be absolutely unthinkable for any online retailer in the US to refuse to ship to Tennessee or Alabama or something.

You seem to be comparing EU Countries to US States.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Dead Goon posted:

You seem to be comparing EU Countries to US States.

Trade works very very very similarly, that was one of the points of the Union. They wanted a United States style trade zone. The EU (with a couple of exceptions) even shares the same currency and countries cannot set individual trade deals (which is one of the reasons Britain voted to leave)

It's like when Trump moaned to Merkel that Germany refused to make deals with the US and Merkel had to explain literally three or four times in quick succession that a deal for a country in the EU is a deal for all of them

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Paul MaudDib posted:

I am living in italy which last time i checked is in Europe, I could pick up the phone and call any german computer shop to get a quote and buy any pc part without a hitch(a good chunk of my electronic kits have been bought in german webstores), hell if i want i could go to the ekwb store and buy coolers directly from them in Slovenia(they are a hour and change drive from my place). You have picked a poor choice of stores, mediamarkt for instance will only sell with its local country(like amazon) due to marketing not any statute of law limitation(and it does exist in italy as mediaworld so its not like i couldn't buy from them either).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 15, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlowBloke posted:

I am living in italy which last time i checked is in Europe, I could pick up the phone and call any german computer shop to get a quote and buy any pc part without a hitch

Call up Mindfactory.de and let me know how it goes for you.

quote:

You have picked a poor choice of stores, mediamarkt for instance will only sells with its local country

Glad you have now accepted that many EU retailers do not sell to people living in other EU member states. That was my whole point. That is absolutely unthinkable in the US. Newegg refusing to ship to Tennessee, say, would be mindboggling. That would only be a thing for mom+pop physical stores that don't ship at all.

(Amazon actually ships internationally, AFAIK, and they also have a separate storefront for each country, so it's not like they don't sell at all, it's just separated by domain.)

quote:

due to marketing not any statute of law limitation(and it exist in italy as mediaworld so its not like i could buy from them either).

Sure, I never said it was a legal limitation in the first place. It's definitely marketing. Also probably the duty to collect VAT, some stores just don't want to go through the hassle of remitting 27 different VATs over 10K euro worth of sales (this does not apply to major retailers like Mindfactory, Scan, or Komplett, that would have enough volume to definitely make it worth it, that's purely marketing). Some of the eastern European/southern European states also have really ridiculous rates of package theft in their postal systems (eg Italy), it's practically necessary to use a courier service like DHL in those places and they may not want to bother even then.

But it's not some mystery why EU prices are higher when you have much less competition. Collectively, what you have is a market where stores don't compete with each other and they don't have to drop prices aggressively when some other store in another state does, because the other state won't ship to their customers anyway.

(insofar as prices are higher than US+exchange rate+VAT, which they aren't always)

My point was that US prices are dropping aggressively, because when Newegg lists a 1080 for $430 then everyone kinda has to follow. In the US, if you want to try and keep your 1080s marked up to $600 like before, then you just will never clear that stock and you will eventually have to write it off entirely. EU prices are very sticky because there's less competition between your retailers, so they can just sit on their stock until it clears.

(ironically this may change somewhat, because the US Supreme Court just ruled that states can force stores in other states to remit tax for online sales, which reverses existing case law, so we will be in the same boat where retailers need to remit 50 separate taxes. However, the expectation is that stores are going to hire a service to do that for them, rather than simply stopping selling over state lines. Interstate sales are simply too big a business here to feasibly give up.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 15, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Paul MaudDib posted:

Call up Mindfactory.de and let me know how it goes for you.

Glad you have now accepted that many EU retailers do not sell to people living in other EU member states. That was my whole point. That is absolutely unthinkable in the US. Newegg refusing to ship to Tennessee, say, would be mindboggling.

(Amazon actually ships internationally, AFAIK, and they also have a separate storefront for each country)

Sure, I never said it was a legal limitation in the first place. It's definitely marketing. Also probably the duty to collect VAT, some stores just don't want to go through the hassle of remitting 27 different VATs over 10K euro worth of sales (this does not apply to major retailers like Mindfactory, Scan, or Komplett, that would have enough volume to definitely make it worth it, that's purely marketing).

But it's not some mystery why EU prices are higher when you have much less competition. Collectively, what you have is a market where stores don't compete with each other and they don't have to drop prices aggressively when some other store in another state does.

(insofar as prices are higher than US+exchange rate+VAT, which they aren't always)

Amazon does the same bullshit, if you live in italy for instance it will throw an atomic shitfit if you attempt to use the french or german webfront.

The VAT thing is a non-issue, it's on the buyer not the seller to handle the VAT deltas, if you got a VAT number you handle it on your own, if you don't you should handle it during transit with your tax agency but its so tiny most countries wont waste their time on that.

Never heard about mindfactory, like scan.co.uk that is a local shop with a limited scope, like eprice.it is in italy.

You want a europe wide webshop? Nierle. Works in the whole eu without a single hitch. Same for mikroe, you could buy from them local(it could be faster for me to get my car and drive there than to wait for international shipping) or buy from them online. For computer parts i could use techdata if i ever feel compelled to reactivate my vat number. Its not like you say that there are impossible barriers to jump to buy online, its just on the buyer to find for better offers(a good chunk of small to medium pc/ hobby electronics shops in EU now use ebay or amazon as a webstore front so it's kinda easy to buy from them now, no phone or email required).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 15, 2018

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Mindfactory is probably the largest EU shop and they have best prices, it really hosed me over when they suddenly decided to stop shipping to other countries.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mayne posted:

Mindfactory is probably the largest EU shop and they have best prices, it really hosed me over when they suddenly decided to stop shipping to other countries.

Hmm they don't seem so good with prices, I managed to pricematch them on a random asus mobo(z370a in this case) in a single amazon.it search(I could go deeper if i try ebay store fronts), I dont feel like I'm missing on much by not being able to buy from them.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 15, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlowBloke posted:

Amazon does the same bullshit, if you live in italy for instance it will throw an atomic shitfit if you attempt to use the french or german webfront.

The VAT thing is a non-issue, it's on the buyer not the seller to handle the VAT deltas, if you got a VAT number you handle it on your own, if you don't you should handle it during transit with your tax agency but its so tiny most countries wont waste their time on that.

Never heard about mindfactory, like scan.co.uk that is a local shop with a limited scope, like eprice.it is in italy.

You want a europe wide webshop? Nierle. Works in the whole eu without a single hitch. Same for mikroe, you could buy from them local(it could be faster for me to get my car and drive there than to wait for international shipping) or buy from them online. For computer parts i could use techdata if i ever feel compelled to reactivate my vat number. Its not like you say that there are impossible barriers to jump to buy online, its just on the buyer to find for better offers(a good chunk of small to medium pc/ hobby electronics shops in EU now use ebay or amazon as a webstore front so it's kinda easy to buy from them now, no phone or email required).

Mindfactory is one of the largest German retailers, Scan is one of the largest UK retailers, Komplett is one of the largest Scandanavian retailers. It's not some one-off thing, I gave you lots of examples.

I guess to put it in your terms, we don't have "local retailers with online storefronts" in the US. If a US business puts up a website, it's because they are trying to sell across the whole US, including to other states. So in this terminology, all of your "local businesses" are actually international stores here. So, with so many more international stores, you can see why we have more competition on pricing.

(there are still mom+pop stores that don't sell online at all, of course, that is what we would consider "local" here)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mindfactory is one of the largest German retailers, Scan is one of the largest UK retailers, Komplett is one of the largest Scandanavian retailers. It's not some one-off thing, I gave you lots of examples.

I guess to put it in your terms, we don't have "local retailers with online storefronts" in the US. If a US business puts up a website, it's because they are trying to sell across the whole US, including to other states. So in this terminology, all of your "local businesses" are actually international stores here. So, with so many more international stores, you can see why we have more competition on pricing.

(there are still mom+pop stores that don't sell online at all, of course, that is what we would consider "local" here)

Exactly, they are all stores that cater to a specific country( I wouldn't be surprised that they are limiting sales just to avoid handling customer complaints from across the eu, written/spoken english skills in the eurozone are varied to say the least), i never meant to single them out as tiny or "mom and pop". Eprice.it, which i would still catalog as a local-scope shop(they cater exclusively to the italian market, no shipping outside the country), is pretty much the main computer parts store here and it pulls millions in sales not hundreds of euro. You cannot possibly compare the us and the eurozone, you are comparing a single country with regional districts and multiple nations with a loosely tied legal framework.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SlowBloke posted:

When the store's annual sales to specific country exceed some amount, which is different for every country, then it becomes the seller's responsibility to pay the VAT.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saukkis posted:

When the store's annual sales to specific country exceed some amount, which is different for every country, then it becomes the seller's responsibility to pay the VAT.

They have lowered the limits since the last tim e i checked, still it's a minimum burden(track foreign sales and keep a tab on each euzone country total vat to pay) to get extra sales in a recession :shrug:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SlowBloke posted:

Exactly, they are all stores that cater to a specific country( I wouldn't be surprised that they are limiting sales just to avoid handling customer complaints from across the eu, written/spoken english skills in the eurozone are varied to say the least), i never meant to single them out as tiny or "mom and pop". Eprice.it, which i would still catalog as a local-scope shop(they cater exclusively to the italian market, no shipping outside the country), is pretty much the main computer parts store here and it pulls millions in sales not hundreds of euro. You cannot possibly compare the us and the eurozone, you are comparing a single country with regional districts and multiple nations with a loosely tied legal framework.

That was his exact point. You cannot compare how fast prices drop in the US to the EU because many retailers only sell to their local markets.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Saukkis posted:

Which is what made Mindfactory decide that spending money to make sure they always pay the different vat to different country after different limit will cost more than its worth. Its not that they refuse to sell to other euros, its because it doesnt make financial sense.

Also i would like to remind Paul that in US theres "will ship to lower 48, Hawaii and Alaska get hosed"

Exactly the same, but for different reason

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sormus posted:

Which is what made Mindfactory decide that spending money to make sure they always pay the different vat to different country after different limit will cost more than its worth. Its not that they refuse to sell to other euros, its because it doesnt make financial sense.

Also i would like to remind Paul that in US theres "will ship to lower 48, Hawaii and Alaska get hosed"

Exactly the same, but for different reason

Yeah, for logistical reasons. Also, you do realize different US states also have different sales taxes? Sometimes different municipalities, too.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Sales tax is regressive because it disporportionately affects gamers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sormus posted:

This is usually due to a company’s contracts for shipping. As a government-mandated service, USPS will eat losses delivering mail to those states but the for-profit shipment companies won’t. An independent eBay seller is more likely to sell stuff to those states because USPS doesn’t charge more to do there, and those sellers won’t insist 100% of all shipments be on their FedEx account or whatever.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sormus posted:

On top of the (relatively solvable) hassle of figuring VAT and shipping for various EU countries, I suspect that cross-EU shipping also makes your business subject to audits from any country it might be required to pay VAT. And that's potentially a much bigger hassle. I suspect that will also eventually make it's way the Supreme Court in the US once their ridiculous ruling goes into effect.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I know it's come up a million times, but I can't find it on my phone. What GPU should I look for used? Specifically, what cards have warranty that follows the card instead of the buyer? I'm pretty sure MSI it goes with the card but how about EVGA?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.evga.com/articles/00671/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mindfactory is one of the largest German retailers

i still get all my poo poo from computeruniverse, amazon.de and amazon.fr :shrug: even if they decided to not ship to abroad overnight like mindfactory, that'd still be their decision and there's tons more options to buy from EU still, but they won't because that'd be stupid

mindfactory has gone through at least one bankruptcy while being in the loving post 2000 computer market, so they can't be that smart/good can they lmao

also, they still ship if you're a company, just not to home users

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thank you!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I keep buying tons of poo poo from Germany, France and UK. I've ordered random crap from Italy, Spain, Portugal and Slovenia before. No issues whatsoever, nothing that keeps shops from sending across the EU, apart from the VAT bullshit mentioned before in this thread (the bookkeeping really the only major reason why a shop wouldn't want to send poo poo across borders).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"QA Consultants find AMD's graphics drivers to be more stable than Nvidia's after head-to-head testing"

Nvidia's drivers failed two times as often during stress testing

Lol

eames
May 9, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

"QA Consultants find AMD's graphics drivers to be more stable than Nvidia's after head-to-head testing"

Lol

article posted:

Commissioned by AMD,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkaylh0td_E

this combined with their paper is the weirdest thing i've seen in a while

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they didnt test it with games but they sure talked about gamers relying on stability.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Lol

They ran one test (never mind that it's a bought-and-paid-for whitepaper):

quote:

CRASH contains a variety of graphical functions across DirectX 9, 10 and 11 including changes in resolution, color settings, screen rotations, color overlays, sleeping and waking up.

wow that is some hardcore gaming material right there, love to switch my resolution and screen orientation 60 times per second

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

This reminded me of something: my old AMD card's drivers would randomly poo poo themselves and restart seconds afterward. This would happen anywhere from once every few days to two or three times a day, depending on which driver update I used.

Now that I have my 1070 Ti? No driver crashes. Not a single one.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So they admit no graphics cards are stable. Nice. ;_;

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Cygni posted:

$439AR (counting the $20 steam code) for a 1080 now... we're back to the prices of, what, a year and a half ago?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127944

You must be magic, shows as $499 or $479 after $20 rebate for me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nullsmack posted:

You must be magic, shows as $499 or $479 after $20 rebate for me.

You're three days late for that sale but I'm sure there'll be another one along soon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

This reminded me of something: my old AMD card's drivers would randomly poo poo themselves and restart seconds afterward. This would happen anywhere from once every few days to two or three times a day, depending on which driver update I used.

Now that I have my 1070 Ti? No driver crashes. Not a single one.

I miss the days of rolling back drivers by 2 or 3 releases in a quest to find out which broke the least games. I can’t believe I put up with my HD5870 for as long as I did.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Been using a fury card for a couple weeks now, it hasn't crashed or made me hate AMD yet.

The driver seems very well behaved when undervolting too much, it restarts itself in Windows and just carries on. My 1080 just poo poo the bed and needed a Windows restart when doing the same thing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 17, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The latest nvidia drivers broke ycbcr 444 and I have to use 422

Honestly it's the small, stupid poo poo

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The latest nvidia drivers broke ycbcr 444 and I have to use 422

Honestly it's the small, stupid poo poo

There has been a lot of this stupid poo poo in the NVIDIA drivers lately. Like problems with GSYNC displays not working properly or messed up colors on HDMI-out to TV or the drivers uninstalling themselves after your PC idles for a while or...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Never noticed literally any of that, not a single one of those symptoms (edit: or any of the ones you've claimed previously, literally zero problems on any of my GSync panels in the last 4 years, on 3 different uarchs). :shrug: I've especially never heard nor seen a GSync panel having flickering problems, ever. And in principle, GSync displays should be the most-validated displays on the market. Maybe your Windows installation is just broken as gently caress? Or, is not on the Deferred Update Channel?

e: but reading your post history, if you are actually using Borderless Windowed, you are exposing yourself to needless pain, as always happens when you add a couple extra layers of drivers just for funsies. If you are running borderless then you are adding a couple Windows layers to the picture too. But past that, it really sounds like Personal Problems.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 17, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Never noticed literally any of that, not a single one of those symptoms (edit: or any of the ones you've claimed previously, literally zero problems on any of my GSync panels in the last 4 years, on 3 different uarchs). :shrug: I've especially never heard nor seen a GSync panel having flickering problems, ever. And in principle, GSync displays should be the most-validated displays on the market. Maybe your Windows installation is just broken as gently caress? Or, is not on the Deferred Update Channel?

e: but reading your post history, if you are actually using Borderless Windowed, you are exposing yourself to needless pain, as always happens when you add a couple extra layers of drivers just for funsies. If you are running borderless then you are adding a couple Windows layers to the picture too. But past that, it really sounds like Personal Problems.

Nvidia drivers have a long and storied history of having non-critical minor issues for a lot of people, it's a really common point of discussion on many GPU/PC gaming discussion sites

Good for you that you haven't experienced any yet but don't loving patronize us

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
“personal problems”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some :downs: poo poo