Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can get diamonds from rock crushing and cleaning as well.

I got a few from there, but going the charcoal route is way faster. I'll just use it as an excuse to upgrade my treefarm then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Magneticraft isn't as useless as I thought. You can connect a thermopile up to a capacitor or something using magneticraft connectors and get about 20 RF/t out of it if it's using lava and snow and the wire is as short as possible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, my maximum canola farm is feeding two compression dynamos, one hardened one signalum. That seems to be exactly the limit of passive production from one farm, so that's about 700 RF/t. Not bad, but... well, turns out tree oil is twice as energy-rich as refined canola, and the infrastructure takes up way less space-- or at least, horizontally it does.

I wonder if it's possible to automate production of crystalized canola oil?
edit: yes it is, though a bit messy...

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 19, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Canola oil is pretty awful these days. It used to be really nice.

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
I'm looking for some advice on mod-packs. I've not played since 1.4.* with Technic by KakerMix (2012?) and want to get back into the game.

There's so many packs and no doubt 95% of them are total garbage, is there an approved not-poo poo pack i can try?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Here's the modpacks I currently have installed:

For those who might not know all of these (not just the person I quoted) here's a rundown from left to right.

* Direwolf20 pack: 1.12, kitchen sink. Has a custom mod, Meecreeps, that is fun to mess around with. It summons little helpers that can do rote tasks like cut down trees and dig around.
* Exoria: 1.12, quest progression pack. Made by the same dude who did Age of Engineering. Has good pacing and is built around opening up new dimensions for progress.
* SevTech Ages: 1.12, quest progression pack. Has a start that is very much like terrafirmacraft, and five separate stages. Quoted as a pack that would take "six months" to complete, but that was in the context of streamers and youtubers, who don't play as frequently.
* Crimson Skies: 1.12, quest progression skyblock. Made by the same guy who did the Modern Skyblock series. Compared to MSB3, it's considered a more "expert" pack. Based around Astral Sorcery for progress. Fairly light mod loadout.
* Infinity Evolved Skyblock: 1.7.10, progression skyblock. Dated, but a challenging expert progression map. Version 2.0 is notable for actually having a quest book! There are no quest rewards, though -- it's basically a tutorial on how to progress. Relies heavily on IC2 and Buildcraft.
* FTB Pyramid Reborn: 1.12 expert quest progression skyblock. A spiritual successor to the old FTB Pyramid map. Uses in-world mechanisms for quest progression instead of a quest book. Very small mod layout, and quite short to complete.

dragonshardz posted:

You could also check out Disasterpiece Theater if you'd like to play with goons

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chompers posted:

I'm looking for some advice on mod-packs. I've not played since 1.4.* with Technic by KakerMix (2012?) and want to get back into the game.

There's so many packs and no doubt 95% of them are total garbage, is there an approved not-poo poo pack i can try?

Project Ozone 2 is my favourite at the moment. It's a bit old, but by your standards it's quite new. It has a good quest system and tutorial built in that will teach you the mods.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So some friends of mine and I are playing Sevtech and we just got to age 4.

Looking at the progression, one of the ender utilities ingots needs shulker shells to make.

Is there a way to farm these at all? I read that shulkers don't respawn once they're killed, and while I can use ender utilities to capture one or two for pearls, I don't know how to get shells without killign them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RaspberryCommie posted:

So some friends of mine and I are playing Sevtech and we just got to age 4.

Looking at the progression, one of the ender utilities ingots needs shulker shells to make.

Is there a way to farm these at all? I read that shulkers don't respawn once they're killed, and while I can use ender utilities to capture one or two for pearls, I don't know how to get shells without killign them.

Use Industrial Foregoing's mob duplicator, maybe? I don't think you need to make many of these.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so I'm progressing through Futurepack now and I ran into a problem. The Redstone Cable research won't complete. I put in 8 redstone and 2 cable and the redstone's progress bar fills up but the cable's does not.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Okay so I'm progressing through Futurepack now and I ran into a problem. The Redstone Cable research won't complete. I put in 8 redstone and 2 cable and the redstone's progress bar fills up but the cable's does not.

Do you have the research energy module doohickey hooked up to the researcher, and have it receiving power?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do you have the research energy module doohickey hooked up to the researcher, and have it receiving power?

Just found that in the e-reader after running into the same problem a second time. The GUIs could stand to have a little more information in them...

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Playing through Blightfall, what is the throughput on a mana fluxfield? Will it take as much as I can shoot at it and pass that to a tesseract or do I need to split it up into multiple fluxfields?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Depends posted:

Playing through Blightfall, what is the throughput on a mana fluxfield? Will it take as much as I can shoot at it and pass that to a tesseract or do I need to split it up into multiple fluxfields?

It'll take as much as you can shoot into it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Just found that in the e-reader after running into the same problem a second time. The GUIs could stand to have a little more information in them...

Yeah for as much text as they put in the e-scanner pages, it doesn't really explain things well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As long as we're on the subject: which is the better of the two space mods? Galacticraft or Futurecraft?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

As long as we're on the subject: which is the better of the two space mods? Galacticraft or Futurecraft?

Advanced Rocketry. Galacticraft is "sit on the moon and wait for meteoric iron: the mod", and god help you if some sadistic bastard also includes ExtraPlanets. Futurecraft only barely qualifies as a space mod at all.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
1.13 finally dropped for the Java edition, although we don't have so much as a public Forge release for it yet, let alone mod updates. It's gonna be awhile on this one, boys.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Toadsmash posted:

1.13 finally dropped for the Java edition, although we don't have so much as a public Forge release for it yet, let alone mod updates. It's gonna be awhile on this one, boys.

By a while you mean "next year"? Forge is undergoing a thorough rewrite, and (most) mod authors won' be updating until a Recommended version comes out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
1.12 mods are doing well, I don't mind too much having to wait another year to mess around with water.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Depends posted:

Others mentioned no limit, but you will find yourself constrained by how many spreaders you can shoot at it. So you will likely inevitably make another.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay let me get something straight. Support points in Futurepack are only generated via machines that autocraft, while they work? The e-reader is a bit vague about it.
It looks like the opti bench is the first machine that generates support points, and can't be used to manually craft anything.

edit: okay what the gently caress does "your machine is Burned" mean and how do I fix it and prevent it from happening? Turns out when you make a machine, the mod keeps track of the chips used and they can burn out if the Core processor doesn't have enough capacity, because that heats up the machine. If it says Core:2 then the machine can only handle chips that have a total corepower of 2. If the core processor has Core:1 then you probably can't use that core at all(though there are apparently ways to cool a machine?). You have to replace them by shift+rightclicking the machine with a Scrench.
Also apparently Exchangers cannot be used to harvest misty cobblestone to make furnaces because "force drop items mode" does *not* turn off silk touch. Why are furnaces the most annoying thing to craft now?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 23, 2018

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Gotta have furnaces require 64 stacks of cobblestone to make cause that's totally hard and stuff and all the cool kids are doing it so we gotta do it too and artificial difficulty and tedium and stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Uhhh does the Futurepack Flux Transformer work at all? I tried attaching an LV Connector to the red spot and that did nothing. I tried connecting a fluxduct to that spot and that did nothing. I tried the LV Connector again and now it works? What a lovely mod.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Okay let me get something straight. Support points in Futurepack are only generated via machines that autocraft, while they work? The e-reader is a bit vague about it.
It looks like the opti bench is the first machine that generates support points, and can't be used to manually craft anything.

Put two opti benches next to each other and install in both of them whatever chipset that lets them auto-output. Make them perform a crafting loop, like crafting ash into ash blocks and then back into 4 ash. Enjoy infinite SP over time. As a bonus, the inputs in the opti-benches will slowly dupe themselves over and over, because lol bad mod.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Others mentioned no limit, but you will find yourself constrained by how many spreaders you can shoot at it. So you will likely inevitably make another.

I was just worried that it would take a new mana burst as soon as there was any room in the internal rf buffer so would be wasting a whole burst for 1 rf. I don't know how fast it dumps it into the adjacent tesseract so it might not be a problem at all if it never has anything in its buffer.
We can't seem to get our reactor to self sufficiency with mining lasers pulling in new yellorium, not sure at what size that finally happens. Trying to keep it as efficient as possible and pull most of the weight with a bunch of gourmaryllis until then.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

I was just worried that it would take a new mana burst as soon as there was any room in the internal rf buffer so would be wasting a whole burst for 1 rf.

Tesseracts have a pretty large internal buffer don't they? The fluxfield will be happy to waste mana if it can't push RF though. If you were using a cell adjacent to the fluxfield it'd be a bigger problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't used it, since I stopped playing Exoria almost immediately, so this is just an outsider's perspective
but Futurepack seems really bad, based on all the posts in this thread.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Depends posted:

I was just worried that it would take a new mana burst as soon as there was any room in the internal rf buffer so would be wasting a whole burst for 1 rf. I don't know how fast it dumps it into the adjacent tesseract so it might not be a problem at all if it never has anything in its buffer.
We can't seem to get our reactor to self sufficiency with mining lasers pulling in new yellorium, not sure at what size that finally happens. Trying to keep it as efficient as possible and pull most of the weight with a bunch of gourmaryllis until then.

Your worries are founded -- the fluxfield (really, all things that receive mana from spreaders) will happily request and waste a full mana burst to fill 1 mana or 1 RF in its internal buffer. You want to use a comparator on your energy storage to shut off the spreaders when you hit signal strength 13 or 14.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Depends posted:

I don't know about you but I managed to find by hand enough yellorium to fuel a small reactor effectively forever, just running an AE2 system and a small selection of TE machines. I feel like if you're trying to do tech in Blightfall like you might in other tech-focused packs with everything automated by tech, you're in for a bad time.

A mana fluxfield will definitely accept all the mana bursts at once as soon as what it's connected to requires 1 rf though.

McFrugal posted:

Tesseracts have a pretty large internal buffer don't they? The fluxfield will be happy to waste mana if it can't push RF though. If you were using a cell adjacent to the fluxfield it'd be a bigger problem.

Tesseracts have no internal buffer, you might be thinking of Mekanism Entangloporters.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay I got sick of waiting upwards of 10 minutes for Futurepack research to complete without even knowing if it was a required research or not, so I found the command to instantly get all research.
"/fp research @p unlock all"
You're welcome.

OOOOR you can modify the fp.cfg file to massively reduce the research costs. I'd put everything to 0.1 except for Energy which I'd put at 0.01.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 25, 2018

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Okay I got sick of waiting upwards of 10 minutes for Futurepack research to complete without even knowing if it was a required research or not, so I found the command to instantly get all research.
"/fp research @p unlock all"
You're welcome.

OOOOR you can modify the fp.cfg file to massively reduce the research costs. I'd put everything to 0.1 except for Energy which I'd put at 0.01.

It wasn't obvious to me at first but you're expected to build a shitload of calculation modules to speed things up, and use network cable to connect them. I thought they would only affect the time column so I ignored them. Turns out they speed up the energy column as well.

I basically stopped playing Exoria after I completed Futurepack. The satellite stuff that follows it relies heavily on making a lot of Futurepack chips and cores and quantanium and I've had enough of that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VegasGoat posted:

I basically stopped playing Exoria after I completed Futurepack. The satellite stuff that follows it relies heavily on making a lot of Futurepack chips and cores and quantanium and I've had enough of that.
You can't have a really big quest pack without having the final few quest tiers be so tedious and obnoxious that no one wants to play them!
Seriously, of all the big packs this thread's talked about in the past, I think I've only truly finished like 2-3. Most of the others I get to the last few questlines and just can't push on. Even Blightfall I never technically beat because moving the Dawn Machine around this enormous landmass to hit every single block of corruption would've bored me to tears even if it wasn't a total pain in the rear end to move. Then there's the countless others that dip into Avaritia or expect stacks upon stacks of refined products just to have them, some even before the "bonus" creative questlines most packs cram in.

Are people afraid of an actual conclusion in their endgame? Do they want to imagine people will play their pack into infinity and always need more to do? Endings can be satisfying!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Exoria was unique in that what caused me to drop it wasn't an Avaritia-style slogfest, but a combat challenge. I just couldn't be arsed to finish out the last quest, which is "beat Voidcraft."

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

VegasGoat posted:

It wasn't obvious to me at first but you're expected to build a shitload of calculation modules to speed things up, and use network cable to connect them. I thought they would only affect the time column so I ignored them. Turns out they speed up the energy column as well.

Okay, but what about before you have network cable? Pretty sure I hadn't unlocked it by the time the energy costs went up to obscene levels.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Okay, but what about before you have network cable? Pretty sure I hadn't unlocked it by the time the energy costs went up to obscene levels.

It's less that the energy costs are obscene and more that the energy module can only consume so much energy per tick without calculator modules. Besides, once you unlock the RF -> futurepack energy thinger, energy is no longer a concern.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's less that the energy costs are obscene and more that the energy module can only consume so much energy per tick without calculator modules. Besides, once you unlock the RF -> futurepack energy thinger, energy is no longer a concern.

That's what I mean. Higher energy cost means a longer calculation time.
edit: my earlier settings work pretty well for speeding up research, though the scanner minigame is still an unavoidable waste of time.
What have people been doing to get blaze rods? Woot?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 26, 2018

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

McFrugal posted:

What have people been doing to get blaze rods? Woot?

Yup, I was using woot. Blaze needs the level 2 structure. Which requires pixie blocks. Which requires getting pixie dust (the botania ones) from bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VegasGoat posted:

Yup, I was using woot. Blaze needs the level 2 structure. Which requires pixie blocks. Which requires getting pixie dust (the botania ones) from bees.

You can get pixie dust from murdering pixies in the Exoria dimension. The ones that are a flying cube, not the fairy torture ones or the astral sorcery flares.

You can also make a woot farm for pixies. It's level 1, IIRC.