Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Two Beans posted:

I'm switching up my painting workspace. Does anyone have suggestions for a good lamp/lightbulb to use for painting?

I got 4 of these LED overhead lights from Costco, and they are the single best addition to my workspace. They're super light, so you just need a few hooks in the ceiling drywall, and that's more than enough to hold them up. They're also super bright, so if you arrange them in a square around your work space, you get a ton of light and no shadows.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4%27-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I swear by my https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturalight-Task-Lamp-LED-XL-White/dp/B00NG0AY9I

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I've done it with spray cans. It works really well if you're going to just use glazes or washes on the model. If you're going to brush on paint the tonal difference will get lost. At least it has in my experience.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJJDD10 and it's pretty great. Probably not twice as good as the ones that cost half as much, but I don't regret the purchase.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I try to get as much light coming from behind me as I can. Usually this type of floor lamp with a bright daylight bulb is enough.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20301078/

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gunder posted:

The colour you're looking for is Ulthuan Grey.

bonds0097 posted:

I mean, it literally has the world flesh in the name.

Have you tried ulthuan grey?

The Ulthuam grey is a bit grey for my tastes but thanks anyway. White scars over drakenhof nightshade gets me the effect I want.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anything relevant to keep an eye out for on this prime day?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Productive weekend: girlfriend finished her Sigmar duders, and I made some Orks and Boner Boys, all for Shadespire.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sporkie posted:

Thanks! I bought a few Scale75 and I'm frankly in love with the colors and how nice it looks at the end. First line I've been seriously considering dropping the cash for the full set.

It's actually impossible to have too many paints.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ville Valo posted:

Productive weekend: girlfriend finished her Sigmar duders, and I made some Orks and Boner Boys, all for Shadespire.

These minis all look dope as hell.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, the good news is that I assembled my pokey puke marines the other day, so they're all ready to be painted.

Looking at this photo, I realize there's a bit of irony of posing Death Guard in front of a Kleenex box.

Bad news is, the weather here is so blistering hot, it's not real suitable to go outside and spray them, so I'm going to have to wait until it cools down a bit.

I was also looking at the Death Guard paint set, and it seems like you don't have the same paints shown on the box. The fleshy tendril parts have a red/purple color to them, and I can't tell what color you're supposed to paint the blobs or pustules popping out through the armor. I get that the box display figures are 'Eavy Metal works, but even the painting guide in the booklet shows the same photo, and says to paint the tendrils with Rakarth Flesh.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Is there a good paint organization rack sold in Australia? Previous rounds of recommendations have pointed to a Polish company that charges 50 euro for shipping on a ten dollar product.

Failing that, is there a common thing that can be substituted as a paint rack?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Thanqol posted:

Is there a good paint organization rack sold in Australia? Previous rounds of recommendations have pointed to a Polish company that charges 50 euro for shipping on a ten dollar product.

Nail polish display racks.

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WVN2KJH/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's several pictures in customer shots with both citadel pots and dropper bottles.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 17, 2018

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Thanqol posted:

http://www.back2base-ix.com/hobby-desk-organisers.html

B2B ships out of Adelaide.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I have this paint rack in plain MDF, and it is good. Have a dropper bottle long straight and 90° inside corner, a citadel 90° outside corner, a Tamiya 90° outside corner, and a Minitaire/P3 90° inside corner and long straight with drawers. Goes together easy, and everything fits where it's supposed to fit.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Well, the good news is that I assembled my pokey puke marines the other day, so they're all ready to be painted.

Looking at this photo, I realize there's a bit of irony of posing Death Guard in front of a Kleenex box.

Bad news is, the weather here is so blistering hot, it's not real suitable to go outside and spray them, so I'm going to have to wait until it cools down a bit.

I was also looking at the Death Guard paint set, and it seems like you don't have the same paints shown on the box. The fleshy tendril parts have a red/purple color to them, and I can't tell what color you're supposed to paint the blobs or pustules popping out through the armor. I get that the box display figures are 'Eavy Metal works, but even the painting guide in the booklet shows the same photo, and says to paint the tendrils with Rakarth Flesh.

I think it's rakarth or one of the other light flesh tones, with a purplish wash and pallid wych highlight if I remember. Personally I went with the meatiest looking flesh I had, and thinned down a bright red a bunch for the wash/glaze, and highlighted with rakarth or another ugly flesh. Mostly happy with it, but it took me a lot of tests. When in doubt with death guard, go meaty. Always works. Pustules look great in yellow and green too.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any idea why some paints would be tacky to the touch after it dries? My balthasar gold and mournfang brown feel sticky.

Also, I'm going to start using the previous advice about using poster tac to hold the model together for priming - my plaguecaster did not want to go together after painting, and once fully assembled I noticed that I missed painting some spots I had assumed would be joins. I try to mask everything but its hard to tell what is and isnt a join on some stuff. Blightlords and Dark Imperium plague marines are going to be a pain.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
DI Plague Marines are an utter joy to paint, just assemble them and go to town.

The only tacky models I've had were Reaper stuff because Bonesium is loving weird but it's not really issue aside from dropping them in carpet line or something.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I mainly noticed it because I was holding the model as I was painting it, and somehow pressed in a fingerprint despite the paint being dry for a couple days.

I want to assembly my plague marines first, but man there are so many nooks and crannies. I assembled the parts that wont get in the way, but man there's so many dangly bits.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They probably werent mixed well enough. A lot of times, paint will remain tacky if theres more binder than pigment in the mix.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting my Knights:

Knight Gallant 'Honour'

Knight Warden 'Courage'

My Lance so far, Armigers still to come:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Silhouette posted:

They probably werent mixed well enough. A lot of times, paint will remain tacky if theres more binder than pigment in the mix.

Oh shoot, good to know. I should drop an agitator in the pots. Would coating it with a gloss varnish stop it from feeling that way?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fake James posted:

Would coating it with a gloss varnish stop it from feeling that way?

Yup. I've done that with Bones models that I used bad primer on before and it worked out fine. You could probably get away with matte varnish but I dunno, I feel like gloss would be a better "reset" for the surface than matte would.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

God drat amazing poo poo.

Your stuff continually impresses, these guys look awesome. The weathering on the decals is great and you really make the blue and green pop.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

bonds0097 posted:

Your stuff continually impresses, these guys look awesome. The weathering on the decals is great and you really make the blue and green pop.

Thanks man!

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Holy crap those knights

This is the stuff that is really inspiring. Good job!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cross posting my Knights:

Knight Gallant 'Honour'

Knight Warden 'Courage'

My Lance so far, Armigers still to come:

:gizz:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sporkie posted:

I think it's rakarth or one of the other light flesh tones, with a purplish wash and pallid wych highlight if I remember. Personally I went with the meatiest looking flesh I had, and thinned down a bright red a bunch for the wash/glaze, and highlighted with rakarth or another ugly flesh. Mostly happy with it, but it took me a lot of tests. When in doubt with death guard, go meaty. Always works. Pustules look great in yellow and green too.

Only problem is that the Death Guard paint set only comes with one wash: Agrax Earthshade. The yellow in the Dungeon Painter set isn't that good, but I could try the flesh tone and mix it with something to try and get a sickly looking color.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Wow, I'm pretty darn rusty at this.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Another crosspost from 40k land:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Did a trio of Farrow Valkyries start to finish across the evening. Haven't gotten into the painting groove like this in awhile. Tomorrow I'm going to drybrush the shields to give them a bit more definition and spice up the hammerheads in some way.

Easter egg: None of the Valks are natural blondes. (Helga, not pictured, is)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dicking around with Ork skin tones

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Only problem is that the Death Guard paint set only comes with one wash: Agrax Earthshade. The yellow in the Dungeon Painter set isn't that good, but I could try the flesh tone and mix it with something to try and get a sickly looking color.

Ohh, that's right. Hum. Yeah, if you have colors beyond the Death Guard color pack, I'd try to mix flesh with like a tiny bit of purple or red, just to get a hint of bloat/infection going and then lighten that same mix for the highlight. Earthshade should go over that alright, might even 'dirty' it up some. I dunno, just random thoughts.

I've found myself experimenting a lot with Death Guard models, they're kinda tricky at times to get that right shade for the right bit. That may just be me though.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I dunno, something always seems a little off about orks with big pink, luscious lips. Some of those polish 3rd party miniature makers are out of control with their Nazi orks and bandito orks and the Pamela Anderson lip jobs their orks get.

I feel like I’d have to quickly alt-tab to some Raging Heroes models if someone else came in the room.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Think I may have been looking in the wrong place before, cross posting from the 40k thread:

Is there a decent way to touch up/fix paint chipping on a metal model that has been varnished (matte spray?) Most of the google results are about preventing it. Are the 'base' citadel colour pots decent primers on their own? I was guessing the best way would be to start from black base (model was originally undercoated black) and just try blend in the original colours/washes again).

I've chipped up a metal hive tyrant a little while trying to get a drilled-in magnet out of one of his sockets, and I'd like to fix up the chips without having to strip or spray over him again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeast posted:

Nice

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

IPA Regulations posted:

Think I may have been looking in the wrong place before, cross posting from the 40k thread:

Is there a decent way to touch up/fix paint chipping on a metal model that has been varnished (matte spray?) Most of the google results are about preventing it. Are the 'base' citadel colour pots decent primers on their own? I was guessing the best way would be to start from black base (model was originally undercoated black) and just try blend in the original colours/washes again).

I've chipped up a metal hive tyrant a little while trying to get a drilled-in magnet out of one of his sockets, and I'd like to fix up the chips without having to strip or spray over him again.

You can use Vallejo/badger/whatever airbrush primers with a regular brush. It's never going to be as good as it originally was but if you do that larger than the chipped area and then fix the colors and varnish again it will be good enough.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Yeast posted:

Those are badass. Love the equipment colors too.

What kind of camera are you using to take these??

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Quidthulhu posted:

Those are badass. Love the equipment colors too.

What kind of camera are you using to take these??

Thanks!

It's my work camera, so a Nikon D850 with a 60mm macro.

Honestly I wouldn't normally do that, but my iPhone couldn't focus close enough to get the striations on the lips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Now do 200 more