Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Presumably "road" here means "a public road that the government owns and maintains". You can do as you please on any access ways you've built on your own property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jabor posted:

Presumably "road" here means "a public road that the government owns and maintains". You can do as you please on any access ways you've built on your own property.

Yep, if the government doesn't have to pay to maintain it, you can do whatever you want on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Synthbuttrange posted:

Solar panel, sure.

Gas bottle, uuuuh.

Every car should have solar panels, it's ridiculous in this day and age that they don't.

Never worry about flat batteries ever again. Run a fan to get rid of hot air on steamy days.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Run a fan to get rid of hot air on steamy days.

One of the generations of Prius had exactly this setup, it used a small solar-powered vent fan to blow hot air out the roof and suck in fresh from down below while the car is parked. Worth it because it drastically reduces the A/C load to cool the cabin off when you start driving, and by extension the fuel the car burns to run the A/C. I doubt we'll see it on non-smugmachine cars anytime soon, designers are too tied to their aesthetic to ruin it with solar panels.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Haven't Audi had a solar panel sunroof for like, years?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Apparently so! I never think about sunroofs, because I am a neanderthal and that inch of headroom they take away makes them my mortal enemy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I got forwarded a prayer chain email that's pretty OSHA:

So and so was trimming a tree and fell off his ladder, falling 15 feet and landing on his chainsaw. Airlifted to XXX, chainsaw cut his face, bad back pain and no feeling in his legs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good thing they're right on it with thoughts and prayers, don't want to run short of those.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Memento posted:

I don't know if it's still an option. I know the Mazda 929 had it as an option back in 1991.

It seems like a really neat idea that never caught on.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Yeah, and it does the same thing as the Prius: it spins a ventilation fan so your car doesn't get as hot when you leave it parked in the lot. Nice idea, not sure I'd pay for it as an option. But it doesn't charge the battery or provide power to the rest of the car.

I think people are drastically overestimating the power you can get from solar panels on the top of a car. Typical car battery's what, about 45 amp-hours at 12VDC nominal? That's 540 watt-hours, that's about 2 megajoules. I can't find any dimensions on Audi's solar panel, but I think a square meter is being really generous. If the sun's directly overhead of your roof-mounted solar panel, and it's July in Phoenix your 1-meter solar sunroof is going to be producing a few hundred watts. That's several times what a car battery trickle charger is going to put out, but again, that's at noon, in July, in Phoenix.

Alternator in a modern car's putting out 1-2 kilowatts. If that's not keeping your battery charged, the solar roof ain't gonna do it. Prius's electric motor is 53 kilowatts. Even if you covered the entire upper surface of the Prius in solar cells it's not going to make a big difference.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 17, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It'd do more for keeping a 12v battery trickle charged than charge it from flat yes, but I don't think sensible people are suggesting trying to charge a tesla from a sunroof panel.

E: I'm suggesting if you put a solar panel on your roof it should be connected to the cars battery as a free trickle charger if it's not circulating air. Flat batteries are more commonly from parasitic drains than from no charging operation surely?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 17, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tactlessbastard posted:

I got forwarded a prayer chain email that's pretty OSHA:

So and so was trimming a tree and fell off his ladder, falling 15 feet and landing on his chainsaw. Airlifted to XXX, chainsaw cut his face, bad back pain and no feeling in his legs.

Pretty hardcore to pray for that to happen to him. He mus have pissed off someone big time.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The best part is all the stupid poo poo people try to do to filter the dye out of the diesel. Hilarious breaking bad style distillery setups all to avoid the fuel taxes.

Apparently filtering through bread worked for a while in the UK, though you could only do so much per loaf. I had a college friend who's parents owned a bakery in SW England, and he said farmers would regularly buy up all the old stale loaves "to feed the chickens".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hobnob posted:

Apparently filtering through bread worked for a while in the UK, though you could only do so much per loaf. I had a college friend who's parents owned a bakery in SW England, and he said farmers would regularly buy up all the old stale loaves "to feed the chickens".

That was how you were supposed to get the methanol out of methylated spirits so you could drink it and not go blind/die.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

It'd do more for keeping a 12v battery trickle charged than charge it from flat yes, but I don't think sensible people are suggesting trying to charge a tesla from a sunroof panel.

E: I'm suggesting if you put a solar panel on your roof it should be connected to the cars battery as a free trickle charger if it's not circulating air. Flat batteries are more commonly from parasitic drains than from no charging operation surely?

If a car is being driven even semi regularly, it's hard to get enough parasitic draws to drain a healthy battery to the point of not starting the car.

I do find a solar charger to be useful on my boat, which often doesn't get driven for months during the off season, and the trickle charge is plenty to keep the battery healthy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Pretty hardcore to pray for that to happen to him. He mus have pissed off someone big time.

They're very vindictive, those Catholics

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If a car is being driven even semi regularly, it's hard to get enough parasitic draws to drain a healthy battery to the point of not starting the car.

My radar detector and bluetooth OBD dongle have combined to drain the batteries of a few of my cars to the point of not starting if I go a couple of days without using them, especially in the winter. I drive a lot (~28,000 miles/year) but since I work from home I can go a few days without needing to go anywhere.

If I forget to plug in to the trickle charger or unplug those two things there's a good chance I'm going to get a really slow crank or total failure to start.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Nissan Leaf has a solar panel on the spoiler just to make sure neither battery goes dead.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hobnob posted:

It absolutely works, provided you burn the bread first. I've met enough alcoholics and urban outdoorsmen in my line of work to confirm that, yes, apparently this does work.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:patriot::911:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not like you really need precision targeting with nuclear weapons.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

"How accurate do these missiles need to be Jim?"

"Well they're nuclear, so... Not very?"

*scratches out missile, scribbles in rokkit*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Doesn't this hot take still leave Musk a lovely person? If you are not a lovely person then when uncover evidence that someone is abusing children you immediately send the evidence to the authorities. You don't use it as a snarky weapon on twitter while children continue to be abused.

yo we've got a thread for elon musk stuff. I'm just quoting this post because it was reported by someone asking for an elon musk thread. try and keep stuff about musk there

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Literally this. These were like that Davey Crockett gun. The idea was if there's a Soviet bomber formation, one or two can knock out the group of bombers over Alaska.

This was also the 50s before we invented SAMs/Air-to-Air missiles with guidance. Nike rockets were...you guessed it, nuclear-tipped, unguided weapons meant to aim at masses of bombers.

To prove its safety they detonated one overhead with 5 guys tricked asked to stand at ground zero to prove missiles wouldn't kill civilians.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I recall reading a story somewhere about a training mission where one of the planes that could carry the Genie was put up against some newer fighter that could realistically wipe the floor with them, so after a few "deaths" the crew of the lesser plane decides to modify their imaginary loadout and scores a massive "kill".

The actual story is a lot better written than my retelling, up there with the SR-71 speed check story, but I can't find it right now so hopefully someone else knows where to find it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

We also developed a nuclear torpedo because we were convinced that the Soviets had 10s of thousands of subs in the water at all times in all places.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And a nuclear-powered missile that would fly around spewing radioactive exhaust and smaller nuclear bombs everywhere.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

My radar detector and bluetooth OBD dongle have combined to drain the batteries of a few of my cars to the point of not starting if I go a couple of days without using them, especially in the winter. I drive a lot (~28,000 miles/year) but since I work from home I can go a few days without needing to go anywhere.

If I forget to plug in to the trickle charger or unplug those two things there's a good chance I'm going to get a really slow crank or total failure to start.

Yeah, but that's hardly equipment that's standard.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, but that's hardly equipment that's standard.

They are also usually connected to switched power, too.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s goldmined.

Here are Jose’s posts in the thread. His situation is revealed to the thread here

Balcony photo is posted here.

e: Good photos here and here if you want a direct injection.

You know what? This just solidified Jose as an excellent mod that stays chill in the face of danger and pressure. Make him Admin, I say!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose posted:

yo we've got a thread for elon musk stuff. I'm just quoting this post because it was reported by someone asking for an elon musk thread. try and keep stuff about musk there

link?

e: nvm

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862848

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

dis astranagant posted:

We also developed a nuclear torpedo because we were convinced that the Soviets had 10s of thousands of subs in the water at all times in all places.

Man, we really are the dumbest nation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

wolrah posted:

I recall reading a story somewhere about a training mission where one of the planes that could carry the Genie was put up against some newer fighter that could realistically wipe the floor with them, so after a few "deaths" the crew of the lesser plane decides to modify their imaginary loadout and scores a massive "kill".

The actual story is a lot better written than my retelling, up there with the SR-71 speed check story, but I can't find it right now so hopefully someone else knows where to find it.

It's written in kind of a dumb way but here it is

quote:

I was a Captain stationed at Tyndall AFB as an F-106 Instructor. This day my wingman, a fellow Captain and Instructor, and I were scheduled for Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT) with two F-16s from Shaw AFB. I was to be the Instructor for the training on the Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation Range (ACMI) over the Gulf of Mexico, a highly accurate tracking system that would record all maneuvers in the airspace by the aircraft, score all shots taken and simulate any kills. None of us had ever fought against the other type fighter. Tactical Air Command pilots considered Air Defense pilots a lesser breed.

I started the preflight briefing after introductions with the Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) and his wingman a Lieutenant (LT). The LTC immediately interrupted and informed me that he had no idea why they were scheduled for DACT with aircraft that were far inferior to the F-16 and that it would not be much of a challenge for them resulting in very little effective training. He stated that we should engage with full up all weapons capability for both fighter types even stating that though they only had heaters (heat seeking missiles) and guns he saw no disadvantage for them. I hid the fact that he had pissed us off and verified that he meant for us to use the full weapons capability of the F-106. He replied, of course you can! Obviously he had no idea what we carried between our legs, a clueless state of mind! I smiled as I looked at my wingman while stroking the inside of my thigh; this pecker checker was going to get hammered when the Genie popped up!

I briefed the LTC to take his flight to the farthest most southern point of the airspace and be prepared to attack the coastline that we would defend. We would place ourselves on “Five” (five minute alert) and scramble when we saw him takeoff giving him the advantage of being ready when we arrived. I told him to be sure to look at the F-106 ramp on takeoff to verify that we there on “Five” and this would be important during the debrief. We briefed two engagements followed by join up for 1v1 basic fighter maneuvers (BFM), him versus me and the wingmen against each other.

The fun began as they lifted off and saw us on the edge of the ramp, “communicating”, with a raised finger over two rising moons! We had a hard time getting our crew chiefs to stop laughing so we could launch. A gate (full afterburner) climb to 41,000 feet put us in the airspace in 6 minutes when I called “fight’s on”! I felt sorry for my wingman because he would not get a shot on this first engagement. One minute later I called “Fox 3, KILL, two F-16s north bound at 18,000 feet. Nock- it off, nock-it off, fights over, return to your safe area,” was immediately passed to the Viper pilots. The LTC was so confused that the ground control intercept (GCI) controller had to tell him he had been shot by a “NUC” (Genie nuclear tipped rocket) and that him and his wingman were DEAD so return to your point! I told GCI to inform him that we had one more Genie but that we wouldn’t use it on the next engagement.

Score: Darts 2, Vipers 0

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

duz posted:

Because the Soviets developed fast and deep-diving nuclear submarines that would have been difficult to kill with conventional torpedoes (the Mark 37 was electric and not all that fast) and so we developed a torpedo with a nuclear warhead to counter them?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

duz posted:

thats just the official reason. the real reason for the nuclear torpedo is a whole bunch of engineers and physicists etc had to justify their salary

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

It's written in kind of a dumb way but here it is

quote:

I smiled as I looked at my wingman while stroking the inside of my thigh; this pecker checker was going to get hammered when the Genie popped up!

uhhh....

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The AIR-2 had a pretty small warhead, though, only 1.5 kT, and a lethal blast radius of only about a thousand feet. It would've been mostly useful for taking out large formations of planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

uhhh....
[/quote]

The military is gay as hell.