Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If I get to general rank in (for example) Steel Meridian, and then level up an opposing syndicate, how does that work? If I level meridian back up, will I have to spend prime parts / potatoes at each rank if I want to get it back to max rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If I level meridian back up, will I have to spend prime parts / potatoes at each rank if I want to get it back to max rank?
Nope! You still have to earn the standing to go back through all the rank tiers, but doing so will be free if you've already paid previously.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

SpaceDrake posted:

I do appreciate how, while simultaneously being incredibly alien (Sentient wormships when, DE) both Hunhow and "Mother" have a very human failing: they're both horribly abusive to Lotus and engage in constant psychological manipulation.
Another thing I like about them is that they were pretty much the heroes of the Old War (the creepy invading alien species being completely in the right, that's not something you see every day) but became so consumed by their bitter vendetta that now they're the bad guys.
I am curious what exactly their goal is in reigniting the war.

We're probably going to get Lotus back just for completely practical reasons: At this point she has so much dialogue and voicework that replacing all of it would be a logistical nightmare, and keeping the staticy fake version forever would just be awful, not just because it's really annoying already, but also because having the protagonist's mother die for the third time would go beyond tragedy and into straight-up farce.

Helter Skelter posted:

My gut feeling is that it's because Warframe isn't a competitive game, except maybe in the sort of friendly, "yo, watch me just get all the kills" sense. Like a track meet where everyone is armed with flamethrowers.
I think another factor is actually the game's obtuseness and hostility to new players. Everyone remembers going in completely lost and confused, and being guided and helped by other community members. This kind of support creates a positive environment that encourages those players to be positive in turn, unlike in say Overwatch where the game's design encourages people to get frustrated and blame each other, which creates more frustration, which becomes more toxicity.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Sancti Tigris

Get this soon as you can. While the Prime has higher base damage and better damage falloff, the Sancti's faster reload and awesome AOE (corrosive damage + health restore) makes it better than the Prime for anything except the toughest enemies, imo.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Mantees posted:

Hey guys, I mighy be weird but I still have difficulties understanding this game.

I have an Excalibur and a Rhino, and I get that they have different powers, but as you don't have the energy to use those powers that much, 90% of the gameplay doesn't feel too different with one Warframe or the other.

People say that a different Warframe is like a different class, but classes are generally very distinct, and Warframes not so much?

I get where you're coming from. I watched a demo video of Anthem and the power suits definitely behave differently per their "class". The small one moves faster while the big one walks like a tank. Warframe tried that before by maing Rhino and Frost run slower. But it became irrelevant with the movement system so they stopped making new frames run slower. Combine with every frame can use every weapon, I get how each frame feels the same. It's when you start using the powers that each frame's 'personality' comes out. Warframe is not meant to be played with mostly your guns and use a power every 2-5 minutes. Some frames can spam their powers, some can keep using their powers from start to finish and not use a single bullet. Many powers are used in conjuction with certain guns.

quote:

Also I am not sure that I like the concept of collecting new weapons and start grinding them from 0 again. In looter games generally the point is that you become stronger and stronger. It seems to me that Warframe is different and that you grind for variety, not for power.

The level of your weapons don't directly correspond to its power. A level 0 weapon with no mods is the same as a level 30 with no mods. The difference is the mod points meaning how many mods you can put in there. Mods are the one that controls actual power level. Also, if you're, say, Mastery Rank 5, any weapon you build will get free mod points as if it were a level 5 weapon. It will gain more mod points when it goes beyond level 5 as usual. I would advise to rank up your basic damage mods (Serration, Hornet Strike, Pressure Point, Point Blank) at the same mod point as your mastery rank. For instance, if you're MR8, just level up the mods up to 8 mod points. This would ensure any weapon you made would be able to use the main damage mod immediately.

You also don't have to replace a fully leveled weapon immediately. You make new weapons for mastery rank and trying them out. It is advised that you bring one good, leveled and modded weapon instead of fresh new frame and weapons. Unless you're going to low level missions or joined a power leveling group.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
There's another kind of problem with the frames and new players: new players generally get access to the older frames first. The newer frames, starting from about the time the Second Dream came out onward (so folks like Titania, Nidus, Ivara, Octavia, etc) play nothing like each other or other frames, especially once you hit level 10 and unlock the full kit. At this point the early frames do a somewhat poor job of illustrating the variety of abilities the frames can have, IMO.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

wid posted:

But it became irrelevant with the movement system so they stopped making new frames run slower.

But if you want something with a different feel try Nezha (slippy), Titania (jumpy) and Zephyr (floaty).

Titania also leaves behind a bulletjump buff for your team.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I love that Trinity Prime, for example, can be ran just fine solo and contribute damage like anyone else. I haven't seen a support class that contributes to the progress like that since the Cleric in 4th edition DnD.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Terry van Feleday posted:

I think another factor is actually the game's obtuseness and hostility to new players. Everyone remembers going in completely lost and confused, and being guided and helped by other community members. This kind of support creates a positive environment that encourages those players to be positive in turn, unlike in say Overwatch where the game's design encourages people to get frustrated and blame each other, which creates more frustration, which becomes more toxicity.

There's also the co-op nature meaning if someone doesn't know something, they're underperforming on your team so it's to your advantage to make sure they know stuff. Whereas in competitive games it gives you an advantage if someone doesn't know about a certain mechanic.

That said I'm getting very tired of having to explain to people why they don't need to revive me as Inaros and just kill whoever's around me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I love that Trinity Prime, for example, can be ran just fine solo and contribute damage like anyone else. I haven't seen a support class that contributes to the progress like that since the Cleric in 4th edition DnD.

Ye, the good thing about Warframe is that every frame can hold a gun. So even if their abilities are extremely useless you can still shoot fools in the face.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Ok, I popped a clan application in, I'm enjoying this game a lot more now. It is making more sense.

Did a couple of defence missions and lost on wave 20 which sucks, but at least I killed some Exemis enemies (apparently, I didn't notice them being much different than the usual enemy types).

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

I do appreciate how, while simultaneously being incredibly alien (Sentient wormships when, DE) both Hunhow and "Mother" have a very human failing: they're both horribly abusive to Lotus and engage in constant psychological manipulation.

But yeah Lotus is cool and good, and I hope we do get to bring her back and complete the circle: she's not some kind of omnipotent mother, but that's cool, because we like Lotus for who she is, not who she tries to be. There's a meta level on this too - Lotus is kind of associated with Reb Ford, and I do wonder if they're actually going to "get rid" of Lotus as mission control or bring her back, because Reb is super popular with the fanbase and would be sad on that level if Lotus went away for good.

Yeah, I really hope they bring lotus back after the New War. WF's story has been running along the theme of acceptance and coping with who/what you really are, so I expect we'll eventually help Space Mom come to terms with being a weird tentacle bone monster. The tennocon art panel had me chuckling as well with Reb going "I guess I'm the villain now!?" :( I can't imagine them writing her out of the story with how popular the game has been getting, unless she suddenly up and got a different job.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

So I guess farming up Nidus is impossible now? Infested Salvage appears to be bugged to stop progressing a little ways into the second rotation, poo poo just stops spawning, the decryption progress stops counting, and the golem from that old Jordas mission starts screaming sweet nothings at you from nowhere.

Rather annoying, as I wanted the horrifying Fleshframe.
That only seems to happen if you let one of vaporizers corrode down to zero. Get yourself a 3-4 tenno squad, make sure there is at least one person on duty on each of the units and you should have no problem reaching the C rotation without running into this bug.

Question regarding Eidolon hunts (saw the discussion a few pages back). Every time I read about those people keep talking about sniper rifles exclusively. Are other weapons simply not viable? Like, I have a pretty decent Braton Prime setup with corrode damage, thing eats grineer ships flying over the plains (the only weapon I was able to shoot those down with thus far), was wondering if that'd work against eidolons or is it simply no-go.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know about impossible but Eidolon hunts are all about putting out as much single target damage as possible at fairly long range so a sniper rifle is so far and away the best possible option.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For all the newbies, if you have an interest in trading / selling your syndicate rewards (there are a substantial number!) I would recommend the right side because there seems to be more clan members that chose the left side syndicates. At least I’d be willing to buy / trade for lots of stuff from Perrin and New Loka since those two are the ones definitely locked out if you’re on the left side.

Frames can certainly be tanker than others and thus permit sloppier / aggressive play styles better. Everyone can parkour and melee but not everyone can be permanently cloaked whiling whipping everything in a blender and not all frames can provide buffs to others like 50% crit and 75% damage reduction. The base state of the game is a high mobility shooter and the frames provide all the flavor between that.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
You can kill eidolons with anything if you're not in a hurry but nothing compares to the crit multipliers of a sniper combo counter.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey goonies, question time! I feel bad for making GBS threads all over clan chat so I thought I would bring it here. I'm a returning player with a bunch of frames, some forma'd weapons and stuff. I just got my first prime mod, shotgun damage for my Hek. Beyond that single primed mod I just have easy to acquire low level stuff.

I'm starting to run into a road block trying to do Sorties and level 40+ content. I do not have any weapons capable of punching through enemies anymore and my frames other then Rhino Prime are having survivability issues. How do I go about correcting this? I have issues with jumping around from weapon to weapon and frame to frame because they are all so much fun!

My main loves right now are Baza (2 Forma), Boltor Prime, Hek (2 Forma) and Ignis Wraith and frames are Rhino Prime and Octavia.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

because there seems to be more clan members that chose the left side syndicates
That's not that surprising given that "right side" consists of: a) ecoterrorists without a clue (that use infested as hitmen for some reason), b) crazy murderous fanatics (that also inexplicably use infested as hitmen), and c) offshoot of the corpo-cult (that secretly ain't that bad, but you don't get to know that until you run Glast Gambit much later on). That... doesn't really look favorable when compared to the alternative consisting of: a) grineer defectors fighting to defend the weak, b) group that is explicitly based around supporting the Tenno and c) a friendly Cephalon trying to preserve knowledge. The rewards themselves don't really come into equation at the point choose their syndicates, seeing as at MR3 you tend to not have much basis for knowing what's good.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

njsykora posted:

There's also the co-op nature meaning if someone doesn't know something, they're underperforming on your team so it's to your advantage to make sure they know stuff. Whereas in competitive games it gives you an advantage if someone doesn't know about a certain mechanic.

That said I'm getting very tired of having to explain to people why they don't need to revive me as Inaros and just kill whoever's around me.

You say this yet I can NEVER seem to drain enough life to revive myself as Inaros. I have to be doing something wrong.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

For all the newbies, if you have an interest in trading / selling your syndicate rewards (there are a substantial number!) I would recommend the right side because there seems to be more clan members that chose the left side syndicates.
Also the right hand side is the only one that has Nekros mods, and everyone wants Nekros mods.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Terry van Feleday posted:

New Lenses you gain via doing Tier 3 & 4 Bounties on Cetus, and only Bounties on Cetus. So I hope you like those! That said, they can also be traded with other players if you just can't seem to get ones for your school(s) of choice.

You can skip bounties and grind focus via Dolan hunts. Feel free to join into any Goon group, but I'll warn you that your first few tries will be confusing and chaotic. But, like must stuff in Warframe, one or two people can easily carry newbies through. Especially/at least the first (of three) Dolans.

That said, Cetus bounties have very good immediate rewards (e.g., Gara parts, weapon blue prints (Ghouls), set mods, etc.) and intermediate term rewards (rep, which you can convert into crafted weapons). In addition to those focus lenses.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Lenses are the only ways to unlock schools though.

And EOS with lenses is a nice alternative to doloning.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey goonies, question time! I feel bad for making GBS threads all over clan chat so I thought I would bring it here. I'm a returning player with a bunch of frames, some forma'd weapons and stuff. I just got my first prime mod, shotgun damage for my Hek. Beyond that single primed mod I just have easy to acquire low level stuff.

I'm starting to run into a road block trying to do Sorties and level 40+ content. I do not have any weapons capable of punching through enemies anymore and my frames other then Rhino Prime are having survivability issues. How do I go about correcting this? I have issues with jumping around from weapon to weapon and frame to frame because they are all so much fun!

My main loves right now are Baza (2 Forma), Boltor Prime, Hek (2 Forma) and Ignis Wraith and frames are Rhino Prime and Octavia.

It might be time for you to consider elemental weaknesses, because they get a lot more important now. Against grineer it's a good idea to use radiation damage on high powered slow firing weapons like the hek. For faster firing weapons, corrosive is better since the status procs shred armor. For corpus, gas procs will bypass shields and magnetic will shred shields so it's a good combo.

For survivability you can start considering frames that can avoid damage instead of just tanking it. Ash, Loki and Ivara for example can avoid damage by being invisible. Zephyr can deflect bullets. Volt can put up impenetrable shields. Mirage is surprisingly hardy with the doppelgangers drawing all the aggro. Comedy option wukong simply won't die as long as he has energy.

But another thing about survivability (more higher level focused) is that for frames that can't avoid damage like this, the only solution is killing enemies faster than they can kill you or even see you. Warcrime frames like saryn and equinox fit the bill here.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Malek Deneith posted:

Question regarding Eidolon hunts (saw the discussion a few pages back). Every time I read about those people keep talking about sniper rifles exclusively. Are other weapons simply not viable? Like, I have a pretty decent Braton Prime setup with corrode damage, thing eats grineer ships flying over the plains (the only weapon I was able to shoot those down with thus far), was wondering if that'd work against eidolons or is it simply no-go.

There are kind of "Tiers" of eidolon hunt. The thing about it is, it's a one-hour event that takes place once every 3-4 hours, and in that one hour you can loot as many bosses as you can kill. So there's a real speedrun element and people have minmaxed it beyond all belief. Here's the strategies I've seen.

NewbDolons:
Bring whatever you want. One person needs to have the ability to mitigate the magnetic phase, so either Harrow or Oberon or Limbo. Everyone shoots the shields down with whatever amps they've got, everyone shoots at a node and hopefully picks the same one. Still best if one person gets and handles the lures early. Expect to kill 1 Tridolon (terralyst, gantulyst, and hydrolist) at most. Probably just the Terralyst a couple of times.

SemiproDolons:
Trinity, Chroma, Harrow, Volt. Everyone should have a non-mote amp. VS recommended but not required. Only Chroma really needs a sniper, but count on your Chroma sucking and bring one to snipe out joints just in case. Your sniper should be modded for radiation damage.

Trinity: Acquire 6 lures at the start. Shoot down shields throughout, spam 4 throughout for lure healing and dmg reduction
Chroma: Shoot down the shields, maintain your ginormous self buff, use your sniper rifle to one-shot the weak points when shields are down.
Harrow: Shoot down the shields, use your 4 to make everyone invincible during magnetic proc
Volt: Acquire 1 lure at the start. Charge this first, to use on boss 1 while Trinity is gathering 6 for the other bosses. Shoot down the shields, place your own shields that everyone can shoot through for additional damage buffs.

Expect to kill 2x3 at most.

ProDolons:
Trinity with VS
Chroma with UW or, barring that, Zenurik
Harrow with VS
Volt with VS
Everyone should have a 223 or a 123 amp.

Same as SemiPro, except everyone gets there ten-fifteen minutes early and begins charging void strike. Use pizza spam to let the charge rise indefinitely. You want 50x or more. One person should dump their VS charge per boss, i.e. first boss Harrow, second boss Harrow and Volt can fire, third boss Harrow/Volt/Trin, that way you're stripping shields in 1-2 shots for Chroma to nuke the weak point by himself. Once the first rotation is done, all additional rotations should work just like SemiPro except everyone is generally on the ball. If you aren't doing anything in a given moment you should be charging for your next shot always.

Expect 4x3 at current peak performance

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2018

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
The game seems to be going with the whole growing up theme, and part of that is realizing that your mom isn't actually an omnipotent mission control but a person in her own right, with her own struggles and history. So I think we'll get her back eventually. We may have to shoot her mother to death first though, because fistfighting your grandma is also an important part of growing up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Posting this mostly so I don't forget to claim it myself.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Pretty much right after I posted about cephalon scanning I jump ingame and find the two I need. Oh game RNG, always giving what you need as soon as you complain.

That let me jump to the next planet (phobos?) which I then spend a bit too much time but also knocked out the boss and bounced to another planet. Had to stop the urge to 'one more mission/alert' and just go to bed. This game is drat good at 'just one more quick thing' to keep you playing.

I even tossed a few bucks in for plat just to expand my inventory. Heck I'm having fun so reward the game makers with a bit of cash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Posting this mostly so I don't forget to claim it myself.

Thanks for posting this!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ashye posted:

Oh game RNG, always giving what you need as soon as you complain.

That's extremely true.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

SemiproDolons:
Trinity, Chroma, Harrow, Volt. Everyone should have a non-mote amp. VS recommended but not required. Only Chroma really needs a sniper, but count on your Chroma sucking and bring one to snipe out joints just in case. Your sniper should be modded for radiation damage.

Trinity: Acquire 6 lures at the start. Shoot down shields throughout, spam 4 throughout for lure healing and dmg reduction
Chroma: Shoot down the shields, maintain your ginormous self buff, use your sniper rifle to one-shot the weak points when shields are down.
Harrow: Shoot down the shields, use your 4 to make everyone invincible during magnetic proc
Volt: Acquire 1 lure at the start. Charge this first, to use on boss 1 while Trinity is gathering 6 for the other bosses. Shoot down the shields, place your own shields that everyone can shoot through for additional damage buffs.

Expect to kill 2x3 at most.

Wouldn't a phoenix renewal + smite infusion oberon be a better choice? It's a more reliable buff for chroma + tenno downtime hurts...

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
You don’t have to coordinate your garden location when using harrow

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My experience with the game is one of utter confusion. That said, there was a class in Mass Effect that had biotic charge. You would charge someone, knock them on their rear end, and then promptly shotgun them into oblivion. It was ridiculous and fun as gently caress.

Is there a roughly analogous frame here? I was looking at it and it seems like Rhino would fit the bill, sort of?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Sounds like you're looking for Atlas. Rhino's charge is also great, along with everything else he does.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonkish posted:

My experience with the game is one of utter confusion. That said, there was a class in Mass Effect that had biotic charge. You would charge someone, knock them on their rear end, and then promptly shotgun them into oblivion. It was ridiculous and fun as gently caress.

Is there a roughly analogous frame here? I was looking at it and it seems like Rhino would fit the bill, sort of?

Rhino is exactly that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Rhino is just like playing a vanguard krogan.

This is a way better mass effect game than andromeda.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Today I discovered that I have these

Those are from the raids right?
Has DE moved them to be obtainable from somewhere else or is this exclusive veteran content now?

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Did you buy a strun yet? It's a purchasable shotgun which will melt things and make you feel good about shotgunning the faces off fools.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Rhino is just like playing a vanguard krogan.

This is a way better mass effect game than andromeda.
Full on slam/charge vanguards were the poo poo. The nearest you get audiowise is Valkyr, but the whole charge / slam / shotgun cycle was just fun as hell

I guess if you used Rhino's 1 & 4 it'd be similar, but without the silly noises it's just not the same...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jack Trades posted:

Today I discovered that I have these

yeah those look like LOR rewards. As far as I know they are now unobtainable, though you never know, in 2024 after Railjack 3.0 they might reintroduce LOR 2.0 :v:

Mimesweeper posted:

Sounds like you're looking for Atlas.

I agree that Atlas punching is amazing and you should try this out for sure. Rhino charge, to me, just isn't as satisfying. But there's no reason not to try both.

Gonkish posted:

My experience with the game is one of utter confusion.

warframe: nothing is documented, everything is happening.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And if you get Rhino's charge augment he then gets even more armor from bowling fools over so becomes even more unkillable allowing you more time to shotgun said fools.