Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't put too much stock in star ratings. They're a very general and often misleading guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I assume you’re not a megabastard since “too expensive” is a thing for you, so have you looked for a loaner? Megabastards often have spare keepers out for loan, sometimes pretty good ones and sometimes you don’t even have to pay for them. A loaner can tide you over until you get a real keeper of your own.

Your in-house 2 star keeper is probably fine for now though if he’s big and has high Communication

He is playing a MLS team which I assume means that he can not easily loan anyone from Europe or do anything about it really. I actually don't know.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Find a big centre forward and stick him in goal.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

He is playing a MLS team which I assume means that he can not easily loan anyone from Europe or do anything about it really. I actually don't know.

It looks like I can place a loan request for international players, although there’s nobody I want whose club is willing to loan them so I can’t actually see whether it works at the moment.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Trading in MLS is pretty easy, you could probably swap a few draft picks for a decent keeper.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my family is dying

Lemon
May 22, 2003

FM2018 is 66% off on Steam for the next 4 hours, I've just cracked and bought it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Overall, I think FM2018 is my favourite yet - the frustrating 1-0 losses to teams with only 1 SOT have gone way down, although I did lose 1-0 to a team with zero shots on target (own goal), which I've never seen before. Still, I've enjoyed it a great deal more than many predecessors. I enjoyed a lot of advancements in 17 but found the match engine relentlessly frustrating.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I bought this like 6 months ago and just now got into playing it and holy crap does it feel like they obfuscated scouting specifically to target people like me who routinely scour the globe for thousands of prospects and would probably be better off using a third party scout cheat

I can see why they did it but not sure I can enjoy this

joe football fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 17, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it’s not your cup of tea the third party scouting cheat utility is still there for you :cheers:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Buy finished players in their late twenties from your domestic rivals instead.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

NutShellBill posted:

I also love the challenge in starting off in the lowest of the low British leagues. (Weston super Mare and Bath are my poisons of choice.) And I beeline for the Canadian job, because I'm Canadian, and legit have an inkling of who is decent, and an undue sense of national pride.

My question to you is:

How do you get past the work permits? Without fail, I am always told they are being denied a work permit. I appeal, and still no go. I've even hired guys who playing in the Vanarama leagues the year before, only to have their permit expire, and have them sent back to their home country.

Yeah, sorry - I rolled a soft Brexit with no changes to the English league rules. So I just have a filter for Canadians with a second EU nationality, of which there's enough for my needs.

E: I should also note that u23 gigs are for Olympics and their qualifiers only, so they're low rep, infrequent games on a four-year cycle. U19 or u21 roles will be more fun. On the plus side AI managers don't seem at all interested in u23 roles. I got the Canada knowledge though.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 17, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If I fire my, say, eight most useless guys who I never play, will that tank the morale of the rest of my squad?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Weedle posted:

If I fire my, say, eight most useless guys who I never play, will that tank the morale of the rest of my squad?

Check the Squad Hierarchy. If no-one likes them, do whatever the hell you want.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Finally got promoted to the Championship. Some bastard went out and poached my star winger by hitting the minimum release clause, how rude. Well, okay, that leaves a giant, gaping hole in my roster since nobody else can play either ML or AM(L) at a decent level even for relegation-scrapping championship play, so time to go look through my scouted players and see who I might be able to pull in with the *checks* 3 million US dollars I'm getting for my star and the $500k/year of salary space I'll be losing, since to try to be competitive in the new higher league I basically maxed out spending!

And now I'm hyperfucked because the contract negotiations for my outgoing striker are going really slow, and I made an enquiry and started negotiating prices for acceptably slightly-worse substitutes, but they all proceeded to the point where I couldn't stall anymore before my outgoing star left and so the board won't actually let me offer reasonable money for anyone and I had to walk away from five separate negotiations. And now every single suitable replacement hates me and I guess I either throw out a 17 year old backed up by a 16 year old who are both frankly poo poo or I don't play anyone on the entire left side of the pitch anymore, or I start drunken-sailor offering people I haven't even scouted yet. :( Goddammit, Maddison, if you're going to loving leave, leave! Now I'm proper dicked because I thought you'd be leaving promptly and everyone who could replace you hates me for jumping the gun on negotiations to replace you! :saddowns:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain work permits to me.

Like when I sign a wonderkid it always says work permit failed but then they can still play every game in the league?

Is this soft brexit or a bug or can young players just play?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

algebra testes posted:

Can someone explain work permits to me.

Like when I sign a wonderkid it always says work permit failed but then they can still play every game in the league?

Is this soft brexit or a bug or can young players just play?

Most work permits will fail on the initial application for wonderkids however you can appeal the decision. Maybe you just missed the message that their appeals went through?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ragingsheep posted:

Most work permits will fail on the initial application for wonderkids however you can appeal the decision. Maybe you just missed the message that their appeals went through?

Thats what I thought! But it happened again, failed twice, I sign him and he doesn't get the WP status and can just play.

Now I feel like I have cheated with my 4 South American Wonderkids!!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Is your Brexit the "17 foreign players" version? In that case I don't think Work Permits matter.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is Football Manager the only video game that features Brexit?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

Is your Brexit the "17 foreign players" version? In that case I don't think Work Permits matter.

Ah this is is it, its the 8 players trained in england version.

Thanks for that it was driving me mad.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's 2023 in my FM17 save and Brexit still hasn't happened.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also its poo poo like this that makes me love fm, Im Danish coach and Nik loving Bendtner is my AssMan despite being a "scout by trade" and he keeps suggesting the dumbest loving teams and giving the shittedt tactical briefings.

The one briefing was literally "we should defend."

Game rules game owns.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Get your wallets ready, gentlemen. FM 2019 is up for pre-purchase. Hilariously enough, the Steam page doesn't list a single new feature other than the Bundesliga being licensed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shroud posted:

Get your wallets ready, gentlemen. FM 2019 is up for pre-purchase. Hilariously enough, the Steam page doesn't list a single new feature other than the Bundesliga being licensed.

Not having to dick around deleting those fake.lnc files is worth it

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shroud posted:

Apparently they'll be telling us about new features in a month and a half but they are of course happy to take our money now.

(also there's no loyalty discount this year, just 10% off and beta access for preordering).

sebzilla posted:

Not having to dick around deleting those fake.lnc files is worth it

Unironically true but I still gotta make them work for that sale.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

sassassin posted:

First FM19 new feature: The sweeper position doesn't exist any more.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Does the Libero role still exist though, this is important

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Does the Libero role still exist though, this is important

It'll exist but not work.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ah no change then

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh lol I never had dickhead ownsers before. End the season with 170 mil in the bank, qualified for Champions League.

I get 20 mil for transfers, 30 mil in bonuses for directors. :thunk:

Season begin and they now have 140 mil in bank and only give me 20 percent of revenue from transfers.

Edit: also I am afflicted with both anecdotal problems with fm18: always missing penalties (i am like 1 for 8) and united winning the league 7 years in a row lmao.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sack your penalty taker.

Or sell him to United.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I found a lot more penalties got missed by good takers in FM18 than previous years

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Just reinstalled FM2014.

Reliving my past like an idiot as I've now spent the last four hours annoyed that my scout can't scout, that no one wants to come to my club on loan, that no club wants to buy off my dinosaurs that I no longer want, and that I can't bring in any young prospects from other countries because the work permit always fails. And I lose more matches than I win. Should've taken a job with a 2nd division club in my home country; instead I'm slaving away in who-know's-where in the Sky Bet League 2. :argh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That's one of the reasons I like managing in Belgium - you can sign anyone from any country in the world. I mean, you can't sign anyone good, because most teams have atrocious reputation, but you can in theory.
France also has one of the loosest interpretations of EU imaginable for the purpose of squad registration rules - an interpretation that includes all of Africa (except Libya, Egypt and Sudan), the Caribbean and even Uzbekistan. It's great.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
Does Germany have some kind of hidden "killer regen" tag or something? I've never had a world-beater (or really first teamer) naturally occur in a youth system at any club I've managed in previous FMs, but I took over Jena in 3.Bundesliga and holy poo poo I had two insane AMCs pop up in my youth system at launch. Both will probably be playing for the German national side by age 20; I've never had this happen before.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Cthulhumatic posted:

Does Germany have some kind of hidden "killer regen" tag or something?

There's a fixed score given to each country called "Youth Rating" that, in some unspecified way, influences the quality of regens you get in any given country (alongside club facilities, HOYD, and the various other factors)

Germany has the second-highest score in the game for it, slightly behind Brazil. So yes, they kinda do.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

It makes me really mad that the youth rating score is fixed, now that we have dynamic league reputation it should be some sort of algorithm based on that and league ranking, imo

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

You can change them in the editor

Best thing to do is set every nation to 200 and then you just sit back and watch the crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

It makes me really mad that the youth rating score is fixed, now that we have dynamic league reputation it should be some sort of algorithm based on that and league ranking, imo

I mean, I get what they're trying to do - model factors external to the clubs that affect how good players from each nation are (and make more variation between club youth setups in different countries than a 1-20 scale, or four 1-20 scales, can provide, and bias the simulation towards more "realistic" outcomes even in the face of optimistic researchers overrating their clubs' youth setups).

But there are a ton of other ratings for nations that cover all the non-club factors that actually lead to this (importance of the sport, economic power, population, probably even more) so I don't even think the youth rating score should exist at all: regen quality should just be influenced by the stuff they were already measuring (and make THEM dynamic too, just for funsies).

But for now I just use a database that evens all the scores out and move on with my life.