Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

Never noticed literally any of that, not a single one of those symptoms (edit: or any of the ones you've claimed previously, literally zero problems on any of my GSync panels in the last 4 years, on 3 different uarchs). :shrug: I've especially never heard nor seen a GSync panel having flickering problems, ever. And in principle, GSync displays should be the most-validated displays on the market. Maybe your Windows installation is just broken as gently caress? Or, is not on the Deferred Update Channel?

e: but reading your post history, if you are actually using Borderless Windowed, you are exposing yourself to needless pain, as always happens when you add a couple extra layers of drivers just for funsies. If you are running borderless then you are adding a couple Windows layers to the picture too. But past that, it really sounds like Personal Problems.

It's a laptop GSYNC display and I always run games fullscreen when using it. It is a known problem that occurred with the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update. I just now checked the megathread for the issue on the NVIDIA forums and their customer service rep, as of 3 days ago, posted that it will be fixed in the next driver update.

Glad you don't run into any problems, though, buddy! Too bad lots of other people do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

My single point of anecdotal evidence is all the data required to make a judgement.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A new standard was just announced for connecting VR headsets using a single USB-C cable: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...er-Devices.html

That pretty much confirms the earlier rumour about Ampere/Turing having a new output specifically for VR.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

repiv posted:

A new standard was just announced for connecting VR headsets using a single USB-C cable: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...er-Devices.html

That pretty much confirms the earlier rumour about Ampere/Turing having a new output specifically for VR.

It says these have a USB 3.1 data channel. The maximum cable size for USB 3.1 gen 1 is 2m. Gen 2 is 1m.

Is the cable filled with repeaters or something? This doesn't sound very standard.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Rexxed posted:

You're three days late for that sale but I'm sure there'll be another one along soon.

Oh, bummer.. the way it was said made it sound like normal prices had dropped that far.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm excited for all ports to be USB-C, so it won't matter what you plug into where and still getting calls from my mom about not being sure where to plug something in.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

I'm excited for all ports to be USB-C, so it won't matter what you plug into where and still getting calls from my mom about not being sure where to plug something in.

Except it does still matter what you plug into where, because there's a bunch of alternate modes that aren't guaranteed to be supported by any given USB-C port.

A USB-C port may or may not support any combination of Thunderbolt, HDMI, Displayport, MHL and now VirtualLink :suicide:

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 17, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

All ports are going to be USB-C, but not all ports are going to support the same feature. No mom, you need to plug it into the identical looking port for monitors. Also, you're using the wrong cable. You need to use the identical looking cable that offers more bandwidth.

USB-C is a loving mess. Buying a longer USB-C cable that supports the bandwidth for DP alt mode was needlessly complicated.

eames
May 9, 2009

"I bought this 4K Vive 2 and plugged it into the only port of my 12" Macbook but it doesn't work, pls help"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Reality check on the GPU market: TUL Corp is an AIB partner that only sells GPUs (PowerColor brand), no other products, and is exclusively AMD. Their revenue is down 28% y/y and 59% q/q. They sold more GPUs in March than all of Q2 combined. :drat:

Gigabyte is a much more diversified company, and their revenue is down 31% y/y, 30% m/m, and 33% q/q.

(from that SeekingAlpha guy a week or so ago)

Looks to me like the ballparks about "30% of GPU sales being crypto-related" were insanely low. I'd say they were sucking up at least half, possibly more like 2/3 or 3/4 (with gamers taking some demand back up as prices have come back to sanity).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 17, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My nvidia driver experience currently is: since the last quake update a couple weeks ago I have to restart after every single loving match, because otherwise a minute or two into the 2nd match I start seeing stutters and by the time it ends it's borderline unplayable, while my amd gpu having friends (and some guy still on an amd phenom, even, so it's definitely not the cpu) play normally. this despite the fps counter staying around ~100. :psyduck:

I've never experienced something like this during the >10 years I had radons before this. The most annoying thing I had was a glitches with crossfire in games that weren't officially supported.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reality check on the GPU market: TUL Corp is an AIB partner that only sells GPUs (PowerColor brand), no other products, and is exclusively AMD. Their revenue is down 28% y/y and 59% q/q. They sold more GPUs in March than all of Q2 combined. :drat:

Gigabyte is a much more diversified company, and their revenue is down 31% y/y, 30% m/m, and 33% q/q.

(from that SeekingAlpha guy a week or so ago)

Looks to me like the ballparks about "30% of GPU sales being crypto-related" were insanely low. I'd say they were sucking up at least half, possibly more like 2/3 or 3/4 (with gamers taking some demand back up as prices have come back to sanity).

I'm not sure if we can go that far yet. Those crypto-related sales are now being offloaded into the used market, so you'd expect those to further depress new sales, at least temporarily.

E: Add in the "will they/won't they" for the 11/20XX release and I don't think we'll be able to say anything definitive until after the next generation releases and sales stabilize.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 17, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Truga posted:

My nvidia driver experience currently is: since the last quake update a couple weeks ago I have to restart after every single loving match, because otherwise a minute or two into the 2nd match I start seeing stutters and by the time it ends it's borderline unplayable, while my amd gpu having friends (and some guy still on an amd phenom, even, so it's definitely not the cpu) play normally. this despite the fps counter staying around ~100. :psyduck:

I've never experienced something like this during the >10 years I had radons before this. The most annoying thing I had was a glitches with crossfire in games that weren't officially supported.
Sound like some kind of memory leak issue. Try turning down one graphic setting to the lowest at a time and see if lowering one fixes it. Maybe some texture/shader stuff.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Truga posted:

I had this too with my 1080. I haven't played it yet on AMD though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have been hesitant to wade in, so this is my sticking my toe in:

Both AMD and NVidia drivers have been well-behaved for me. They have to, I use their professional cards.

But recently I notice that when things go wrong, the Nvidia drivers tend to recover a bit more gracefully.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you want GSync bugs, the GPU sticking to the high performance power state when there's two or more GSync displays was a pretty longstanding and annoying bug. And it still does it on Linux.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I seem to play more on the side of "Update only when I have to".

I usually install the latest driver at some point, if it works fine then I stick with it until I hit a new game or something that requires a driver update to work/run well if its absolutely broken.

For the most part this is few and far between.

Moreso for thing like my 1070 powered EVGA SC17, the Bios needed an update to use anything newer than the driver that the laptop shipped with because of some boot to black screen issue (would work every 2nd boot which was stupid) that was fixed and its all been gravy ever since with it's G-Sync screen and everything.

I have used and seen both sides drivers at their best and worst.. The worst of AMD was pre AMD during the ATI days and Windows Vista.. When you got Error 43 on one of the two GPU's that made up the 4870X2 and the only way to fix that after bashing my head against that issue for a solid week was a fresh install. Ugh. Nvidia came close with the drivers from the 8800 days and Vista as well. Pretty much nobody was ready with X64 drivers that worked correctly until about SP1 era..

Since then its been minor things but not something that usually couldn't be fixed or worked around for a while at least. I guess I've gotten lucky.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have been hesitant to wade in, so this is my sticking my toe in:

Both AMD and NVidia drivers have been well-behaved for me. They have to, I use their professional cards.

But recently I notice that when things go wrong, the Nvidia drivers tend to recover a bit more gracefully.

Sorry, you have to aggressively take one side or the other, otherwise you won’t be allowed to post anymore.

I stand with Matrox.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
Back when I had a 9800GTX and a 260 Core (something) I had BSOD's every time I updated drivers. I think that was more Vista's fault than anything. AMD I had a 7950. Never had any major issues. OCing my korean 1440p monitor to 96hz was a pain in the butt. Now I have a 1080 and occasionally I get errors installing new drivers but I've had no problems with it either. I do miss AMD's newer driver program.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thread, tell me what I should do. I want to play some modernish games - Assassin's Creed Origins, or Witcher 3, say - and have them look good. My monitor is crappy, but it's just a few feet away from a 55" 4k TV, so I reckon an HDMI cable can help me there. Should I buy a 1080 now (which I can afford) or wait a bit, save some more and get a 1080Ti (or the equivalent 11xx card if they're out)? I'm more indecisive than usual on this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
11X0 might be announced around a month from now at Gamescom, so wait until then and see what prices and performance will look like.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Albinator posted:

Thread, tell me what I should do. I want to play some modernish games - Assassin's Creed Origins, or Witcher 3, say - and have them look good. My monitor is crappy, but it's just a few feet away from a 55" 4k TV, so I reckon an HDMI cable can help me there. Should I buy a 1080 now (which I can afford) or wait a bit, save some more and get a 1080Ti (or the equivalent 11xx card if they're out)? I'm more indecisive than usual on this.

If you are targeting 4k max settings, a 1080 is right on the 60fps borderline in most games, but some titles do dip into the 40s. The nextgen 1080Ti-equivalent will give you some more cushion to run most everything current at 60fps, and more future titles at 60fps too.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1939?vs=1940

For a 4k max target specifically, I think I would wait.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You might first want to at least test the 4K TV to see if input lag is tolerable, some are really awful.

At couch distance you won't really appreciate 4K on a TV and rendering games at 1080p might look better overall since your framerate will be capped.

If you're OK to sit up close, then yeah, try to wait for 11-series cards.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Albinator posted:

If you're willing to roll the dice a bit, used EVGA 1080 ti SC2's are going as low as $540-$580 on ebay now. If you wait for the 15-20% off coupons that pop up about once a month, they'll be $440-480 which is solidly in the current new 1080 price range. I say "roll the dice", but it's really more a matter of potential hassle - you can always get refunds on defective items and EVGA cards should have 2+ years of transferable warranty remaining.

Definitely try gaming on the TV first to make sure that the input lag is acceptable.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Truga posted:

My only problem for the last couple of months of updates is that I can't set my color profile after choosing limited dynamic range output in Nvidia Control Panel anymore so everything either looks really washed out and gray or I deal with color banding from the full range setting on my S2716DG.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Large, impossible to fully verify software projects have bugs? Why I never.

Though seriously - if you are getting frequent driver crashes with WHQL drivers, and a format clean install with stock settings doesn't fix it - it's time to replace/rma something.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
I've had some problems with AMD drivers in the past (including the corrupted cursor bug), but nvidia pushed an update that made my PC bsod on boot. Had to reinstall windows.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Ive had new drivers from both NVIDIA and AMD physically damage my cards; wish Intel was a viable alternative. For now I just run with old drivers and let other people playtest new ones until I'm forced to upgrade.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So I held off buying a GPU earlier, as the prices seem to be coming down a bit. Now I'm looking at a new GTX 1060 6GB, but which producers/models should I avoid? The ones for sale locally seem to be:

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-O6G 6144 Mt (349€)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 AERO ITX 6G OC 6144 Mt (319€)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6144 Mt (319€)
Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6144 Mt (339€)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 6144 Mt (329€)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD 6144 Mt (369€)

What is the difference between Dual, Aero, Armor and so on? Are any of the models mentioned above deficient, overly noisy, easily overheated or something? I have a full-size tower desktop that I don't leave on at night, so noice is not that much of an issue.
I would prefer to buy the thing from a local store, as that would make possible warranty issues that much cheaper (I live in Finland). Which of these would you fellows recommend and which should I avoid?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ataxerxes posted:

So I held off buying a GPU earlier, as the prices seem to be coming down a bit. Now I'm looking at a new GTX 1060 6GB, but which producers/models should I avoid? The ones for sale locally seem to be:

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-O6G 6144 Mt (349€)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 AERO ITX 6G OC 6144 Mt (319€)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6144 Mt (319€)
Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6144 Mt (339€)
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 6144 Mt (329€)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD 6144 Mt (369€)

What is the difference between Dual, Aero, Armor and so on? Are any of the models mentioned above deficient, overly noisy, easily overheated or something? I have a full-size tower desktop that I don't leave on at night, so noice is not that much of an issue.
I would prefer to buy the thing from a local store, as that would make possible warranty issues that much cheaper (I live in Finland). Which of these would you fellows recommend and which should I avoid?

Rule out the "ARMOR" - the ARMOR HSF assembly is widely disliked in the GPU world (except to be bought cheaply so their coolers can be removed and replaced with waterblocks), even though the 1060 doesn't ever really get hot enough to potentially stress it. The ASUS "DUAL"s are okay, and the only difference between those two listed above is the "O6G" has a factory overclock, hence it being 10EUR more expensive. The MSI "AERO" is a single-fan unit, hence it having ITX in the name. The Gigabyte probably has the best cooler assembly on that list, but as said before, the 1060 doesn't get that hot.

My recommendation on that list would be the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6144 Mt (339€) - you can typically get the overclock they apply to the 349EUR model on your own and save money.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Like Big Headline said, the main difference is cooling and those are all have relatively equivalent mid-tier cooling (with the exception of the single-fan MSI AERO itx, which will run hotter). The differences in boost clock are entirely unimportant in 10X0 cards, because overclocking the card is as simple as installing MSI Afterburner and moving a slider. The cards automatically throttle at 83 degrees, so it's not possible to damage them by overclocking (unless you disable the temperature throttle).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 18, 2018

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

lDDQD posted:

I've had some problems with AMD drivers in the past (including the corrupted cursor bug), but nvidia pushed an update that made my PC bsod on boot. Had to reinstall windows.

Man, I'd forgotten the corrupt cursor bug! How long did that keep reappearing? From like 2001 to 2016 right? Memories.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Stickman posted:

Definitely try gaming on the TV first to make sure that the input lag is acceptable.
Thanks all for this (and the other) advice. I'll try a few rounds of Super Meat Boy on it, I reckon that'll give it a fair shake.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Man, I'd forgotten the corrupt cursor bug! How long did that keep reappearing? From like 2001 to 2016 right? Memories.

Ohh, so that's why my mouse cursor gets all weird every now and then? I'm still using a 7870 and that's been annoying me for years, although it's not regular enough for me to have ever actually bothered to look into it.

I'm relieved it's not a corruption in my OS install or something, really.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Thanks for the hints! I wasn't quite sure on the differences between models and that explains quite a bit.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

HamHawkes posted:

Back when I had a 9800GTX and a 260 Core (something) I had BSOD's every time I updated drivers. I think that was more Vista's fault than anything. AMD I had a 7950. Never had any major issues. OCing my korean 1440p monitor to 96hz was a pain in the butt. Now I have a 1080 and occasionally I get errors installing new drivers but I've had no problems with it either. I do miss AMD's newer driver program.

Microsoft reported that nearly 30% of all Vista crashes were related to Nvidia drivers. https://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/. ATI accounted for less than 10% in comparison.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

Microsoft reported that nearly 30% of all Vista crashes were related to Nvidia drivers. https://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/. ATI accounted for less than 10% in comparison.

It's not quite as far apart in you consider the differences in market share at the time (Nvidia had 20-70% more of the market over the period the article mentions). That still puts Nvidia at ~2x the driver failure rate, though (not accounting for potential differences in use patterns).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wish to rant for just a moment. When it loving rains, it loving pours.

My PC was running a (comparatively) very old CPU. Core i7 920 - first generation. Still runs everything great, get high framerates in my games (Mostly thanks to using a GeForce 970 GTX card) and no slowdowns, but obviously I'm long past time to upgrade. So on Tuesday during Prime Day I dropped a hefty chunk of change to get an 8700k and compatible motherboard (Only ~$50 cheaper than usual but cheaper is cheaper). I then dropped another hefty chunk of change on a new case (Better airflow, more clearance for the larger CPU cooler I intend to use) and 16GB of DDR4 3200 RAM. All the components will be here by friday, except the CPU cooler which will be here Monday.

Tonight, I noticed an odd sound coming from my PC. I check it out immediately and lo and behold - one of the fans on my 970 has seized, one is making unusual sound, but the third is fine. Just what I needed, having just spent a large sum of cash on computer upgrades.

But! At least it's just the fans. The card itself was running fine, just warm. I removed the heatsink, removed the shroud and am going to do my best to clean the shroud and fans thoroughly at work tomorrow; if I can get it spinning at all I'll use it through the weekend, otherwise I'll avoid putting any stress on the GPU whatsoever. I'm going to order replacement fans no matter what, but of course they won't be here until Monday. They aren't expensive, but damnit it's just really annoying timing. Thank god I don't need to replace the entire card; that's one expense I was REALLY hoping to put off until later in the year.

Can't really blame Gigabyte for the fan trouble, dust gets into everything and one of the other reasons I'm getting a new case is to reduce dust via positive airflow. And at least replacing the fans is easy enough. That card has been rock solid until. now.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Even if your 970 was off warranty, you would be able to replace the stock HSF assembly with an aftermarket solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can remove the broken fan and zip tie a bigger, less broken fan over the opening. Cleaning and re-pasting is a good instinct tho.