Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Boz0r posted:

I've played Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment with my girlfriend, and I'm looking for something in the same vein. I've tried getting her to play Monkey Island with me, but I think it's too silly, maybe.

I had a ton of fun doing this with Until Dawn, if you have access to a playstation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

ReWinter posted:

I had a ton of fun doing this with Until Dawn, if you have access to a playstation!

I don't, sadly, only a PC. It looks neat, though. I love campy slashers.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Boz0r posted:

I don't, sadly, only a PC. It looks neat, though. I love campy slashers.

It's not out yet, but Frogwares, developers of the Sherlock Holmes games, are making a Cthulhu game called "The Sinking City":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zJKpkOHHE

If you look on youtube, there's more footage, including a gameplay demo from E3.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 13, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Boz0r posted:

I've played Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment with my girlfriend, and I'm looking for something in the same vein. I've tried getting her to play Monkey Island with me, but I think it's too silly, maybe.

Ace Attorney games? They're pretty much the same. You can emulate them pretty well these days. Also, you can get Until Dawn on PC via the PS Now streaming service if your internet is good enough.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What are some good games in the "fantasy shopkeep simulator" genre, besides Recettear? I've been itching for a fun shop sim type game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good games in the "fantasy shopkeep simulator" genre, besides Recettear? I've been itching for a fun shop sim type game.

Shoppe Keep is entertaining

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Moonlighter is almost like a spiritual sequel to Reccetear.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 14, 2018

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Hello Sailor posted:

Looking for recommendations for "hero party" games like Guild Wars 1 and the ground combat in Star Trek Online. Not the type where your NPCs are too weak and/or stupid to survive without you; I mean the sort where they can eventually roll through enemies like a hot knife through butter, leaving you to do quest objectives and whatnot.

I've been looking for something similar forever. A tactical rpg with a semi-autonomous party.

Only games which come to mind would be the really old Dungeon Siege 1+2 and the Dragon Age series. Especially the first Dragon Age had a rather deep scripting system for your party members.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

credburn posted:

Besides Monster Hunter, (I intend to get the PC release of World coming up) what are other games of this vein? I don't particularly mean just the smacking on a big monster for hours kind of thing. I mean...it's something about the sheer number of materials. It's about the crafting. It's about how, if I DID play multiplayer, my character would absolutely function different than anyone else's because mine is made up of so many different particulars. I love this poo poo. What else is like this? What else has me doing a loop and crafting and hunting and building and crafting...I don't exactly know what it is about this. 70 hours so far, Jesus gently caress.

Guild Wars 2 is an MMO but it has a lot of crafting and it's very easy to get into that hunting -> materials -> crafting loop. Each character can only learn two of the like 8 crafting disciplines at a time, though.

Horizon: Zero Dawn owns bones, but the crafting isn't as extensive. The combat feels more Monster Hunter-y than GW2's, though.

Terraria, of course, has crafting and materials out the rear end.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

Dudes, I'm somehow really hooked on God Eater. This dumb loving game is just about going into an arena and smacking flesh golems with pool noodles until they die, but something about it keeps me doing it again and again. I'm not even doing multiplayer; I generally hate multiplayer. This loop is extremely satisfying to me. I go in, hunt for poo poo, get out. I love how many materials there are. There are like thousands. I love the chance-based drop stuff. I don't know why. I understand this is something of a Monster Hunter ripoff?

Besides Monster Hunter, (I intend to get the PC release of World coming up) what are other games of this vein? I don't particularly mean just the smacking on a big monster for hours kind of thing. I mean...it's something about the sheer number of materials. It's about the crafting. It's about how, if I DID play multiplayer, my character would absolutely function different than anyone else's because mine is made up of so many different particulars. I love this poo poo. What else is like this? What else has me doing a loop and crafting and hunting and building and crafting...I don't exactly know what it is about this. 70 hours so far, Jesus gently caress.

Prey 2017 has great crafting, although it's nothing like Monster Hunter. You scavenge the station for an armload of space garbage & alien guts, and dump it all into a recycler machine to get material cubes that you can plug into a fabricator machine to make more supplies with. There's just something incredibly enjoyable about the visuals, sounds, and interface for recycling and fabricating.

Stardew Valley and Dying Light give you a ton of stuff to find and build, too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

Looking for recommendations for "hero party" games like Guild Wars 1 and the ground combat in Star Trek Online. Not the type where your NPCs are too weak and/or stupid to survive without you; I mean the sort where they can eventually roll through enemies like a hot knife through butter, leaving you to do quest objectives and whatnot.

Pillars of Eternity 1&2, especially 2.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Hello Sailor posted:

Though the scope isn't the same, more recent games in the Musou/Warriors games work similarly to this.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Moonlighter is almost like a spiritual sequel to Reccetear.

I thought it would be, but it really isn't. I had some fun with Moonlighter, but ultimately I think it is a bad game for a number of reasons, many of which don't become apparent until fairly late on in the game. It has it's merits, but ends up being less than the sum of it's parts. I can go into details if anyone is desperate to know, but I'd avoid it if you're looking for a shop/town simulator. Also, I cannot finish it (PS4) as it hard crashes right before the final boss :shrug:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really Pants posted:

Prey 2017 has great crafting, although it's nothing like Monster Hunter. You scavenge the station for an armload of space garbage & alien guts, and dump it all into a recycler machine to get material cubes that you can plug into a fabricator machine to make more supplies with. There's just something incredibly enjoyable about the visuals, sounds, and interface for recycling and fabricating.

Stardew Valley and Dying Light give you a ton of stuff to find and build, too.

It's the jackpot noise on a slot machine slightly modified to be deeper.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

I thought it would be, but it really isn't. I had some fun with Moonlighter, but ultimately I think it is a bad game for a number of reasons, many of which don't become apparent until fairly late on in the game. It has it's merits, but ends up being less than the sum of it's parts. I can go into details if anyone is desperate to know, but I'd avoid it if you're looking for a shop/town simulator. Also, I cannot finish it (PS4) as it hard crashes right before the final boss :shrug:

I too thought it sucked, but it seemed like a good suggestion based on the content.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Something I just thought of: Odin Sphere. It's a great sidescrolling brawler in its own right, but it also has a lot of crafting of consumables to use in combat and foodstuffs for permanent stat upgrades, and its easy to just get into a groove of crafting to become an unstoppable pasty-eating death god.

It's on PS2, and apparently there was a remake, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, for PS3/4.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hammerstein posted:

I've been looking for something similar forever. A tactical rpg with a semi-autonomous party.

Only games which come to mind would be the really old Dungeon Siege 1+2 and the Dragon Age series. Especially the first Dragon Age had a rather deep scripting system for your party members.

At least some of the Ultima games also have the same kind of "blob of heroes all attacking simultaneously" thing going on. Dunno if it's all that tactical though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

It's not SUPER tactical but FF12 uses essentially the exact same scripting system as the first Dragon Age (it's not quite as deep but it will feel very familiar). You tend to have to take direct control during more difficult fights but the scripting can still do quite a lot for you, and it's relatively smart about execution of scripts beyond the simple instructions that you give: for example if you script "Any ally -> Cure Poison", in the top priority slot, rather than just casting that all the time and doing nothing else, it will interpret that as "if someone is poisoned, your #1 priority is to cast cure poison on them". Likewise if you set up casting some kind of buff to cast, it will apply it to anyone that doesn't have it, then ignore it until it wears off and cast it again.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
My wife is replaying Eternal Sonata, and she's just happy as a clam. Are there any other rpgs like it? Something pleasant and cutesy and colorful? I looked it up to see if there was any sort of follow-up , but it looks like mostly Tales games from the publisher, which I know nothing about. She doesn't care for the Final Fantasy games, and it needs to have intuitive combat like Eternal Sonata. Any other games similar to it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Narzack posted:

My wife is replaying Eternal Sonata, and she's just happy as a clam. Are there any other rpgs like it? Something pleasant and cutesy and colorful? I looked it up to see if there was any sort of follow-up , but it looks like mostly Tales games from the publisher, which I know nothing about. She doesn't care for the Final Fantasy games, and it needs to have intuitive combat like Eternal Sonata. Any other games similar to it?

Tales (probably Symphonia to start with, Berseria is meant to be good but the combat system seems over complex for a beginner) or Ni No Kuni 1/2 (They're plot independent so no need to play in order). Dragon Quest is more traditional but pretty simple and absolutely oozing with joy and charm

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can say the combat in Tales of Berseria is braindead easy on Normal and below. All you have to do is play Velvet and mash buttons while ocassionally pressing R2. I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and can count on one hand the number of combat encounters I've failed.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Narzack posted:

Tales and Nino already mentioned. Grandia I and II (haven't played any of the later ones but they may be similar), Breath of Fire III and Skies of Arcadia come to mind. All of them are pretty old so will probably have quality of life issues, but then again so is Eternal Sonata (PS2? I remember liking it, but never finished) so that may not be a problem.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gravy Jones posted:

(PS2? I remember liking it, but never finished)

360/PS3

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Narzack posted:

In your research, you may read that Star Ocean has that "3rd person action combat per encounter" system that Tales has. I'd say it's also not very good

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Narzack posted:

I'm not sure what platform Eternal Sonata was on, but if you have a PS4 or PC available, Ni No Kuno II is pleasant, cutesy, and colorful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's also Child of Light, a very charming little game with a beautiful soundtrack, storybook visuals, and a not-too difficult combat system.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

Tales and Nino already mentioned. Grandia I and II (haven't played any of the later ones but they may be similar), Breath of Fire III and Skies of Arcadia come to mind. All of them are pretty old so will probably have quality of life issues, but then again so is Eternal Sonata (PS2? I remember liking it, but never finished) so that may not be a problem.

I played Grandia III, and it was pretty clearly rushed to release. It's not terrible, but it feels pretty disjointed, like a lot of content got cut. I also found the characters to be less distinct and fleshed-out than in II. Basically it's pretty forgettable.

But hey, while we're on the topic of game recommendations, has any more modern game imitated the Grandia combat engine? It's a realtime-with-pause system taking place in an open 2D arena. Every combatant has a position on a time bar that looks something like this:
code:
|-------------------|---------------->
WAIT              DECIDE    CHARGE   ACT
They start in WAIT, and gradually gain IP (initiative points) until they get to DECIDE, at which point they choose an action and target (or you choose, for PCs). Then they progress to ACT, with the rate of progression depending on the chosen action. For example, a standard Attack action happens nearly instantaneously, though the combatant still has to run up to their target and swing at them in realtime. Using items from the inventory is also pretty quick. Spells and techniques take longer to charge (though part of character progression is choosing spells/techs to improve, which reduces their charge time). The Defend action happens instantaneously, so if there's a monster winding up to smash your PC's face in, you can still sneak in a block. When you're at DECIDE, you can look at all the combatants that are in CHARGE and see what their chosen action is and who they're planning to do it to, but you have to gauge how long it'll take before that action takes effect, which make include walking and animations.

There's also attacks that have a "Cancel" ability which knocks combatants out of CHARGE and back into WAIT, so at least in Grandia II (which is a pretty easy game), much of the fun of the combat is trying to line things up so that your enemies never get to hurt you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That’s actually exactly the same system that Child of Light uses!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
FWIW Child of Light is currently 66% off at Humble. And yeah, it's a little on the slight side compared to most JRPGs (not always a bad thing), but definitely fits the bill.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, will check it out.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I've never played a Yakuza game and have a PS4. Which version of Yakuza should I get first?

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 18, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Badger of Basra posted:

I've never played a Yakuza game and have a PS4. Which version of Yakuza should I get first?

I started with Kiwami, the remake of 1, but you can start with it or 0.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

There are multiple characters that are in both Kiwami and Zero that are significant but not given much time in Kiwami. Playing Zero first will give you a better sense of those characters in Kiwami, but you may feel like those characters aren't enough time in Kiwami. That was my experience having done it. I predict that playing Kiwami first will make Zero feel more like it's fleshing stuff out that isn't necessarily reflected in Kiwami. Zero is significantly longer than Kiwami, if that matters to you, but if you like either of them, you'll want to play both to completion.

I'd suggest starting with Zero first just so you play it before playing Kiwami 2, which comes out August 28th.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 18, 2018

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm looking for a new turn based multiplayer game to play. I'm looking for something with relatively low time per game, maybe 15 minutes maximum and that doesn't require 100% attention during opponents turn times. I'm hoping for something a little more innovative than the bog standard MTG or Hearthstone style. I do enjoy opening booster packs to feed the crow in my brain, begging for more shinies. Ideally there would be an android version so I can play at work or whatever but that's not a requirement.

For reference, I loved Duelyst a couple of years ago for it's quick games, relatively friendly business model and interesting take on the CCG genre. That seems to be on life support right now though so I'm looking for a new game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nvm eternal would be terrible

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Deformed Church posted:

I'm looking for a new turn based multiplayer game to play. I'm looking for something with relatively low time per game, maybe 15 minutes maximum and that doesn't require 100% attention during opponents turn times. I'm hoping for something a little more innovative than the bog standard MTG or Hearthstone style. I do enjoy opening booster packs to feed the crow in my brain, begging for more shinies. Ideally there would be an android version so I can play at work or whatever but that's not a requirement.

For reference, I loved Duelyst a couple of years ago for it's quick games, relatively friendly business model and interesting take on the CCG genre. That seems to be on life support right now though so I'm looking for a new game.

Faeria is a free to play CCG that combines a card game with a light hex-based tactical grid where your mans fight around resource points. I find it pretty good, and it's been around a while, so it has a robust feature set. No phone version.

In a somewhat strange move, they're actually moving from the FTP model to pay to play. If you create an account now, you'll essentially get the game and access to the base card set for free. After that it'll be ~$14 for future expansions if you care.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Armello seems to be the mellow TBS game of choice among a couple of my friends.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Badger of Basra posted:

Start with Zero, it's the better and more content rich game. Kiwami is more like a DLC pack for Zero (Albeit one with a 20-30 hour campaign and a full set of sub stories. However the substories are generally simpler and less fleshed out compared to the ones in Zero).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's that time again! Can you reccomend a good hidden object game? I love playing them with ~*the fiance*~.

So far we've done Hidden Folks and Adam Wolfe and enjoyed both a lot, but I'm looking for something that is more directly just a no-frills "Find the object" sort of thing. Adam Wolfe had some logic puzzles that frustrated her (I enjoy them myself). The lighter the narrative the better, really. Hidden Folks was pretty much ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

That’s actually exactly the same system that Child of Light uses!

Gravy Jones posted:

FWIW Child of Light is currently 66% off at Humble. And yeah, it's a little on the slight side compared to most JRPGs (not always a bad thing), but definitely fits the bill.

I looked at the trailers and some gameplay videos, and while it does look like a cool game, one of the important things that is missing compared to the Grandia approach is that a lot of combat actions take place in real time. When one of my PCs gets to the DECIDE point, there may be enemies running around on the battlefield, other PCs in the middle of attack animations, etc. When a spell or tech hits ACT, it takes place immediately, but everything else takes some additional time because of movement and attack animations. I really liked the judgement calls of "can I get this spell off before that monster finishes running up to my buddy to whack her in the face?" or "can I run up to that monster charging that spell and whack it in the face before the spell goes off?" Plus there's things like "which AoE spell do I use to hit as many enemies as possible, considering that some of them are moving around?" and "man, my party is really clustered, maybe I should move this character away from the others so we don't all get zapped if the enemy uses an AoE."

And it's always nice to have a PC's turn come up when a monster is just a few frames away from completing their attack animation on the PC. Not only do you get a nice dramatic pause screen, but there's the satisfaction of making the monster whiff as you reposition the PC, or having the PC defend just in time.

Child of Light looks like it still has some judgement calls of "will this spell charge faster than this other spell", but without the 2D positioning and realtime playout of actions I don't think it'll scratch the same itch.