Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

to be fair you deserve it if your lead party member is any indication

Tressa deserves nothing but good things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Hunter is great as a subjob. It gives you a thunder attack, an all-enemy attack that can break most enemy's bow defense, a single target version that costs less SP and a turn manipulation tool that lets you set an enemy to the end of every turn for X turns.

Also offers some of the best physical stats and gets you Axes/Bows so it combos really well with Olberic, Therion and even Alfyn.

Oh that turn manipulation part sounds pretty fantastic actually. Maybe I'll go Therion/Hunter, then (if only so Alfyn isn't "wasting" the addition of axes).

Your Computer posted:

Not sure how much I enjoy the hunter as a sub job, but the only way to double up on jobs is to have the "original" in your party since only one person can use a specific sub job at a time.

drat. Well I can still double up on Merchant I guess, because Alfyn/Merchant sounds pretty promising, though with Therion getting Hunter maybe Alfyn or Tressa could get Warrior.

I wonder what's "better": Alfyn/Cleric and Tressa/Warrior, or Alfyn/Warrior and Tressa/Cleric? Alfyn/Cleric puts a lot of my support on one dude but maybe turning Tressa into a stronger physical attacker isn't the best idea on the party member who can donate BP. At the same time, I'm sure Alfyn is going to spend a lot of his turns concocting, especially in boss fights, so turning him into a full support bot might be a great idea?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 17, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
does anyone else just rhythmically press the b button while dashing around town in order mess around with the animation cycle?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I had mostly settled on H'aanit warrior, Ophelia scholar, Tressa apothecary, Primrose thief, but now I want to do Ophelia warrior and Primrose scholar :ohdear:

But I enjoy having Primrose use Peacock Struct on Ophelia and then Ophelia melting everything with Firestorm, since I got a sweet cutscene between the two of them and they're best friends now.
Being able to have Tressa give Ophelia BP before she attacks is nice too, Primrose is too fast for that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Andrast posted:

Tressa deserves nothing but good things

I'll be sad if Tressa's story doesn't end with her becoming a millionaire

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ethiser posted:

If Ophelia isn’t on the team I make Alfyn a Cleric. My needs to constantly heal people and not use consumables means I don’t bust out concoct unless it’s a boss battle.

Olberic lowkey makes a great cleric. I stack a ton of defense on him anyway so his heals are pretty nice. His unboosted 8sp group heal goes off for ~600 right now for me.

I wish I could give him a different outfit but I guess sacrifices have to be made.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

I'll be sad if Tressa's story doesn't end with her becoming a millionaire discovering communism and overthrowing the bourgeoisie

:hai:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

does anyone else just rhythmically press the b button while dashing around town in order mess around with the animation cycle?

hell yeah. Dance moves

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm doing H'aanit/Warrior, Cyrus/Cleric, Tressa/Thief, Primrose/Scholar

Its been working okay so far

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Olberic lowkey makes a great cleric. I stack a ton of defense on him anyway so his heals are pretty nice. His unboosted 8sp group heal goes off for ~600 right now for me.

I wish I could give him a different outfit but I guess sacrifices have to be made.

I made Olberic Hunter so he has great weapon coverage and can have an extra attack and a whole extra turn each round. He shreds through shields to break enemies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ethiser posted:

I made Olberic Hunter so he has great weapon coverage and can have an extra attack and a whole extra turn each round. He shreds through shields to break enemies.

Therion has hunter so that's not an option for me but that does sound pretty cool.

I think I might finally be at the point where I'm not worried about having all 8 main jobs represented anymore so that will certainly help my paralysis. Also I did Olberic's chapter 2 last night (it owns) and stole the equipment from my opponents before every duel which didn't do anything in practice but it did amuse me, also the Black Knight's shield is really freaking good and he dropped a second copy of it after the fight. After I finished it I went exploring to finish off getting all the normal shrines and ended up in the town that his chapter 3 is in so I think I'm just going to do that ahead of everyone's chapter 2 (except Alfyn, I did his ch2 earlier) because I'm basically at level for it :lol: Once I finish that I can start swapping my party around to get some levels on everyone else.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
When using magic, do you have to swap to the weapon with the highest elemental attack, or does it just count it automatically?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

When using magic, do you have to swap to the weapon with the highest elemental attack, or does it just count it automatically?

It uses the highest equipped weapon you have for the calculation, you don't have to manually swap

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

someone awful. posted:

It uses the highest equipped weapon you have for the calculation, you don't have to manually swap

Nice, thanks.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh man, I can see myself getting dangerously obsessed with using Alfyn after kind of ignoring him for a bit. Made a potion that gives free BP. :eyepop: I love you you crazy potion man.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you get multiple EXP multipliers with prim's dance, how do they interact? Do they combine in any way or do you only benefit from the largest one?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone awful. posted:

If you get multiple EXP multipliers with prim's dance, how do they interact? Do they combine in any way or do you only benefit from the largest one?

5x and 2x will give you 10x as far as I can tell

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

More proof that Therion is the best

https://clips.twitch.tv/BeautifulPlumpPheasantRitzMitz

(technically minor spoilers for his ch2 but it doesn't really give anything away)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I heard there's a rare xp * 100 dance? If true, imagine getting that twice on a cait.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, had a game-changing day of play yesterday.

Yesterday I had all my Chapter ones finished but had only found one of the optional Ch1 dungeons, and had accidentally found one of the sub-job caves.

But then I realized that if you turn your mini-map on, it has the loving icons for side dungeon and for sub-job-cave RIGHT loving ON IT.

So I basically did a lap knocking out all of the Chapter one mini dungeons, and then since that got me some levels, doing a wider lap and picking up the subclasses. Now I just finished Alfyn's chapter two.

Also I ran across some caits and killed them.

It finally clicked. Game was great, now it's pretty much perfect.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

see:

Your Computer posted:

You know how I was concerned about overleveling? Oops!

I think Primrose got the most with like... 12 levels or something. From one battle. How?

and I got 2x and 5x EXP from Bewildering Grace.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

More proof that Therion is the best

https://clips.twitch.tv/BeautifulPlumpPheasantRitzMitz

(technically minor spoilers for his ch2 but it doesn't really give anything away)

Alfyn has some great lines like this, too. After going full :black101: on a giant snake in his chapter 1 he's just, "Oops, my hand slipped :smuggo:"

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Evil Fluffy posted:

SaGa Frontier is cool but it's literally missing content (including Fuse's storyline) which is unfortunate. It's still fun to play and Red's story in particular is great.

SaGa Frontier 2 is a trashfire and you should never play it. One of the characters' stories ends in a strategic battle where you literally cannot win if the enemy's units don't move certain ways and wait X number of turns before moving at all. The other character's story also has spots that seem like raw contempt for the player.

Are you talking about the early fight with the Gustave fake? That one isn't so bad but Kelvin is poo poo and his crusty rear end dies a lot, even after spending time leveling him in previous stories.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
100x exp is one hell of a drug

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lord Ephraim posted:

Tressa's Hunter outfit is going to be the thing that makes me take her off the bench

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

For real. Now I feel compelled to spam the RNG dance every. single. battle.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
For everyone who is planning on fighting the true final boss here is an important tip that I learned the hard way. Make sure all eight characters are prepared by being leveled and equipped before entering the final dungeon.
The final dungeon consists of eight boss refights which are relatively easy than the final boss which requires all eight characters in two parties. If you game over during any of these fights you have to start over from the beginning of the dungeon though it doesn't have any random encounters. I lost to the first phase of the final boss since I kept only my main party leveled.

Drashin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 17, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

Drashin posted:

For everyone who is planning on fighting the true final boss here is an important tip that I learned the hard way. Make sure all eight characters are prepared by being leveled and equipped before entering the final dungeon.
The final dungeon consists of eight boss refights which are relatively easy than the final boss which requires all eight characters in two parties. If you game over during any of these fights you have to start over from the beginning of the dungeon though it doesn't have any random encounters. I lost to the first phase of the final boss since I kept only my main party leveled.

Fuuuuuuck.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I've been taking the game slow and leveling all eight characters up, and it's been fun. This is the most I've enjoyed a JRPG in God knows how long. I'm about to get subclasses so one question: do I get to keep my original class's weaponry and skill choices? Or do I lose all that and only get the weapons and skills available to the new class?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

InnercityGriot posted:

I've been taking the game slow and leveling all eight characters up, and it's been fun. This is the most I've enjoyed a JRPG in God knows how long. I'm about to get subclasses so one question: do I get to keep my original class's weaponry and skill choices? Or do I lose all that and only get the weapons and skills available to the new class?

You get both!

So if you have access to Swords and Daggers, then the subclass has access to Axes and Bows, you now have Swords, Daggers, Axes, and Bows!

You also get to use both classes skills in battle!

Also (and this is important), while you will lose weapon and skill access to any class you switch out of, you KEEP access to any passives that you unlocked.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

InnercityGriot posted:

You get to use both

In addition, once you've unlocked the passive equippable skills from any job by spending points in it, you can use them no matter what your job is actually set to. Like, you could slot in a Dancer skill on Olberic while his equipped job is Hunter

The mixing and matching is good, and powerful

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone awful. posted:

You get to use both

In addition, once you've unlocked the passive equippable skills from any job by spending points in it, you can use them no matter what your job is actually set to. Like, you could slot in a Dancer skill on Olberic while his equipped job is Hunter

The mixing and matching is good, and powerful

Dancer is a good example since you unlock a passive SP regen for I think 130 JP? It's real good!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like not letting you swap out your main character is a slight mistake. It seems like the main thing that encourages you to stick with a single party of four until you finish your main's story instead of using all eight, because otherwise you're likely to get your main character significantly overleveled compared to the rest of the party. On the one hand I like that there's a character you're encouraged to identify as, like whoever you pick at the start is "you," but it does make a few things in the game a little bit more clunky.

Either that or just add an accessory that disables EXP gain for a character if they have it equipped so that you can prevent massively overleveling, I dunno.

I certainly don't mind always having Alfyn in my party--if for no reason other than Concoct is useful no matter what your party makeup is--I just don't want him to become too much higher level than my other characters, so I'm probably going to do four characters' stories first and then switch to the other four, which is also not really how I want to play, but eh :shrug:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 17, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would definitely love it if I could toggle exp/jp like I could in Bravely. Heck, it's even more useful in this game because of all the characters.

My main team is upwards of level 40 now and I'm still only on my third Chapter 2.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm guessing the game doesn't have a New Game+?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

gmq posted:

I'm guessing the game doesn't have a New Game+?

Nope

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Used Therion's divine skill for the first time yesterday and it hit for 9999 damage. :getin:

Do attack buffs boost merchant summon damage? I'm thinking of going after some of the extra jobs and I'm woefully underleveled so I would need every last advantage I could get for someone like Merchant Olberic to throw money at problems until they die.

I also managed to encounter (but sadly not kill, despite getting a surprise attack) one of those fat cait enemies. Do the Cait enemies only appear in specific areas? Because it seems like they do which is unfortunate.

Harrow posted:

Alfyn is bonkers, too. I’m pretty sure he has a concoct mixture that restores BP to the party which is hilariously good.

Pomegranates restore BP and you can get essence of pomegranate (forget if/where you buy it) and using that with the large very potent dust Is I'm guessing a 2-3 BP boost for everyone. I haven't used him much in the last ~10 hours but I suspect once money has no more use outside of consumables that he's going to be ridiculous with his (fairly expensive) high-end mixes.

Currently running around with Therion/H'aanit/Cyrus/Ophilia. I really need to drop Cyrus because he's almost level 40 while other not-Therion characters are low 30s or high 20s. But Cyrus is just.so.drat.powerful. I'd sub in Primrose and let her nuke stuff but she's also pretty well leveled at this point too because I explored a bunch of level 50 areas after her ch2, and her + Cyrus were deleting encounters despite my team only being in the 30s at the start (and 5-6 levels higher by the end of it all).

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo this RPG Site guide has no idea what its talking about : https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/7478-octopath-traveler-job-combinations-how-to-make-the-most-of-your-subclass-choice

I found it while looking for lists of job skills while I'm at work, and hoo boy does it really miss some things. Like whoever wrote it seems to think that you get H'aanit's beast capturing ability if you have the Hunter subclass but I'm pretty sure that's her talent. Also they wrote that Alfyn is "extremely weak" in terms of physical attacks which is just... just not even close to true.

They think Olberic gets concoct if they subclass to apothecary as well, which is sadly not true but if it was he'd be broken beyond belief. They are right that the combo makes him in to a hell of a tank, though.

Harrow posted:

2. Does Hunter offer much as a subjob when it comes to active skills? I wonder if doubling up on Warrior (like Alfyn/Warrior or Tressa/Warrior) or even Merchant (Alfyn/Merchant maybe?) might be worth it.

Arrowstorm, if you have a lot of accuracy, is probably capable of putting out crazy damage but it'd still have a lot of randomness to it (and would shred the shields of anything weak to bows).

Fhistleb posted:

Are you talking about the early fight with the Gustave fake? That one isn't so bad but Kelvin is poo poo and his crusty rear end dies a lot, even after spending time leveling him in previous stories.

I'm talking about the South Moundtop strategy 'battle' at the end of his story.

Harrow posted:

Either that or just add an accessory that disables EXP gain for a character if they have it equipped so that you can prevent massively overleveling, I dunno.

Or better yet:
"This accessory reduces the wearer's XP gain to 0 but boosts party member xp gain by 25%."

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A Spider Covets posted:

I had a cute random encounter last night with an NPC without a quest marker. I don't remember where it was, but I encountered a random guy who said something to the effect of, "Better be careful up ahead, accidents happen." I had Olberic with me, so I challenged him and he lost, at which point he explained he couldn't find any work and had turned to crime. A cleric walked up after and gave him a job as a janitor at her church nearby, and now he shows up at that church and talks about his job :3:

The cleric in town will give you that quest. It's good to know that you can complete quests without talking to the quest giver though, maybe beating up every npc at least once is the way to go

Does the way you resolve a quest ever make any difference? There's one where you find a corpse and you can bury him with an unreadable diary or you can find his wife and have her ID the body. Finding the wife seems like the "correct" solution but it looks like the reward is the same

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Drashin posted:

Gottdam, I suppose it is a spoiler but I feel like it should be mando knowledge if you're planning on the full clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Used Therion's divine skill for the first time yesterday and it hit for 9999 damage. :getin:

Now pay the skill slot tax and get the Warrior skill that lets you break the damage cap :getin: