Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GUI posted:

I remember people on this very forum near the end of last gen around 2012 talking about how next gen consoles weren't necessary because Red Dead Redemption was the pinnacle of video game graphics and they wouldn't look any better nor was better hardware needed for anything.

Also some PSX magazine back in the day where in their letters section someone asked if games would ever look as good as the RE2 CGI cutscenes and the guy replied that it would never happen.

Yeah, this is actually a great example because while the cgi in re2 may not look incredible, the entire survival horror genre only exists because game budgets and graphical costs were much lower so Capcom was able to take a risk on making a game in an entirely untested style of gameplay and game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I genuinely miss fixed camera angle tank controls.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

SOTN did not sell poorly, despite Sony of America trying to mothball production and pretend it didn't exist on launch. People still bought it en masse because it received pretty much universal praise and it was reprinted under the Greatest Hits banner.

Sorry yeah I misremembered that fact. SCEA didn't promote it because they thought it wouldn't stand a chance in the new polygonal age, but it still sold well.

Though I remember reading that it actually didn't hit the normal sale threshold to qualify as a Greatest Hits title but they did it anyway. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, I think people are nostalgic for not just the creativity that era brought, but the genres of games which were big then and then kind of died out. The golden age of platformers was the 8- and 16-bit consoles, and the golden age of survival horror or stealth or whatever is ps1/ps2. A ton of people played stuff like Resident Evil as kids and and it shouldn't be surprising they have nostalgia for it and for how those games looked back then. The weird shuddery movement makes monsters seem creepy and unpleasant in a way that shiny Premade Unity Zombie Asset can't manage, and in the same way that NES MARIO CLONE makes people from the 80s remember being a kid, the ps1 look has the same effect for kids from the 90s.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The PSX was a graphical showcase that moved consoles based on visuals just like every other gaming system on earth, it's just that those visuals have since aged very poorly.

the mega man legends trilogy still looks pretty good imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I won't deny that a lot of PSX games that look really cool and have unique aesthetics are also sluggishly unplayable though. There was a definite transitory period of people trying to figure out three dimensional controls and the DualShock button configuration. Very Interesting era of gaming though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Personally if I had to pick between playing RE1 or REmake...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Remember in Kings Field 2 where you walk down the pier into the darkness and suddenly out of the fog you see there's a tower with a giant octopus and that was cool

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Though I remember reading that it actually didn't hit the normal sale threshold to qualify as a Greatest Hits title but they did it anyway. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

I've heard that as well and have been frantically looking for proof of it. It and FFT, iirc.

But I feel like I also read that in a magazine in the loving 90s/early 00s so good loving luck substantiating it now.

It goes in the same knowledge pile as the time square briefly and accidentally made the dialog of the PS1 FFV port nothing but company emails at one point, a story I've never been able to find again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel bad when I play God of War or w/e and the graphics do nothing for me even though they're incredible and probably took an insane amount of work

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Remember in Kings Field 2 where you walk down the pier into the darkness and suddenly out of the fog you see there's a tower with a giant octopus and that was cool

No, because the giant squid was in the opposite direction of the tower and the game starts with the tower behind you and the squid against the cliffs in front of you.

I do remember getting into a minecart and then dying because I got hit by something which caused me to fall out me to fall out and as I was falling to my death the last thing I saw was just this fuckin rear end in a top hat archer speeding by in a separate minecart on a parallel track.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel bad when I play God of War or w/e and the graphics do nothing for me even though they're incredible and probably took an insane amount of work

It's because the game is boring...don't feel bad. One million people make terrible movies every day

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that game is awesome though the sequels disappointed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Great visuals on a console are all right but ultimately pointless since you can't pay more $$$ to make them look :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: amazeballs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

better shell out for a pro then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Here are some other pictures of PS1 games

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 17, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is that bottom one PE2?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bad example because those still own

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Is that bottom one PE2?

Hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recognized the background but not the enemy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Here are some other pictures of PS1 games

looks like poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I recognized the background but not the enemy

They're from the desert area.

I think they're in a few of the CGIs too so you probably just forgot about them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I dunno, you guys are posting these screenshots as if the beauty contained within is self-evident, but it doesn’t work for me, not one bit!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah I dunno, you guys are posting these screenshots as if the beauty contained within is self-evident, but it doesn’t work for me, not one bit!

What'd you think of the latest assassin's Creed?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Presumably that’s some kind of gotcha but I haven’t played it. I bet it’s beautiful though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

what i don't get is why people accept 8bit nostalgia but not early 3d nostalgia. like obviously shovel knight would have been way better if it looked just as pretty as owlboy, right? that's just inherently true, 100%

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing with better graphics is that there is more pressure to actually make something logical. Like in modern games you want a house to look like an actual house that someone might actually live in and locals just generally need to match up to their real life locations. With older games, that just didn't matter. That isn't to say they didn't try but after a while they just went "gently caress it". The original Doom is not a game that exists in modern game design. Doom's levels are nonsense designed to have a level that feels good but in no way really gives much of a sense of location or tries to tell a story with it's level design. It's the bare minimum but does what it does perfectly. One of the reasons Doom 3 turned off so many because it hosed up the ratio of how much effort was put into creating a location that felt real compared to how much effort was just put into making it a game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

The thing with better graphics is that there is more pressure to actually make something logical. Like in modern games you want a house to look like an actual house that someone might actually live in and locals just generally need to match up to their real life locations. With older games, that just didn't matter. That isn't to say they didn't try but after a while they just went "gently caress it". The original Doom is not a game that exists in modern game design. Doom's levels are nonsense designed to have a level that feels good but in no way really gives much of a sense of location or tries to tell a story with it's level design. It's the bare minimum but does what it does perfectly. One of the reasons Doom 3 turned off so many because it hosed up the ratio of how much effort was put into creating a location that felt real compared to how much effort was just put into making it a game.

there are other considerations too. for example, if you want to make tomb raider visually more realistic you have to round off all the edges, which means you have to get rid of precision jumping and movement puzzles because it's no longer possible to tell easily what something's slope is or how Lara will interact with it. this results in a game with less actual complexity because so much has to be automated in order to make up for the visual design no longer helping the player -- either you make jumps basically lock on, or you mark where the player needs to go very easily (or both, in the case of modern tomb raider).

DETECTIVE VISION became popular because game developers no longer know how to make things seem important in the environment so they just use a hacky solution and make everything you can actually interact with yellow. there's no economy which ironically breeds simpler games as a result

not everyone is guilty of this! mario continues to have a variety of ways to move and jump, and levels designed wholly around using those to explore. so i got respect for nintendo in that regard, yeah. the spirit of mario 64 remains alive and that is cool. it's certainly possible to build comprehensible, working level designs in high fidelity, but it is extremely hard.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 17, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn’t have a ps1 growing up but there are deffo some games i would say genuinely still look good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i like old style jrpg sparkles or exclamation above your character's head

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

there are other considerations too. for example, if you want to make tomb raider visually more realistic you have to round off all the edges, which means you have to get rid of precision jumping and movement puzzles because it's no longer possible to tell easily what something's slope is or how Lara will interact with it. this results in a game with less actual complexity because so much has to be automated in order to make up for the visual design no longer helping the player -- either you make jumps basically lock on, or you mark where the player needs to go very easily (or both, in the case of modern tomb raider).

DETECTIVE VISION became popular because game developers no longer know how to make things seem important in the environment so they just use a hacky solution and make everything you can actually interact with yellow. there's no economy which ironically breeds simpler games as a result

not everyone is guilty of this! mario continues to have a variety of ways to move and jump, and levels designed wholly around using those to explore. so i got respect for nintendo in that regard, yeah. the spirit of mario 64 remains alive and that is cool. it's certainly possible to build comprehensible, working level designs in high fidelity, but it is extremely hard.

God of War found a good way to make things stand out that actually has the more overlooked and better ending twist tied to it.

Also, yeah Mario and Nintendo in general have always found an easy middle ground of making the levels look like things when the design of the area didn't matter and making it abstract as hell when they need to do that with a million shaded in between (with New Donk City being an incredible blending of the two).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

what i don't get is why people accept 8bit nostalgia but not early 3d nostalgia. like obviously shovel knight would have been way better if it looked just as pretty as owlboy, right? that's just inherently true, 100%

I think its just that people are less conditioned to view early 3d as a "style". Ya know how shovel knight takes liberties to make it look better than an actual 8bit game, and owlboy looks better than an actual 16bit game? When you do that with early 3d graphics you usually lose that muddy, jagged look that people associate with that era and it doesn't activate the nostalgia part of their brain. Lots of games use low poly count models and low res textures but they don't necessarily read as a throwback, they just look like a worse version of "normal" graphics.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

You can make almost any level of tech look good with art designed to complement it.

This is the objectively correct statement regarding this conversation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/844590/Hypnospace_Outlaw/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don’t think there’s any old atari “everything is one solid color block” game that looks good. maybe not bad but not good

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I need this so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oddium posted:

i don’t think there’s any old atari “everything is one solid color block” game that looks good. maybe not bad but not good

the atari is interesting because you could do some neat graphics on it but they were hacky as gently caress

ie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhHMAcRSwU

• Locked thread