Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tails completely breaks encore mode. I just flew over the first boss and Mighty did all the work trying to match the button input for flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Couple questions regarding Encore Mode:

1. Can you save or do you have to do it all in one shot?
2. Are there any new stages and/or bosses?
3. Are Mighty and Ray playable in the main campaign or just in Encore Mode?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

First impressions are weird. It's been awhile since I played but was Tails always this heavy? It feels like he can't just fly straight up right away, he has to fall a bit before he can climb up. It's really unpleasant

E: New special stages are hard as gently caress out the gate, wew

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 17, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is it out on switch yet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Screaming Idiot posted:

It looks good, but S3&K looks so much better, and it's decades old. I don't want to let aesthetics keep me from considering one of the best Sonic games of all tine though.

And I am a lovely artist.

The new sprite set has twice as many frames and lots of incidental animation and studiopolis looks awesome and you're wrong

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

is it out on switch yet

Yeah all the digital shops updated in the past hour.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSc3ASFoG8

Final episode! It's good!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What an amazing end to the mini-series. I just wish SEGA would consider hiring Tyson and his crew to make more animated Sonic stuff in the future.

Has Metal Sonic ever been able to use the Chaos Emeralds like this? Super Metal Sonic is such a DBZ thing, especially him trying to use the Master Emerald for his final form.

Also Knuckles is just the best. :allears: I love how he's just doing his job protecting the Emerald and then peacing out of there.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

You can practiacally hear "YOO TAKE MUH EMEROOWDS" :allears:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Perhaps I am just a dumb idiot, but what are the controls for the pinball bonus mode? D-pad doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm curious if it's only ABXY that control it. If so, that seems... bad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Minor glitch, I beat the boss at the end of Studiopolis Act 1, then I got bumped back to the area before the boss, controlling Ray (who I hadn't even touched until then) and had to do the boss again. Bizarre.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Encore Mode seems glitchy ontop of being hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVvIf8lz1A4

This difficulty is something else

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Encore Mode seems glitchy ontop of being hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVvIf8lz1A4

This difficulty is something else

Having to wait 2 seconds for a clearing is hard? :confused:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bradzilla posted:

Having to wait 2 seconds for a clearing is hard? :confused:

No, being glitched into a wall and timed out to death is hard :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i fuckin need a gif of that ray double thumbs up victory animation, it's so good

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Every time i replay this game I get tingles down my spine once Flying Battery music kicks in and Encore Mode is no different.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got glitched into a wall within 10 min of playing. I think I’m going to stop and wait for a patch.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No, being glitched into a wall and timed out to death is hard :v:

:gitgud:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe Plus added Robotnik's Deadly Speed Traps

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Been wanting to replay Mania for awhile now and have been patiently waiting for Plus so today is a great day.

Game is still good you guys. :kiddo:

It took me some experimenting to figure out how the gently caress Ray's flying works but once I figured it out and got the hang of it, it's really drat fun to use and it's a lot more controllable than you'd think. Tails has been my favorite since I was a tiny child and now Ray is just as awesome. Guess I'm just a fly guy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ray works kinda similar to Mario’s cape in SMW.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Will say Rays sprite looks... really bizarre?

When he's alone it's fine but now that I'm seeing him next to tails his head is like, twice as big.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
would've rather there's DLC that lets you use sonic (the only fun character in any sonic game) with all of his moves at the same time instead of playable sonichu and red sonic TBQHWYF

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Plus DLC is right :yosbutt:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've made it to Mirage Saloon with four emeralds, that'll do for tonight. The new special stage layouts are kicking my rear end, but there's some cool additions that help switch things up nicely.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I got glitched into a wall within 10 min of playing. I think I’m going to stop and wait for a patch.

Including Robotnik’s Deadly Speed Traps is the closest we’ll get to a Sonic 3 port

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I played a few minutes of Plus this morning, and I'm loving both Mighty and Ray. Mighty's ground pound just has so much weight to it; it's great. And Ray's flying and dorky animations are a lot of fun, too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

amigolupus posted:

Has Metal Sonic ever been able to use the Chaos Emeralds like this? Super Metal Sonic is such a DBZ thing, especially him trying to use the Master Emerald for his final form.

..... Sonic 3?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's Mecha Sonic :goonsay:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I genuinely do not know how you're supposed to get the emerald in the *first* special stage

I get up to mach 3 and it's just gone. Can do some laps with minimal errors and I just never see it again. Like I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that they're horribly overkill now

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

They somehow made Ray even more broken than Cape Mario lmao

also I haven't seen it talked about much since it's a smaller change but all the bonus options for the main game are no longer no-save mode only. I'll finally play Knuckles & Knuckles mode now I guess

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how exactly does Ray's flight work? It seems that if you hold down he'll glide a bit but if you press up he'll nosedive into the ground. Is there a way to gain extra height though (like starting the glide from higher up or something)?

Also, besides Angel Island and the last phase of the Metal Sonic fight are there any other new stages/bosses (or at very least new variations on some of the old ones)?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You press left / right to adjust Ray's flight angle, not up / down

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I genuinely do not know how you're supposed to get the emerald in the *first* special stage

I get up to mach 3 and it's just gone. Can do some laps with minimal errors and I just never see it again. Like I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that they're horribly overkill now

That's the only one I've gotten so far (and I have yet to see what the other special stages throw at you. frankly, I'm a little worried). Strategy is: get to Mach 2 on the first lap, before you hit the mach up orb near the end of the track. From there, it's a matter of playing the track well enough until you catch up with the UFO.

The whole thing took me four attempts. It's surprising on how difficult that the first special stage was, considering it's the first one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My Sonic Mania quick review: I've never played the Sonic 3 bonus stage so many times in such quick succession

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ray looks like Homer

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

ray and mighty are GREAT BOYS

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The IGN review was right. Encore Mode is half baked. The “lives” system is pointlessly limiting, character switching outside of your core two relying on a power up AND being random is just dumb, and the new bonus stage’s physics make me miss Blue Sphere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nodosaur posted:

The IGN review was right. Encore Mode is half baked. The “lives” system is pointlessly limiting, character switching outside of your core two relying on a power up AND being random is just dumb, and the new bonus stage’s physics make me miss Blue Sphere.

I'm fine with the lives system but everything else I agree with

If the monitors just moved you down a line instead of just being completely random I think I'd like that mechanic more. Like
<- S <- T <- K <- M <- R <-

If you have Sonic and Tails and you hit a box you go to Tails and Knuckles. Hit a box and Knuckles and Mighty etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I call BS on any of them being able to even touch Metal Sonic with all seven emeralds.