Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The wsj ranking should be the best (if slightly loose) yardstick for that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bets on how Souma defeats his brother:

1. Some new and elaborate dish
2. Some dish his mom used to make or her favorite or whatever
3. Impossibly perfect version of some sort of super basic dish- like a bowl of white rice
4. Peanut butter squid

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Always Peanut Butter Squid, the true hero of the series.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm gonna vote for 3 since it seems to be a rule now that Soma's dishes have to be uninnovative and boring

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

4. Peanut butter squid
Guys, I think Erina might have blown her load too early. :ohdear:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Evil Soma has already mastered Peanut Butter Squid. How else could he beat Jouichiro?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Guys, I think Erina might have blown her load too early. :ohdear:

I’m honestly thinking the odds aren’t bad she jobs to Asahi somehow later on in this arc because why wouldn’t it happen to anyone not named Souma

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can sympathize with Soma, having shared the same experience of finding out about a random sibling around the age of 16/17, even if mine was like 20 years older than me and wasn't an evil chef.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I can sympathize with Soma, having shared the same experience of finding out about a random sibling around the age of 16/17, even if mine was like 20 years older than me and wasn't an evil chef.

you sure?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter!

https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/272/5225/1

Gosh who could this guy be????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also the One Piece x Souma collab was a read.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
OH GEE LOOK AT THIS CHARMING AND CLEARLY NON-EVIL FELLOW, HE SURE HAS A FACE YOU CAN TRUST

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this new fellow has a very unique design that singles him out from the pack, bearing no resemblance to any other characters whatsoever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

New chapter!

https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/272/5225/1

Gosh who could this guy be????

And with that we launch into whatever the hell passes for a romance plotline in this manga with all the subtlety of a brick about it

Erina is either not great at vetting or never met this guy in person. Maybe Hisako’s a secret midnight chef and let him in!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

And with that we launch into whatever the hell passes for a romance plotline in this manga with all the subtlety of a brick about it

Erina is either not great at vetting or never met this guy in person. Maybe Hisako’s a secret midnight chef and let him in!

Or, as they said in the chapter, he has a lot of connections to let him get through undetected. He also mentioned his master, who's presumably Jouichiro, as opposed to his father so it's likely that Jouichiro misspoke or Suzuki is adopted. Maybe a step-sibling

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

Or, as they said in the chapter, he has a lot of connections to let him get through undetected. He also mentioned his master, who's presumably Jouichiro, as opposed to his father so it's likely that Jouichiro misspoke or Suzuki is adopted. Maybe a step-sibling

Could be a pupil he was so close to he considered him a son.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yeah I'm gonna drop this now.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could be a pupil he was so close to he considered him a son.

"Well there's certainly no way to misinterpret that!"

[Narrator] There was.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Yeah I'm gonna drop this now.

Why there was nothing bad in this chapter.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

OH GEE LOOK AT THIS CHARMING AND CLEARLY NON-EVIL FELLOW, HE SURE HAS A FACE YOU CAN TRUST

i'm really hoping he isn't evil and is just kinda a dick.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well of course he's a criminal. He's the Persona 5 protagonist.

He's gonna steal Erina's heart...!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm glad the thing I figured would happen which is Erina jobbing to Saiba didn't happen

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
With all these snacks, I'm calling it now: Soma is going to lose to peanutbutter squid as a sign of his brother's power

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archenteron posted:

With all these snacks, I'm calling it now: Soma is going to lose to peanutbutter squid as a sign of his brother's power

His secret is adding almonds to add a crunchy texture that accentuates the chewiness of the squid.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Shokugeki X One Piece crossover is up: https://readms.net/r/one_shot/Shokugeki%20no%20Sanji/5230/1

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man he's really good at drawing Sanji.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was fun! :dance:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
That was a very good crossover.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
okay so if they won't boot soma and make megumi the protagonist, maybe they can cancel the series and relaunch with a sanji ongoing?

And bring in Megumi. Say she's Zeff's great granddaughter or something.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Is it really a crossover if no one from Soma was even in it

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Is it really a crossover if no one from Soma was even in it

:confused: it had all of soma's best characters in it though?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

where the red fern gropes posted:

:confused: it had all of soma's best characters in it though?

can you call clothing explosions characters?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
We also had some pretty rocking boobies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I'd like? Whatever happens to Shokugeki no Soma, I want Tosh Saeki to pair up with a writer so that he can make the art really loving pop. I hope Soma just gets away from the funk caused by the whole Azami with this new arc, but if poo poo tanks, gently caress it: Like he might not have a super unique style or anything but, like Yusuke Murata or Boichi, his style is really drat good and malleable and could fit a number of genres no problem.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

You know what I'd like? Whatever happens to Shokugeki no Soma, I want Tosh Saeki to pair up with a writer so that he can make the art really loving pop. I hope Soma just gets away from the funk caused by the whole Azami with this new arc, but if poo poo tanks, gently caress it: Like he might not have a super unique style or anything but, like Yusuke Murata or Boichi, his style is really drat good and malleable and could fit a number of genres no problem.

That’s a real broadside at Tsukuda but hell, I’ll allow it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that I shoulda edited that post to say with another, more competent writer. My bad. :sweatdrop:

Or, hell, whoever had the idea of Azami, whether it was Tsukuda or the editor, needs to get a good smack upside the head. Like, the few flashes of brilliance here and there (mostly though? It was the fan/manservice :heysexy:) were the only things that kept me going.

At times, though? I honestly felt like who I was previous to early 2012 when I was reading a million other things just "for the commitment" (sunk-cost fallacy in full force) before the Mahouka novels basically destroyed that. I've explained this in other threads at this sub-forum, but that's why I'm forever grateful to that series: It was so loving bad that it made me go "Yeah, no. This is bullshit", and I basically stopped the dumb sunk-cost cycle of checking things I had lost interest in for the most part, except for this manga... and Nisekoi... but only once a month/season.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Next Chapter Spoilers*

A love Triangle!? Oh Noooooooooooooo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

*Next Chapter Spoilers*

A love Triangle!? Oh Noooooooooooooo

If nothing else, only Souma could say what he said and mean it 100% for cooking

Is it even a triangle, though? Souma has had 270 chapters to put an onion ring on it, maybe it's only fair he step back and make way for the new guy

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/273/5244/1?mobile=1

Chapter’s up early for once