Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i don’t think there’s any old atari “everything is one solid color block” game that looks good. maybe not bad but not good

The one where you make a big breasted woman eat cum dripping out of a guy who's running back and forth across a rooftop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

are we still talking about our dreams ??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

i don’t think there’s any old atari “everything is one solid color block” game that looks good. maybe not bad but not good

The statement is contingent on a game actually having an art style.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

*slams through wall* Tomba is such a good loving game!!!! Hell yeah!!!

Same but mischief makers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cheetah7071 posted:

Same but mischief makers

:emptyquote:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also I would argue pong has an iconic look to it

Sadly that's literally all the 2600 was designed to display so making something else was an exercise in sadness afaik

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Atari games could look very good if you take into account the limitations. pitfalls one and especially Pitfall 2 look crude but you're never lacking anything and the visuals have some genuine charm.

They also sometimes managed stuff like this on the 2600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAX2SAIR67A

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhHMAcRSwU

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 17, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am having a lot of fun trying to corroborate that SotN Greatest Hits thing.

So far I've found ancient posts from Victor Ireland, some guy getting really defensive about pirating stuff, and this trailer where you

https://youtu.be/e0Rx1EYTCgs?t=54s

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Despite loving Octopath Traveler, I've been spending most of my gaming time playing Disgaea 5. I had a save about 30 hours in that I hadn't touched in years, and when I saw that there was a speedrun of it for GDQ I started feeling the itch. This is the first* Disgaea game where I've gotten a handle on how to power level, so I finally have a character above lvl 100. There's something very addictive about watching my units go up by dozens of levels per fight, and now I can faceroll the rest of the normal game before I have to worry about further stat boosting strategies.

*I've played all of NIS' SRPG games but the only one I beat was Phantom Brave. I dropped off of every other title because I couldn't figure out how to keep pace with the regular difficulty without tons of grinding and I didn't know any of the pro-tricks. Phantom Brave has a system that I was able to exploit pretty easily, and it looks like D5 has one too.

I own D5 for the PS4 and I'm seriously considering double dipping for the Switch version because of how engaged I feel I am with its systems. For now, I'm glad I haven't because I need to spend the portable Switch time playing Octopath. I finished all the Chapter 1s and grabbed all the basic sub-classes, then got sidetracked with some of the side quests. I can say a lot of good things about the game but I think I'll just harp on how good the music is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo1kGw3lEpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JtQeUvzttI

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Only took pic of demo mode, but I genuinely didn't know this one existed. Cute but pricey.

https://twitter.com/Rafclan/status/1019290967076147207?s=19

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oddium posted:

Karateka

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

Only took pic of demo mode, but I genuinely didn't know this one existed. Cute but pricey.

I've actually played it with a friend, its a real quarter muncher.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah I dunno, you guys are posting these screenshots as if the beauty contained within is self-evident, but it doesn’t work for me, not one bit!

If LSD for PS1 doesn’t make you weep from its intense beauty you are hollow inside. :colbert:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I don't know if I have taken too many drugs or not enough to understand this.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Uhh.. huh.. I mean, what?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zil posted:

I don't know if I have taken too many drugs or not enough to understand this.

It's a geocities simulator

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

In Training posted:

The one where you make a big breasted woman eat cum dripping out of a guy who's running back and forth across a rooftop

what game is this. my, er, friend wants to know . for science :D

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's just another ripoff of digital monster ver s for the saturn

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

what game is this. my, er, friend wants to know . for science :D

Beat Em and Eat Em I believe

There was also another one where you had to catch milk dripping from witch's teet

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 17, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

glam rock hamhock posted:

Beat Em and Eat Em I believe

They're was also another one where your had to catch Milly dripping from witch's teet

All the dirty games had gender swap versions, which was really funny. I think the lady version of Beat ‘em and Eat Em was called Midnight Magic or something lame.

Custer’s Revenge has one too where the lady goes after a tied up General Custer and the arrows were changed to cannonballs. It has literally the best name ever: Westward Ho!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

badass.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no how will i recognize you without your pants avatar bug deal

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the smell, of course

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Motto posted:

truth told i don't really care for this cabinet, it's really loud inside and the rumble feedback on the vacuum is way too high

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Please don't criticise professor e gadd's invention

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

please source these i don't recognize them all but they all look neat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Emulator screenshots are cheating, you have to show them at 480i

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I skipped dino crisis 1 after a while because I wasn't feeling it and I'm glad I did because Dino Crisis 2 is flipping awesome.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

haveblue posted:

i can see the seams on the textures in threads of fate and it makes me feel better about myself

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

I'm reminded of people jumping through ridiculous hoops to mod their snes to output to better monitors

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like PS1 Crash better than the HD remaster Crash

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the truly buckwild snes mod of "use scart cables"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I like PS1 Crash better than the HD remaster Crash

Spyro also looked pretty good on the ps1, I remember that. Good animation, which helps a lot at that resolution

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

That's actually higher than PS1 resolution

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

That's actually higher than PS1 resolution

eh, not always. the menus in Chrono Cross are at a higher resolution (I'm assuming 480i), for example.

Also the character models in the status menu have more details (and shadows!) then their battle/world map models.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also you're not getting the true ps1 screen experience unless you're playing on the psone attached flip-top screen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

The CRT also hid a lot of flaws and made things that would look like garbage more dreamy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah things like flowing water or auras tend to look better on crt, where the slight blur effect was used intentionally

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

eh, not always. the menus in Chrono Cross are at a higher resolution (I'm assuming 480i), for example.

Also the character models in the status menu have more details (and shadows!) then their battle/world map models.

480i is the highest it goes but weren't things rendered at 256 × 224 90% of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

480i is the highest it goes but weren't things rendered at 256 × 224 90% of the time?

Probably, just mentioning because it wasn't as clear cut as older systems by that point.

As an aside, you can play Valkyrie Profile 2 at 1080i on a PS2.

• Locked thread