Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How steep is the XP scaling anyway? Like if you switch around your party and do all eight stories as you go, how far overleveled is your main character likely to get? Does XP required scale pretty steeply so eventually you'll be like 10 levels higher but not crazy, or is it relatively shallow and your main character's level will go nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Flavahbeast posted:

The cleric in town will give you that quest. It's good to know that you can complete quests without talking to the quest giver though, maybe beating up every npc at least once is the way to go

Does the way you resolve a quest ever make any difference? There's one where you find a corpse and you can bury him with an unreadable diary or you can find his wife and have her ID the body. Finding the wife seems like the "correct" solution but it looks like the reward is the same

Its mostly just flavor. Like how in Bolderfall you can steal all the weapons from the would-be revolutionaries and turn them in to the guard or get the plans for a new project from a noble and turn it into the revolutionaries to sabotage it.

Another one I found is one where this lady doesn't want to marry a guy who keeps asking her because he seems weak. So you can either recruit his mom to drag him back home or pick a fight with him and lose so the lady sees he's actually strong and cool and marries him.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

100x exp is one hell of a drug

Lol holy poo poo how is that even possible. Brb putting prim in my group right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

IcePhoenix posted:

Dancer is a good example since you unlock a passive SP regen for I think 130 JP? It's real good!

And a counterattack for Olberic which would be pretty good

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

someone awful. posted:

Now pay the skill slot tax and get the Warrior skill that lets you break the damage cap :getin:

That's the next thing I'm going to unlock. I need about 3k more jp to do so, though. Olberic's working on his divine skill too and I'll be curious to see how much harder it hits than the merchant's 30k cost summon (i'm assuming it hits much harder).

Also found a hasty helm recently. It's weaker than the oasis hat Therion's using but it gives something like +80 speed so I'm thinking I might use it anyways.

Frankston posted:

Lol holy poo poo how is that even possible. Brb putting prim in my group right now.

The 100x exp dance effect is probably a 0.1% chance of triggering. Even 2x or 5x exp are real uncommon for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 100x exp dance effect is probably a 0.1% chance of triggering. Even 2x or 5x exp are real uncommon for me.

Yeah and farming for it can be dangerous in boss fights since a really common dance result is 'Lost all your items' which makes you lose access to the item/concoct commands for the rest of the battle.

It absolutely fucks up any panic buttons you have.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Holy lmao, losing your items doesn't let you concoct either? That's a real harsh blow to specifically Alfyn for no good reason, but at least it's consistent :allears:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm a child and I think the peak of humor is the fact there are items named Slippery Nut and Fortifying Nut in the game.

Good thing I also have decision paralysis, and will thus hang on to these until the end of the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

How do you stock up on concoct ingredients?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

Yeah and farming for it can be dangerous in boss fights since a really common dance result is 'Lost all your items' which makes you lose access to the item/concoct commands for the rest of the battle.

It absolutely fucks up any panic buttons you have.

The boss of Alfyn's chapter 2 probably took me about 5 times longer than it should have because I got the mists that silence your party for 3-4 turns in each of my first three sets (I only use the dance at max boost)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, did you guys know that the first letter of each character's name spells out Octopath?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

404notfound posted:

How do you stock up on concoct ingredients?

You can buy them from most provisioners I think? If nothing else you can buy/steal from NPCs with Tressa/Therion's path actions.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

fadam posted:

Dang, did you guys know that the first letter of each character's name spells out Octopath?

How about that?

There aren't enough FF7 character names beginning with vowels to do a similar trick with their names. 🙁

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

There aren't enough FF7 character names beginning with vowels to do a similar trick with their names. 🙁

Yeah, cbtaryccv traveler doesn't have the same ring to it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

How about that?

Cavy CRT BC Traveler isn't that much worse than "Octopath" tbh

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

IcePhoenix posted:

Dancer is a good example since you unlock a passive SP regen for I think 130 JP? It's real good!

1630, alas. But still a very strong early target for a passive skill, especially on Scholars.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RoboCicero posted:

I'm a child and I think the peak of humor is the fact there are items named Slippery Nut and Fortifying Nut in the game.

Good thing I also have decision paralysis, and will thus hang on to these until the end of the game.

Wait until you see the BOFA squirrels

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Cyrus is deleting bosses and it feels mildly unfair

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finished up Alfyn's Chapter 1, and am heading back to Sunshade just to complete the loop for the heck of it.

Regarding the subjob shrines (not the bonus job ones, the normal job ones), where are they relative to the characters who have the corresponding main job? For example, is the Dancer shrine close to Primrose's starting area, or is it on the opposite side of the initial loop?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Finished up Alfyn's Chapter 1, and am heading back to Sunshade just to complete the loop for the heck of it.

Regarding the subjob shrines (not the bonus job ones, the normal job ones), where are they relative to the characters who have the corresponding main job? For example, is the Dancer shrine close to Primrose's starting area, or is it on the opposite side of the initial loop?

They're more or less right outside the chapter 1 zones and you should totally go pick them up! Look for a weird symbol on your radar, like three pillars.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Each subjob shrine is in the same area as the character (so Dancer is in the desert, Apothacary in the riverlands, etc) if you work your way further in that particular region. If you have any doubts you can look at the radar and you should see an icon that looks like 3 pillars that indicates the shrine in the area. It's absolutely worth making a lap around the world and grabbing all of the initial shrines because being able to subjob everyone really gives you a ton of options and busts the game open a good deal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just did Alfyn's chapter 2 and he really is on the quest to be the goodest boy isn't he. That was adorable and I love my cinnamon roll teammate :kimchi:

Even grown-ups need a good cry from time to time :unsmith:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's much simpler than you think it is, the Rune attacks go off of the Elemental Attack stat, and Cyrus has one of the highest Elemental Attacks there is. Imbuing himself with any of the Runes work really well and he can hit the damage cap with a good elemental attack-boosting weapon. As such, with no physical attack skills in his skillset, Runelord Cyrus only really concerns himself with boosting his Elemental Attack as high as he possibly can, making him one of the best single-target DPS Runelords. Another favorite is to have the Runelord on someone else and have Cyrus in the Sorcerer class. The Sorcerer class has a physical weapon skill that goes off of your equipped Staff called Elemental Bane that decreases the elemental defense of any enemies hit by it, so using Transfer Rune to pass on a Rune of your choice to Cyrus and then using that skill easily hits the damage cap and then some, especially if you broke the enemy beforehand.

That would probably be a powerful combo. The problem is you're devoting two characters across two turns to do it. You can easily get the same results on one character and one turn, thus letting all four of your people devote themselves to full bore crazy damage. The only benefit from a setup like this is you could roll over the effects and exploit them in a third turn, but that's depending upon the fact that you have the ability to do it and aren't busy healing/recovering and it's also dependent upon bringing a third character or dumping items to give BP, which means you're running out of items or adding a third character to the mix who isn't doing their own massive damage ability.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The main limiting factor to my party's setup is how only a couple travelers manage to look less bland than my guided npc when subbed as merchant. H'aanit, Therion, Ophilia for team "Looks Cool as Every Job".

I am surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game. I love that the only things to hold you back are your own wit and whimsy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Each subjob shrine is in the same area as the character (so Dancer is in the desert, Apothacary in the riverlands, etc) if you work your way further in that particular region.

Thank you, this is the information I was looking for; I knew from earlier posts in the thread what the icon was going to look like when I eventually set out for them (because I'm definitely planning on unlocking them all before I start working on people's Chapter 2s).

Now comes to decision paralysis of what team to run and what subjobs to start them off in.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kinda wonder what the "intended" way of playing is because I just did my fourth Chapter 2 and the last couple of them have been extremely easy to the point where I don't even need to break enemies to kill them. The last boss I fought did like 30 damage per attack to my 2k HP heroes.

I could go on to do chapter 3s for a couple of characters, but then the remaining chapter 2s would be even easier. There's just no way to get around it is there?

It's a shame because the combat is genuinely fun and challenging when I'm not outleveling it by 20 levels :(

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

This game, like it's ancient predecessors, is meant to be shattered into a million pieces in the most glorious way possible. Embrace the power friend.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Your Computer posted:

I kinda wonder what the "intended" way of playing is because I just did my fourth Chapter 2 and the last couple of them have been extremely easy to the point where I don't even need to break enemies to kill them. The last boss I fought did like 30 damage per attack to my 2k HP heroes.

I could go on to do chapter 3s for a couple of characters, but then the remaining chapter 2s would be even easier. There's just no way to get around it is there?

It's a shame because the combat is genuinely fun and challenging when I'm not outleveling it by 20 levels :(

gonna go out on a limb and say poop socking ruins games like these. I'm on my 4th Chap 2 and I'm right at the level requirement.

or just be overleveled like literally every other jrpg we played since the 90's. not exactly sure whats surprising about either of these.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm assuming Theron's SP thief drops off quick, because it's been my main damage dealer since it's a natural two hit and basically is free.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Your Computer posted:

I almost feel like each Chapter is supposed to be done with your characters roughly 5 - 10 levels lower than the suggestion. Unless you really get caught off guard, the break system allows you to handle most combat pretty easily. Then you factor in overgrinding and using the path actions to steal/purchase endgame items before Chapter 2 and it is pretty easy to abuse.

I'll be curious to see how things play out down the line where people start doing one or two character playthroughs.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gonna go out on a limb and say poop socking ruins games like these. I'm on my 4th Chap 2 and I'm right at the level requirement.

or just be overleveled like literally every other jrpg we played since the 90's. not exactly sure whats surprising about either of these.

Exactly, the game is almost more designed to be played through 8 different times by people riding the train to work each day, not smashed in a 50 hour weekend.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It would be interesting to see how viable it is to do single story playthroughs where you take one character and only do their story without recruiting anyone. Monopath Traveler.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I already plan to attempt a solo run after I finish this current one, whenever that is. I imagine it's going to be crazy difficult breaking some of the more challenging foes, and I imagine a lot of combat will come down to which subclass you bring with you to get as much breakage as possible.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Who said anything about poopsocking? I've been going through the content as I come across it, doing dungeons and having a great time. Even before I found the Cait duo I was a good 10+ levels above the recommended level for the second chapters.

e: like I legitimately have no idea how you'd be at the fourth chapter 2 at level 20-ish. I'm 40-ish and haven't gone out of my way to get overpowered in any way (and I never did any savescum stealing either)

deftest
May 7, 2011

someone awful. posted:

It uses the highest equipped weapon you have for the calculation, you don't have to manually swap

This makes those arcane-alike weapons make a lot more sense. On my phys attackers I feel like I want to have one weapon slot devoted to those oddball axes/lances that have more +elemental-- use those only for breaking shields, and have them contribute to their few casting attacks.

Has anybody figured whether equipped weapons matter for phys attack specials? Like if I equip Olberic with his lance, but use level slash sword attack, I see that the damage is sword, but what about the other stats like crit/speed/etc.?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Your Computer posted:

Who said anything about poopsocking? I've been going through the content as I come across it, doing dungeons and having a great time. Even before I found the Cait duo I was a good 10+ levels above the recommended level for the second chapters.

so have i and i'm sitting right at lvl rq for these so i dunno what to tell you. :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

so have i and i'm sitting right at lvl rq for these so i dunno what to tell you. :shrug:

Have you been running away from all the random encounters maybe?

I've even been using the ability that reduces the number of random battles because Tressa was close to 30 before I even finished my first chapter 2 (hers)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Equip some weaker gear.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Your Computer posted:

I've even been using the ability that reduces the number of random battles because Tressa was close to 30 before I even finished my first chapter 2 (hers)

no on both. i actually came out of all chap 1 story at like level 16ish and with the first chap being 21 i had to farm for a few hours to even get to 20 on 4 people let alone 8.

e: putting on crappy gear is pretty good advice

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

Are you that far above the level on all your characters or just the main party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Does anyone know what stat and/or weapon Bifelgan's Bounty scales off of? or does it scale with anything? the description just calls it a "non-elemental attack"