Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

After idly googling to see if anyone had ever named a band “Illegal Ghost Bikes,” I found that those spray painted bikes people leave chained up where somebody died are called ghost bikes. And they’re not necessarily legal, depending on where they’re set up.

So illegal ghost bikes are actually a thing that exists now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Who What Now posted:

Hey does anyone have the link of Achewood with the mouse over text underneath it? I wanna reread the archives again on mobile.
Sure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Who What Now posted:

Hey does anyone have the link of Achewood with the mouse over text underneath it? I wanna reread the archives again on mobile.

I prefer this site for mobile achewood reading, because the tiny arrows on that one are hard to click. There used to be an even better mobile interface at totesrad.com but it seems to have gone down.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Pakled posted:

I prefer this site for mobile achewood reading, because the tiny arrows on that one are hard to click. There used to be an even better mobile interface at totesrad.com but it seems to have gone down.

I made them a little bigger, but subtly probably does what you want a lot better anyway!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
“Roast Beef this is Pat. I am very angry with you right now. This is because you stole my spaceship.”

Roast Beef goes to the moon is a good arc. I just realized how weird it is that Pat built a rocket ship. Different rules back then...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tarranon posted:

“Roast Beef this is Pat. I am very angry with you right now. This is because you stole my spaceship.”

Roast Beef goes to the moon is a good arc. I just realized how weird it is that Pat built a rocket ship. Different rules back then...

I like how he decorated the ship with a sign that just says "Fuckin'" in real classy font and has two people gettin' it on. But also the ship only has raisins in the snack machine and AOL still manages to find the ship and drop off a free hours disc.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tarranon posted:

Remember when Ray bought Airwolf and was communicating with the headset and then when somebody else examined it it was just spray-painted styrofoam discs rather than actual headphones? The weird poo poo like that never really went away, it just got toned down a bit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dregan posted:

I made them a little bigger, but subtly probably does what you want a lot better anyway!

Ah, do you run that site? For what it's worth, I'd consider it the best extant mobile achewood viewer if you made it so tapping the comic takes you to the next comic instead of to the official site.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Again, nothing is more California than a guy who can build a rocketship, and eats an extremely weird vegan diet, and is not-so-secretly a fascist

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Halloween Jack posted:

Again, nothing is more California than a guy who can build a rocketship, and eats an extremely weird vegan diet, and is not-so-secretly a fascist

But barbers SHOULDN'T make much money

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My OLD MAN was a barber, you son of a bitch!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't say what the CEO does. I'm under a NDA.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Zereth posted:

Remember when Ray bought Airwolf and was communicating with the headset and then when somebody else examined it it was just spray-painted styrofoam discs rather than actual headphones? The weird poo poo like that never really went away, it just got toned down a bit.

Yea I remember...and I’m willing to argue about how I don’t see they’re that analogous for 30 pages. Give you one piece of advice? Buckle up...b!tch.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Pakled posted:

Ah, do you run that site? For what it's worth, I'd consider it the best extant mobile achewood viewer if you made it so tapping the comic takes you to the next comic instead of to the official site.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pakled posted:

This is the thing that baffles me most about the official site. Clicking on the comic brings you to...... the same comic. What? Why even put in the effort to do that?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

ColdPie posted:

This is the thing that baffles me most about the official site. Clicking on the comic brings you to...... the same comic. What? Why even put in the effort to do that?

It used to take you to the assetbar thing for the strip, I guess then that went away the link just reroutes to the strip.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've only seen snippets of Achewood here and there but that mobile viewer is great for going through the whole thing for the first time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
There's a mobile viewer? Dang I literally am about to complete my reread without alt text. It's like reading the strip but Ray isn't there

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Next time I go through the archives I'm going to need to remember one of these things, I can never quite tell when the alt text starts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Awesome, that's a great change. Thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a way to jump to a specific comic in that reader, or do I have to put the date of a strip into the URL bar?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a way to jump to a specific comic in that reader, or do I have to put the date of a strip into the URL bar?

I added an archive page, linked beneath the alt text, but it's lazily implemented so pretty slow. As you no doubt noticed too, if you replace the 'achewood.com' part of the standard URL with 'altwood.gagarindeep.space', it'll take you to that comic. Which is a bodge I know!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm up to 2003.

Achewood is pretty good yall

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dregan posted:

I added an archive page, linked beneath the alt text, but it's lazily implemented so pretty slow. As you no doubt noticed too, if you replace the 'achewood.com' part of the standard URL with 'altwood.gagarindeep.space', it'll take you to that comic. Which is a bodge I know!

Excellent! Even if it’s slow I only need to use it rarely. This’ll be great for my yearly archive trawl.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm up to 2003.

Seriously, a thick collection set with the alt text written in cursive under each strip would be purchased by me no questions asked

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm up to 2003.

So jealous. Too easy to just keep clicking next so I won't recommend you weave all the blogs and Ray's Place, etc. into it chronologically but make sure to read them eventually, they're top notch and have some little storylines that aren't in the comic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So jealous. Too easy to just keep clicking next so I won't recommend you weave all the blogs and Ray's Place, etc. into it chronologically but make sure to read them eventually, they're top notch and have some little storylines that aren't in the comic.

I'll keep that in mind!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I have a little fantasy of hand crafting myself a set of Achewood books, one day. Everything just High++ quality. I'd have the blogs and other items inter spaced chronologically in with the strips. along with alt text, of course.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have a little fantasy of hand crafting myself a set of Achewood books, one day. Everything just High++ quality. I'd have the blogs and other items inter spaced chronologically in with the strips. along with alt text, of course.

What's the kickstarter link so I can throw money at this?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Saoshyant posted:

Cedar and leather bound, with brass corner supports and an embossed copper or bronze medallion inset in the side that says " The Dude and Catastrophe" with Achewood in gold leaf down the spine in a cursive font.

If you turned Cornelius Bear into a book, this would be it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saoshyant posted:

I still don't know why Onstad hasn't Kickstartered more books, it's not like there are licensing issues or anything cause it's just him, come on man we need it bad

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I want to make a joke about him being too busy working on the cartoon but I'm just sad.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Onstad and publishing pre-ordered books has not been the winningest combination.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

Onstad and publishing pre-ordered books has not been the winningest combination.

Did he ever pay people back?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Not that I know of, but I wouldn't.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nope, never did, still a running joke here. I thought about alluding to it but I figured someone else would.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Javid posted:

Wait.. What exactly are you referring to here?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Onstad took pre-orders for a sequel to the Achewood Cookbook, but then never released it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Cedar and leather bound, with brass corner supports and an embossed copper or bronze medallion inset in the side that says " The Dude and Catastrophe" with Achewood in gold leaf down the spine in a cursive font.

If you turned Cornelius Bear into a book, this would be it.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Onstad took pre-orders for a sequel to the Achewood Cookbook, but then never released it.

Which wouldn't be a Thing if he had bothered issuing refunds.

I'm guessing he doesn't wanna pull on that band-aid.