Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

I would need both hands to count the number of times I'd walk into a place in my MSP days where their longtime IT guy had left/retired/committed suicide, and found that the internal subnet is a 192.0.0.0/24

I had client that was using 209.143.0.0/16 as their internal network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your lovely anime avatar is actually quite appropriate for that post.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
As a former IBMer I am more offended by the continued existence of HP-UX

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Your lovely anime avatar is actually quite appropriate for that post.

I don't know anything about anime - what's the background?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

As a former IBMer I am more offended by the continued existence of HP-UX

I remember when I first heard that they had an HP-UX box. I was thinking, "Cool, I like UNIX, and there's probably an old greybeard working there that can show me some cool stuff"

HA
HAHAHAHA
HAHAHHAAHHAH

Nobody there even knew what the gently caress vi was
Also they did the ol' chmod -R 777

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I don't either, it's the thumbs up animation I was referring to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Person with a client in the financial services industry using public IP space they don't own inside their network because they liked the way the numbers lined up, checking in.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody there even knew what the gently caress vi was
Also they did the ol' chmod -R 777
This is basically every surviving HP-UX shop I’ve ever seen. It’s an ancient box of mystery that does critical things and people only have the faintest idea how it works.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Person with a client in the financial services industry using public IP space they don't own inside their network because they liked the way the numbers lined up, checking in.

One of my coworkers was recently an IT manager at a local credit union that's been around for at least 20 years, and they were happily using 196.x.x.x across their headquarters and all their branches. He was telling me about a delightful incident in which they put in a new firewall that immediately started blocking traffic for a bunch of their critical services because of course it was seeing a whole bunch of traffic on the internal network as somehow coming from India.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
My shop's addressing was 192.128.x.x/24 when I started, for some reason. Fortunately new management came in shortly after, who knew what they were doing, and put everything on new, actually private subnets real quick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only thing I know about HP-UX is they had the [ OK ] status messages as daemons started during boot way before Linux was doing it. Was fun to figure out where the roots of that pattern are.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Super Soaker Party! posted:

One of my coworkers was recently an IT manager at a local credit union that's been around for at least 20 years, and they were happily using 196.x.x.x across their headquarters and all their branches. He was telling me about a delightful incident in which they put in a new firewall that immediately started blocking traffic for a bunch of their critical services because of course it was seeing a whole bunch of traffic on the internal network as somehow coming from India.

Thanks Ants posted:

I work for an FI, and after hearing stories about the way a lot of other FIs handle their IT/security, moved my account to the FI I work for.

We're far from perfect, but we're definitely nowhere near "using public IPs in a private space" bad. And most of the bad doesn't come from IT.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'd just like to remind everyone that my employer's IT department's official answer to "Why can't we have wireless devices on the network" is: "We're out of IP addresses."

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

totalnewbie posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone that my employer's IT department's official answer to "Why can't we have wireless devices on the network" is: "We're out of IP addresses."

I choose to believe they know they can get more address space, but needed an excuse to not implement wifi. And this makes them my heroes.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 17, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

*sprints into thread, trips over flip-flops, wipes sweat off face* IT’S *pant pant* IT’S MAKISE KURISU FROM STEINS;GATE AND SHE’S A GENIUS ENGINEER

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

capitalcomma posted:

I choose to believe they know they can get more address space, but needed an excuse to not implement wifi. And this makes them my heroes.

The real reason is half their poo poo is statically assigned (as opposed to DNS reservations). 1) they're too lazy to fix it. 2) they don't know which half.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The real reason is half their poo poo is statically assigned (as opposed to DNS reservations). 1) they're too lazy to fix it. 2) they don't know which half.

Step 1: Stop caring about static addressing of other objects in other vlans because it doesn't loving matter.
Step 2: Add new vlan to network. (Switches, ap's, whatever)
Step 3: Setup DHCP scope for that vlan.
Step 4: Pretend this task was really hard and time consuming

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Someone who has worked in design for over 20 years left, their file naming is beyond dumb (Company Name/Old Stuff/Company Name/Last Software/Company Name/Files/July 2016/ - files with 2018 creation dates.

There's random dates as folder names, but the files insides are from a smattering of years. It's incredibly annoying and the CEO and new person keep calling me asking me where stuff is. How about you call the person who made this mess because I have no idea.

Bonus, file names are just as bad, "the sad guy but happy text.psd" is an actual file name, and that's one of the better ones.

There's over 200,000 files completely disorganized and no indication of if something is a current product, retired product, a work in progress, or a failed concept. This is clearly not my problem, I raised this issue when I started and it was seen as "we'll worry about that if %person% leaves". That's fine, leave me out of the cleanup then.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Speaking of IP messes...

The 2 new locations we are acquiring are a complete IP address mess.

The EDI software they currently use relies on the client's IP for licensing purposes, so they use static IP for everything. Servers, clients, printers, etc.. are all over the place with seemingly chosen at random addresses. With a tiny DHCP range from .50 to .79 that is not used at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

Bonus, file names are just as bad, "the sad guy but happy text.psd" is an actual file name, and that's one of the better ones.

My favorite loltastic file path went something like

\\FILESRV01\Files\CompanyName\DONT loving TOUCH THIS\YES BILL THAT ALSO MEANS YOU\I AM NOT loving KIDDING\stuff

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Weedle posted:

*sprints into thread, trips over flip-flops, wipes sweat off face* IT’S *pant pant* IT’S MAKISE KURISU FROM STEINS;GATE AND SHE’S A GENIUS ENGINEER

Haha, I appreciated this and made a weird embarrassing snort-sound at work. Thanks.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Pissing me off: people who compound mistakes by not reading invites properly. I was asked to provide training to someone "by next week" so that the person could run a report and give the data to someone for a presentation. The person in question knew the date of the presentation because she's the assistant of the presenter.

I screwed up--totally my fault--and scheduled the training for the week after the required date. I own that. But don't you think the person who knew the deadline would have said, "Hey, um, you sent me a calendar invite for July 23 and we need this for July 16"? Nope. But when the presenter sent around the angry email this morning, the assistant sure did manage to chime in and say "Oh, I couldn't provide the data for you because I hadn't received the training yet." :rolleyes:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

Pissing me off: people who compound mistakes by not reading invites properly. I was asked to provide training to someone "by next week" so that the person could run a report and give the data to someone for a presentation. The person in question knew the date of the presentation because she's the assistant of the presenter.

I screwed up--totally my fault--and scheduled the training for the week after the required date. I own that. But don't you think the person who knew the deadline would have said, "Hey, um, you sent me a calendar invite for July 23 and we need this for July 16"? Nope. But when the presenter sent around the angry email this morning, the assistant sure did manage to chime in and say "Oh, I couldn't provide the data for you because I hadn't received the training yet." :rolleyes:

I was covering for one of my new direct reports who was out on his honeymoon last week and issued a set of work instructions to one of his people that were not very smart less than 100% efficient, due to my unfamiliarity with that particular process.

Said person took those instructions and followed them to the T and when the predictable problem arose due to the less than ideal order of operations he stood back and said, "I knew this would happen!"

Thanks for speaking up, pal.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Bonus points: I just realized that the presenter sent angry email #1 after COB last night. As in, "Hey, where's my data? Yes I know that my assistant regularly leaves at 3:30 and most people leave by 4:30, but it's 5pm and I don't have it! Please email it to me by 7:30am tomorrow (before COB)." :fuckoff:

Edit: Note of course that this was not submitted as a ticket. I could almost live with the repercussions if it had been.
Edit 2: One reason I specifically came to this job was because I was sick of being expected to do after-hours calls. When I log out, I ain't talking to nobody unless something is literally in flames.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why are so many ex-military people the kind of dicks who try to pull rank on people?

:911:

One of our retail guys is retired Army and tries to bully my helpdesk guys around and I have to get in the middle of it. One of our remote location guys, retired Chair Force, was the same way (they fired his rear end for other reasons). They wouldn't even try to pull that poo poo directly with me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aunt Beth posted:

This is basically every surviving HP-UX shop I’ve ever seen. It’s an ancient box of mystery that does critical things and people only have the faintest idea how it works.

I used to maintain the commercial Unix (including HPUX) ports of some antivirus software at my old job (coding and also unofficial build box sysadmin)

Pretty much as soon as I left they announced its retirement :sun: though actually AIX is more 'weird' in my experience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Why are so many ex-military people the kind of dicks who try to pull rank on people?

:911:

One of our retail guys is retired Army and tries to bully my helpdesk guys around and I have to get in the middle of it. One of our remote location guys, retired Chair Force, was the same way (they fired his rear end for other reasons). They wouldn't even try to pull that poo poo directly with me.

ime it's like vegans, where the only reason you would ever know they're X is because they bring up X at every opportunity regardless of context, for the sole purpose of browbeating you
This applies to
- vegans
- ex-military (rarely current, with the occasional exception of "brand new officers")
- lawyers
- doctors
- professors, especially tenured
- union reps

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

ime it's like vegans, where the only reason you would ever know they're X is because they bring up X at every opportunity regardless of context, for the sole purpose of browbeating you
This applies to
- vegans
- ex-military (rarely current, with the occasional exception of "brand new officers")
- lawyers
- doctors
- professors, especially tenured
- union reps

Going to add:

chiropractors
real estate agents

My boss is ex-military, but rarely talks about it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

folder redirection permissions shenanigans are currently annoying me. User wasn't getting proper folder redirection because he's an idiot and hosed up his domain communication by testing stuff on his own computer; got it fixed but he's getting access denied to his redirected folders. Nothing in the folders anyway, blew them away and had policy re-run, still getting access denied, but the folders were created correctly and if I check permissions on them they're exactly the same as other users. Very Annoying.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today I came back from retaking a foundation level exam for software testing, and I somehow ended up performing WORSE. :suicide:
The first time I took the exam I got a 57; now after even harder studying (and more time to study) I got a 47.

I also realized that I had taken the wrong standard exam for the second time (ASTQB) instead of ISTQB, which I had done coursework on.

My father is adamant in forcing me to take a third exam within a week because I NEED THAT CERTIFICATE FOR THAT INTERVIEW still. Do I?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

tactlessbastard posted:

I was covering for one of my new direct reports who was out on his honeymoon last week and issued a set of work instructions to one of his people that were not very smart less than 100% efficient, due to my unfamiliarity with that particular process.

Said person took those instructions and followed them to the T and when the predictable problem arose due to the less than ideal order of operations he stood back and said, "I knew this would happen!"

Thanks for speaking up, pal.

I don't know anything about this situation other than what you've wrote, so don't take this the wrong way, but I've had similar experiences before.

We've got a third-party vendor who does some work for us and previously, it was really frustrating because they would either not follow my instructions clearly and interpret them as they saw fit (not acceptable) or they would just do what I said and then say, "Yeah, saw that but that's not what you said so I didn't do that" when I had to go back and fix it, which is just frustrating. So I've had to work really hard to foster a relationship with where they know that they should both follow my instructions to the letter, but also be very comfortable bringing things to my attention when they suspect something is not quite right, because I admit that I'm human and make mistakes and would like for the other person/party to help cover for me if/when I do make mistakes.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Today I came back from retaking a foundation level exam for software testing, and I somehow ended up performing WORSE. :suicide:
The first time I took the exam I got a 57; now after even harder studying (and more time to study) I got a 47.

I also realized that I had taken the wrong standard exam for the second time (ASTQB) instead of ISTQB, which I had done coursework on.

My father is adamant in forcing me to take a third exam within a week because I NEED THAT CERTIFICATE FOR THAT INTERVIEW still. Do I?

It certainly helps if you haven't worked in the field before.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know anything about this situation other than what you've wrote, so don't take this the wrong way, but I've had similar experiences before.

We've got a third-party vendor who does some work for us and previously, it was really frustrating because they would either not follow my instructions clearly and interpret them as they saw fit (not acceptable) or they would just do what I said and then say, "Yeah, saw that but that's not what you said so I didn't do that" when I had to go back and fix it, which is just frustrating. So I've had to work really hard to foster a relationship with where they know that they should both follow my instructions to the letter, but also be very comfortable bringing things to my attention when they suspect something is not quite right, because I admit that I'm human and make mistakes and would like for the other person/party to help cover for me if/when I do make mistakes.

I feel you, I work very hard to not be the 'lawgiver' type of manager and I took complete ownership of that fuckup. I try to solicit feedback and never needlessly poo poo on unsolicited advice or input but I'm not perfect and I do suffer from resting hostile face, apparently.

This guy in particular though was in tight with Angry Boss and used to be on a very, very long leash and he's acting up after the re-org because we aren't letting his department work as a black box anymore. I'll just have to keep in mind he's going to take everything extremely literally and really mind my ps and qs. Which I should have done in the first place, so I guess he's got me trained so well done, Kyle.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chin up everything sucks posted:

It certainly helps if you haven't worked in the field before.
Wait a second. Is SCORM/SQE training (the course I was recommended) different from ISTQB? Did I gently caress myself up by taking the wrong software course to the exam?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 17, 2018

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Working through an office 2010 to o365 upgrade and some of the pilot users are pointing out that if they leave excel files open when they undock and take their laptop home, sometimes it'll throw an error when they try to save while on the vpn and they swear up and down it didn't happen in 2010 and I do not believe them at all

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

SCORM and ISTQB look to be totally different things. ISTQB is for software testers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chin up everything sucks posted:

SCORM and ISTQB look to be totally different things. ISTQB is for software testers.
AaaaAAAAaaagh no wonder I hosed up the ISTQB twice. (BRB going to attempt certificate from SCORM course)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What's supposed to happen when I finish the SCORM course? (I glossed over the sample exam and went straight to ISTQB studying, thinking that's what needed to be done)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Grouchio posted:

What's supposed to happen when I finish the SCORM course? (I glossed over the sample exam and went straight to ISTQB studying, thinking that's what needed to be done)

You might want to move this to the IT Certification Megathread, this is the thread for bitching about our jobs.