Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

milkman dad posted:

They would also gain good faith in the community if they bent to the 60ms ping memes the pro's suffer with and allow for streaming on the TR server in LA (in addition to allowing folks to use a standard queue system). If people could watch pick-up games with non-autofilled pro players it would make for some exciting content.

What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

uguu posted:

What does this mean?

All professional players in the NA LCS live in LA, where the recording studio is located. Riot has a special server called the Tournament Realm (TR) that's used for hosting professional events, but it's also open and available to all professional players to play on at any time (though there's no inbuilt matchmaking available), and is located in LA, which means extremely low ping times for anyone connecting from that region. Although professional players can theoretically all play together on the TR in order to create a more competitive environment than solo queue with lower ping to better simulate LAN conditions, the lack of streaming has been claimed as one of the reasons for why they haven't. Realistically, I doubt enabling streaming would actually create the competitive environment people are looking for on the TR.

Anyways, here's the full Akali reveal. I forgot how many loving skins she had, Jesus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As was said on the NALCS broadcast last night, if NA can't figure out how to play pick-up games how the hell are they going to figure out how to win Worlds.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
As an ADC main who has been mostly away from the game for the past two years, coming back and looking at the game again is... surreal.

I shed a tear for literally every champion that I used to play (rip crit, never forget), but looking at both pro play and the half dozen games I've experienced myself it seems like the metagame is more fluid and varied than it's ever been. Was stomping on crit carries actually a good thing? I'm beginning to think so.

Though the fact that neo-Akali is a distillation of every overloaded kit ever (stun, multiple dashes, execute damage, tower aggro-dropping stealth, manaless sustain) says less flattering things about Riot's champ design trend.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are there any other champions with stealth that cant be seen by towers, am i forgetting someone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verviticus posted:

are there any other champions with stealth that cant be seen by towers, am i forgetting someone

Nada. The state she enters (obscured) is unique to her kit. It gives her a niche as an assassin that can control space and dive towers, but the tradeoff is that her kit involves a pretty stiff level of commitment. Most other assassins in the game have escapes as a basic part of their kit, but her only way out is through her ult. If you gently caress up your execution and use your ult poorly, you're stuck in your non-slowing, non-blink granting fart cloud until Dr. Mundo runs you down like an animal.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There's also the shuriken toss. You can probably stay in your fart cloud long enough for it to come off cooldown and then hop a wall.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I have a TR account now lmao

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Vermain posted:

Nada. The state she enters (obscured) is unique to her kit. It gives her a niche as an assassin that can control space and dive towers, but the tradeoff is that her kit involves a pretty stiff level of commitment. Most other assassins in the game have escapes as a basic part of their kit, but her only way out is through her ult. If you gently caress up your execution and use your ult poorly, you're stuck in your non-slowing, non-blink granting fart cloud until Dr. Mundo runs you down like an animal.

her e looks like a dash as well

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

curiousCat posted:

How did you get one?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Vermain posted:

It also seems like she might not have the ability to instantly destroy someone when ahead like a Talon or Eve can.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

why does stealth and blind work on lee loving sin

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

milkman dad posted:

I think the issue really is game growth vs game death. The game is in a stable spot player population-wise, it's just not growing.

There's a huge cost of investment to get into the game now. With the changes Riot is proposing it will make it even more difficult to feel like you can go into ranked. If you remember, the new ranked system will track your rank separately for each position (Top,Mid,Jg,Bot,Sup). On my main account I am fine with this because I have all the champions unlocked. I don't need to worry about having ~3 meta champions for each position it might fill me in. On my smurf account it's an entirely different proposition. If I wanted to buy all the champions at full RP cost I would be looking at $700 (which is a terrible idea, never do this).

I think Riot/Tencent have probably had a tough conversation about power gating by locking champions and we'll see all champions unlocked in the next season or 2. We already see more champions are now being unlocked in ARAM. Moreover, you can see Riot testing the waters with limited skin releases again (Dark Star Cho'Gath). After it's discontinued it can only be gained via gemstone currency (think ~$100-$300 per skin). This will shift the revenue stream over to cosmetics, where it rightfully should be, instead of core gameplay. It also disincentives Riot from building the champion roster with new characters that don't bring in new core gameplay mechanics. I liked the Zoe release because she felt unique. On the other hand, Kai'sa just feels like another marksman that only brought in the mechanic of "upgrades through build order."

They would also gain good faith in the community if they bent to the 60ms ping memes the pro's suffer with and allow for streaming on the TR server in LA (in addition to allowing folks to use a standard queue system). If people could watch pick-up games with non-autofilled pro players it would make for some exciting content.

This is a good post and you kind of wrote out a lot of things that I was thinking. I think that in house leagues (I think you are talking about this in your last paragraph) could be great but I heard that Riot does not want to allow them. They are pretty fun and don't take too much organization especially if they have active admins that ban poo poo heads.

I think Zoe & Pyke are really interesting champs that add to the game but agree with you that Kaisa does not feel like anything special.

As for freeing up all the heroes I am all for it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

As for freeing up all the heroes I am all for it.

As a new player who just spent cash money to unlock more dudes, I will be mad bummed if they're all free. I don't know what Rito could do to make me whole, but I would definitely feel wronged if there was nothing.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I think they should get rid of all the ninjas, samurais and other invisible/invincible trash can heroes for human scum.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

milkman dad posted:

How did you get one?

I got flown out to LA to compete in a tournament

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

As a new player who just spent cash money to unlock more dudes, I will be mad bummed if they're all free. I don't know what Rito could do to make me whole, but I would definitely feel wronged if there was nothing.

Prepare yourself for some free epic skins (this will be what you get)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Ahh the gently caress you got mine, more commonly seen with college education discussions

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im just gonna say for the record i think inventing a new stealth that cant be seen by towers is dumb, especially right after making 2 other kinds of stealth that many people still don't understand the rules of

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCQMIZkevBc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's been so long since I've been this absurdly fed in a game that I completely forgot Sterak's and Maw don't stack. We had a Ryze botlane and no one on their team bought a drop of armor.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They knocked this out of the park aesthetically just like with Irelia and Aatrox. Whoever's been doing the full reworks lately has been slamming dunks, it's awesome.

Most of her skin splashes look really good too!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Unpopular opinion, but manaless champions, multiple dashes, assassins and invisibility are all bad and Akali is going to be one of the worst design atrocities in a game already rife with them.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
ZED's been in the game for six years.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

porfiria posted:

ZED's been in the game for six years.

Which is why I wrote "one of"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

curiousCat posted:

I've had once since 2013, I remember playing support for Scarra

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
gently caress I am really getting paranoid about getting demoted now. I have been winning one, losing one, won one, lost two, won one, lost one, won one, lost two.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89

The good news is that in most of my games I have been playing decently so I feel like if I can get to 40 LP that I can really grind up into G4. The bad news is that if I keep getting teammates that won't group then I will most likely get demoted. Are you guys sure they give you a warning before you get bumped down? My MMR is at S2 now so I feel like I am running out of time and the pressure is starting to tilt me a bit.

I had a game yesterday where I went 9-0 as Vlad in the first 20 minutes and I had a Jinx that just kept trying to solo farm the sidelanes and get one shotted by a Regnar. Another game same sort of situation where we had two teammates that wanted to farm instead of push a giant advantage. Another game had two people leave pretty early so I am seriously hitting a string of bad luck which is pretty tilting. Not to say that I am playing perfect because I definitely fed my face off in one of those games vs a wukong and in general I could be farming better in most of my games.

I think being unbelievably fed and not being able to have your team group to finish things out is the thing that tilts me the most in any moba. :negative:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 17, 2018

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop getting into your head and just play the game. Every game is a single entry in a large database and you should just focus on improving in areas and if you do that, then you can influence things better and make better strides. Worrying about losing or winning and all that bullshit is just giving you anxiety and WILL make you play worse.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Aumanor posted:

Unpopular opinion, but manaless champions, multiple dashes, assassins and invisibility are all bad and Akali is going to be one of the worst design atrocities in a game already rife with them.

Akali being manaless is completely meaningless when her wave clear looks like complete rear end. Also being energy-based is a complete crutch after the first 10 minutes anyway. And assassins need dashes to even function.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i have determined the best noxus beach volleyball team to be darius(noxian guillotine spikes) and leblanc(w/ult w for receives and positioning). what teams do the other factions have?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

i have determined the best noxus beach volleyball team to be darius(noxian guillotine spikes) and leblanc(w/ult w for receives and positioning). what teams do the other factions have?

Bikini LeBlanc (spanish for The Blank)...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zaun has Blitz and Ekko, Ekko can just chrono break if he fucks up and Blitz can reach just about anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8.14 notes. Aatrox got whacked, some of the crit ADCs got a few buffs, Conqueror isn't as godly at early levels anymore, Teleport's weaker, and the new cursor's finally out. Crucially, Vi got another buff. Free MMR, baby!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm the 6 minute teleport cooldown meant to encourage aggressive play :riot:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reality Loser posted:

I'm the 6 minute teleport cooldown meant to encourage aggressive play :riot:

The idea behind it is that, if you use it to get back to lane because you hosed up, you're now locked out of being able to remotely influence the map for a lot longer than normal. Getting your opponent's TP by killing him or driving him out of lane is now more valuable, and, conversely, using your TP to go elsewhere to get kills/objectives instead of just TPing back to lane is more useful because of the higher opportunity cost.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Enigma89 posted:

Low elo problems

Hey, I'm in the same situation, was mid gold and dropped to the demotion zone once the meta went out of wack. I'll add you tonight if you want to play a few games

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Vermain posted:

8.14 notes. Aatrox got whacked, some of the crit ADCs got a few buffs, Conqueror isn't as godly at early levels anymore, Teleport's weaker, and the new cursor's finally out. Crucially, Vi got another buff. Free MMR, baby!!

I think I said this in the discord while the Aatrox changes were on the PBE, but I'll glad take those early game nerfs for the ult utility and the Q freeze on revive. That last one has hosed up so -many- of my dives.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

pog boyfriend posted:

Demacia have two world class dunkers in J4 and Garen, and I guess Lux for the assists

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Mash posted:

Demacia have two world class dunkers in J4 and Garen, and I guess Lux for the assists

beach volleyball teams have 2 players. indoor has 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Bruiser Fizz is back

I can't believe they pushed that W change through