Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

I'm pretty skeptical on those kind of "reports".

You have every right to be. Electrek and the writer of the article have a known affiliation with Tesla and write accordingly.

poo poo source but some googling verifies the basic facts.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/10/electrek-loonyland-referrals-scandal-goes-international-fred-lambert-doubles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cockmaster posted:

Is it really as bad at the $35k price point as it is at, say, $15k?

The 15k market doesn’t really exist anymore

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 15k market doesn’t really exist anymore
It's the chevy spark (which everybody but me abhors). That's the build quality and feature set a 15k car throws at you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

It's the chevy spark (which everybody but me abhors). That's the build quality and feature set a 15k car throws at you.

I like the Spark. It's a cute little car. I find its ride to be a bit jouncy due to its low mass and short wheelbase, but otherwise it's pretty great. It's also really small. Like a 4-door Smart Car. I rode in one the other day while my son's fiance was car shopping. (She settled on a Mazda 3, shockingly).

I think it's just too small for most people, particularly when there are much nicer, larger options available for not a lot more.

Anyway, $20k is pretty much the minimum for useful, driveable cars.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Spark EV owner checking in. It's real cheap and real good. 400 lb-ft of torque!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Spark EV owner checking in. It's real cheap and real good. 400 lb-ft of torque!

Yo these are cheap as all hell used. Should I get one? I like the idea of driving like I stole it every day for like a dollar.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I mean I've had it for a year and a half now and it's been great. All I've done is charge when needed and refilled the wiper fluid. We drive it 10 miles round-trip to the park and ride everyday. If it died tomorrow I'd get another.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

In the long run, successfully getting into the affordable car market would net them way more money than they could get from just luxury vehicles. It just requires far higher production numbers to turn a steady profit, which means way more time and money to get going.
Also it is literally the entire point of the company (mass adoption of EVs). Given his insane ego trips I think it is more than likely that Musk would run the company into the ground in the pursuit of achieving that aim rather than let it languish as this niche high-end producer.
Then again the insane ego thing probably means he could easily dupe himself into changing the whole aim of the enterprise if he comes round to the viewpoint that it's just not going to work.
But I can't see that happening given they are currently on ~260k Model 3's per year. Seems to me they have gotten through the worst of it and they are certainly in a better position than they were a few months back. Next big test will be whether they really can get the $35k model out, and whether they can do so and turn a profit on it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm a Tesla fanboy but I've soured quite a bit on Elon lately. Nobody seems to able to handle having a personality cult, not even ironically. He even called one of the Thai rescue divers a pedo, just like Trump he will snap at any perceived slight. As much as he enables the EV future, he also gets in the way of much of it with this and with stupid Jetsons turbo thruster ideas, quite literally in the case of the Roadster 2.0.

As far as the EV future is concerned, the iPace and the Kona seems to have the specs I really want. 60+ kWh, 100 kW charging, adaptive cruise and a decent lane keeper. Add a paid, profitable highway charging network which is nice to use and I'm set for life. Oh and remote control app for at least the climate controls. This will hopefully be what other manufacturers develop towards and not the Jetsons space cult bullshit.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

El Grillo posted:

Also it is literally the entire point of the company (mass adoption of EVs). Given his insane ego trips I think it is more than likely that Musk would run the company into the ground in the pursuit of achieving that aim rather than let it languish as this niche high-end producer.
Then again the insane ego thing probably means he could easily dupe himself into changing the whole aim of the enterprise if he comes round to the viewpoint that it's just not going to work.
But I can't see that happening given they are currently on ~260k Model 3's per year. Seems to me they have gotten through the worst of it and they are certainly in a better position than they were a few months back. Next big test will be whether they really can get the $35k model out, and whether they can do so and turn a profit on it.

Though if all of Tesla's middle-class customers gravitate towards the Model Y once it arrives (not that implausible given the US auto market), it may not stay profitable for long.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

I'm a Tesla fanboy but I've soured quite a bit on Elon lately.

I would like Tesla and $TSLA a lot better without Elon Musk.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

:emptyquote:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would definitely love to be a fly on the wall for the next board meeting, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Though if all of Tesla's middle-class customers gravitate towards the Model Y once it arrives (not that implausible given the US auto market), it may not stay profitable for long.

they are going to make an absurd amount of money on the Y if they can deliver it for roughly 45, which should be very doable. First mover with an all-electric crossover? woo yeah print that money

Frankly, I'm not sure why they didn't skip the 3, although the X has been a pretty dismal failure in part because of the retarded falcon doors USE REGULAR ENCLOSURES ON THE Y DUDES

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Subjunctive posted:

Without Elon $tsla would crash to where it "deserves" to be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they are going to make an absurd amount of money on the Y if they can deliver it for roughly 45, which should be very doable. First mover with an all-electric crossover? woo yeah print that money
I heard a rumor that they are expecting over 750k reservations for the Y on day 1. If they are expecting numbers like that it must be impressive as hell.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What exactly is the difference between the Y and the X? Just smaller and with regular doors?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What exactly is the difference between the Y and the X? Just smaller and with regular doors?

Ahhh, now the S3XY will be complete.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Replace Elon Musk with Bob Lutz.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

Without Elon $tsla would crash to where it "deserves" to be.

Yes, I would like that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, I would like that.
Uhh, why?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Frankly, I'm not sure why they didn't skip the 3, although the X has been a pretty dismal failure in part because of the retarded falcon doors USE REGULAR ENCLOSURES ON THE Y DUDES

I think the Hyundai Kona will be the real first mover in the crossover space.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

blugu64 posted:

Replace Elon Musk with Bob Lutz.

I mean Lutz is credited for being the father of the chevy volt so he might be the one who pushed to make more EV stuff.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wargames posted:

I mean Lutz is credited for being the father of the chevy volt so he might be the one who pushed to make more EV stuff.

He's also a climate change denying poo poo head.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ethereal posted:

I think the Hyundai Kona will be the real first mover in the crossover space.

Is this coming to the US? It might fly under the radar for a while as the tech press doesn't really care about anything that isn't Elon and the car press doesn't care about Hyundai.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm confused by this feeling because the Kona is an affordable EV crossover that looks nice and is affordable and is being manufactured by a real car company known for good vehicle quality, right now.

By the time the Y could be manufactured (which will probably never happen anyway) there will be over 100 EV models on the market.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

FistEnergy posted:

I'm confused by this feeling because the Kona is an affordable EV crossover that looks nice and is affordable and is being manufactured by a real car company known for good vehicle quality, right now.

By the time the Y could be manufactured (which will probably never happen anyway) there will be over 100 EV models on the market.

So this is the claim you are making?

By the time the Model Y hits the market, there will be over 100 EVs for sale on the American market. That is quite the claim.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's because we'll be using Star Trek style warpcars by then.

Because the Y will take a long time to come out.
If it comes out at all.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Sicilian posted:

So this is the claim you are making?

By the time the Model Y hits the market, there will be over 100 EVs for sale on the American market. That is quite the claim.

Not really, if you've been following EVs or can handle 5 minutes of Googling.

Bloomberg: 120 EV models by 2020

https://about.bnef.com/blog/long-range-ev-market-set-get-crowded-2020/

There's a ton of sources but I picked a well-known one that puts the fact you're looking for right out front.

If you want to nitpick about which ones you think will/won't be available in the American market, I could do the same thing for the Model Y. Except my argument would carry a lot more weight, since the companies on Bloomberg's list know how to make cars in large numbers at a profit.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 17, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I doubt I could name 120 current ICE models.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's 1000 combinations with 3 digit numbering, that'll give you good coverage on the lux brands.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's way too many to keep track of what's being released where and what the differences are. The point is that EVs are about to go mainstream and Tesla's first mover advantage is over. Their original mission - to spend a lot of money to use their first mover advantage to gobble up market share - has failed. They spent all the money, but they didn't make cheap enough cars - or enough cars in general - to blunt the force of every established company entering the market once battery tech matured. Tesla has probably failed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There will be 120 renders on Electrek by Christmas and 12 cars on the market in 2020.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

FistEnergy posted:

Not really, if you've been following EVs or can handle 5 minutes of Googling.

Bloomberg: 120 EV models by 2020

https://about.bnef.com/blog/long-range-ev-market-set-get-crowded-2020/

There's a ton of sources but I picked a well-known one that puts the fact you're looking for right out front.

If you want to nitpick about which ones you think will/won't be available in the American market, I could do the same thing for the Model Y. Except my argument would carry a lot more weight, since the companies on Bloomberg's list know how to make cars in large numbers at a profit.

Ola posted:

There will be 120 renders on Electrek by Christmas and 12 cars on the market in 2020.

I see the latter quote as the reality.

There is no way there are 100 production, available for purchase EVs by the time the Model Y is available for purchase.

This isn't a ding against other makes, but, the battery production capability needs to catch up with those lofty productions.

*I am solely speaking of pure EVs, not plug in hybrids.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Ola posted:

Is this coming to the US? It might fly under the radar for a while as the tech press doesn't really care about anything that isn't Elon and the car press doesn't care about Hyundai.

The Kia Niro EV should also be coming to the US at around the same time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Has anyone used one of the Electrify America chargers? Is it another NFC card with an e-purse or do they have card readers or what?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Has anyone used one of the Electrify America chargers? Is it another NFC card with an e-purse or do they have card readers or what?

I haven't (there appear to be only 5 built so far, on the east coast), but their press materials say you can just swipe a CC

quote:

A 15-inch touch screen display includes redundant physical buttons below the screen. All chargers will have credit card readers to allow payment to be as simple and familiar as pumping gasoline at a service station.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Good. We can do better (plug in, car data informs charger who to bill later), but just sticking a card reader on the thing is better than most everything else. Gotta watch out for skimmers, but at least you don't have to make an account.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I forgot about the Kona and Niro. where i will go to the mat for Tesla is that they have by far the best sales model in the industry. when john q public walks in to a Hyundai or Kia dealership (which are loving dire places that have only just maybe started to climb out of the 10-year unlimited warranty cheap credit buy-here-pay-here buyer) that mother fucker is going to tell him to buy a Sportage or a Tucson or whatever. tesla has a huge advantage because they don't have a dedicated nationwide sales force of retards actively trying to convince customers not to buy electric cars. this is a big problem with the Bolt, too!

I still think we're at the point where Tesla's sales model is an advantage.

I will eat my hat if there are 100 battery EV only models that you can go out there and buy in 2020. Right now I count: 3, S, X, Bolt, Leaf, can you still buy a 500e? eGolf, Focus Electric, uhhh what else? That makes eight?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

just for the record the Kona is not available for sale and has not been priced, christ, why are you loving idiots making me defend Tesla

I also think the Kona and the Niro are a bit too small. that segment is not where the real money is at. the real money is that you make a honda CR-V but it's electric. someone has to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Isn't that the model Y?

• Locked thread