Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This time they already threw it, and it has "lol" written on the side.

Maybe a monster truck stencil.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

it's this and it owns

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

As the grenade arced through the air, Robert Swan noticed a most curious thing, a small luggage tag taped to the side of it. In the last seconds of his life, he noticed the tag read: "To whom it may concern: lol".

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Okay if the IP theft here is so inevitable, why hasn't it been done before? Seriously, Hygon is an AMD puppet company and the fab company is probably filled with AMD engineers, this is secure as it can get.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Alternate hypothesis: AMD let Zen get completely reverse engineered and China cut AMD loose within a year. Say, how long has it been since Epyc "launched"? Oh right, a year.

Or, here me out, this is because the Chinese government is paranoid as gently caress and wants processors with their own custom security/backdoors? AMD has been cut loose because AMD is controlling the design and production at each step.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Ryzen 2600 non-X @ $160 after Newegg coupon code, courtesy Techreport:
https://techreport.com/news/33903/get-a-ryzen-5-2600-for-160-with-this-newegg-deal

RX580 8GB @ $300 with free Asrock AB350 board on Newegg too:
https://www.qksrv.net/links/1800524/type/am/https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-930-002

I would totally jumped if I weren't using 8700K now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is there any point really in clocking a 2700x?

Doesn't clocking disable xfr which gives a higher boost to two cores then is easy to achieve by clocking?

Also if anyone has any tips on getting high speed memory running, such as what voltages to goose, I'd appreciate it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Is there any point really in clocking a 2700x?

Doesn't clocking disable xfr which gives a higher boost to two cores then is easy to achieve by clocking?

Also if anyone has any tips on getting high speed memory running, such as what voltages to goose, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure about voltages for memory, but no don't bother overclocking a 2700X, XFR and PBO are waaay better at eeking out every ounce of potential the chip has, and safely as well. About the only time you want to manually OC is when you are doing something very highly threaded, and even then if you give XFR and PBO enough thermal headroom they'll push all cores as hard as they can anyway.

XFR3 and PBO3 will probably solve the core selection issues XFR2 and PBO2 have, and may even have built in protections so if they detect garbage VRMs they won't push as hard, so you couldn't even junk your board if you wanted to.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Re: AMD and China, VIA has also licensed their x86 chip designs to a Chinese company who are claiming they will improve them to reach a level of performance comparable to AMD's Zen cores by 2020.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Not sure about voltages for memory, but no don't bother overclocking a 2700X, XFR and PBO are waaay better at eeking out every ounce of potential the chip has, and safely as well. About the only time you want to manually OC is when you are doing something very highly threaded, and even then if you give XFR and PBO enough thermal headroom they'll push all cores as hard as they can anyway.

XFR3 and PBO3 will probably solve the core selection issues XFR2 and PBO2 have, and may even have built in protections so if they detect garbage VRMs they won't push as hard, so you couldn't even junk your board if you wanted to.

Ah great, thank you. Chip is in transit and I'm stoked.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
But DO set RAM timings where applicable - it's not entirely 100% hands off.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does ryzen read xmp profiles? This is some of the first ddr4 4000 and doesn't have AMP.

E - oh it's board dependant. Wonder if this board will.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 13, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My board supports 3466 and my 3600 memory runs at 3466 and no higher despite throwing power at it. I can tighten up most of my primary timings, but the system refuses to even try running the TC faster than xmp. Kind of odd.

My 2600x will boost to 4.25 GHz but will instantly freeze at the suggestion that it clock any higher at all manually.

I haven't tried very hard yet, but I guess I should be happy that everything just works beyond expectations out of the box.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

I should be happy that everything just works beyond expectations out of the box.

Yes, you should! That's a beast of a machine that should last you several years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dear god, release the drat Threadripper 2 already, so people can bench these things and that I know prices for budgeting in fall.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

LRADIKAL posted:

My board supports 3466 and my 3600 memory runs at 3466 and no higher despite throwing power at it. I can tighten up most of my primary timings, but the system refuses to even try running the TC faster than xmp. Kind of odd.

My 2600x will boost to 4.25 GHz but will instantly freeze at the suggestion that it clock any higher at all manually.

I haven't tried very hard yet, but I guess I should be happy that everything just works beyond expectations out of the box.

If I understand XFR2 correctly the CPU will auto clock as many cores to max speed as your thermal headroom supports anyway, so a manual overclock isn't worth the hassle since there is a hard upper bound on clock speed with Ryzen(+).

I'm glad I waited to get my 2600x instead of buying in during last year's growing pains, though. My Asus Prime X470-Pro didn't have any issue identifying my 3200 RAM and I haven't had a single issue with the BIOS or drivers. Beyond you guys helping me re-select the balanced power profile everything has worked perfectly out of the box.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Did any of you get one of those Ryzen waifu pillows? I kind of want one :3:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

true high level merch includes amada kokoro

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Der8auer went dicking around with an EPYC 7601 to theorycraft 2990X things. Turns out running Cinebench on the EPYC in quad channel mode results in ~3800 points, whereas octochannel results in ~5200 points. I guess a quad die Threadripper will be gimped in certain scenarios.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
AnandTech interviews Jim Keller, thought it might be of interest to some here

vv D'oh

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 16, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HalloKitty posted:

AnandTech reviews Jim Keller, thought it might be of interest to some here

they give Jim Keller a recommended buy in the conclusion, but IMHO it's a paper launch. I can't find Jim Keller in stock anywhere!

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was hoping to get a hint of when to expect Keller Lake.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bloody Antlers posted:

Was hoping to get a hint of when to expect Keller Lake.
I don't think there are any rivers named Keller Lake.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 16, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Khorne posted:

I don't think there are any rivers named Keller Lake.

Are you sure there isn't one formed by all the tears Intel is shedding because of zen and 10nm?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Regardless of the trend, Intel still has over 10x cash on hand over AMD atm. A small pond right now but yeah ok a lake forms if AMD scores a direct hit on 7nm.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hopefully it does and they can hire Raja back to keep the toilets clean.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Uh, my 2700+ boots with ddr4 4000

Unexpected

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
give us a trip report on 3dmark and stuff please.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

E - ah, it's not stable. Blue screen, and it's now booting into fail safe mode I guess. gently caress, it boots fast though. Faster then z170 ultra fast boot in normal boot mode.

It can't be far off stable tbh. I'll see what it'll do.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 17, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

E - ah, it's not stable. Blue screen, and it's now booting into fail safe mode I guess. gently caress, it boots fast though. Faster then z170 ultra fast boot in normal boot mode.

More Voltage

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ya. I'll bump the memory voltage up to 1.45 tomorrow and check it out. I'm surprised it even booted.

My temps in the bios are insane. 58C idle. Ryzen Master is reporting 30C idle, 63C loaded in OCCT, and the block / rad / back of board are barely warm, and the voltages are totally sane... so I'm trusting Ryzen Master. It's boosting fine up to 4.225GHz so I think it's just bios gently caress. Asrock X470 ITX.

What other programs are known good for checking temps with Ryzen 2700+?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 17, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Khorne posted:

More Voltage

The beatings will continue until stability improves :toughguy:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ya. I'll bump the memory voltage up to 1.45 tomorrow and check it out. I'm surprised it even booted.

My temps in the bios are insane. 58C idle. Ryzen Master is reporting 30C idle, 63C loaded in OCCT, and the block / rad / back of board are barely warm, and the voltages are totally sane... so I'm trusting Ryzen Master. It's boosting fine up to 4.225GHz so I think it's just bios gently caress. Asrock X470 ITX.

What other programs are known good for checking temps with Ryzen 2700+?

I use HWInfo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

lmao

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ah cool. Tdie matches Ryzen master and looks good. TY!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

If you've only tried the XMP profile, try disabling XMP, manually setting the Memory Clock to 4000, leaving all of the advanced timing configuration (except procODT and your ram/soc voltage) to auto. Ryzen boards have gotten quite good at finding their own set of stable timings. Like I mentioned previously, CL14 3600 will run faster (by literally a couple nanoseconds, or even several depending on subtimings) than CL16 4000, so you might want to try for that instead.

Try setting ProcODT to 80 Ohms (You can go as low as 68 or 60 with an AIO, but try 80 first), and lowering SOC voltage (Try 1.0125 and work upwards) before you increase ram voltage past 1.4v. 1usmus, the guy that wrote the Ryzen Timing Calculator also wrote a great primer on voltage settings and their effect on temperatures/stability: https://www.overclock.net/forum/26472770-post445.html. You totally can just throw 1.5v at the ram and cross your fingers, and it might pass stress tests, but it will totally fuckin crash in the middle of your 20 hour render/gaming session and piss you off.

Contrary to what a lot of people are telling you to do, you'll actually want to find the lowest ram voltage it'll cold boot with and then bump it 0.01 above that. Unlike Intel, which can drop memory channels and get into all sorts of extremely wonky states, with Ryzen, if it boots and passes stress tests, you can trust it.

Failing that, you'll want to actually use his guide to fill out the calculator correctly so that it can just generate the complete list of subtimings, voltages, RZQ settings, etc.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Double posting because I saw this in r/AMD and I've been thinking about it and I'm sure one of you can tell me why not:

Where are the triangular chips at? :tinfoil:

or, why are they all rectangular when they seem to be made from circles

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
While it might result in a few extra (like, maybe 1-10 depending on the size of the die), it would increase complexity of handling since cutters would have to cut in three directions (and waste slightly more from the cut; see pythagoras) AND be able to pick up the triangular die safely and easily. I don't know if they get picked up by grabbers or by vacuum, but if its grabbed, then you'd have to pick it up from all 3 sides. Not to mention changing all of the design libraries since you'd be wasting space in the tips otherwise. You would also have to work with it in sets of two (a complete rectangle) as piecewise tools such as testers rely on each die being exactly the same (not to mention final products!) I'm sure there are some other things I'm missing but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Seems to me like it'd be pretty easy to lose a lot of chips to damage on the narrow tip ends too. Plus those tips are probably difficult to use efficiently, imagine trying to cram furniture in the corner of a triangular room and still having room to path to it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

This is true. I didn't really think voltage would solve it. He probably needs to either increase timings or lower clock speed (and maybe decrease timings?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Don't take this as raining on the parade but even The Stilt did not find that most Ryzen second-gen dies in AM4 would be able to achieve stability with DDR4-3600, to say nothing of DDR4-4000. G.Skill's trick memory demo at Computex earlier this year topped out at 4000 MT/s and unspecified voltage. My own experience with a 2700X and Memtest86+ showed that stability erodes past 3466, even if 3600 RAM will boot. Awesome that it even booted but the mean is back at 3466-ish unless some huge change has happened between the launch and now.