Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Looks like "buy a Mac with edu discount, get free Beats" promo is back on.

Rather have $150 off. Have too many headphones as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

wait a few months for everyone else to sell theirs and then sell yours

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guess some are already selling. This is the (current) newest model of MBP, right? Any alarms anyone can see? Seems like a good deal if it's a 2017.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ciaphas posted:

Guess some are already selling. This is the (current) newest model of MBP, right? Any alarms anyone can see? Seems like a good deal if it's a 2017.

This is a non touchbar model so from 2017 or 2016 or whatever. It has a laughable 128GB hard drive that can’t be replaced.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is a non touchbar model so from 2017 or 2016 or whatever. It has a laughable 128GB hard drive that can’t be replaced.

I noticed that. A vast amount of my storage on my 256gb drive at home is games, which won't be on this thing, but still a good point. (Ew, unreplacable? Guess some things never change)

Speaking of which, is that touchbar stuff anything more than an amusing 'oh, neat' gimmick, 'cause it sure seems like one

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ciaphas posted:

That's a 2014 if the 2.8Ghz is correct

Otherwise it's a 2012-2015 model. Nowhere near current. If it is a 2015 that's not a terrible price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's a 15 or earlier, look at the ports on the sides. And you can install a new SSD in that model if you use the adapter, there are a few catches though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bob Morales posted:

It's a 15 or earlier, look at the ports on the sides. And you can install a new SSD in that model if you use the adapter, there are a few catches though.

Oh drat, my bad. OP don’t listen to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of which, is that touchbar stuff anything more than an amusing 'oh, neat' gimmick, 'cause it sure seems like one

Over time, I've found myself using it more and more. It's kind of nice to have contextual actions based on app (and also to override it to display normal F-key row on an app by app basis). However, I wouldn't cry if it went away.

The one thing I would absolutely miss is the fingerprint scanner.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Boris Galerkin posted:

Noooooot really.

Typing from a Late 2013 rMBP with a 1 TB 960 EVO installed.

Also I'd say it's more likely to be an Early 2015 13-inch as that came with a 2.7 GHz CPU and a 128 GB SSD. He's overclocking the drat machine before it's even sold.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 17, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

If you’re happy with a 2017 then Best Buy has $100 off plus additional $150 off for students. B&H is doing a flat $200 off and no tax too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

If you’re happy with a 2017 then Best Buy has $100 off plus additional $150 off for students. B&H is doing a flat $200 off and no tax too.

No tax if you live outside NY State.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Apple let me exchange my 2017 MBP for the 2018 and hot drat this thing is fast.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Already have 3 Macs too lol

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've got a late 2013 13" with 8GB RAM. It works just fine, but the 250GB SSD is starting to get a bit tight. I'm considering 2 options.
1. 500GB SSD - £125 for a 970Evo for Prime day. How would it compare in performance to the default? I'm not that techy and the idea of pulling my Mac apart is slightly scary.
2. A BaseQI/Jetdrive solution. Would move things like my iTunes library and other media over clearing up enough space for my SSD to be big enough for applications and the like.

What are people's opinions and experiences with this?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just in case anyone's looking for it:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Magsafe1-Magsafe2-Converter-Supports/dp/B075RZJS2Z/

Converts your old MagSafe Adapter to work with the new 2016/2017 USB-C ports.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Magsafe1-Magsafe2-Converter-Supports/dp/B075RZJS2Z/

Really?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Binary Badger posted:

Want to see someone daisy chain this poo poo off of that hub posted a few pages ago

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

YES! ANOTHER ADAPTER!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Work is paying for the new 2018 i9/32GB of ram. Can't wait!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Enjoy typing on your luxury tech bro status symbol.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

ratbert90 posted:

Work is paying for the new 2018 i9/32GB of ram. Can't wait!

Did they spring for the 4TB SSD?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

YES! ANOTHER ADAPTER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOqOxI0K_I

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Did they spring for the 4TB SSD?

512GB standard. I have network storage if I need more.

Shaocaholica posted:

Enjoy typing on your luxury tech bro status symbol.

I use osx in a KVM most of the time. :smug:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Never mind on the 2010 MacBook Pro. I was so stoked too. Did the bench test, even after fixing it with the software patch, and crashed the machine. Dammit. Time to start saving for whatever garage air refresh they do

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I upgraded to High Sierra about a week ago and everything was fine until today when I’m getting constant kernel panics.

It’s a mid 2011 MacBook Air. Will only start in safe mode. Starting it normally will either end in an endless boot loop or you get to the user login and then it kernel panics within 10 seconds of logging in.

I’ve tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM. No joy. I wanted to reinstall but it panics during the Recovery process so cant do that either.

Got a genius appointment on Friday but how buggered am I? Anyone got any bright suggestions?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure sounds like that embedded GPU issue that has my 2013 MBP taking up space as a doorstop

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a stack of 12 dead 2011 MBPs. All with hosed AMD GFX. Flipchip fail. Goddamn I hate laptops with soldered in components.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I upgraded to High Sierra about a week ago and everything was fine until today when I’m getting constant kernel panics.

It’s a mid 2011 MacBook Air. Will only start in safe mode. Starting it normally will either end in an endless boot loop or you get to the user login and then it kernel panics within 10 seconds of logging in.

I’ve tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM. No joy. I wanted to reinstall but it panics during the Recovery process so cant do that either.

Got a genius appointment on Friday but how buggered am I? Anyone got any bright suggestions?

You had a component fail on the logic board. Either send it to https://www.rossmanngroup.com/ or time for a new machine. The failure was coincidental with the update.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Has anyone played with the Thunderbolt 3 dock from OWC?

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock?_ga=2.21152125.710543640.1531873062-1361584590.1520723549

I’m looking at getting a new 2018 15” MBP and would like to have a one stop shop dongle of my dreams.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Found a good deal today and got a '14 MBP. Oh god Mac is so confusing. Is there a good "please help I'm a loving idiot with MacOS it's been a decade and a half" guide anyone wants to recommend? :saddowns:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Data Graham posted:

Sure sounds like that embedded GPU issue that has my 2013 MBP taking up space as a doorstop

redeyes posted:

I have a stack of 12 dead 2011 MBPs. All with hosed AMD GFX. Flipchip fail. Goddamn I hate laptops with soldered in components.

You guys need to read the OP’s post closer, it’s a mid-2011 MacBook Air. There is no separate graphics chip to fail in a MBA, just an Intel HD 3000 GPU integrated into the Sandy Bridge CPU. I have basically never heard of Intel integrated graphics failing independent of the CPU, whether it’s in Macs or PCs. (Generally speaking, Intel’s chips are super reliable aside from their recent fuckups in certain Atom models frequently used in NAS appliances.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Found a good deal today and got a '14 MBP. Oh god Mac is so confusing. Is there a good "please help I'm a loving idiot with MacOS it's been a decade and a half" guide anyone wants to recommend? :saddowns:

Apple provides a very detailed support site to tell you anything you would need to know about your new Mac.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/welcome/mac

Is there something specific you're having trouble with?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

According to this video the i9 not even run at base clock when under heavy load. Throttle city

https://youtu.be/Dx8J125s4cg

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

According to this video the i9 not even run at base clock when under heavy load. Throttle city

Embarrassing!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Apple provides a very detailed support site to tell you anything you would need to know about your new Mac.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/welcome/mac

Is there something specific you're having trouble with?

Nah. I'm just used to being the guy who knows all the Win key shortcuts and navigates practically by keyboard entirely just from practice and memory, so being cast adrift in general is jarring :v: Thanks though, I'll start from the beginning on that site.

everything just works, why is everything just working, this isn't natural

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not surprised considering they didn't change anything about the form factor.

Ok, ok look. If you need that much power you're using it wrong :colbert:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 18, 2018

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not surprised considering they didn't change anything about the form factor.

Ok, ok look. If you need that much power you're using it wrong :colbert:

I am not shocked it’s Dave 2d, who uses premiere and made no attempt to test it with final cut. Totally fair use case 🤔

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

LionArcher posted:

I am not shocked it’s Dave 2d, who uses premiere and made no attempt to test it with final cut. Totally fair use case 🤔

so final cut somehow is not affected by thermal throttling? why does it matter if he uses premiere if the point is that he can't get the max cpu speed out of the i9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

so final cut somehow is not affected by thermal throttling? why does it matter if he uses premiere if the point is that he can't get the max cpu speed out of the i9?

I’m saying it felt very suspect to me. I would want to see him doing it with two machines side by side, (one running FC one running P) and see if that made a difference. Also, could he have a bad unit? The whole thing. Especially after his terrible video about hating Apple last week did not come off like he entirely knew what he was talking about, or being honest.