Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BisterdDave posted:

Seriously, why the design choice to have a huge white banner at the top of physical games? Are they trying to make physical less appealing in order to force the all-digital future? :tinfoil:

They don’t want people to buy it without noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Manky posted:

Sandisk or Samsung, and make sure it's not from some odd 3rd party seller

That’s the ultimate challenge with Amazon nowadays, hah

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Subjunctive posted:

They don’t want people to buy it without noticing.

Why not make it a bit smaller, or something else that doesn't detract from the front design? Wasn't this something that would normally be on the back of the case, with the other information such as SD space required, # of players, etc.?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is this the same one that was announced a few weeks ago, or are the USB ports new? And it still doesn't have HDMI out... :smith:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Speaking of Sonic Mania, the Plus content is extremely good. I finished Encore mode earlier today. It is pretty interesting and will definitely throw you for a loop if you're very familiar with the original Mania level designs. That said it's going to take a while for me to get the true ending... Those new Special Stages are really fun but extremely challenging, and it doesn't help that they moved some of the ring locations.

Regardless, I'm very happy with the new content and can't wait to give it a more thorough playthrough.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

BisterdDave posted:

Why not make it a bit smaller, or something else that doesn't detract from the front design? Wasn't this something that would normally be on the back of the case, with the other information such as SD space required, # of players, etc.?

because it is a "deal breaker" sort of thing where the game Just Wont Work At All if someone buys it for their kid or w/e and the kid doesnt have a sd card and/or internet connection, so it helps to eliminate outrage and confusion from ppl showing back up to the stores going WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How much is it to add it onto the original game? Or do you have to purchase the whole new game?

Edit: Sonic Mania Plus I mean

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

404notfound posted:

Is this the same one that was announced a few weeks ago, or are the USB ports new? And it still doesn't have HDMI out... :smith:
Yeah, my complaint is it falls short of being an official dock replacement without the HDMI compatibility.

But I've been interested in an officially-licensed way to plug controllers like the Pokken, the arcade stick, or the eventual GCN controller adapter into the switch directly. (There's no official A to C dongle.) And now it looks like I can even plug power and ethernet in with the extra ports. This looks like it does that, but with extra bells and whistles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got a $10 code along with a .99 cent item for .99 cents.:cool:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

pissdude posted:

because it is a "deal breaker" sort of thing where the game Just Wont Work At All if someone buys it for their kid or w/e and the kid doesnt have a sd card and/or internet connection, so it helps to eliminate outrage and confusion from ppl showing back up to the stores going WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME

I understand that's the reason why it's there, I guess I'm just really wanting to say that there has to be other aesthetically pleasing ways to get that message across.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

jivjov posted:

Has anyone here ever been unable to redeem Gold Coins off a new title? Sonic Mania isn't letting me and it's odd
Do you mean the Plus DLC or Sonic Mania itself?

I was just able to put the Plus DLC through as all gold coins with no issue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I also care about the covers of bad indie games nobody should buy outside of a humble

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BisterdDave posted:

Why not make it a bit smaller, or something else that doesn't detract from the front design?

The whole point is that it stands out. Ideally it’s the first thing noticed. People don’t check the back when they’re picking up a game for their grandkid.

E: it’s almost certainly the least intrusive thing that Nintendo thinks will actually work

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

How much is it to add it onto the original game? Or do you have to purchase the whole new game?

Edit: Sonic Mania Plus I mean

If you already own Mania, it's a $5 DLC.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

BisterdDave posted:

I understand that's the reason why it's there, I guess I'm just really wanting to say that there has to be other aesthetically pleasing ways to get that message across.

Aesthetically pleasing? Yes

Without morons noticing? No.

if it isn’t SUPER JARRING OBVIOUS. You will have the biggest idiots missing it and getting mad, thus it looks like total poo poo because it stands out and that’s 100% the point.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The Black Stones posted:

if it isn’t SUPER JARRING OBVIOUS. You will have the biggest idiots missing it and getting mad, thus it looks like total poo poo because it stands out and that’s 100% the point.

Deep down I knew this is the reason why, it just sucks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Black Stones posted:

it reminds me of that picture series of a Wal-Mart DVD section when Pan's Labyrinth came out, and the increasing number of signs saying "THIS IS A SPANISH LANGUAGE MOVIE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

imo make the banner twice as large with shiny foil letters that say THIS GAME WAS MADE BY SHITHEADS WILLING TO gently caress ANYONE BUYING THEIR GAME TO SAVE 10 CENTS

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I got a $10 code along with a .99 cent item for .99 cents.:cool:

They appear to have run out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Seriously, why the design choice to have a huge white banner at the top of physical games? Are they trying to make physical less appealing in order to force the all-digital future? :tinfoil:

Isn't it a 2d indie game? why can't they drop the paper on a 128mb flash cart to hold all that girthy data

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pissdude posted:

I'm having flashbacks to renting DK64 and not owning the expansion pak

Crawfish posted:

Do you mean the Plus DLC or Sonic Mania itself?

I was just able to put the Plus DLC through as all gold coins with no issue.

Bought the physical game today; it's telling me I cannot redeem for coins

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 18, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

me with Majoras Mask

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jivjov posted:

That's ice cold, the rental store I had would put the expansion pak in the rental case when you rented games that required it.

Currently now however, I got all* my old games from my mom. Except she forgot one n64 (for some reason I had 2, maybe got one in a garage sale with a bunch of games?), and that was the one with the expansion pak. So I can't play DK64, Majora's Mask or the campaign for Perfect Dark :saddowns:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Okay.

I got a Switch with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario Odyessy, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Sonic Mania Plus. I also got a 64 GB microSD card and a carrying case.

Anything else I need or am I good to go?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

octopath traveller.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay.

I got a Switch with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario Odyessy, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Sonic Mania Plus. I also got a 64 GB microSD card and a carrying case.

I'd suggest a glass screen protector, other than that you've got a good starting kit

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay.

hello knight

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Did they really need to Captain Toad dash and interact with objects with the same button? Would it have killed them to make B dash and A grab instead of having B and A be duplicates of each other? It's annoying when I'm trying to run away from something but Toad just keeps grabbing onto stuff instead of moving.

Also sucks that it doesn't let you move the camera horizontally and vertically at the same time or adjust its speed. It's not an issue normally, but it makes going for challenge times a lot harder than it needs to be.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay.

You mostly have the must-haves coverered. Those should hold you for a good long while. Somewhere down the line, consider Mario&Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Yes, the dumb crossover game with the Rabbids. Yeah, that one. It's actually super good. I was utterly SHOCKED at how good it is. If you have any taste for strategy... especially more puzzle-ish strategy games, then it's well worth your time! The battles are fun and the humor is super charming. The Rabbids are even likeable. Yes! Likeable Rabbids, you heard that right!

Hope you enjoy your Switch!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can I get a new, bigger SD card and just redownload the games I currently have on the one that is in there?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

mdemone posted:

Can I get a new, bigger SD card and just redownload the games I currently have on the one that is in there?

You should be able to just copy/paste everything over to the new card.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

jivjov posted:

I'd suggest a glass screen protector, other than that you've got a good starting kit

People say that isn't necessary unless you have a kid, and that the screen protectors tend to ruin the color.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

punk rebel ecks posted:

People say that isn't necessary unless you have a kid, and that the screen protectors tend to ruin the color.

People are wrong. I sat and directly compared color on two different Switch units, one with a protector and one without and while slightly different you would be hardpressed to find anyone say it looks worse, and many would say it looks better. Also, the material they use for the screen feels cheap and soft, glass rules.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That warning should be on a loving sticker on the shrinkwrap

I mean, and on the back and whatever but not running the box art

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is this Touhou thing from the same guys as shiren the wanderer? It looks similar but I’m still not sure after some googling.

Never played a touhou but I do like some shiren

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Good Citizen posted:

Is this Touhou thing from the same guys as shiren the wanderer? It looks similar but I’m still not sure after some googling.

It's not by Chunsoft, no, but they did make it as close to a Mystery Dungeon game as they could I guess.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

punk rebel ecks posted:

That is literal bullshit, have you used a glass screen protector on any phone in the last five years or so?

I highly recommend one if only because it makes the screen silky glass smooth vs weird grainy plastic-y. But yeah the screen can scratch pretty easily, it's plastic. It's also 100% not visible unless you somehow really gently caress up the application and get all sorts of dust under the protector

I recommend the amFilm glass ones from Amazon, you get 2 just in case you do gently caress up (it's not hard to apply though) and they're overall really good quality. It's like $12 for a pair

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good Citizen posted:

The upcoming Touhou game or the already released Touhou game, or the recently announced Touhou game? They're all different

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

hello nintendo thread i have just purchased my first nintendo in decades and I am seriously hyped.

i grabbed the switch amazon bundle, and added a real controller (because my hands are original xbox controller sized,) Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. Based on what I hear, even if those are the only two games I play on the Switch it will probably be worth it.

Any recommendations for what to spend my $20 nintendo fun-bucks on? I hear many/most Switch ports of indie PC games are actually really solid, but I also have been mostly playing indie PC games since my PC's graphics card died. I guess I could put it towards a full game like Mario Kart or Mario Tennis? I... probably shouldn't buy mario tennis just for waluigi, right? I mean, I don't even like tennis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not by Chunsoft, no, but they did make it as close to a Mystery Dungeon game as they could I guess.

Any word if it’s as good/deep as a mystery dungeon game? One of those on my switch would be good but all this launch dlc in the store is already offputting

• Locked thread