Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My Evangelion podcast is about to wrap up. I held off on promoting it here because it's behind a paywall but screw it there's a buncha episodes now. It's called Conversation Genesis Evangelion and has had guests like Tristan Cooper from Dorkly, Dawn from Anime Nostalgia Podcast, Bob and Hank from Talking Simpsons, Ed and Alex from the One Piece Podcast and a bunch more awesome peeps. Check it out IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT here https://www.patreon.com/cartoons101

EDIT:
Crap, my self promotion sniped a new page. Uhhhhhh Misato murdered Kaji!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla. It was good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

About to watch 3.33 for the first time. What's the deal with "home video version" and "theatrical version" subs?
Is Home more of a transcription of the English dub? Should I go with Theatrical for a Japanese audio watch?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 17, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC the Home Video Subtitles are the ones that Studio Khara demanded be made (In response to some undisclosed issue they with the theatrical English dubs and subs of 3.33), and according to rumor/what I remember of rumors that's part of the reason why the English release of 3.33 on DVD/blu-ray was delayed for like three entire years. Its a really bizarre rear end story we don't have much concrete information on though (Much like Eva itself dohoho).

I'm not exactly sure on the specific differences between the two subtitle tracks though- a review I see of the blu-ray online says the Home Video subs translates background chatter and the the Theatrical subs don't, so uh go with Home Video I guess?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Teenage Fansub posted:

About to watch 3.33 for the first time.

You poor fool.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is 4.0 ever going to come out or is it a ponzi scheme

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Supposedly there's some kind of announcement related to 3.0 + 1.0 coming later this month at the Wonder Festival.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RZApublican posted:

You poor fool.

Loved it. Absolutely the best redo movie.

Especially after 2, I appreciated the lack of icky fan service.

edit: Just realized Pen Pen wasn't there. I take it back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 17, 2018

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Teenage Fansub posted:

I appreciated the lack of Mari.

agreed tbh

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

3.x is the closest of the rebuilds in spirit to the original series and watching people who had built their entire identities around Getting Evangelion get entirely loving blindsided by it was incredible

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

3.33 basically redeemed Rebuild as a project for me, after I had been pretty iffy on the direction that I thought it was going after 2.22's ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I maintain that I need the fourth film, whatever it turns out to be, to give me some ability to look back on 3.33 retrospectively and view the entire story in its full context. It's always possible that a full rewatch of all three movies would paint a different picture at this juncture but my gut reaction to the initial viewing was not particularly positive.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

3.33 was a pile of interesting ideas executed poorly with no regard to how the story is going to resolve. It was a (very pretty) mess with amazing music. It reminds me of filler material in anime where they need to spin their wheels for a while before the next plot beat can be animated.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
That's all I ever expected from the rebuilds myself. I'll always hold the original series and EoE as the real meat and bones anyway.

Now, in that same vein I'm waiting for 4.0 to be a misguided frenetic stab at what EoE set out to do, here's hoping huh

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought it was great.

Honestly surprised there isnt a meme of showing 3.33 to people(japanese audio only, no subs) and filming their reactions

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I watched 3 alone in a cinema in Roppongi the first time I saw it, understanding about 10% of what was said. It was utterly incomprehensible. It does look amazing on a massive screen though.

Raxivace posted:

3.33 basically redeemed Rebuild as a project for me, after I had been pretty iffy on the direction that I thought it was going after 2.22's ending.

I'm a big fan of 3.33, but I think the ending of 2.22 is where Rebuild becomes interesting. Shinji actually meanfully rebelling from the bonds he's been put under in a way that's both hard to argue against from a moral standpoint and perfectly illustrates why putting hormonal teenagers in charge of saving the world is a terrible idea was the perfect encapsulation of original Evangelion.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Raxivace posted:

Supposedly there's some kind of announcement related to 3.0 + 1.0 coming later this month at the Wonder Festival.

Anno will announce that Rebuild 3.0 WAS the intended ending all along, gets confused as to why all the fan clamoring for a final film.

Then he will announce that 3.0+1.0 is a digest movie of the previous three films.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
All I wanted was travelling Gendo and Fuyutsuki like the end of 2.0 teased.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Console Role Player posted:

Then he will announce that 3.0+1.0 is a digest movie of the previous three films.

This version of 3.0+1.0 will be release to critical acclaim and universal accolades. Hayao Miyazaki will attend the premiere and afterwards congratulate Anno for finally making a better film than he could. Miyazaki's final words will be "I give you the keys to the anime kingdom. You are now my son."

Goro Miyazaki looks on in disgust.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
3.33 really helped me get a handle on the shinji/kaworu relationship. by transposing it into such an alien and hostile environment it becomes obvious why shinji would so quickly and easily grab hold of an emotional lifeline. on reflection the same dynamic is present in the tv version, but it was a bit too subtle for me

my hope for 3.0+1.0 is that kaji is still alive and it turns out if he had just been around longer to give shinji chill advice in the original then the series would have come to a less emotionally messy conclusion

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

3.0 ruled and the complete deviation from what was teased at the end of 2.0 was incredible.

Currently rewatching the whole thing from the beginning with my partner who'd never heard of it before and she's really digging it even though the opening episodes are slow as balls. Next up is Ramiel so that's exciting. I haven't mentioned anything about how completely off the rails it goes and I'm looking foward to seeing how she reacts!! :kiddo:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Post updates ^

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
post updates

also it’s summer time baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

3.x is the closest of the rebuilds in spirit to the original series and watching people who had built their entire identities around Getting Evangelion get entirely loving blindsided by it was incredible

Seconding this; I'm flabbergasted by the post that denigrated Misato's character "change" in 3.xx

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of the best moments in Evangelion for me was Fuyustki's talk with Shinji and when Yui's giant dead grinning face showed up behind him. The image of Yui being lowered into the Eva core was deeply unsettling.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Zeruel posted:

All I wanted was travelling Gendo and Fuyutsuki like the end of 2.0 teased.

4.0 is going to follow on from the end of 2.22, and explain how 3.0 came about and it's going to answer all the questions and make perfect sense.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

4.0 is going to follow on from the end of 2.22, and explain how 3.0 came about and it's going to answer all the questions and make perfect sense.

This would be the most disappointing direction it could go imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah agreed as a long time eva fan 3.33 is good, disjointed but the most interesting of the 3 films, 1 and 2 are alright but have nothing new to say really

3.33 has all the huge scale apocalyptic mindfuck stuff and all the characters collapsing under the weight of their own flaws that i loved from eva

for my money though End of Evangelion already ended things pretty perfectly so anything else is just icing

e: the english dub of these movies is insanely bad though lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think the original series shortchanged the hell out of Rei because Anno didn't know what to do with her as a character, and much as I like Shinji and Misato as main characters I hope Rebuild 4 isn't as centrally about them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

yeah agreed as a long time eva fan 3.33 is good, disjointed but the most interesting of the 3 films, 1 and 2 are alright but have nothing new to say really

3.33 has all the huge scale apocalyptic mindfuck stuff and all the characters collapsing under the weight of their own flaws that i loved from eva

for my money though End of Evangelion already ended things pretty perfectly so anything else is just icing

e: the english dub of these movies is insanely bad though lol

the original theatrical english dub of 3.0 was so bad that they pulled it and redubbed it before home release iirc.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

In Training posted:

the original theatrical english dub of 3.0 was so bad that they pulled it and redubbed it before home release iirc.

Did they name the new one 3.3? :v:

The whole "Eva 2, opps, 2.2, uh... no it's fixed this time, 2.22 I swear" thing is amusing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
3.33 felt like a movie that was rushed horribly. Characters just kind of change for no real reason to move the plot along and the movie just seemed like it wanted to set up the last one more than doing anything interesting.

I dunno I know that it’s been said Anno would rather everyone move on from evangelion so maybe he is just going through the motions or something.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
He reportedly wasn't feeling it wrt evangelion, but after directing godzilla he's renewed and ready to face instrumentality once again.

there was some animated short about it, it was pretty interesting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

3.33 felt like a movie that was rushed horribly. Characters just kind of change for no real reason to move the plot along and the movie just seemed like it wanted to set up the last one more than doing anything interesting.

I can totally understand someone not liking Rebuild 3 stylistically or disagreeing with what it has to say (or seems to say), but I honestly don't understand how anyone could think this.

3.33 is a movie made almost entirely of characters following their motivations and personalities to their logical conclusions -- in a surreal, vacuum-like environment. There's nothing but the thing you say is missing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can totally understand someone not liking Rebuild 3 stylistically or disagreeing with what it has to say (or seems to say), but I honestly don't understand how anyone could think this.

3.33 is a movie made almost entirely of characters following their motivations and personalities to their logical conclusions -- in a surreal, vacuum-like environment. There's nothing but the thing you say is missing.

I um don’t see this so I guess we both agree that the other one is seeing something wrong. Hell most the characters don’t even really get enough screen time to show any character. Due to the movies rather break neck pacing.

The only character that felt like the character she always is Asuka.

Angel boy is the same but honestly he was always more of a device for shinji rather than a character himself. Which fits the movie really well.

Zeruel posted:

He reportedly wasn't feeling it wrt evangelion, but after directing godzilla he's renewed and ready to face instrumentality once again.

there was some animated short about it, it was pretty interesting.

Good for him I can understand being burnt out on the subject but if he feels renewed that’s cool.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 19, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I guess the timeskip messes with people, because it shows where e.g. Misato or Fuyutsuki end up with no explicit information about how they got there. However, these characters are so thoroughly characterized by the TV series (and to a smaller but still significant extent by the earlier Rebuild movies) that it's not that hard to fill in the blanks.

Misato is simultaneously driven by a pathological need for revenge -- to the point where not only will she send children to war, but she thrives as a human being, is her "best" self while doing it -- while at the same time keenly understanding the pain of being abandoned by a parent. She identifies with Shinji, but callously uses him as a tool.

In EoE, she dies saving Shinji's life, just like her father died saving her. There's a certain tragicomic irony to it but we obviously get to find out how she feels about re-living that scenario from the other side.

In Rebuild 2 and 3, people always seem confused that Misato cheers for him in the end of 2 and then hates him in the beginning of 3. But think about it from Misato's perspective.

In Rebuild 2, Shinji is living her fantasy -- not just slaughtering angels, even, but slaughtering them to save / resurrect a beloved family member. He is doing more than she ever dared dream. And in so doing, he (apparently) causes a repeat of the exact same phenomenon that killed her father in the first place.

It's as if Shinji said to her: "Your dreams are the cause of everything that ever went wrong in your life. Your wish for your father to still be alive, for him to respect you, your desire to avenge him, are all hopelessly wrong. I am you, and I am your worst enemy. Your hatred for the angels is just self-loathing in disguise."

So of course she's furious with him at the beginning of Rebuild 3. And of course she can't actually kill him, because despite being an obsessive, self-loathing two-time survivor of the apocalypse, she still sees herself in him and is smart enough to know it's not actually his fault.

Compare this to Ritsuko who evaluates him purely in terms of threat potential and is like "jesus Misato just kill him before it's too late."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you have to fill in the blanks or infer info from another series you are doing it poorly. At least in regards to characterization.

Which is my issue with the rebuilds, they feel like an abridged version of the TV series in a series with not a lot of fat.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 19, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or take Fuyutsuki, who feels responsible for the mess his generation made of the world and committed himself to supporting the kids (that is, Yui and then Gendo) as they try to clean up after him and his contemporaries.

In TV Evangelion, Fuyutsuki is a tireless champion of humanity as it is. He is loyal to Gendo through a combination of their both loving Yui, both rejecting the destruction of humankind as a whole and seeing something of value in human life as we know it (strange as this is to say of Gendo, it is there) and then finally out of pragmatism.

In EoE, Yui basically outplays everyone and Fuyutsuki gets to go out knowing his work is done. There's a certain tension in this because, like, it's still the apocalypse, and maybe the ease with which he takes it isn't really earned or deserved, but at any rate he doesn't have to question himself or hide his allegiances any more.

In Rebuild, Yui is (probably) gone. Eva-01 is empty. Instead of Lilith, we have Yui's literal giant decomposing corpse. Fuyutsuki still has that sense of responsibility -- still is willing to work with Gendo to resist SEELE's plans for the world -- but their shared motivations are falling apart. Instead of getting to gracefully "retire," Fuyutsuki has to sit and watch as all of the bullshit he wanted to deal with gets passed on to another generation, as Gendo follows in the footsteps of the men he used to work against, and as Yui's memory literally rots away as he watches. He has to watch what he says and can only give cryptic and impossible advice to Shinji, and is miserable but stuck.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 19, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you have to fill in the blanks or infer info from another series you are doing it poorly. At least in regards to characterization.

There's nothing poorly done about it. What you're describing is how Evangelion has always worked. The series is confusing and sometimes even seemingly random on the surface -- because people don't communicate about what they want, about what hurts them -- but it gives you all the information you need to understand them.

The only difference with Rebuild is that it hasn't been around as long, isn't as big a phenomenon as the original, and isn't finished, so not all of this has been explicitly teased out the way it has for the TV series. It's still very much there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm with Tuxdeo Catfish on this one. This isn't about inferring from other shows, the characters are already well established in their motivations. Their actions in 3 are nothing more than a drawn out end game for a lot of their core drives. The big thing is that all the change in 3 is more or less window dressing. They have different costumes and a few new names, but none of them have escaped any of their personal disasters from the first two. They've at best reformed themselves to feel more pleasing to their person than the world order like they previously were. Which is why I felt like it was a good twist direction, it looks new, but all of the actual conflict is what we were left with at the end of the second film, stuck in a hellish purgatory waiting for them to bring our boy Shinji back to the story.

It's been a while since I last watched it, but I never got the impression beyond the confusion of the first watch through, that anyone had really changed beyond trying to frame themselves in a better light to help motivate them to survive this mess they've created.