Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Merauder posted:

Got my copy of Container from KS last night, and whoever thought it was necessary to pack out the 85 shipping container components in tiny individual ziplock baggies deserves to be punched.

Are you kidding me? Maybe it's just your copy... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

FulsomFrank posted:

Are you kidding me? Maybe it's just your copy... :(

I mean don't get me wrong, everything looks great and all, and I'm excited to play it. But yeah, take your worst experience with "punching a game" and dial it to 11, imo. After about 10 of them I just got scissors and cut them all open instead of fighting with the tiny little seals.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The individually bagged containers were because of the paint used. Many people’s bags of additional 15 containers ended up being dried together. Just wondering, but if either of you didn’t get the additional 15, did you also get the note that talked about rushing out the shipment and getting a replacement 15 later? Curious.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Introducing VAST: Crystal Caverns to 5 new players at the same time, myself included: bad idea or worst idea? I love the asymmetry, but it kinda looks like 5 different games that happen to play in one place and sounds like the perfect recipe for major rule fuckups.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Chill la Chill posted:

The individually bagged containers were because of the paint used. Many people’s bags of additional 15 containers ended up being dried together. Just wondering, but if either of you didn’t get the additional 15, did you also get the note that talked about rushing out the shipment and getting a replacement 15 later? Curious.

Remind me to open mine tomorrow. I did get the extra 15.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
The Trogdor board game kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999933720/trogdor-the-board-game

It's a co-op designed by the designer of Tak, interestingly enough. Seems like it's a design that'll be prone to quarterbacking pretty bad, but after watching the little playthrough video, it at least looks fun and like there's plenty of choices to be made on your turn.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Merauder posted:

I just got scissors and cut them all open instead of fighting with the tiny little seals.

Getting a pretty wild mental image from this phrasing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jejoma posted:

Getting a pretty wild mental image from this phrasing.

*yip!* *yip!* *yip!*

gently caress off you little shits! *brandishes scissors*

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

al-azad posted:

But you basically do get bonus points, those points being income. Iceland requires the least investment for the greatest monetary return and cash is flat out the best thing to have in AFfO.

Not that I'm disagreeing or anything; silver is definitely the most flexible thing. Just want to bring something up related to this.

In game terms silver (e: meaning income -- not counting from mountain tiles or exploration bonus) is more "expensive" to get than tile coverage. That's the price you pay choosing tiles instead of silver: you lose flexibility and your planning had better be on point because tiles are good for only one thing. You can easily paint yourself into a corner, since excess tiles are worth nothing (silver is worth points however) and tiles have placement restrictions but silver does not. Not to mention you can buy things (or feed people) with silver too for added flexibility. Going heavy on tiles means you also need to be much more judicious about buildings and exploration because the base board isn't worth any VP itself; it only has -1's to cover.

But if you can use them, going for tile coverage will always get you higher scores compared to going for silver (because it's more efficient to obtain).

The right mix is the right move; eschewing silver entirely for tiles in theory would give you maximum point opportunity but is pro tier only & basically like playing with zero storage capacity in Antiquity :frogc00l:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 17, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Probably either going to play my new copies of Brass this weekend or if I don't get them in time, Caverna.

Did you get any sort of shipping confirmation? The last I saw was his July 6 update. It's increasingly likely that my copies will arrive during the week between when my movers have packed the truck and when I leave town!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

dropkickpikachu posted:

The Trogdor board game kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999933720/trogdor-the-board-game

It's a co-op designed by the designer of Tak, interestingly enough. Seems like it's a design that'll be prone to quarterbacking pretty bad, but after watching the little playthrough video, it at least looks fun and like there's plenty of choices to be made on your turn.

I like the flippable huts with one side normal and the other on fire.

I've gotten pretty interested in Boom & Zoom, and just discovered you can get a print and play version online for 12 USD. I think I might try that and make my own set - the pieces and board look really simple.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I haven't backed a kickstarter in a long time, but it's loving Homestar, how can I resist?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CaptainRightful posted:

Did you get any sort of shipping confirmation? The last I saw was his July 6 update. It's increasingly likely that my copies will arrive during the week between when my movers have packed the truck and when I leave town!
No shipping notification yet unfortunately. Still hoping though

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

dropkickpikachu posted:

Extremely lol that there is already a backer at the 1800 level.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

The games arrived in EU on the 13th and fulfilment has begun, although I haven't received confirmation yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Sinewave posted:

I like the flippable huts with one side normal and the other on fire.

And the meeples with slots for the fire to go on their head lol. Very cute.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

I definitely didn't get a bag of extra containers, nor did I see any note about them. I don't really pay attention too much to campaigns after they've concluded so I've missed whatever this is all about.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The extra containers were not individually bagged, and many people have reported paint chipping on the extras. My extra containers also have splotches of missing paint, and a note saying they'll send better painted extras later. The extra containers matter because they increase the length of the game to match the original edition. That impacts every game you play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I sent them an email saying I didn’t even get this set of 15. The box just had the note and the game, no 15 and I paid for the extra. So I was wondering if they actually neglected to include my 15 and if they gave the note about it to everyone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pierzak posted:

Introducing VAST: Crystal Caverns to 5 new players at the same time, myself included: bad idea or worst idea? I love the asymmetry, but it kinda looks like 5 different games that happen to play in one place and sounds like the perfect recipe for major rule fuckups.

The key point of the game is how the guys interact with each other and knowing what they can do. Don't take shortcuts of "everyone look at your sheet and we'll go" unless you want somebody winning because people didn't realize they had ways to stop him, or the dragon making GBS threads out gems because their sheet just says "this is how they help me" and not "the thief really likes these, don't drop em when they're close." Everyone plays differently with different goals, but they're not playing their own games.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

The key point of the game is how the guys interact with each other and knowing what they can do. Don't take shortcuts of "everyone look at your sheet and we'll go" unless you want somebody winning because people didn't realize they had ways to stop him, or the dragon making GBS threads out gems because their sheet just says "this is how they help me" and not "the thief really likes these, don't drop em when they're close." Everyone plays differently with different goals, but they're not playing their own games.
Thanks. I found a cheat sheet of "here's what each class does for/to you" cards that I'm probably gonna print out and give to players.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I played Concordia and Decrypto for the first time this weekend, and both own. Decrypto takes a round or three for it to click, but it feels smooth after that.

I am curious to hear some takes on this. Decrypto seems to have a similar rule to Codenames where the clue has to relate to the definition of the word. Two of our words were Scream and Nose. I gave the clues Ice Cream and Bo respectively, playing off the idioms I Scream for Ice Cream and Bo Knows. I didn't give the clues strictly for the rhymes; I was playing off established social tropes. Do you think that I cheated there, or would you consider that fair play.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Pierzak posted:

It will work, there should be a video series gnat you should make your friends watch.

My only issue with 5 new players is the goblins probably won’t be competitive at all so really only the hero, dragon, or thief stand a chance to win.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Shadow225 posted:

I played Concordia and Decrypto for the first time this weekend, and both own. Decrypto takes a round or three for it to click, but it feels smooth after that.

I am curious to hear some takes on this. Decrypto seems to have a similar rule to Codenames where the clue has to relate to the definition of the word. Two of our words were Scream and Nose. I gave the clues Ice Cream and Bo respectively, playing off the idioms I Scream for Ice Cream and Bo Knows. I didn't give the clues strictly for the rhymes; I was playing off established social tropes. Do you think that I cheated there, or would you consider that fair play.

I'd say the Scream one was fine (as it relates to the phrase, which includes Ice Cream), but the Bo one is based off of the word, and not the definition, and I'd argue is invalid. Also I have no idea what 'Bo Knows' is so that clue would fly right over my head anyway.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 17, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

They're not valid because they're a play on words and don't relate to the word itself. My group established that a clue should be searchable. It can be as obscure as you want it so long as you can prove it is "public knowledge" with a search.

Things get muddy because Decrypto lets you mime or use sound effects but I find this actually makes people more on topic than thinking of a word or phrase. Like one clue for library I got was "SSSHHH!" with a finger pressed to lips, which is vague by itself but is related to places where you're supposed to be quiet.

e: Specifically, "Scream" for Ice Cream could be argued that it's too close to pronunciation and "Bo" isn't related to nose.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 17, 2018

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

al-azad posted:

Things get muddy because Decrypto lets you mime or use sound effects but I find this actually makes people more on topic than thinking of a word or phrase. Like one clue for library I got was "SSSHHH!" with a finger pressed to lips, which is vague by itself but is related to places where you're supposed to be quiet.

I'd consider that too charades-y for a legal clue.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

pospysyl posted:

I'd consider that too charades-y for a legal clue.

The person who taught me Decrypto said that rules state that you can use pantomime and sound effects to give a clue, but you also have to write it down; good luck!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OmegaGoo posted:

The person who taught me Decrypto said that rules state that you can use pantomime and sound effects to give a clue, but you also have to write it down; good luck!

Right the rules let you hum, mime, dance, or do anything as part of a clue provided you can describe it enough to write it down.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, I was just going by Codenames rules, I haven't actually played Decrypto.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Also I have no idea what 'Bo Knows' is so that clue would fly right over my head anyway.

It's an old ad campaign starring Bo Jackson. He mostly knows football and baseball.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwry6vAWG4g

Bo Jackson was an all-star in both Baseball and Football and he also competed in Track&Field in college. His all-rounder status became a meme even before Nike ran with it.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ok, but do the rules allow for homophones? Because that clue still applies to 'knows,' not 'nose.'

"The Clues must refer to the meaning of the
Keywords," says the manual, and I think it excludes that sort of thing

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

dropkickpikachu posted:

It's a co-op designed by the designer of Tak...

It's kind of surreal, hearing James Ernest referred to principally as "the designer of Tak" instead of "the cheapass games guy."

He's been self-publishing games since '95. It's kind of wild how much Tak has eclipsed everything else he's done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gutter Owl posted:

He's been self-publishing games since '95. It's kind of wild how much Tak has eclipsed everything else he's done.

Good for him, it's a brilliant game and I hope it's made him a good bit of money.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh, speaking of, I ran into him at Origins and he mentioned that later this year he's publishing Every Cheapass Game: The Book(? I think it was a book)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm fairly confident that, in the given example, Scream would be allowed but Nose wouldn't. Completely irrespective of whether the words sound similar, Scream absolutely is a part of the popular phrase "I scream for ice-cream". The connection in meaning is there. It "happens" to be that the words also rhyme, making it easier on the allied team, but I'd argue it's not against the rule.

Whereas on the other hand, Bo and Nose are connected exclusively via the sound of nose/knows. That's not allowed.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played Decrypto for the first time the other day and I think I fell foul of that rule as well without realising it - I gave the clue "a pin" for "attack".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aston posted:

I played Decrypto for the first time the other day and I think I fell foul of that rule as well without realising it - I gave the clue "a pin" for "attack".

Sounds relevant to me. The important thing is that I can understand how it ties into the actual keyword. If your next clue was "grapple" or something along those lines, even "en garde!" I would know where you were going with it but saying "heart" would definitely throw me off.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Gutter Owl posted:

It's kind of surreal, hearing James Ernest referred to principally as "the designer of Tak" instead of "the cheapass games guy."

Jame Ernest? Color me interested.

He's always impressed as a thinker, someone who chews over the way games work (or don't) and comes out with some really clever designs as a result. It's crazy how he hasn't had more recognition.

Obligatory caveat that there's some real stinker designs in his history, like most professional game designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gutter Owl posted:

I've always liked him for the surreal themes he finds. I admit that many of his games are sort of products of their time, but he has always been one of my favorites.