Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you that far above the level on all your characters or just the main party?

Just the main party, I think my lowest is Therion who is still 12 or something.

Of course, at this point Tressa is so beefy she could probably solo the level 20 bosses so I can't make a second team full of babbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

Just the main party, I think my lowest is Therion who is still 12 or something.

Well that's why you're so overleveled you dingus

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zore posted:

Yeah and farming for it can be dangerous in boss fights since a really common dance result is 'Lost all your items' which makes you lose access to the item/concoct commands for the rest of the battle.

It absolutely fucks up any panic buttons you have.

TBH, you'd use it in a random battle against an enemy that isn't a big risk because I think you can turn an enemy in to either of the Cait monsters and I imagine that probably triggers far more than the 100x exp effect.

404notfound posted:

How do you stock up on concoct ingredients?

Buy them, unless they're drop/steal only items in which case break out Therion and the thief passive that gives double items/gold when robbing enemies. I think some items are steal/chest only. Like Soulstones (unless you can buy soulstones and I just never paid attention to it).

Tae posted:

I'm assuming Theron's SP thief drops off quick, because it's been my main damage dealer since it's a natural two hit and basically is free.

With a viper dagger (insanely strong weapon but somewhat easily reachable in a purple chest in the desert ruins just outside of the city to the south of wellspring) each hit oh HP or SP thief does several thousand damage. Sure, his divine skill is more powerful but HP/SP thief damage isn't too bad. Plus since it hits twice that means you break 2 shields off of an enemy with a dagger weak point.

Terper posted:

Equip some weaker gear.

This. I'm over level 40 on Therion and he has gear that lets him take down level 50+ enemies but if I put him in lovely gear he'd still struggle against chapter 2 enemies/bosses. Plus it seems like HP gains don't really accelerate in this game. Someone with over 4k HP is probably level 60+ or they're using +hp accessories/passives. I saw an NPC with a +1000hp necklace somewhere and I'm trying to find them again to steal from because that 1000hp would nearly double my Cyrus's HP from his base. But at least the 500hp accessories aren't too rare.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 17, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Well that's why you're so overleveled you dingus

So I'm supposed to switch out my entire party (which isn't even possible since the main is locked) every time I do a new chapter? Like, I've been doing Tressa, Alfyn etc. since they're my pals and I want to see their interactions and stuff.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Uhhh so may main character is like level 30 and I’ve not done any of the Chapter 2 stories. Like I just keep in wanting to do side quests or explore dungeons and defeat extra bosses that I don’t need to. Plus the subclass system gives room for so much experimentation and I’m jus having so much fun that I don’t necessarily need the plot to continue. When a game has so much that you can put off doing the stories for so long, it has to be doing something right. These side quests are the best. Theracio is a cinnamon bun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

So I'm supposed to switch out my entire party (which isn't even possible since the main is locked) every time I do a new chapter? Like, I've been doing Tressa, Alfyn etc. since they're my pals and I want to see their interactions and stuff.

Not being able to switch out the main character seems like a pretty big balance issue, honestly. Even if you switch around your party all the time, they're going to end up really overleveled, and that kind of sucks.

Also I find the "intentionally handicap yourself by not using the tools the game gives you to correct for its poor balancing" to be an extremely annoying suggestion every time it comes up because that really isn't a satisfying solution, before anyone suggests that. I get irrationally angry at that one. There are probably some very embarrassing posts of mine to that end in the Breath of the Wild thread

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I did a whole BUNCH of sidequests and optional dungeons and running around to various towns and ended up starting chapter 2s at level 19-20 for everyone else and 25-26 for Therion. I even beat a couple Caits in there, and didn't run away from any encounters. I don't even understand how you could be touching 40 by this point :psyduck:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I think one reason was that I didn’t realise there was a fast travel mechanic until today, so I was walking A LOT and picking up tons of experience that way. Plus I did a bit of grinding for the Merchant Divine skill that lets me make mad cash.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Finally starting with the Chapter 4s. Done Primrose, Tressa, and H'aanit's so far. Primrose's story had a nice ending, but drat if it didn't stay dark all the way through. Tressa by contrast was just a feel-good story :3: which was something I really needed after Primrose's. H'aanit's story also had a good ending, but drat if Redeye wasn't a nightmarish thing, especially with the implication that it was once a human.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Really marveled by Your Computers constant ability to have bespoke and unique issues with a game.

It’s like a fixture of Games threads :allears:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Your Computer posted:

PIck the four you want to play as. Then just play all their chapters 1-4. Then you can retire all four of them, pick up the other four, and do all their chapters 1-4.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been doing an all rogue party, done with H'aanit, Therion and Cyrus' chapter 3s and my party is level 34-36. I've run from maybe 1 battle the whole time. Definitely going to finish all the Rogue storylines before I swap over to an all Noble party. The game is super fun underleveled, I loved H'aanit and Therion's chapter 3 bosses.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

No but you can switch out the other three pretty well. One overleveled party member is still not ideal I know but at least everyone else will probably be at level.

Or just accept that this is sort of how a lot of jrpgs work when you do a lot of exploring.

Also this didn't help :v:

Your Computer posted:

You know how I was concerned about overleveling? Oops!

I think Primrose got the most with like... 12 levels or something. From one battle. How?

and I got 2x and 5x EXP from Bewildering Grace.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

PIck the four you want to play as. Then just play all their chapters 1-4. Then you can retire all four of them, pick up the other four, and do all their chapters 1-4.

Yeah this is what I'm doing except starting at ch3 for the second squad. Should basically be like a new game+ since I can transfer over all my high end gear and the extra jobs.

DuckKnight
Mar 5, 2017
Is H'aanit comparable to Olberic in terms of dishing out damage? I've seen some videos of Olberic annihilating dudes, but don't even hear anything about H'aanit. I really like the idea of a blue mage.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Do Alfyn and Zeph end up together in the end? If not, this game is trash

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I can't start either Ch 2 in Quarryquest for Cyrus or Tressa. I was dumped into Quarryquest after doing Therion's Ch 2, and there was no quest prompt. I've left and re-entered the city in every possible combination Cyrus only / Tressa Only / Both of them, and I've walked around the entire city and even went over to the manor outside of town.

What am I doing wrong here... the other ch 2 quest I did started immediately when I entered the town. I'm out of ideas, hoping I'm just doing something dumb and my game isn't broken.

edit: I'm dumb, talk to tavern keeper to restart a quest apparently

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 18, 2018

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

mitztronic posted:

I can't start either Ch 2 in Quarryquest for Cyrus or Tressa. I was dumped into Quarryquest after doing Therion's Ch 2, and there was no quest prompt. I've left and re-entered the city in every possible combination Cyrus only / Tressa Only / Both of them, and I've walked around the entire city and even went over to the manor outside of town.

What am I doing wrong here... the other ch 2 quest I did started immediately when I entered the town. I'm out of ideas, hoping I'm just doing something dumb and my game isn't broken.

If i remember right, you need to talk to the town bartender and specifically choose to start the quest.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I got the 7th Cleric skill for Ophilia to unlock her 4th passive and I think that might just be the thing I was missing for taking on that optional content boss at a way low level. The only thing now is that at least one other character and preferably 3 other characters need to learn it, too, so I'll be needing more JP before the attempt.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I don't get how people see Primroses story as dark. I just did Chapter 3 and when you've fought your way through a mansion full of enemies to kill one of the assassins of your father, who you've just learned had been a close confidant of your father, and suddenly another close friend of the family shows up right there after killing the assassin for no good reason, who you then proceed to let get close enough to shank you, that's so ridiculous it's comedy and not dark.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I got the 7th Cleric skill for Ophilia to unlock her 4th passive and I think that might just be the thing I was missing for taking on that optional content boss at a way low level. The only thing now is that at least one other character and preferably 3 other characters need to learn it, too, so I'll be needing more JP before the attempt.

It isn't quite as powerful as it looks because it maxes out at the first heal above your maximum health. So if you're down 1000 HP and you heal for 1005, you've got an extra 5 hit points that can't go any higher until you go below your max again. It's still useful as a buffer, but it isn't perfect.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 18, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nessin posted:

I don't get how people see Primroses story as dark.

Might be because she starts as a sex slave.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So the final final secret boss has to be the sealed god Galdera, right? I assume that there was some big evil summoning that wiped out Hornburg and weakened the bindings of Galdera.

I’m only just finishing up the last of the eight chapter 1s. And so that is my guess to the meta narrative.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DuckKnight posted:

Is H'aanit comparable to Olberic in terms of dishing out damage? I've seen some videos of Olberic annihilating dudes, but don't even hear anything about H'aanit. I really like the idea of a blue mage.

Yeah. She's basically straight better at damage than him since they have identical base strength and she has better accuracy and crit.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, I was just thinking this game was getting too easy but now Alfyn's Chap 3 boss is wiping my rear end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Would you go Alfyn/Cleric or Tressa/Cleric? Tressa/Cleric spreads out the healing a bit more in the party, but Alfyn seems like he'd be better at it, and I don't know if that's wasting Tressa's potential as a physical damage dealer.

For reference, the rest of my party is Therion/Hunter and Primrose/Scholar. Whoever doesn't get Cleric will get Warrior, probably.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

I don't get how people see Primroses story as dark. I just did Chapter 3 and when you've fought your way through a mansion full of enemies to kill one of the assassins of your father, who you've just learned had been a close confidant of your father, and suddenly another close friend of the family shows up right there after killing the assassin for no good reason, who you then proceed to let get close enough to shank you, that's so ridiculous it's comedy and not dark.

It isn't quite as powerful as it looks because it maxes out at the first heal above your maximum health. So if you're down 1000 HP and you heal for 1005, you've got an extra 5 hit points that can't go any higher until you go below your max again. It's still useful as a buffer, but it isn't perfect.

When you start a battle and instantly healmore your whole team for 2k+ it really shows its strengths. I've got it on everyone now.

Also I've finished only three chapter 4s and there's already stories intertwining? What was that kotaku guy smoking

Edit: plus a bunch of unresolved background poo poo that's obviously going to be expanded on later. I dunno how you can get this far and think it's all completely separate.

acumen fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 18, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Really marveled by Your Computers constant ability to have bespoke and unique issues with a game.

It’s like a fixture of Games threads :allears:

It’s not very unique. I’m way overleveled too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Well I decided to snap the game’s difficulty. With Cyrus’s support skill, I made it up to Grandport around the time I started doing chapter 2s. I grabbed a dagger with high evade from the merchants there, and stacked evasion as high as I could go on Olberic before challenging the NPC blocking the house. After like 20 min, I beat the guy so I could go inside and scrutinize the old lady, who gives a huge boost to steal rates (3% -> 80%+, usually). I then proceeded to rob the town blind and now my Thief Tressa’s got 597 evade. :v: Time to carry on with chapter 2s!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So is there a guide on what triggers party banter?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Preeettyyy sure it's triggered by having the right character in your party at specific moments during a chapter quest

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harlock posted:

So is there a guide on what triggers party banter?

It just triggers after you progress steps in a characters Chapter 2+ questline if you have the right people in your party.

Usually it's between the quest important person and one other. So in Primrose Chapter 2 she triggers it with Cyrus, Tressa, Therion and H'annit as the story moves through and it usually involves them having a little backstory (Cyrus talking about how he loves to dance but sucks at it, Tressa not knowing what a brothel is, H'annit bonding with her over dead parents etc).

If you want to be sure to see all of it just fast travel to an in and rotate your party between every cutscene. Or don't worry about it because the skits are really minor.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man the scholar's chapter 2 dungeon is loving hard.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope somebody out there has documented which skits can appear at what times. That seems like the sort of obsessive gimmick that I'd follow a guide for, given the opportunity.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah I think each character has one per other characters chapter that all trigger at different points.

My party for Primrose Chapter 2 of Olberic, Tressa, and Ophilia all triggered before I even went into the dungeon.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I’ve just been rotating homies through and leveling up everyone evenly. It hasn’t hurt me yet, I like using everyone. It makes sense, too, since everyone has to bob and weave in and out of your party for their stories.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Levelling up everyone evenly is probably the best way to play. It'd retain the difficulty curve throughout the game and you'll never feel bad about switching anyone out. I just like the four characters I've stuck with too much at this point to do anything else.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also the post game requires you to have everyone levelled and equipped. So uh don't go whole hog on a single party if you want to do the final wrap up chapter stuff.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

https://twitter.com/ouroborose/status/1018774992626987008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zore posted:

It just triggers after you progress steps in a characters Chapter 2+ questline if you have the right people in your party.

Usually it's between the quest important person and one other. So in Primrose Chapter 2 she triggers it with Cyrus, Tressa, Therion and H'annit as the story moves through and it usually involves them having a little backstory (Cyrus talking about how he loves to dance but sucks at it, Tressa not knowing what a brothel is, H'annit bonding with her over dead parents etc).

If you want to be sure to see all of it just fast travel to an in and rotate your party between every cutscene. Or don't worry about it because the skits are really minor.

Another thing about Cyrus: He's a bad singer. Tressa is going to have nightmares about his singing for a while. Olberic took it slightly better.

With Olberic's Chapter 4 done, I only need to do Ophilia, Cyrus, Alfyn, and Therion's chapter 4s. Gonna begin with Ophilia's Chapter 4 next, and I can already tell that this is going to be interesting judging by the NPC villagers in Whispermill not talking or giving anything out other than that they are pious people of some kind. After that, I'll be doing Therion, Alfyn, and finally Cyrus's Chapter 4.